PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Strategy w/ Young?

SoonerGOP
1/8/2006, 05:52 PM
Should New Orleans threaten to take Vince Young in order to entice Tennessee to offer a trade for the second overall pick plus a 6th round or something?

You know Tennessee is going to want Young badly. And Young will want anywhere but NO. Especially with the close tie to McNair.

Thoughts?

TopDawg
1/8/2006, 06:17 PM
It probably depends largely on what they'd want for the #2 pick, but with Norm Chow at TN, they might be perfectly content letting NO take Young.

Keyser
1/8/2006, 07:02 PM
It probably depends largely on what they'd want for the #2 pick, but with Norm Chow at TN, they might be perfectly content letting NO take Young.

Agreed im sure people in the organization are going to be lobbying both ways.

SoonerGators
1/8/2006, 07:44 PM
The Titans seem to be in a win win situation. If they have Young at pick #3 then he gets to learn from his mentor in McNair. If they have Leinart with that pick then he is reunited with Norm Chow. If I were Tennessee I would make no trades with the Saints.

TXBOOMER
1/8/2006, 07:52 PM
It will take VY a few years to get a grasp of the game. But, if I were the Texans I would trade Carr and take VY. Hometown kid, merchandise sales an absolute marketing dream. They are going to suck anyway, way not cash in.

JohnnyMack
1/8/2006, 08:00 PM
1. New Orleans could be in Los Angeles sooner than later. Imagine VY in LA, they'd love him. Kid's incredibly marketable.

2. I for one would spend the money/draft picks to take a shot on VY as I think he's one of the most intriguing draft prospects in a decade.

3. I think that Leinart has bust written all over him. Bad elbow. Bad deep ball. Doesn't move all that well.

That being said, we'll see if Tennessee makes the move to try and land VY. I'd be shocked if Leinart's stock doesn't tumble between now and April.

critical_phil
1/8/2006, 08:57 PM
Bad elbow. Bad deep ball. Doesn't move all that well.

and a chin like tommy morrison.......................

:D

JohnnyMack
1/8/2006, 08:59 PM

:D

Touch me and I'll sue!

TUSooner
1/8/2006, 09:00 PM
*** I think that Leinart has bust written all over him. Bad elbow. Bad deep ball. Doesn't move all that well....

Plus he's got a teen-ager's cxraptastical attitude. Ergo, the Saints will pick him so he can play with prima donnas Horn & Stallworth.

Dio
1/8/2006, 09:06 PM
Plus he's got a teen-ager's cxraptastical attitude. Ergo, the Saints will pick him so he can go 3-13 with prima donnas Horn & Stallworth and whatever coach is stupid enough to work for Tom Benson.

Fixed

SoonerGators
1/8/2006, 09:07 PM
I don't see how VY is the better pick over Leinart, at least for the game that is played in the NFL. Leinart has shown he can make enough of the throws you have to make in the NFL to be a competent passer. He's not very mobile, but he is at least as mobile as a guy like Big Ben and I think we can all agree he is having some success. VY is a bigger Michael Vick with an even less refined passing game. VY won't be able to run at will against NFL defenses, and he hasn't shown he can throw into real tight coverages or drop one in between the corner and the safety...not saying he can't, just that he hasn't shown that yet. He became a better passer this year because his decision making improved dramatically, but lets face it, he was throwing to wide open receivers the majority of the time. If I'm a GM I take Leinart b/c his game suits the NFL a little better, but I will grant that VY has the bigger "upside"

JohnnyMack
1/8/2006, 09:19 PM
I don't see how VY is the better pick over Leinart, at least for the game that is played in the NFL. Leinart has shown he can make enough of the throws you have to make in the NFL to be a competent passer. He's not very mobile, but he is at least as mobile as a guy like Big Ben and I think we can all agree he is having some success. VY is a bigger Michael Vick with an even less refined passing game. VY won't be able to run at will against NFL defenses, and he hasn't shown he can throw into real tight coverages or drop one in between the corner and the safety...not saying he can't, just that he hasn't shown that yet. He became a better passer this year because his decision making improved dramatically, but lets face it, he was throwing to wide open receivers the majority of the time. If I'm a GM I take Leinart b/c his game suits the NFL a little better, but I will grant that VY has the bigger "upside"

I too am basing my opinion solely on "upside". I think VY has boatloads more upside than an immobile, surgically repaired QB who's had the luxury of about 15 players that are 1st or 2nd round draft picks surrounding him the last 2 years.

BOOMERBRADLEY
1/8/2006, 09:21 PM
Here is Mack's draft strategy.

http://www.missouri.edu/~mslgx6/images/VINCEYOUNGROSE6_0104.JPG
DON'T GO! I LOVE YOU!!!

JLB
1/8/2006, 11:13 PM

DON'T GO! I LOVE YOU!!!

The words underneath that pic should read,
Who's your daddy now mack.:mack:

GDC
1/8/2006, 11:20 PM
The perpetually omniescent Mel Kiper just gave this draft sequence: Bush, Leinart, VY, that NC State DE, Hawk, and Brickashaw something.

jk the sooner fan
1/8/2006, 11:31 PM
the problem with trading Carr is that he's due an 8 million dollar bonus this off season.....so if they trade him before he's paid, the new team would have to pick that up.......not likely to happen

and if they trade him after they pay, the 8 mil counts against the Texans' cap next season

i think VY will be a titan

on another note, how dumb does Leinharts decision last year look now.....instead of going to the 49ers, a team with history and 5 superbowl trophies, a team in his home state.....he's going to lose money because of where he'll be drafted and likely end up with one of the worst franchises in the league.....NO

way to go Matt!

jreed13
1/8/2006, 11:46 PM
I hope he goes to the texans or the lions. Imagine what the lions would do with vy, the recievers they have, and kevin jones... wow...

Dio
1/9/2006, 11:42 AM
Imagine what the lions would do with vy, the recievers they have, and kevin jones... wow...

Continue to underachieve?

JohnnyMack
1/9/2006, 11:43 AM
Continue to underachieve?

Get ****ed into the ground by Millen?

JohnnyMack
1/9/2006, 11:45 AM
the problem with trading Carr is that he's due an 8 million dollar bonus this off season.....so if they trade him before he's paid, the new team would have to pick that up.......not likely to happen

and if they trade him after they pay, the 8 mil counts against the Texans' cap next season

i think VY will be a titan

on another note, how dumb does Leinharts decision last year look now.....instead of going to the 49ers, a team with history and 5 superbowl trophies, a team in his home state.....he's going to lose money because of where he'll be drafted and likely end up with one of the worst franchises in the league.....NO

way to go Matt!

I REALLY think that the Saints will be in LA starting in '07.

The Consumate Showman
1/9/2006, 11:52 AM
I hope he goes to the texans or the lions. Imagine what the lions would do with vy, the recievers they have, and kevin jones... wow...

Carlos Rogers- hurt all the time
TFRW - a$$bag cry baby
Mike Williams - year or two away from becoming a good NFL WR
Kevin Jones - injury plagued VT alum, need we say more??

Also, no OL like the one VY had at Saxet...bad situation there...

NormanPride
1/9/2006, 12:21 PM
I REALLY think that the Saints will be in LA starting in '07.

And two years later, when LA realizes they suck, where will they move? Sacramento? Las Vegas? Wouldn't THAT be ironic! The Las Vegas Saints.. Ha!

Luthor
1/9/2006, 03:48 PM
I think that if my son was a high 1st round QB I would think reeeeealy hard about sending him into either that meat grinder in Houston or the 3rd world country that is now New Orleans. At least his life expectancy would be better in Tennessee. I would almost bet that Reggie Bush's career will be shortened by 2-3 years if he signs with Houston. That erector set bolted on Leinart's knee didn't escape anyone's attention last Wednesday either.

Bottom line is I think it is a crying shame to have to send Bush, Leinart, or VY to either Houston or New Orleans. Robo Cop probably wouldn't last past mid season on either team.

critical_phil
1/9/2006, 03:52 PM

<tap, tap>

is this thing on?

JohnnyMack
1/9/2006, 03:57 PM

<tap, tap>

is this thing on?

Did you not get my Rocky V reference back there on page 1?

AwaySooner
1/9/2006, 04:20 PM
Fixed. :)

God, I wish I knew how to quit you!!!

Texas Golfer
1/9/2006, 07:47 PM
The Titans seem to be in a win win situation. If they have Young at pick #3 then he gets to learn from his mentor in McNair. If they have Leinart with that pick then he is reunited with Norm Chow. If I were Tennessee I would make no trades with the Saints.

I agree that the Titans should not make any trades unless they can get a four for one trade from someone lower in the selection process. They certainly don't need to trade up.

Texas Golfer
1/9/2006, 07:51 PM

I agreed with you on the other thing so I'll disagree with you here.

Vinny, remarkably, has shown he can throw into coverage with precise accuracy. With Vinny you get a passer equivalent to Leinart (Vinny was higher in QB rating) and a runner equivalent to Bush (about the same yards per carry). Two for the price of one, Baby.

Mjcpr
1/9/2006, 07:52 PM
Vince Young is not an equal passer to Leinart, sorry.

sanantoniosooner
1/9/2006, 07:54 PM
are we talking gas or footballs?

Texas Golfer
1/9/2006, 07:54 PM
The Las Vegas Saints.

Is this one of them thar oxymorons?

Mjcpr
1/9/2006, 07:56 PM
are we talking gas or footballs?

Footballs, foo.

Texas Golfer
1/9/2006, 07:57 PM

According to the QB Passing Efficiency Rating, he's better than Leinart. Vinny was #1 and Leinart was #6.

sanantoniosooner
1/9/2006, 07:59 PM
According to the QB Passing Efficiency Rating, he's better than Leinart. Vinny was #1 and Leinart was #6.
statistics are misleading sometimes.

Being more efficient does not equate to being a better passer in a REAL sense.

Mjcpr
1/9/2006, 08:02 PM
statistics are misleading sometimes.

Being more efficient does not equate to being a better passer in a REAL sense.

Exactily.

NickZeppelin
1/9/2006, 08:02 PM
Titans can either take Young(McNair connections) or Leinart(Chow connections) it really doesn't matter. If I were the Aint's I would take Leinart he's a sure thing at QB and a position they need.

I think Houston either takes Bush or trades for like 10 players/picks. They need a lot more then just Reggie Bush but if no one wants to make that trade then take Bush.

Hook 'Em Horns
1/9/2006, 08:08 PM
The rumor down here has Dolphins talking to the Texans in a Ricky Williams and some picks for David Carr trade.

Crazier things have happened

Mjcpr
1/9/2006, 08:08 PM
The rumor down here has Dolphins talking to the Texans in a Ricky Williams and some picks for David Carr trade.

Crazier things have happened

So that they can draft who.......Young?

Hook 'Em Horns
1/9/2006, 08:10 PM
That would be my guess. I don't put much stock in the rumors since they haven't hired a HC yet. Surely he would get some input.

GreaterState
1/9/2006, 08:12 PM
Titans can either take Young(McNair connections) or Leinart(Chow connections) it really doesn't matter. If I were the Aint's I would take Leinart he's a sure thing at QB and a position they need.

I think Houston either takes Bush or trades for like 10 players/picks. They need a lot more then just Reggie Bush but if no one wants to make that trade then take Bush.

We've heard about this Texans-trade-for-picks scenario, but my question (and I don't follow the NFL nearly as well as I do college ball) is: If someone wants to do this Ditka-for-Ricky picks deal, who's the team that Reggie Bush is the "perfect fit" for? Who trades up to No. 1 to give him the job?

NickZeppelin
1/9/2006, 08:16 PM
Bush is a perfect fit for anyone which is why Houston will draft him. The thing with the Texans is that they need a lot more then RB.

Texas Golfer
1/9/2006, 09:44 PM
I don't think you'll see any more 12 for 1 (Hershel Walker) or 8 for 1 (Ricky Williams) deals again.

NickZeppelin
1/9/2006, 09:46 PM
Probably so but that's the only way Bush doesn't end up in Houston.

GreaterState
1/9/2006, 09:53 PM
I don't think you'll see any more 12 for 1 (Hershel Walker) or 8 for 1 (Ricky Williams) deals again.

You're probably right, but what about for four lower picks or whatever the going rate is for a top pick these days? Maybe it's just me but I'd trade it. I think a team can end up worst in the NFL because they have a ton of problems to fix, or maybe because they just lacked a credible running threat. Houston seems like the former. Which team most needs a back like Bush that would trade up?

I mean, based on some of what I read, if the Texans draft Bush and don't do major surgery on the O-line, now you just have two potential stars getting tackled in the backfield.

NickZeppelin
1/9/2006, 11:39 PM
Probably so but that's the only way Bush doesn't end up in Houston.

GDC
1/10/2006, 08:54 AM
Bush is a perfect fit...

nice

Bourbon St Sooner
1/10/2006, 10:24 AM
the 3rd world country that is now New Orleans.

I resent that. We've been third world for long before Katrina came.

I think the Aints should take VY. But, they'll probably take the fat cross-eyed kid and he'll be the next Vinny Testaverde.