PDA

View Full Version : What stocks should I invest in?

Penguin
1/8/2006, 01:09 PM
I want free advice and keep in mind that I want to get rich quick!

SeattleOUstudent
1/8/2006, 01:56 PM
Man, if you really want to make some moolah, get you some Microsoft!

sanantoniosooner
1/8/2006, 02:01 PM
You ought to go with Cingular.

You seem to know a lot about it.;)

GDC
1/8/2006, 02:48 PM
Froz says buy Adobe.

85Sooner
1/8/2006, 03:13 PM
Man, if you really want to make some moolah, get you some Microsoft!

Maybe back in 1997, but not now.

My broker did quite well this year considering it was an overall down year.

Matter of fact hes done very well the last three years.

Try wealth Advisors of Oklahoma (located in Tulsa) Great guys.

49r
1/8/2006, 07:36 PM
Froz says buy Adobe.

I think he wants to make profits, not build mud houses.

:norm:

critical_phil
1/8/2006, 09:06 PM
dow dogs.

the end.

soonerbrat
1/8/2006, 09:10 PM
i used to work for a company whose stock went up over $20/share in the past 8 months.

Ike
1/8/2006, 09:19 PM
you can't go wrong with SCO. (ticker SCOX)

Al Gore
1/8/2006, 09:43 PM
i used to work for a company whose stock went up over $20/share in the past 8 months.It went up after you left????

soonerbrat
1/8/2006, 09:45 PM
It went up after you left????

it started going up right before i left. if i had stayed one more month, my stock grant would've vested, too.

i just couldn't stand it ANYMORE

dolemitesooner
1/8/2006, 09:46 PM
It went up after you left????
Your wife is way to skinning feed that beoncye some cheetos

Al Gore
1/8/2006, 09:53 PM
it started going up right before i left. if i had stayed one more month, my stock grant would've vested, too.

i just couldn't stand it ANYMOREWas that after 3 years???

Al Gore
1/8/2006, 09:55 PM
Your wife is way to skinning feed that beoncye some cheetosmmmmm...cheetos....

soonerbrat
1/8/2006, 09:56 PM
Was that after 3 years???

yep. almost 4.

my job evolved into something i just didn't sign up to do.

soonerscuba
1/8/2006, 10:03 PM

go on...:texan:

soonerbrat
1/8/2006, 10:18 PM
i started out doing quality control, then i moved to the animal facility and started doing animal research along with some lab work, and by the time i quit, my sole job was animal care which was mostly cleaning up mouse poop cages. isn't that sexy?

Jimminy Crimson
1/8/2006, 11:07 PM
yep. almost 4.

So what you're saying is:

Dear Penthouse,
I never thought this would happen to me, but...

;)

Penguin
1/8/2006, 11:21 PM
OK, let's get back on track on making me filthy rich.

soonerbrat
1/8/2006, 11:27 PM
yes Jiminy....THAT'S EXACTLY RIGHT!!!!!!

:D

Sooner24
1/8/2006, 11:59 PM
This is a stock that I have owned since the IPO and it has done pretty good.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=PRU&t=1y&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

I am no stock expert by any stretch but it looks like it is about ready for another breakout.

Jimminy Crimson
1/9/2006, 12:42 AM
Most of my stock money goes into Chesapeake. :texan:

DCSooner
1/9/2006, 01:12 PM
DO NOT take stock advice from Howzit, you can thank me now.

C&CDean
1/9/2006, 01:16 PM
You know those big-time investment companies are just smacking their lips thinking about skimming all you ****in' hillbillies dough.

Mason jars. Not the stock, the jars. Fill em' up and stash em'.

critical_phil
1/9/2006, 01:23 PM
You know those big-time investment companies are just smacking their lips thinking about skimming all you ****in' hillbillies dough.

Mason jars. Not the stock, the jars. Fill em' up and stash em'.

-3% rate of return x 30 years doesn't sound like much fun to me.....

but that's just me. i'm running my own get rich slow scheme.....

1stTimeCaller
1/9/2006, 01:26 PM
my buddy Homer gets about 34% each year on his own through his stocks and bonds. I think he also bought a bunch of Chesapeake a few years ago at less than $1/share.

Me, I'm doing the budweiser thingy with cans and recycling them.

critical_phil
1/9/2006, 01:27 PM
covered calls, bitches.......................

Dio
1/9/2006, 01:28 PM
I hear Enron's poised to make a huge comeback. ;)

DCSooner
1/9/2006, 01:32 PM
you can't go wrong with SCO. (ticker SCOX)

http://chart.finance.yahoo.com/c/5y/s/scox

Looks like a rolley coaster!

JohnnyMack
1/9/2006, 01:35 PM
I'd hedge with gold. A lot of gold. ****piles of gold.

You're welcome.

http://www.kitco.com/

China said on Thursday it planned to explore new ways of using the country's foreign exchange reserves and broadening their investment scope. It has 600 tonnes of gold in its reserves, accounting for only 1.2 percent of the total.

Penguin
1/9/2006, 01:36 PM
covered calls, bitches.......................

Options are too damn complicated.

C&CDean
1/9/2006, 01:41 PM
-3% rate of return x 30 years doesn't sound like much fun to me.....

but that's just me. i'm running my own get rich slow scheme.....

Uh, wrong.

When y'all are crying the blues cause your stocks went belly up, or you're whining because your invester skipped town, or even if you're actually making a couple %, I'll have my hands on ready cash. Cash I can touch. And most importantly, cash the IRS cannot touch.

The 30+ % you're gonna be paying to your uncle on all your 4% earnings still adds up to -26% any way you slice it.

1stTimeCaller
1/9/2006, 01:45 PM
Uh, wrong.

When y'all are crying the blues cause your stocks went belly up, or you're whining because your invester skipped town, or even if you're actually making a couple %, I'll have my hands on ready cash. Cash I can touch. And most importantly, cash the IRS cannot touch.

The 30+ % you're gonna be paying to your uncle on all your 4% earnings still adds up to -26% any way you slice it.

Uh Deano, the IRS already touched your cash. If you earn $100 the IRS gets their cut of your profit. If the stocks go belly up you get to deduct that from your taxes somehow. If a burgular makes off with your mason jars you're SOL.

OhU1
1/9/2006, 01:51 PM
I bought a hospital stock (Tennent Health Care - THC) at $38.50 in 2002. Literally 2 hours later a report comes on CNBC that the FBI had raided the office of a doctor searching for evidence of Medicaid fraud. They froze trading on the floor of the NYSE on the stock. When they re-opened trading right before the market closed it re-opended at $25.00. Then it went down another $7 in after hour trading.

Had I shorted the stock I would have been very happy. As it turned out I might as well have got a lighter out and burned a pile of money in the fireplace.

critical_phil
1/9/2006, 02:21 PM
Uh, wrong.

1. no, you're wrong.

2. if the stocks i'm invested in go belly up it means jesus came back, the chinese attacked, or hillary is elected for consecutive terms. in any case, my pile of account statements will be the same value as your cash because they're both made of paper. you may argue that i should take the mason jars into account.....

3. you can be afraid of tax law or you can utilize it to your advantage.

4. if i'm in a 30+% tax bracket when i retire, i guess that means i'm making an assload on these stupid investments. (or, see #2 hillary gets elected for consecutive terms) (or, see #3 to find out that i'll prevent that from happening).

5. 4% sounds like a return for a modest quarter.

6. Dean hates Einstein.

JohnnyMack
1/9/2006, 02:30 PM
No seriously, gold.

Ike
1/9/2006, 02:32 PM
http://chart.finance.yahoo.com/c/5y/s/scox

Looks like a rolley coaster!

thats what you get when your entire business model is based on patent/copyright litigation.

C&CDean
1/9/2006, 03:07 PM
1. no, you're wrong.

2. if the stocks i'm invested in go belly up it means jesus came back, the chinese attacked, or hillary is elected for consecutive terms. in any case, my pile of account statements will be the same value as your cash because they're both made of paper. you may argue that i should take the mason jars into account.....

3. you can be afraid of tax law or you can utilize it to your advantage.

4. if i'm in a 30+% tax bracket when i retire, i guess that means i'm making an assload on these stupid investments. (or, see #2 hillary gets elected for consecutive terms) (or, see #3 to find out that i'll prevent that from happening).

5. 4% sounds like a return for a modest quarter.

6. Dean hates Einstein.

1. I didn't already pay taxes on the money in the jars. Jeez, do y'all want me to go to jail or what?

2. Your #2 sounds mighty shaky to this ol' hillbilly. There's a whole lot of "if" in there.

3. I ain't afraid of fags, doctors, lawyers, or tax laws. However, I do avoid them all to the best of my ability.

4. I've been in the 30+% for many years now.

5. On the little bit I do invest through a thrift program I've averaged over 6% over the past 20 years.

6. Who the **** is Einstein?

JohnnyMack
1/9/2006, 03:15 PM
6. Who the **** is Einstein?

2nd baseman for the BoSox. Try and keep up 'neck.

C&CDean
1/9/2006, 03:17 PM
2nd baseman for the BoSox. Try and keep up 'neck.

OK. Now I'm really cornfused. WTF does baseball have to do with that **** those actresses inject in their face? And what does any of it have to do with investing $$? Dude, you're pretty much a whack job I'm thinking. I know, gold........

critical_phil
1/9/2006, 03:25 PM
my bad, i should have clarified. i meant a different Einstein. he was an obscure german physicist and mathematician way back when....

"Compounding interest is the greatest mathematical discovery of all time".
- Albert Einstein

C&CDean
1/9/2006, 03:27 PM
Well since we're not talking rocket science or nuclear fusion, I really don't want that Einstein's opinion. Thank you very much.

JohnnyMack
1/9/2006, 03:27 PM
OK. Now I'm really cornfused. WTF does baseball have to do with that **** those actresses inject in their face? And what does any of it have to do with investing $$? Dude, you're pretty much a whack job I'm thinking. I know, gold........

See, I'd think you'd appreciate gold. In your backwoods, don't trust the man, need somethin' tangible what the hilly-hoo is an ipod and why would I wanna invest in that anyways sort of way. It is up 30% over the last year and the Chinese are getting tired of having their cash reserves tied to an ever weakening dollar. Once they start buying up the physical mines and refineries gold will pop. If you don't make 20% on gold this year I'll take your gay bull to the jr. prom.

C&CDean
1/9/2006, 03:31 PM
See, I'd think you'd appreciate gold. In your backwoods, don't trust the man, need somethin' tangible what the hilly-hoo is an ipod and why would I wanna invest in that anyways sort of way. It is up 30% over the last year and the Chinese are getting tired of having their cash reserves tied to an ever weakening dollar. Once they start buying up the physical mines and refineries gold will pop. If you don't make 20% on gold this year I'll take your gay bull to the jr. prom.

Can you go down to the feed store or WalMart and buy **** with a gold nugget?

**** the Chinese.

And my gay bull already has a date for the prom.

critical_phil
1/9/2006, 03:34 PM
Well since we're not talking rocket science or nuclear fusion, I really don't want that Einstein's opinion. Thank you very much.

well, i just took my 6 point rebuttal outside and showed the fence post.

good news for you dean, as it appears the fence post agrees with you. i'm now out-numbered 2 to 1.

take notice dean (and fence post) - i'm gonna be rich like Bruce one day.

JohnnyMack
1/9/2006, 03:35 PM

**** the Chinese.

And my gay bull already has a date for the prom.

No.

Why do you hate wonton soup?

Sorry 1tc, I didn't mean to step on toes.

C&CDean
1/9/2006, 03:37 PM
well, i just took my 6 point rebuttal outside and showed the fence post.

good news for you dean, as it appears the fence post agrees with you. i'm now out-numbered 2 to 1.

take notice dean (and fence post) - i'm gonna be rich like Bruce one day.

And I can already buy or sell 20 Bruces. With cash.

Rock on Wall St. boy.

JohnnyMack
1/9/2006, 03:38 PM

**** the Chinese.

Keep shopping at Wal-Mart (where do you think they get all that ****?). That'll help prove my point.

C&CDean
1/9/2006, 03:38 PM
No.

Why do you hate wonton soup?

Sorry 1tc, I didn't mean to step on toes.

1. I rest my case.

2. I love Chinese food - I just don't give a **** what their government says/does.

3. Even my fag bull has standards. He ain't dating anybody who ****es on the rug.

1stTimeCaller
1/9/2006, 03:40 PM
:(

GDC
1/9/2006, 03:47 PM
I think real estate is the way to go.

critical_phil
1/9/2006, 03:48 PM
I think real estate is the way to go.

as long as that opinion has no mathematical basis, i'll bet you can get someone to agree with it.

in other financial news: i may or may not put some pants on today.....

Beef
1/9/2006, 03:56 PM
I would invest everything you have into building a church and saving people and stuff.

C&CDean
1/9/2006, 03:58 PM
I think C_P oughta go back to painting injuns on donkeys. He's a lot better at that than finance.

JohnnyMack
1/9/2006, 04:12 PM
I think C_P oughta go back to painting injuns on donkeys. He's a lot better at that than finance.

I think you should keep shopping at Wal-Mart so you can keep your precious dollar soft and let me cash in your lack of vision.

mdklatt
1/9/2006, 04:32 PM
I think you should keep shopping at Wal-Mart so you can keep your precious dollar soft and let me cash in your lack of vision.

Remember when Wal-Mart's Big Thing was that they only bought American-made products?

GDC
1/9/2006, 04:32 PM
as long as that opinion has no mathematical basis, i'll bet you can get someone to agree with it.

I'm with Dean as far as having something tangible, whether it's cash, land, gold, whatever.

salth2o
1/9/2006, 04:33 PM
You should watch Jim Cramer's Mad Money on CNBC.

critical_phil
1/9/2006, 04:40 PM
I'm with Dean as far as having something tangible, whether it's cash, land, gold, whatever.

are you with dean as far as:

not being able to differentiate current vs. retirement tax brackets?

not understanding the magic of compounding?

viewing investment in the most stable companies in the world as speculative?

thinking that an average joe can't manage his own money?

GDC
1/9/2006, 04:47 PM
I've just always put my money into land, rental properties, farms and ranches. If you crunched the numbers maybe I would have been better off fiscally through stocks and bonds, but I like having something physical to do, like taking care of my properties.

OU4LIFE
1/9/2006, 04:50 PM
And I can already buy or sell 20 Bruces. With cash.

Rock on Wall St. boy.

he's gonna kick your *** for that.

or mine.....

wait.

Ike
1/9/2006, 04:56 PM
for all y'all that are interested in something physical, I plan on selling top quarks to anyone interested in buying them. now you too can own the most important piece of the standard model of particle physics ever discovered!

Disclaimer: Seller not responsible for loss of top quark due to weak decay