PDA

View Full Version : Mack Brown Relaxed Approach

SCOUT
1/8/2006, 01:13 AM
I just rewatched the Holiday Bowl and the half time interview with Vince Young. Vince said that Mack is not like he used to be because he is much more relaxed than before.

It is hard to argue with the results of his relaxed demeanor as they were able to win it all. However, how much of that was due to Vince himself. What I mean is that Vince has reacted very positively to the hands off approach but is it something that will work for the remainder of the team? Will the other players be able to dedicate themselves without pressure from the coaching staff?

I just wonder if texas will have an even bigger drop off than expected if Vince leaves. At least I hope they do...

OUGreg723
1/8/2006, 01:15 AM
we can only hope....time will tell I guess.

sanantoniosooner
1/8/2006, 01:16 AM
I think he was specifically referring to trying to change Vince's technique.

He's just letting Vince be Vince. Has nothing to do with how he handles the rest of the team.

OUGreg723
1/8/2006, 01:18 AM
It's all about Vince anyway when your dealing with Vince...:rolleyes:

SCOUT
1/8/2006, 01:21 AM
I think he was specifically referring to trying to change Vince's technique.

He's just letting Vince be Vince. Has nothing to do with how he handles the rest of the team.

I would agree except that Vince mentioned that Mack was dancing at practice and really lightened up overall (paraphrasing of course).

I know that Mack has said that Vince has flourished since he was let loose, but it sounded like the relaxation was more pervasive than just the QB position.

sanantoniosooner
1/8/2006, 01:22 AM
It's all about Vince anyway when your dealing with Vince...:rolleyes:
well, they tried to change his technique and it hurt his performance.

All they did was realize they should leave well enough alone.

Best coaching move Mack ever did was nothing.

OUGreg723
1/8/2006, 01:25 AM
well, they tried to change his technique and it hurt his performance.

All they did was realize they should leave well enough alone.

Best coaching move Mack ever did was nothing.

Haha, your right my friend.:)

The Consumate Showman
1/8/2006, 01:26 AM
I just wonder if texas will have an even bigger drop off than expected if Vince leaves. At least I hope they do...

Look at what happened to OU after JW finally graduated.....sure Saxet may be "deep" at their skill positions, but replacing leadership is not something you can just throw out on the field and expect it to work....

That is what is making me want to puke about USC and all of the media surrounding them. Sure, they may have all the damn 5 star recruits and "hype" players at their school, but actually getting out on a college football feild with upperclassmen from another school that want to tear your head off "just cause" is something a True Fr., RSFr, or first TIME starter may struggle with.

All we hear from ESPN is how SUC's 2 and 3 deep guys are just gonna step up this coming year and get Pete Carrol right back in the thick of things with the BCS. I hate to tell them, but ASU, UCLA, and the Quackers look to be tough this year...I am really anxious to see how all of these God-Like USC back-ups are going to come out and whip everyone's a$$es like the media is telling us they will....

Someone find me a dull spoon so I can slowly dig out my heart!!:mack: :mack: :eddie: :eddie: :texan: :texan: :mad: :eek: :eek: :eek: :les: :les: SUCCS SUCCS

The Consumate Showman
1/8/2006, 01:29 AM
Best coaching Mack has ever done is nothing.

Fixed ;)

Texas Golfer
1/8/2006, 02:32 AM
I rewatched the game tonight on ESPN Classic. Vinny never got excited or emotional during that game, not even when he scored those final two TDs. He was like a robot.

Someone should check that dude for drugs.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/8/2006, 02:33 AM
Sure glad our boviforous friends stopped the condom thrust.

AustinTXHorn
1/8/2006, 03:30 AM
I rewatched the game tonight on ESPN Classic. Vinny never got excited or emotional during that game, not even when he scored those final two TDs. He was like a robot.

Someone should check that dude for drugs.
I noticed that. After he scored the game winning TD, he just calmly turned around and handed the ball to the ref.

Considering how pumped up he got after Rose Bowl TDs last year, I thought that was weird. He must have been extremely focused.

AustinTXHorn
1/8/2006, 03:34 AM
I actually think the opposite of this post. I think that it helps. I actually think that Mack Brown might have learned more from Vince Young than Vince has learned from Mack. It sounds weird, but it almost seems as if he's made him a better coach. Taught him how to get players relaxed and to get to know where the players are coming from a little better.

I'm not worried about the players lacking in dedication once Vince leaves. When you have a staff with hardasses like Gene Chizik on it, that's the last thing I'm worrying about.

The only worry with Vince leaving is the leadership. He's led Texas on some amazing comebacks over the past two years and it doesn't matter who takes over at QB next year (or the year after), they're most likely not going to have half of the leadership ability that Vince Young had.

yermom
1/8/2006, 04:06 AM
i'm very afraid of what Vince taught Mack

i completely agree on the last part too, it's going to take a while to replace what VY brought to your team this year

OUinFLA
1/8/2006, 08:37 AM
ATH: I think your first statement may be right on.
Your last statement will be next year's problem. VY's leadership begin with his physical ability, and then grew by stepping out on the field and proving it. Not just from day one, but over many games. Full leadership abilities don't come to brand new people in charge, but from established players who have been the motivators for a while.
IMO in football, the qb is the only effective offensive leader. Who ever heard of a tight end being the team leader?
Defenses have to have a leader as well, and I dont believe it is position specific like the offense is.
Congrats again on your team's great performance in the Rose.

jacru
1/8/2006, 09:55 AM
...but it almost seems as if he's(VY) made him(:mack: ) a better coach.
a coach once said, When my players are better, I look like a better coach.:D

FaninAma
1/8/2006, 10:39 AM
We'll see how relaxed Mack is when he actually has to make some coaching decision again and he can't rely on Vince Young to run the offense. Mack will never,ever have an offensive player like Vince who can take over a game and make UT's crappy offense look good.

sanantoniosooner
1/8/2006, 10:58 AM
We'll see how relaxed Mack is when he actually has to make some coaching decision again and he can't rely on Vince Young to run the offense. Mack will never,ever have an offensive player like Vince who can take over a game and make UT's crappy offense look good.
yeah, I though USC would have a problem filling Carson Palmer's shoes.

Soonerman08
1/8/2006, 11:57 AM
yeah, I though USC would have a problem filling Carson Palmer's shoes.

Yeah but they had Norm Chow to help out with breaking in Leinart. They don't have Norm anymore, and Texas sure as heck doesn't have a quarterback's coach like Norm Chow.

sanantoniosooner
1/8/2006, 12:06 PM
Yeah but they had Norm Chow to help out with breaking in Leinart. They don't have Norm anymore, and Texas sure as heck doesn't have a quarterback's coach like Norm Chow.
well.............I guess it's a lock then........;)