PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone experts?

Penguin
1/7/2006, 08:59 PM
I recently went to Cingular wireless to setup services. Well, due to my nearly non-existant credit history, they wanted to charge me an ungodly deposit. So, I told them, "No dice, homeslice!" So, they wanted to sign me up on the pay-as-you-go plan, but they wanted to charge me an ungodly amount for a phone. I politely slapped the salesman in the face.

So, I went home and found a great phone on ebay and bought it. The phone is "locked" to Cingular (whatever that means, but I figure it's no big deal cuz I want Cingular anyways). Well, he shipped me the phone and there's no "SIM" card. I've never done this before, so I gotta ask: Will Cingular give me a new "SIM" card when I get their plan, or will they freak out that I didn't buy a phone from them? And, is it possible that the phone is hot and they will call the police as soon as they scan it? Also, I've read some things on the internet that you can "flash" the phone. What does this mean? I'm guessing it has nothing to do with what I do at elementary school playgrounds?

BTW, the phone I bought was a black Motorola Razr V3.

I don't want this thread to tell me that Cingular sucks or that I suck for not applying for a credit card or a loan for the past 5 years. My family all has Cingular and I want the free in-network minutes. And, I have never needed or wanted a credit card or loan for the past 5 years.

GottaHavePride
1/7/2006, 09:15 PM
Laughing at you for not having a credit card is Froze's job.

They should be ok with you getting the phone from another source. PG has one she got off eBay when her first phone got stolen and the replacement turned out to be a turd. I don't know about getting another SIMM card. I would assume "flashing" the phone either means recovering or wiping any information left in the phone's memory - the phones all have built-in memory separate from the SIMM card.

Oh, and FYI, my parents just got a Consumer Reports that rates Cingular the lowest out of the big four. Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint were 1-2-3. ;)

soonerboomer93
1/7/2006, 09:26 PM
it depends on where you live, but Cingular should send you a new sim card.

In all honesty, I have better phone service with Cingular then I had with either sprint or t-mobile. I used to get random drops with both of them, have never had that with Cingular.

yermom
1/7/2006, 09:58 PM
the phone is what the contract and deposit for

i'm thinking that should help you not hinder you if you already have a phone from them

sanantoniosooner
1/7/2006, 10:18 PM
take a free phone with the plan and use the sim card

How hard is that?

Penguin
1/7/2006, 10:27 PM
take a free phone with the plan and use the sim card

How hard is that?

Any old sim card can work in my phone? I am a complete novice when it comes to cell phones.

sanantoniosooner
1/7/2006, 10:30 PM
Any old sim card can work in my phone? I am a complete novice when it comes to cell phones.
a cingular sim card will work in ANY singular compatable phone.

I've switched my sim cards between several phones and it's easy as pie.

Plus having the free phone in a drawer makes for a decent backup if you happen to wash or otherwise destroy the nice phone.

I've had a sim card survive the washing machine even though the phone didn't.

yermom
1/7/2006, 10:42 PM
the "free" phone would involve the contract and deposits

they are kinda stingy if you don't have good credit

flashing would involve trying to get a Cingular phone unlocked to work with a T-Mobile card or something

i've seen people call the company and have them unlocked by telling them they were going to Europe or something

sanantoniosooner
1/7/2006, 10:43 PM
you can crack phones, but I've heard they sometime revert for some reason.

GottaHavePride
1/7/2006, 10:45 PM
Oh, so like if you wanted the Razr to work with Sprint, or something.

Penguin
1/7/2006, 11:08 PM
a cingular sim card will work in ANY singular compatable phone.

I've switched my sim cards between several phones and it's easy as pie.

Plus having the free phone in a drawer makes for a decent backup if you happen to wash or otherwise destroy the nice phone.

I've had a sim card survive the washing machine even though the phone didn't.

Does this sim card determine what your phone number is? In other words, can you keep your old number by simply putting in your old sim card in the new phone?

sanantoniosooner
1/7/2006, 11:11 PM
yes the sim card is tied to the number.

I have 4 sim cards. The number migrates with each card.

Penguin
1/7/2006, 11:35 PM
Great! Can I download pr0n on my new phone? And can I get the "Debbie Does Dallas" theme song as my ringtone?

sanantoniosooner
1/7/2006, 11:37 PM
I have the music to the tv version of the Incredible Hulk.

He was misunderstood.

I can relate.