PDA

View Full Version : Murray runs a 4.5?

emoinwinter
1/7/2006, 07:34 PM
Rivals has Murray listed as running a 4.49 in the 40. Scout has him listed as 4.54. Are these legit 40 times? For some reason, I throught he runs faster than that. I know this isn't slow, but it isn't fast either. I have always wondered about this, just figured I wouldn't ask until we were sure he was ours. Can anybody shed some light on this? Do we value 40 times too much? I thought I remember seeing a quote from him saying that at one event he ran a 4.31 (which seems too extreme on the fast end.)

MojoRisen
1/7/2006, 07:37 PM
Rivals has Murray listed as running a 4.49 in the 40. Scout has him listed as 4.54. Are these legit 40 times? For some reason, I throught he runs faster than that. I know this isn't slow, but it isn't fast either. I have always wondered about this, just figured I wouldn't ask until we were sure he was ours. Can anybody shed some light on this? Do we value 40 times too much? I thought I remember seeing a quote from him saying that at one event he ran a 4.31 (which seems too extreme on the fast end.)

If he is a Warrick Dunn type or Peter Warick- 4.5 is plenty fast if you have vision and quickness- No body would catch him in the open with a 4.5. Madhu and Brown are faster though...

OUGreg723
1/7/2006, 07:54 PM
I believe those times are from a combine in San Antonio one year ago.He most likely improved those time in a year, and he will get even more fast....Just wait till he meets Coach Schmittttyyy!!

BASSooner
1/7/2006, 07:54 PM
he could be faster. romance taylor from texas out of high school they say he ran a 4.4 and now he runs a 4.32 which makes no sense really

IronSooner
1/7/2006, 09:51 PM
I'm never sure how much stock to put in 40 times. I do find it funny how few actually do run legit 4.4 40's when at NFL combines. I brought this up with my dad (who follows recruiting pretty closely) and he seemed to think the 4.5 was a real 4.5 and hence, pretty fast.

OUGreg723
1/7/2006, 09:56 PM
I agrreee with you Iron. 100%.

The Consumate Showman
1/7/2006, 10:01 PM
The kid has got some sweet moves, too...

Eielson
1/8/2006, 02:06 PM
Barry Sanders ran something like a 4.5.

Big Red Ron
1/8/2006, 02:10 PM
Emmit Smith ran like a 4.65 most of his career.

GDC
1/8/2006, 02:50 PM
Like jkm says, at least for some postions 40 times are virtually meaningless anyway. Footwork, lateral movement, and short bursts are more important.

MojoRisen
1/8/2006, 03:03 PM
Barry Sanders ran something like a 4.5.

Emitt Smith- 4.6 4.7

Barry Sanders was a 4.3 in un-laced high tops! 4.5 with jukes is plenty fast! He would not be caught from behind.

emoinwinter
1/8/2006, 03:50 PM
Thanks guys. Really appreciate it.

snp
1/8/2006, 08:36 PM
I love this article. It makes you a total skeptic about 40 times. http://www.usoc.org/11611_32384.htm

Barry Sanders was a 4.3 in un-laced high tops!

Don't say that, because now someone else is going to believe that lie and tell someone else. What would anyone be doing running in un-laced high tops?

MojoRisen
1/8/2006, 08:59 PM
I love this article. It makes you a total skeptic about 40 times. http://www.usoc.org/11611_32384.htm

Don't say that, because now someone else is going to believe that lie and tell someone else. What would anyone be doing running in un-laced high tops?

Everyone's ready for the workout to start and Barry is nowhere to be found. Word was he was out of town picking up some hardware (trophies) but was on his way. So he flew into Tulsa and came right from the airport to the workout. He got out of the car, got into some sweats, limbered up a little bit and ran a 4.37 in the 40-yard dash! I remember standing next to Wayne Fontes, who was the Lions head coach at the time. The Lions picked third and we (the Cowboys) were picking first, and it was pretty obvious we were taking Troy Aikman. So Fontes whispers to me, "Hey, I don't care if he works out or not, we're taking him No. 3." I joked with him and told him not to be so sure he'd be there, but he didn't fall for it.

Desert Sapper
1/9/2006, 11:14 AM

The article has a clear bias, but the reality is certainly there. It is the main reason NFL prospects usually turn to crap after they get to a team. The team based everything on the importance of a 40-yard dash, which is nothing more than a comparitive statistic. It is only important based on other players at a particular position. The shuttle and position drills are much better for judging future performance (that and game film). Any scout that bases everything on a 40 is an idiot. Handtimed 40s are ridiculously inaccurate. Even the laser timer is not 100%. Either way, the bottom line is:

If the NFL wanted to know speed, they'd run the 100.

If the NFL wanted to know power and explosion, they'd run a 20 (which some places do for linemen).

But football is not about running track.

jreed13
1/9/2006, 11:23 AM
Look to see if he ran it at a nike combine or not. Also if possible look to see if he ran it on a track, turf, or grass. The surface makes a BIG difference. Mike Ford (6'2" 225 RB, AL) ran a 4.41 40 at the last combine and I got real excited. Come to find out he ran it on a track and that translates to about a 4.5 on the field.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/10/2006, 10:29 AM
40-times are like vertical jumps, they are measured different ways and so often exaggerated that I take any number I hear with a grain of salt. On top of that even if you are consistant with how you measure the times it may not translate directly to the field, in pads. Certainly if someone supposedly runs a 4.4 you can bet they are fast.

From what little I saw of Murray's highlights during the AA game he looked plenty fast to me. For a RB the ability to make the first guy miss or run through a tackle is more important than whether he runs 4.5 or 4.6 in the open field.

NickZeppelin
1/10/2006, 11:02 AM
First of all very few people run a 4.3. That's just rare speed. I know for a fact Joe Washington never ran better then a 4.6 40. Yet I think he was okay.

oumartin
1/13/2006, 10:04 PM
where do you get your "facts" NIck?

NickZeppelin
1/13/2006, 10:07 PM
From some guy named Switzer.

MojoRisen
1/13/2006, 10:09 PM
where do you get your "facts" NIck?

Yea- Nick tell me more about little Joe Washington was he a great man? Peace

Reggie Brooks correction ran a 4.3 unlaced hightops clocked by my brother as a GA recruiter for OK State- under PAT.. I think Barry was hanging around then as well. too bad Reggie went to Notre Dame and vanished.