PDA

View Full Version : okay, whos helping me move?

oumartin
1/7/2006, 06:42 PM
its only like a mile away but I am so frustrated. I like to be organized and we are not. My kids are messy and my wife just throws things around and with only a week to go I fear the new house will look like the one we live in now.
Crap everywhere.
and I do mean crap.

BajaOklahoma
1/7/2006, 06:49 PM
We've lived in three states.
The hardest moves were the ones where we moved just across town or moved down the street.
Good luck.

oumartin
1/7/2006, 06:50 PM
oh gee thanks Baja :D

BajaOklahoma
1/7/2006, 07:06 PM
Hey, I COULD tell you how I did it - numbered boxes with a list of what's inside, color-coded to indicate if it is for storage or to be opened. We used a storage unit to store all of the stuff destined for the attics and garage, just to make moving day easier.
And I could tell you how to do it most efficiently - such as last used is first unpacked. And those those other good hints like send the kids to grandma's house (a better idea than you will ever know).

But I don't want to bore you. ;)

sanantoniosooner
1/7/2006, 07:07 PM
yes this is my truck

no I wont help you move

King Crimson
1/7/2006, 07:10 PM
they have some good herbal teas for that.

oumartin
1/7/2006, 07:11 PM
well i am thinking the kids to the grandmas house is a keen idea. and she lives here in town so thats better.
I would love to start packing things into boxes but i'd have to hear
I was gonna give that to the goodwill or some sheet like that only to see the darn things stacked in the corner and never taken there. I can look to my left right now and see over 5 boxes of goodwill clothing and such just sitting there. and it has been for over 6 months.
sorry. but I am in a foul mood thinking about this

BajaOklahoma
1/7/2006, 07:27 PM
I'll bet you can arrange for grandma to bring over some fast food.....
We offered our helpers beer.... and those cheap guys fell for it. :)
How long do you have to get moved?

Scott D
1/7/2006, 07:32 PM
We've lived in three states.
The hardest moves were the ones where we moved just across town or moved down the street.
Good luck.

call me when you move from Maryland to Hawaii, spend 2 weeks without your stuff before you travel, then wait another 2 weeks before your stuff arrives after you get there. :)

olevetonahill
1/7/2006, 07:32 PM
Hire 2 helpers ! leave town on a buisness trip :cool:
Worked for me :)

Okieflyer
1/7/2006, 07:33 PM
Newbomb Turk will Help. ;)

oumartin
1/7/2006, 07:38 PM
oh, well i have till middle of february to get settled.
I just wanna get moved to this bigger house so I can start being a royal turd and grade A arse-hole for anyone that eats somewhere other than the kitchen table and for anyone that doesn't remove their shoes when they enter my house. Only person allowed in shoes in this new house will be my wife.
I was really looking forward to moving until I saw that nobody wants to get off their butts and get started boxing.

Okieflyer
1/7/2006, 07:41 PM
I just wanna get moved to this bigger house so I can start being a royal turd and grade A arse-hole for anyone that eats somewhere other than the kitchen table and for anyone that doesn't remove their shoes when they enter my house.

Count me out then!;)

BajaOklahoma
1/7/2006, 07:45 PM
call me when you move from Maryland to Hawaii, spend 2 weeks without your stuff before you travel, then wait another 2 weeks before your stuff arrives after you get there. :)

The difference is that you actually box stuff up and plan better than you do for a "quick" move.
But a month without you stuff would be more inconvenient. Service?

Scott D
1/7/2006, 07:48 PM
The difference is that you actually box stuff up and plan better than you do for a "quick" move.
But a month without you stuff would be more inconvenient. Service?

yeah that was back in '86.

Soonrboy
1/7/2006, 07:49 PM
I started trashing sheet, when she asked me if took it to goodwill, yes was always the answer. Good luck, I hate moving just for the reasons you spoke of.

jk the sooner fan
1/7/2006, 07:50 PM
when we bought this house in july, it was 2 miles from the house we were renting.....i rented a truck and moved the heavy stuff i could handle.....no boxes, just furniture.......then the really heavy stuff i left for a crew that i hired....then we moved boxes once all the furniture was all in.....made things much easier imo

and no, i will not help

OUthunder
1/7/2006, 08:23 PM
What do I get out of the deal?

oumartin
1/7/2006, 08:56 PM
nothing you haven't already had Thunder. Just depends on if you want 4th and 5ths of it.

Okla-homey
1/7/2006, 09:23 PM
Just torch the old place with all your old crap. Blame it on a grass fire, Insurance company will buy you new crap...at least in theory.

You're welcome.

nmsoonergirl
1/7/2006, 09:40 PM
Just went through this myself. Throw/give away as much crap as you possibly can. We were insane about this, and probably got rid of 30 percent of our stuff before the move. Packing and unpacking sheet just ain't worth it!

oumartin
1/7/2006, 10:01 PM
I like you guys thinking. Unfortunately I am married to maybe the worlds 2nd worst packrat.. right behind her mother...

The fire idea is keen though

jk the sooner fan
1/7/2006, 10:21 PM
i learned moving 10 times in 21 years, that "you never know how much crap you have till you have to box it up and move it"

BajaOklahoma
1/7/2006, 10:26 PM
Just torch the old place with all your old crap. Blame it on a grass fire, Insurance company will buy you new crap...at least in theory.

You're welcome.

Forgot to mention the potato chips, didn't you?

OUthunder
1/7/2006, 10:41 PM
nothing you haven't already had Thunder. Just depends on if you want 4th and 5ths of it.

As long as the engine has been overhauled, it makes no diference to me. ;)

oumartin
1/7/2006, 10:48 PM
just use the dipstick to check the oil there thunder before you put many miles on it.