PDA

View Full Version : What does Planet of the Apes have in common with MLK?

yermom
1/7/2006, 06:00 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10736265/

ask Wal*Mart :D

Jimminy Crimson
1/7/2006, 06:08 PM
Was Chocolate Foam another option? ;)

OklahomaTrombone
1/7/2006, 06:19 PM
Was Chocolate *** Foam another option? ;)

GottaHavePride
1/7/2006, 09:00 PM
The thing I asked myself while reading that story was "why is this news-worthy?"

Okla-homey
1/7/2006, 09:29 PM
Would anyone freak if a search for "Italian" subject matter netted "The Godfather" or "The Sopranos?" I think not. How about "German" netting "Schindler's List?" People need to skin-up. Seriously.

Sooner_Bob
1/7/2006, 09:35 PM
Why do you hate the Waltons? :D

yermom
1/7/2006, 09:52 PM
Would anyone freak if a search for "Italian" subject matter netted "The Godfather" or "The Sopranos?" I think not. How about "German" netting "Schindler's List?" People need to skin-up. Seriously.

yeah, that is a bit different than "ape" leading to "black"

Okla-homey
1/7/2006, 11:35 PM
yeah, that is a bit different than "ape" leading to "black"

Apes have a better rep than Nazi's, at least to me, but I'll concede your point.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/8/2006, 02:48 AM
The thing I asked myself while reading that story was "why is this news-worthy?"Another shot by the left to 'Get Wal-Mart".They are in the cross hairs, 'cause they're TOO CAPITALISTIC.

King Crimson
1/8/2006, 03:04 AM
Another shot by the left to 'Get Wal-Mart".They are in the cross hairs, 'cause they're TOO CAPITALISTIC.

Wal Mart is not too "capitalistic" when they refuse to carry an LP that has "explicit lyrics"...then the morality police usually comes from the religious right. jus' saying.

demonizing the "left" for everthing moronic that happens in the us is kind of dumb. we are a nation of morons.

SicEmBaylor
1/8/2006, 04:21 AM
The freedom to allow individual businesses to set their own standards of decency is, in and of itself, capitalistic.

Further, as a conservative real complaints against Wal-Mart can be made. Being conservative doesn't mean supporting every incarnation of capitalism; support the system but that system breeds certain business practices that are open to criticism and fair scrutiny. As a conservative, I have a real problem with the effect that Wal-Mart has on small communities and local business. Now of course there are pros and cons to that including cheaper prices and creating jobs that would not otherwise exist. And in no way am I suggesting that Wal-Mart somehow be "stopped." Nonetheless, it makes no sense to criticize those who have legitimate complaints with any industry or any business and uninformly label them liberal or anti-capitalist.

King Crimson
1/8/2006, 04:42 AM
capitalism is property relationship. it's the magnification of a kind of value based in ownership. it has nothing to do with morality.

you can't praise it on the one hand for this and condemn it for that.

my only point is that it's absurd to blame the "left" for things that the "right" is also guilty of. whatever it's immediate political use value.

i'm not a democrat, and i never have been.

i'm just tired of seeing on this board and many other places, the media, whatever all this chest thumping about "accountability" when it seems the O'Reilly's and Limbaughs of the world spend all their time blaming someone else.....as a career move.

1/8/2006, 11:52 AM
capitalism is property relationship. it's the magnification of a kind of value based in ownership. it has nothing to do with morality.

you can't praise it on the one hand for this and condemn it for that.

my only point is that it's absurd to blame the "left" for things that the "right" is also guilty of. whatever it's immediate political use value.

i'm not a democrat, and i never have been.

i'm just tired of seeing on this board and many other places, the media, whatever all this chest thumping about "accountability" when it seems the O'Reilly's and Limbaughs of the world spend all their time blaming someone else.....as a career move.Just explaining it's not people on the right that are forever hammering on Wal-Mart, and Haliburton, and SUV'S, etc. What should O'Reilly and Limbaugh be blaming themselves for?:confused:

King Crimson
1/8/2006, 12:08 PM
point is it hypocritical (with O' Reilly and Rush) to talk all this so-called conservative dogma about "conservatives" and accountability while "liberals" play the blame game....and THEN spend quite a bit of time blaming "liberals" for every ill that this nation experiences. because only very small-minded people "on both sides" see the world in such absurd groupthink polar terms. but for some reason, this is the way we are chosing to live and act politically.

that you ask who they should be blaming is somewhat ironic, BTW.

be good, slick.

1/8/2006, 12:23 PM
point is it hypocritical (with O' Reilly and Rush) to talk all this so-called conservative dogma about "conservatives" and accountability while "liberals" play the blame game....and THEN spend quite a bit of time blaming "liberals" for every ill that this nation experiences. because only very small-minded people "on both sides" see the world in such absurd groupthink polar terms. but for some reason, this is the way we are chosing to live and act politically.

that you ask who they should be blaming is somewhat ironic, BTW.

be good, slick.Seriously, and with absolutely no ill-thought intended, I don't think I understand what you are saying.

lexsooner
1/8/2006, 12:36 PM
The reason this story is newsworthy is because it involves a commercial website of a large corporation which gets millions of hits and for whatever reason programmed in recommendations which were highly offensive and went right to deeply hurtful stereotypes of blacks, namely the black/ape connection. This stereotype has very deep historical roots and is about as racist and ugly as it gets. No, it just ain't the same as making a connection between Nazis and apes.

It's amazing how a thread about something which is obviously offensive can turn into a bunch of posters blasting the media for making light of it. I get the impression some people think anything short of a lynching or car-dragging is amusing and not a big deal.

These folks should ask their African-American friends or co-workers what they thought of this story, and they will find out why it is newsworthy. Then you will find out what kind of deep hurt they feel.

JohnnyMack
1/8/2006, 12:54 PM
Another shot by the left to 'Get Wal-Mart".They are in the cross hairs, 'cause they're TOO CAPITALISTIC.

I hate Wal-Mart because I think they're ruining America.

What American company imports the most products from China? What company has gotten so powerful it's buying power has forced countless jobs from America to south of the border?

I refuse to shop at Wal-Mart because I disagree with their business practices. That and it's full of the kind of people who think that it's OK to save .14 cents on Macaroni & Cheese and $2.23 on a pack of batteries are the same people who bitch about not being able to find good manufacturing jobs. Guess where they went dip****s? Figured out why?

1/8/2006, 12:58 PM
Wal-Mart apologized and discontinued the cross-referencing(so they said).I don't see the media making light of what Wal-Mart did. Rather, they (the article on the MSN news website) just reported it. I would tend to think Wal-Mart didn't intend for any inflammatory cross-referencing to occur. It was a goof which brought some very bad PR, which they certainly didn't want, since they get criticized a lot even when they don't screw up.

sanantoniosooner
1/8/2006, 01:05 PM
Wal-Mart apologized and discontinued the cross-referencing(so they said).I don't see the media making light of what Wal-Mart did. Rather, they (the article on the MSN news website) just reported it. I would tend to think Wal-Mart didn't intend for any inflammatory cross-referencing to occur. It was a goof which brought some very bad PR, which they certainly didn't want, since they get criticized a lot even when they don't screw up.
the fact that they have had to settle a class action lawsuit by employees indicates that there are issues with walmart other than competative envy.

Harry Beanbag
1/8/2006, 01:35 PM
Was Chocolate Foam another option? ;)

I thought this was gonna turn into another Brokeback Mountain thread.

Okieflyer
1/8/2006, 01:41 PM
Give me a stinking break! We're just looking for anything now.

1/8/2006, 02:55 PM
the fact that they have had to settle a class action lawsuit by employees indicates that there are issues with walmart other than competative envy. Yes. and in a company that big, I imagine there will always be issues, and people trying to bring them down or sue them to win a big $prize.

sanantoniosooner
1/8/2006, 02:58 PM
Yes. and in a company that big, I imagine there will always be issues, and people trying to bring them down or sue them to win a big $prize.
I have a hard time believing all the allegations are false.

1/8/2006, 03:02 PM
I have a hard time believing all the allegations are false.You are implying that I or anyone else said they were all false, no?

sanantoniosooner
1/8/2006, 03:06 PM
It's either sticking it to the man or they are true.

You 'implied' they were just being the corporate victim as so often happens.

1/8/2006, 03:19 PM
It's either sticking it to the man or they are true.

You 'implied' they were just being the corporate victim as so often happens.1)Revisit post #18 2) They do get unfairly slammed a lot. In this case, the reporting wasn't so bad, as it didn't particularly call the company racists-just suggested the possibility. It certainly didn't mention the possibility of subterfuge within the company, although that's another explanation for the offensive cross-referencing. Could be an unintended snafu, as well.

yermom
1/8/2006, 03:37 PM
ok, so i started thinking about how the related searches work...

the original movie was supposed to be a commentary on some civil rights issues, there are lots of hits in google for "planet of the apes civil rights"

sounds pretty innocent to me, all that needed to happen was for the description or metadata or whatever they use to show "civil rights" in the entry for Planet of the Apes