PDA

View Full Version : We need more RN's in this country stat!

Okla-homey
1/7/2006, 05:37 PM
just saying.

If you know someone who is a) trying to decide on a career or
b) is sick of the job they have

and

doesn't get freaked at the sight of blood or mucous

and

would be cool with around $50K to start with only an AD (no bachelors degree required unless they want to manage someday) then being a registered nurse is just the ticket. Immediate openings all over the country, just pick the city and start to work.

That is all.

Jimminy Crimson
1/7/2006, 05:38 PM
...and in most cases, you can get your education paid for with a guaranteed job!

crimsonrose
1/7/2006, 06:06 PM
i was thinking about going into that...but i think im just going to stick with criminal justice for now

yermom
1/7/2006, 06:16 PM
the tech boom did a number on the nursing grads

OUHOMER
1/7/2006, 06:30 PM
son is in school for that now... WHOO HOOO maybe he will pay me back

BajaOklahoma
1/7/2006, 06:33 PM
Until they can improve staffing in the hospitals, they are always going to be looking for more nurses. I don't care how much money you make, you have to be able to go home feeling good about the job you did. Most nurses actually like to get to know the patients and families. You just don't have time for that anymore.
An upside is that you will always be able to get a job. If you don't like one area, there are many other areas to explore.
Most of nursing is common sense - once you know how the body works.

BajaOklahoma
1/7/2006, 06:43 PM
the tech boom did a number on the nursing grads

Not so much. There are always more applicants than openings in the nursing schools.
There are two types of nurses - vocational (LVN or LPN) and registered.
LVN's usually has a less than a year of school - though some of the smartest people I know have been LVNs.
RNs have three options - diploma (usually from a hospital program), associated degree or Bachelors. Diploma programs has been phased out - there are very few, if any, left. The American Nurses Association started a push back in the 60's to require all nurses to have a BSN. Many of the nursing positions now require a BSN to start. Not a bad thing, IMO. But the universities need to increase the number of students in their program.

My mother is a diploma graduate from St. Anthony's in OKC. She insisted that I get my BSN.

yermom
1/7/2006, 06:48 PM
my mom got an Associate's at TJC back in the day (mid 70's)

her hospital couldn't hire anyone for **** a couple years after the dotcom era because a lot of the people that would have gone into nursing went into MIS instead

the baby boomers are getting older too... that should not help the nursing shortage

Okieflyer
1/7/2006, 07:53 PM
For my 1000th post, I'll just say, my brother is now working towards this now.

MojoRisen
1/7/2006, 08:03 PM
For my 1000th post, I'll just say, my brother is now working towards this now.

I Helped start a Health Care Staffing Company, the shortage is sick, we pay these Travel nurses very well 70-85K with all expenses covered- furnished top end appartments & rental cars, Per Diem - the list goes on- with the Per Diem Tax break the income is = 6 figures.

It is certainly going to be a good field- since we are about 2 million short.

MD

OklahomaTrombone
1/7/2006, 08:05 PM
One of my teacher has a hawt daughter who is a travelling nurse

She makes some serious coin.

MojoRisen
1/7/2006, 08:16 PM
One of my teacher has a hawt daughter who is a travelling nurse

She makes some serious coin.

Have her send her resume to www.sagenths.com or [email protected] if Sagent placed her we could pay you a 1K referral bonus!

That goes for all of you!!!

Jimminy Crimson
1/7/2006, 08:28 PM
Post her pic, first :D

Okla-homey
1/7/2006, 09:20 PM
We like the fact its a totally portable profession. No matter where the AF sent us, Mrs could waltz into town, apply at all the area hospitals, then take the best offer and start immediately. Even got a sweet five figure signing bonus here in T-town this summer.:D

Triumph
1/7/2006, 11:09 PM
I actually just graduated from Okccc with my ADN and start at Baptist on monday, I have a job in one of the Cardiac ICU's. I am only 26 hours short of a business degree so I am debating on just finishing that or going on to get my BSN.

I'm really excited and I feel that, for the near future, a nurse's income is only limited on how much they want to work. With traveling and Per Diem rates going at over $40/hr it is very exciting.

Fish
1/7/2006, 11:20 PM
Homey-You talkin' to me?

Sooner_Bob
1/7/2006, 11:21 PM
The Indian Health Service has a loan repayment program and it's a pretty safe bet that Nurses qualify. Plus if you meet the appointment standards you could become an Officer in the US Public Health Service.

www.usphs.gov

www.ihs.gov

NYSooner1355
1/7/2006, 11:23 PM
My wife has her BSN here, what are RN's paying in OK?

We've discussed moving there when I finish my Master's in May

OklahomaTrombone
1/7/2006, 11:24 PM
Homey-You talkin' to me?

You've already ruined any french maid fantasies I'll ever have...please don't do the same to nurses

;)

Fish
1/7/2006, 11:28 PM
sniff...sniff...:mack:

Triumph
1/7/2006, 11:31 PM

For a staff nurse you looking at a $17.50 to $25.00/hour.

For a per diem nurse(no benefits) I know Baptist is up to $30/hr and some other hospitals are advertising up to $43/hour, depending on your specialty.

Okla-homey
1/7/2006, 11:31 PM

Like I said, 50's at least to start, more w/experience, plus the cost of living is muey cheaper in OK than the northeast.

Okla-homey
1/7/2006, 11:32 PM
Homey-You talkin' to me?

Well, male nurses have a big leg up. Diversity goals and all.

BajaOklahoma
1/7/2006, 11:36 PM
My favorite job was with the OU College of Medicine.
Teacher retirement, faculty football tickets.... good times.

MojoRisen
1/7/2006, 11:50 PM

For a per diem nurse(no benefits) I know Baptist is up to $30/hr and some other hospitals are advertising up to $43/hour, depending on your specialty.

After 2-3 years under your belt and a specialty with specific certs- you can Travel at 30-45 per hour with furnished housing top end! Travel expense and a good portion of the 30-4 can be tax free Per Diem..

If you are a staff nurse getting experience: You will need a couple of years experience before you can hit the Per Diem Pool- at that time you could actually do both and supplement income no??

critical_phil
1/8/2006, 12:00 AM

mrs. critical owns a home health agency. she pays:

lpn's = $20/visit
rn's = $30/visit

nurses avg 50 visits/week

38 cents/mile for travel. shift dif for weekends and on-call. starts/resumes/recerts pay ~ double.

Triumph
1/8/2006, 12:35 PM

lpn's = $20/visit
rn's = $30/visit

38 cents/mile for travel. shift dif for weekends and on-call. starts/resumes/recerts pay ~ double.

Phil
How much experience do you need to start doing that, and do they offer part time positions?

Triumph
1/8/2006, 12:50 PM

lpn's = $20/visit
rn's = $30/visit

Phil
How much experience do you need to start doing that, and do they offer part time positions?

NYSooner1355
1/8/2006, 06:38 PM
my wife has 2+ years experience as an L&D nurse, and prefers working in maternity...what are the opportunities for her in that specialty?

She also plans on getting her M.S. in Women's Health...

tell me more about the travel nursing, how does it work and what is the availability down in OK? Mind you, I'll be looking for employment (probably in the education field) and we have 10 month old - with travel nursing are you constantly moving?

Okla-homey
1/8/2006, 07:09 PM
my wife has 2+ years experience as an L&D nurse, and prefers working in maternity...what are the opportunities for her in that specialty?

tell me more about the travel nursing, how does it work and what is the availability down in OK? Mind you, I'll be looking for employment (probably in the education field) and we have 10 month old - with travel nursing are you constantly moving?

If you would like to live in Tulsa, peem me. My wife manages L&D/Peds/NICU at Hillcrest and has hiring authority. I'm sure she'd like to hear more about your wife.

http://www.helmerichwomenscenter.com/index.php

Seriously, we moved here this summer and this is the cheapest place we've ever lived (23 years in the USAF all over the US from CA to NC and a lot of places in between). My wife really likes practicing here too. Western work ethic and all and the docs treat nurses like colleagues, not their beyonces.

MojoRisen
1/8/2006, 09:16 PM

Travel Nuring contracts are short term in duration 12-13 weeks generrally for some reason. A lot of hospital's prefer this over a Per Diem Pool or they use both. Most folks who are married and one is a travle nurse have a home base and pick locations they would like to visit etc. Again these are short term in duration- You could get in on a local Per Diem Pool and then get a travel contract - once the contract is over pick up hours in the Per diem pool and look for another contract.

You can visit www.sagenths.com to get an idea of Travel Assignments and Pro's and cons for it. Ussually you need 2-3 years in a Specialty to Travel-

ICU, ER , Telemetry, PICU, NICU, Labor??& Delivery, Med/Surg etc

MD

soonerbrat
1/8/2006, 09:24 PM
Not so much. There are always more applicants than openings in the nursing schools.
LVN's usually has a less than a year of school - though some of the smartest people I know have been LVNs.
RNs have three options - diploma (usually from a hospital program), associated degree or Bachelors. Diploma programs has been phased out - there are very few, if any, left. The American Nurses Association started a push back in the 60's to require all nurses to have a BSN. Many of the nursing positions now require a BSN to start. Not a bad thing, IMO. But the universities need to increase the number of students in their program.

My mother is a diploma graduate from St. Anthony's in OKC. She insisted that I get my BSN.

I thought about applying for nursing school but the application is due next week. OUHSC has a program for people with bachelor's degrees. If you have all the pre-req's (i do, my BS is in biology) it takes 14 months to get a BSN.

critical_phil
2/25/2006, 03:18 PM
I thought about applying for nursing school but the application is due next week. OUHSC has a program for people with bachelor's degrees. If you have all the pre-req's (i do, my BS is in biology) it takes 14 months to get a BSN.

btw, i'm glad you posted this. i'd never heard of it before.

this country will have one more RN in '07:D

BajaOklahoma
2/25/2006, 03:37 PM

Interesting.....

Oldnslo
2/25/2006, 04:04 PM
you go, girl. It would be a difficult year, but after that, you'd be in a pretty good position.

soonerbrat
2/25/2006, 04:33 PM
btw, i'm glad you posted this. i'd never heard of it before.

this country will have one more RN in '07:D

you got in??? congrats!!

soonerbrat
2/25/2006, 04:34 PM
you go, girl. It would be a difficult year, but after that, you'd be in a pretty good position.

i didn't apply this year, but i might next year...i would have, just couldn't get all my transcripts in time.

critical_phil
2/25/2006, 04:39 PM
you got in??? congrats!!

yes and thank you. got my acceptance letter today.

i would've never known the program existed if you hadn't posted that info. now i just need to get 3 hrs of developmental psych done before may 15. i'm gonna try to clep it next week.

soonerbrat
2/25/2006, 05:08 PM
yes and thank you. got my acceptance letter today.

i would've never known the program existed if you hadn't posted that info. now i just need to get 3 hrs of developmental psych done before may 15. i'm gonna try to clep it next week.

i think i clepped that at UCO...it was some psych class about kids

pretty easy clep.

i learned about that program through my last job..they laid off half of our staff (twice) and the big boss sent out an email for anyone looking for a career change. do you know how many people are in the class? or how many people applied?

critical_phil
2/25/2006, 05:31 PM
do you know how many people are in the class? or how many people applied?

40, i think.

i don't have any idea how many applied.

there was no interview process, which kind of surprised me. i guess there's some kind of point system - which must be heavily weighed toward GPA, because i can't think of anything else i had going for me (didn't go to OU, no experience in hospitals, etc)

critical_phil
8/31/2007, 12:47 PM

again brat, thanks for posting this.

i had thought about going to nursing school for a couple of years because my wife and i have business interests in health care. chances are i would never have pulled the trigger had i not found out it could be completed in such a short period of time.

well Howzit, it's now official. your next sponge bath will be by:

critical_phil, RN, BSN

i drove to Ft. Smith on tuesday to take my NCLEX (the testing site here in OKC is booked out ~6 weeks). got my results this a.m.

Okla-homey
8/31/2007, 01:39 PM

i had thought about going to nursing school for a couple of years because my wife and i have business interests in health care. chances are i would never have pulled the trigger had i not found out it could be completed in such a short period of time.

critical_phil, RN, BSN

i drove to Ft. Smith on tuesday to take my NCLEX (the testing site here in OKC is booked out ~6 weeks). got my results this a.m.

That's great man. Just great.

BTW, this occurred to me recently.

Have you ever noticed most jobs now have gender neutral names? E.g. policemen, firemen, mailmen are now police officers, firefighters and letter carriers or postal employees respectively.

Not so with nurses. "Nurse" seems pretty gender-specific in that it connotes...well, you know. Heck, elsewhere in the English-speaking world, they are usually called "Matron."

wassup wid dat?

yermom
8/31/2007, 02:30 PM
i thought the word for male nurse was "fag" ;)

seriously though, congrats. there are much worse fields to be in

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/31/2007, 02:30 PM
Awesome!

Okla-homey
8/31/2007, 02:39 PM
there are much worse fields to be in

you ain't kiddin'. Frankly, I know of no other skill set folks can acquire in as few as two years which allows a person to make a good living virtually anywhere in the world.

...except maybe for hawt strippers. But that has a serious downsides, like lap dancing for old crusty d00ds with bad breaf.;)

C&CDean
8/31/2007, 02:54 PM

critical_phil, RN, BSN

Congrats. When I got out of the Army I was dead set on becoming a nurse. I enrolled at Pima County Medical Institute in Arizona and became a NA. I was going to go on to the University of Arizona - until we did some geriatric work. This was in the mid-1970's, and I was the only guy in the class. I ended up cleaning up the **** and **** from the old ladies who couldn't hold their bladders or bowels, and when the 400 pound heifer couldn't get out of bed they go "Dean, you're a big strapping guy, can you pick her up so we don't have to go get the hoyer lift?" Then people started dying...

I got a letter from the USPS about this time saying I aced the tests and they wanted to hire me. I never looked back. However, I always thought I'd make a hell of a nurse, and I'm very glad to see some other guy get there (even if he is a poor investor who hob nobs with fags on this board). Good luck dude.

jk the sooner fan
8/31/2007, 03:42 PM
i spent alot of my time in cid hanging around the medical folks......they are the best in my book

you see some really funny **** in the ER :)

Jimminy Crimson
8/31/2007, 03:50 PM
Congrats, c_p!

phead903
8/31/2007, 04:03 PM

I agree!!:D

phead903
8/31/2007, 04:05 PM

critical_phil, RN, BSN

And you didn't stop to have a beer at the new Hooters with me?:D

Congrats CP!

critical_phil
8/31/2007, 04:11 PM
And you didn't stop to have a beer at the new Hooters with me?:D

Congrats CP!

heh. i had lunch at Hooters on the way out of town.

i also stopped at the gas station across the street and picked up a few bottles of Arkiesaw muscadine wine.

Rogue
8/31/2007, 10:52 PM
I'm married into a family of nurses and work side by side with 'em daily. Being an RN is, as a mentor of mine used to say, "the best union card in the country." The nursing shortage is a function of a number of things...many nurses move to less physically demanding jobs in admin and other areas in healthcare, the shortage has been played up some by the ANA and other groups because it's good for pay and bennies, and the culture in nursing. The latter is the other edge of the sword. Unlike many other professions, I don't think you'll ever see a cover-up among nurses because they don't stick together if something is wrong with patient care. Quite the contrary, they hang one another out to dry for questionable reasons. The old saying "nurses eat their young" is true in many cases. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bagging on them for this. It is, in some ways, a strength. Nurses just don't usually have a "team" mentality so if you're into that kind of thing it may not be the profession for you.

It's a huge profession full of people all across the spectrum of professionalism. Lots of duds and lots of the most caring and dedicated lifesavers I've known. And lots in between. A unique professional culture for sure.

Yes, these are huge generalizations that don't apply to everyone.

critical_phil
8/31/2007, 11:30 PM
Frankly, I know of no other skill set folks can acquire in as few as two years which allows a person to make a good living virtually anywhere in the world.

my wife owns/operates a home care agency, and i know for a fact you're speaking the troof.

one of my wife's nurses (a two-year community college RN) netted $3900 on her last paycheck - that's 100K/yr money, people. she worked her butt off, but she was rewarded for it too.

soonerbrat
8/31/2007, 11:32 PM

critical_phil, RN, BSN

you are welcome..i'm glad I posted that and that it helped someone out :D

i'm still considering it, but I won't do it for at least a year..i really like my job and I make pretty good money and have great benefits..including tuition reimbursement - so I may work on a master's degree.

my daughter just started high school, so I will stick with what I'm doing for a year or two..don't want to change jobs before she's done..but afterwards, I will be a free woman...I'm actually also considering going to med school - i'd have to go in the caribbean though...and i'd have to move out of oklahoma when I finished because oklahoma will not give a medical license to a person who goes to school there. neither will new york..but that may change before i finish.