PDA

View Full Version : Fire Calvin Simpson!

TheHumanAlphabet
1/7/2006, 03:59 PM
I'm tired of seeing offenses that run around and pass pretty only to miss baskets and mishandle balls.

We need Billy Tubbs back!

Calvin ball just ain't getting it done!

KABOOKIE
1/7/2006, 04:05 PM
You think this team passes pretty? :D

StoopTroup
1/7/2006, 04:07 PM
Easy THA....

It was another road game...

Eielson
1/7/2006, 04:44 PM
I am so tired of these people that don't know anything saying to fire Calvin Sampson aka Kelvin Sampson. He is a great coach. He is the reason we are even rated.

KABOOKIE
1/7/2006, 04:51 PM
I am so tired of these people that don't know anything saying to fire Calvin Sampson aka Kelvin Sampson. He is a great coach. He is the reason we are even rated. Before he came we were a football school only.

What are you 15 years old?

OUstud
1/7/2006, 05:48 PM
Easy THA....

It was another road game...

At NU! It's not like it's THAT hard of a place to play...why can't we just go to Big XII North schools (who, outside of KU, aren't that great) and get it done instead of letting them hang around (see: Mizzou, KSU, ISU last year).

MojoRisen
1/7/2006, 08:50 PM
Word- we should fire Sampson- I would hire Bob Huggins!

Newbomb Turk
1/7/2006, 08:57 PM

What has Huggins done that Sampson hasn't?

william_brasky
1/7/2006, 08:59 PM
I don't think we should fire Calvin. Maybe just re-assign him to head up a men's varsity Bowling Team. Perfect Spare baby!

oumartin
1/7/2006, 09:06 PM
what do you mean he is the only reason we are ranked?
if thats the case thats all the more reason to run him off.
I say we go get Jim Calhoun
No way UConn can pay more than OU if they would just suck it up.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/7/2006, 10:07 PM
I am so tired of these people that don't know anything saying to fire Calvin Sampson aka Kelvin Sampson. He is a great coach. He is the reason we are even rated.

Hey Newbie, perhaps you should lurk for a while before posting, then you would figure out that Calvin Simpson and firing him is an inside joke from a long time ago!

Fricking newbies!

Soonerus
1/7/2006, 10:14 PM
We just need improved guard play...it will happen...

GDC
1/7/2006, 10:28 PM
We go through this every year, the negativity and questioning of the team and coaches. I think it would be hard to do better than Coach Sampson.

OU_Sooners75
1/7/2006, 10:32 PM
Who is Calvin Simspon?

oumartin
1/7/2006, 10:34 PM
you know. Calvin, the guy that broke a few rules.

bluedogok
1/7/2006, 10:43 PM
What I get tired of is the 10 minute periods of not scoring that happens in every game....

StoopTroup
1/7/2006, 10:55 PM
I hate the commercials.

MojoRisen
1/7/2006, 11:12 PM

Huggins would have a national title trust me- Kenyon Martin got Hurt in the Conference USA tourney that year- no one could stop them... He puts a lot more players in the NBA - which to me says something- either he recruits better players or he develops better players.

sanantoniosooner
1/7/2006, 11:13 PM
Huggins would have a national title trust me- Kenyon Martin got Hurt in the Conference USA tourney that year- no one could stop them... He puts a lot more players in the NBA - which to me says something- either he recruits better players or he develops better players.
don't we gripe about thug programs?

Huggins is a thug factory.

MojoRisen
1/7/2006, 11:29 PM
don't we gripe about thug programs?

Huggins is a thug factory.

Yes- but it is much more over hyped than it really was there- lot's of good kids went to Cinci while Huggins was there- Several. The School was atcually rated very high for academics- as well. Top 5 in Law Top 5 in Medical and Top 20 in Business.

I really am DOWN on SAMPSON- and I garuantee that Huggins was a better in game adjustments coach!

Tubby will be available soon- but that would be a lateral....

sanantoniosooner
1/7/2006, 11:31 PM
Yes- but it is much more over hyped than it really was there- lot's of good kids went to Cinci while Huggins was there- Several. The School was atcually rated very high for academics- as well. Top 5 in Law Top 5 in Medical and Top 20 in Business.

I really am DOWN on SAMPSON- and I garuantee that Huggins was a better in game adjustments coach!

Tubby will be available soon- but that would be a lateral....
UK to OU is lateral?

You are an optimistic fellow.

I'd love to have him though. One of the best tournament coaches I've ever seen.

OU_Sooners75
1/7/2006, 11:35 PM
you know. Calvin, the guy that broke a few rules.

Oh...you mean the t-shirt scandal?

and the phone call scandal....

Seems to me that it happens all over the nation...but oh well..Kelvin is still a good coach.

dolemitesooner
1/7/2006, 11:36 PM
We should have fired bob stopps to after we lost 3 games..Hell I think we should still fire bob he sucks lets go get mack brown. He is HAWT.

Ohh and for the ****ing idiot swho think we need tubbs. He cant even coach lamar. Also the last 2 years he was here we went to the nit. Sampson has only done that once

MojoRisen
1/7/2006, 11:45 PM
UK to OU is lateral?

I meant a lateral for OKU- I guess I will get off Sampson- it is just that I find his teams to be very boring...... we will see come Tourney time what we are able to accomplish- The only way we would be able to fire Sampson is if he put 2 loosing season together back to back-

william_brasky
1/7/2006, 11:53 PM
The only way we would be able to fire Sampson is if he put 2 loosing season together back to back-

loosing seasons are unacceptable. ;)

MojoRisen
1/8/2006, 12:10 AM
loosing seasons are unacceptable. ;)

Yes they are- in fact you have to really suck to actually have a loosing record- how about 2 first round loses in a row- or better yet a 2nd round loss and a first round loss should be grounds for Dismissal-

I guess Kelvin that means you are on the HOT SEAT and better beat the 10 sead... this year.

william_brasky
1/8/2006, 12:12 AM
Yes they are- in fact you have to really suck to actually have a loosing record- how about 2 first round loses in a row- or better yet a 2nd round loss and a first round loss should be grounds for Dismissal-

I guess Kelvin that means you are on the HOT SEAT and better beat the 10 sead... this year.

what sead do you think the Sooners will get this year? granted, we don't have a loosing record?

MojoRisen
1/8/2006, 12:20 AM
what sead do you think the Sooners will get this year? granted, we don't have a loosing record?

6 maybe 5 if we make a late run- we should not be in the top 25 right now and are seriously on the bubble if this continues we are not playing well at all.

Looking back - we actually looked good against nova...

Jmorales22
1/8/2006, 01:29 AM
It's really hard to have a loosing season. In fact I don't know how you do that. Do you stretch the season out to make it looser? Now a losing season, that takes bad play.

And speaking of bad play, I blame the players, not coach Sampson. I already gave up on this team a few games ago. What was once a promising season is now in the garbage. This team isn't even as good as last year's. We better start looking forward to next season, with the nice recruiting class coming in.

MojoRisen
1/8/2006, 01:39 AM
It's really hard to have a loosing season. In fact I don't know how you do that. Do you stretch the season out to make it looser? Now a losing season, that takes bad play.

And speaking of bad play, I blame the players, not coach Sampson. I already gave up on this team a few games ago. What was once a promising season is now in the garbage. This team isn't even as good as last year's. We better start looking forward to next season, with the nice recruiting class coming in.

LOOSER! Sampson is boring- and his kid looks just like him and sucks and Sampson is never going to win a National Championship- He can not make in game adjustments- better hope he has his team playing real well at the end- I mean one of the best - b/c in basketball- you have to make adddsjussstments or you f'd. If it is the players - and the program is so highly toutttted for smart kids and graduation. WHY can't they play to thier potential or make adjustments.

SAMPSON is dicking off this year..... for some reason.

49r
1/8/2006, 01:44 AM
william_brasky, you're just evil! :D

How many more games do you think the Sooners will loose this year?

And do you really think that if Calvin's team loose to many, he'll be fired?

Jmorales22
1/8/2006, 01:54 AM
Kelvin usually gets maximum effort and tenacious defense. We scored pretty well in the 02 season, when we had the players. These guards suck. Austin Johnson is the only one who has a chance to be good but his ankle is messed up.

MojoRisen
1/8/2006, 02:30 AM
william_brasky, you're just evil! :D

How many more games do you think the Sooners will loose this year?

And do you really think that if Calvin's team loose to many, he'll be fired?

If he gets the maximum out of our players? then our players suck? OK: then our recruiting sucks as well- starts with coach- and these guys don't really suck- we have seen most of them play well.....

Any how- I think there is never going to come the day that Sampson gets fired --- Not as long as he is in the top percentile in the country for graduation and his teams are getting in the NCAA tourney- or we will have anothern Notre Dame thing going on-

We will be having Sampson for a long time and I appologize for getting on his arse as hard as I did... maybe he will make ADJUSTMENTS.

good night~

Collier11
1/8/2006, 04:58 AM
UK to OU is lateral?

Did you just say huggins is a great tournament coach?? 2 first round exits and 9 second rd exits in 17 years and didnt even make the tourney 3 times I believe, thats about 82.3% of the time that he either didnt make the tourney or was out in the first or second rd with teams consistently ranked in the top 10!! Not to mention he was a thug factory that didnt graduate anybody. If you were talking about tubby rather than huggins then I apologize, but If you were talking about huggins then that is way off!

bluedogok
1/8/2006, 11:36 AM
I wouldn't want Huggins, good coach but too much baggage and anger.

sanantoniosooner
1/8/2006, 11:44 AM
Did you just say huggins is a great tournament coach?? 2 first round exits and 9 second rd exits in 17 years and didnt even make the tourney 3 times I believe, thats about 82.3% of the time that he either didnt make the tourney or was out in the first or second rd with teams consistently ranked in the top 10!! Not to mention he was a thug factory that didnt graduate anybody. If you were talking about tubby rather than huggins then I apologize, but If you were talking about huggins then that is way off!
he was discussing tubby smith I believe.

you do know that UK is Kentucky not Cincy?

sorry I didn't provide a coloring book version.

OUstud
1/8/2006, 01:08 PM
Right now I wouldn't want Tubby, Huggie, or Tubbs (I don't think he runs the same offense at Lamar). I'd want Bruce Pearl, he's the closest thing college basketball has to run-n-gun.

Not saying I want Kelvin gone, he's done good things, and we'll snap out of this, our winter slump (which came early) will end around January 20, and we'll be in good shape to take on anyone.

oumartin
1/8/2006, 01:35 PM
DAVE BLISS!!!

NormanPride
1/8/2006, 02:23 PM
a reigning big 12 champion who loses to utah in the 2nd round is not acceptable. phire calvin simpson NOW.

Collier11
1/8/2006, 04:38 PM
he was discussing tubby smith I believe.

you do know that UK is Kentucky not Cincy?

sorry I didn't provide a coloring book version.

And youre almost 40 yrs old, who knew with the way you talk to people sometimes!! The discussion involved huggins and smith, thats why I provided the facts and stated that if you were talking about smith rather than huggins then I apologize...maybe you should read the whole thing before you criticize people

sanantoniosooner
1/8/2006, 04:44 PM
And youre almost 40 yrs old, who knew with the way you talk to people sometimes!! The discussion involved huggins and smith, thats why I provided the facts and stated that if you were talking about smith rather than huggins then I apologize...maybe you should read the whole thing before you criticize people
If you would have read my whole post, which was quite short, you would have caught cues about who I was talking about. I didn't address Huggins AT ALL in that post.

Lighten up a little.

Collier11
1/8/2006, 04:50 PM
If you would have read my whole post, which was quite short, you would have caught cues about who I was talking about. I didn't address Huggins AT ALL in that post.

Lighten up a little.

Im completely fine bro, you are the one bouncin around insults, i.e coloring book
I said in my reply to your initial post that if you were talking about tubby smith then I apologize, in fact the only point I even made was that huggins was a tourney bust, I never came down on you. I dont get mad or all tense about what is said on here, its just a message board, but if you put me down im gonna come back at you. In know way was I trying to insult you, just making a point that huggins was a bad tourney coach. Alls good with me though

sanantoniosooner
1/8/2006, 04:52 PM
Im completely fine bro, you are the one bouncin around insults, i.e coloring book
I said in my reply to your initial post that if you were talking about tubby smith then I apologize, in fact the only point I even made was that huggins was a tourney bust, I never came down on you. I dont get mad or all tense about what is said on here, its just a message board, but if you put me down im gonna come back at you. In know way was I trying to insult you, just making a point that huggins was a bad tourney coach. Alls good with me though
If coloring book gets your goat, you wont last long.

william_brasky
1/8/2006, 04:55 PM
http://www.cptv.org/Images/tv/Elmos_Coloring_Book_Graphic.gif

NormanPride
1/8/2006, 05:42 PM
he can't recruit, even with all the extra phone calls. now, he can't beat mediocre big 12 programs - ones that actually sell out crowds.

ps: this is still badger, not np

sanantoniosooner
1/8/2006, 05:43 PM
ps: this is still badger, not np
how hard is it for you to just log him out and log yourself in?;)

william_brasky
1/8/2006, 06:50 PM
how hard is it for you to just log him out and log yourself in?;)

apparently impossible :les:

Collier11
1/8/2006, 07:18 PM
done with this, plain and simple...kelvin needs to do a better job!

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/9/2006, 12:53 PM
We've underachieved to this point I will give but Sampson has a pretty good track record of taking teams that look mediocre in early January and making them pretty damn good by March. No way we should lose at Neb I'll give you that but most years you will have 1-2 road losses that will make you scratch your head.

I think it is apparent that at this point we are not a Final 4 team. We are really tough inside and can rebound with anybody. We aren't great at getting pressure on the guards and wings. Everett is a good mismatch on the offensive end as a PG (when he isn't turning the ball over) but on the defensive end at 6'5" he isn't as quick as most PG he is covering. I'm not giving up on Carter but so far he isn't as good as billed. When Neal is out of the line-up we are a very poor outside shooting team. We were clearly overrated going into the season though it is easy to see why.

All that said Sampson will have this team player better as the year moves on and by the end of the year we will be much better than we are now.

Now, Calvin Simpson, does need to go. :)

Sooner04
1/9/2006, 05:05 PM
Sampson has a track record of teams looking like crap in January and turning them into studs by the end of February.

Unfortunately, they shoot their wads for the Big 12 Tournament and are dead tired by the time the NCAAs come around. 2000, 2001 and 2005 are all instances of this.

Also, there isn't a single, solitary reason in the world that Bookout and Gray should not combine for under 30-35 shots a game. NONE.

oumartin
1/9/2006, 07:11 PM
except the opposing defenses sagging to take away the inside passes which Kelvin tries to get his players to force anyway that lead to turnovers and if not that then they pass the ball around the perimeter until there is 4 seconds on the shot clock and launch a contested 3.
if the darn 3 pointer is an open look take it. even if the shot clock has plenty of time left I say. the more shots you take the more could go in.

Jmorales22
1/10/2006, 04:35 PM
The fact is that Gray and Bookout are both 5s and they shouldn't be on the court together, but if you don't put them there, you are denying PT to a very good player. So Kelvin's in a tough spot. We might be better off with a more athletic guy who can score with the ball on the floor like Griffin or Carter at the 4, but that's not going to happen.

All that being said the team should still be better than it is, and it's the guards that are the reason. We really miss Lawrence McKenzie, and Terrel Everett is in one of those funks he gets into. Nobody can get him out of it but him. He's just a streaky player like that.

BarryBnds
1/10/2006, 11:07 PM
We go through this every year, the negativity and questioning of the team and coaches. I think it would be hard to do better than Coach Sampson.

We can hire anyone that could get us beat on the road to frigging Nebraska and at home to Mizzou. Hell I could lead a good team into a loss to Indiana State or Manhattan and I'd coach for OU-Texas tickets.