PDA

View Full Version : ****Official OU/NU Thread****

Pages : 1 [2]

StoopTroup
1/7/2006, 04:06 PM
It wasn't my fault...

2:30 left in the game and OUr old aggie neighbors came by to see us.

I went out to talk with them and came back to see we lost.

Darn Aggies.

Newbomb Turk
1/7/2006, 04:08 PM
Good News.
DeMarco Murray is going to be a Sooner.

John Kochtoston
1/7/2006, 04:08 PM
Difference. Bob's teams usually play up to the hype. I can take a one year blow. With Kelvin, it's an annual thing.

A Final Four, 11-year postseason streak, a conference title, 3 Big XII Tourney titles and a 74% winning percentage say differently.

GrapevineSooner
1/7/2006, 04:10 PM
I can count the number of times our guards attacked the rim on one hand.

That's not good. And I'd be cutting Kelvin some slack for this is not for the fact they've had a mediocre offense FOR THREE YEARS!!!!

At some point, you've got to address that need. Otherwise, this wil be a team that just gets into the NCAA Tournament every March and gets eliminated in the first or second round.

Look, the guy can coach as evidenced by some of his side projects. I just don't understand why we can't address this glaring hole in our game.

msteudem
1/7/2006, 04:12 PM
I know we play well at home with a lot of intensity. Why can't we take that intensity on the road. Where is the emotion in this team. They are just going through the motions. I don't fault KS for this.

And by the way I think I still see Taj posting up >>>>> can someone please pass him the ball!? Austin Johnson can you get your twin brother that played in your place at the Alabama game to come back to play for us?

NickZeppelin
1/7/2006, 04:12 PM
Terrell Everett just blew it. Kelvin did everything right you should do as a coach. But Everett threw it to where there were 3 huskers and no Sooner within 20 feet and we deserved to lose after that point.

CtheB
1/7/2006, 04:14 PM
A Final Four when the road was paved for them to advance (still got crushed by a much lower seeded Indiana).
AN 11 year post season streak where he has failed to win at least two games eight of the 11 times.
A conference title when KU and OSU choked it off in the last week. (ANd by the way we were CO-CHAMPS.)
A 74% winning percentage against a usually soft nonconference schedule in a 5 team conference.

FaninAma
1/7/2006, 04:16 PM
Two chances to save the win with a rebound, and we don't get either one.

And for all of you Sampson haters, save it. Seriously. Yes, this season has been disappointing so far, but we looked like creamed crap halfway through the football season, and I didn't hear anyone calling for Stoops' job. Our offense stinks because our guard play does. Pure and simple.

Well if Stoops' teams show a repeated pattern of being unprepared for games like they were in the first three games this season you might see it.

Fans aren't criticizing Sampson because this year's team plays like crap on offense. They're criticizing him becuse this is a repeated occurence.

John Kochtoston
1/7/2006, 04:22 PM
A Final Four when the road was paved for them to advance (still got crushed by a much lower seeded Indiana).
AN 11 year post season streak where he has failed to win at least two games eight of the 11 times.
A conference title when KU and OSU choked it off in the last week. (ANd by the way we were CO-CHAMPS.)
A 74% winning percentage against a usually soft nonconference schedule in a 5 team conference.

1. Roads have been better paved for other teams. You've still got to follow them.
2. Yep, we've stumbled in the tourney a couple of times when we shouldn't have. But, OU's also had success there under Sampson.
3. KU was co-champ like Texas was co-champ of the Big XII South in 2002.
4. Perhaps a valid criticism early on, not so much anymore.

StoopTroup
1/7/2006, 04:24 PM
I'd rather get a loss out of the way right now.

Frozen Sooner
1/7/2006, 04:32 PM
Finally, I've found some believers. Watch out for the guy from Alaska that posts here. He's not a local guy, so he believes the hype about Sampson.

You know what, dude? Go F yourself. I've been posting here regularly for five years and graduated from the University of Oklahoma.

I watched the last two years of Billyball from the stands-EVERY SINGLE HOME GAME-and for all your longing to bring him back Kelvin's worst season is still better than those squads.

Fine, you don't like Kelvin Sampson basketball. You hate watching our basketball team. GO WATCH SOMETHING ELSE!

Am I disappointed by what happened today? Yep, absolutely. Is this team living up to their potential right now? Nope, not at all. But the season isn't over right now and it won't be for a while.

And I guess believing the "hype" about Sampson is agreeing with just about anyone who isn't clueless about basketball that he's a very very good coach.

John Kochtoston
1/7/2006, 04:37 PM
You know what, dude? Go F yourself. I've been posting here regularly for five years and graduated from the University of Oklahoma.

I watched the last two years of Billyball from the stands-EVERY SINGLE HOME GAME-and for all your longing to bring him back Kelvin's worst season is still better than those squads.

Fine, you don't like Kelvin Sampson basketball. You hate watching our basketball team. GO WATCH SOMETHING ELSE!

Am I disappointed by what happened today? Yep, absolutely. Is this team living up to their potential right now? Nope, not at all. But the season isn't over right now and it won't be for a while.

And I guess believing the "hype" about Sampson is agreeing with just about anyone who isn't clueless about basketball that he's a very very good coach.

What he said. :)

CtheB
1/7/2006, 04:57 PM

Actually, I was a season ticket holder beginning in 1986 and continued to be until two years after graduation in 1992. Then I became a season ticket holder and donor in 1993 and continued to do so until 1999 when I realized that it wasn't any fun to go watch OU basketball anymore, and definitely not worth the time and money. So I did quit spending money on them.

But, frankly, I'll watch whatever I like, and if I want to watch Ou ball, then I will. And if I have an opinion, I will express it. ANd if you disagree with it, then I won't tell you to go "F yourself".

Grow up. Then we can discuss.

NickZeppelin
1/7/2006, 05:01 PM
OU basketball has gotten better every year under Sampson usually. 2003 it wasn't because of injuries/suspensions. This year and last year have had slumps in the middle of the season buth last year finished strong. We need to turn things around soon I agree. But Kelvin's proven he can.

SoonerGOP
1/7/2006, 05:06 PM
I love how everyone is quick to blame Sampson and not the players that cough up the ball straight to the opposing side on their own side of the court so they can hit a three pointer to win the game.

Except for NickZep...he got that call right.

Some people just don't like OU's current style of play.

And I think I enjoyed the days of Hollis Price & Co. just as much as the days of Mookie Blaylock & Co.

oumartin
1/7/2006, 05:10 PM
problem is we are along way from having players like Hollis Price..
Everyone has an opinion and there is no need to get riled up.
My opinion is that while I respect him and think he is classy I would like to see a change.
Now, thats just me

John Kochtoston
1/7/2006, 05:13 PM
Actually, I was a season ticket holder beginning in 1986 and continued to be until two years after graduation in 1992. Then I became a season ticket holder and donor in 1993 and continued to do so until 1999 when I realized that it wasn't any fun to go watch OU basketball anymore, and definitely not worth the time and money.

Boy, did you pick a great time to bail out. :rolleyes:

NickZeppelin
1/7/2006, 05:13 PM
I agree we don't have a Hollis Price although I think Austin Johnson will be as good as Hollis was. But this team from what I understand is unbelieveable in practice. And very fundamental. They just just aren't gamers. Especially Everett this year.

CtheB
1/7/2006, 05:19 PM
OU basketball has gotten better every year under Sampson usually. 2003 it wasn't because of injuries/suspensions. This year and last year have had slumps in the middle of the season buth last year finished strong. We need to turn things around soon I agree. But Kelvin's proven he can.

Nick, of course you mean every year except 2003-2004 correct?

NickZeppelin
1/7/2006, 05:20 PM
Yes. It's hard to refer to Basketball seasons becuase they go into 2 different years. Yes of course that's what I meant.

CtheB
1/7/2006, 05:21 PM
Boy, did you pick a great time to bail out. :rolleyes:

True, but I saved a bunch of money to maintain my football seats. Giving up on Sooner basketball, and switching my car insurane to Geico of course. :)

King Crimson
Then I became a season ticket holder and donor in 1993 and continued to do so until 1999 when I realized that it wasn't any fun to go watch OU basketball anymore,

then maybe you made the right choice for you....if you didn't have any fun after 99. why you keep posting about it is probably the next thing you might sort out for yourself.

you seem to have different goals with your personal identification with OU basketball than at least I do.

CtheB
Yes. It's hard to refer to Basketball seasons becuase they go into 2 different years. Yes of course that's what I meant.

Nick. That's my bad, I didn't catch that in your post.

CtheB
1/7/2006, 05:26 PM
I'll just make my point that is hanging in this CtheB/Kelvin thing since the Tubbs' team of 90 i was wrong about.

if you want to play the "i've been going to games since....thing". i went to damn every home game at the LNC (and some at the Fieldhouse) since my dad (who walked on under John MacLeod) starting buying season tix in the mid 70's and he became a donor with the old man..... until i went away to college. he's had the same seats in LE4 for over 25 years.

you don't think there were disappointing, sloppy losses under Billy? Roosevelt Chapman? Dana Kirk? watching ****ing EPSN highlights of KU or MU beat us in KC at the Big 8 tourney?

i think most people would give you some more cred for your criticism if didn't backlash into Billy Nostalgia. My father did the legal work for Billy's Converse deal, and i knew Billy, all that ****. i love Billy Tubbs. I loved Billy TUbbs' OU teams. but, you know what? he's not coaching OU anymore. so when you default a criticism into some de facto blameless praise of Tubbs....you look stupid. Billy got upset, he lost conference games on the road. he wasn't perfect.

then maybe you made the right choice for you....if you didn't have any fun after 99. why you keep posting about it is probably the next thing you might sort out for yourself.

you seem to have different goals with your personal identification with OU basketball than at least I do.

KC, I was only referring to my stint as a season ticket holder to prove that I am definitely in support of OU Basketball, and I just don't understand why his style has never changed to suit the talent coming into the program. Our guys all have mufflers on. Look at what even Reid Gettys said today, "I don't understand their offense, it seems like they pass the ball, and they just send it right back up."

I got no beef with any of you guys, I just have my opinions about OU basketball. I apologize if anyone has been offended by them, it wasn't intended. YOu all get to say what you want, so I am going to say what I want. When it comes down to it, it's not that big a deal on the grand scheme of things, but if this is only a site for the Sunshine Pumper, where all things negative about OU are frowned upon, then I must be at the wrong place.

Frozen Sooner
1/7/2006, 05:30 PM
Actually, I was a season ticket holder beginning in 1986 and continued to be until two years after graduation in 1992. Then I became a season ticket holder and donor in 1993 and continued to do so until 1999 when I realized that it wasn't any fun to go watch OU basketball anymore, and definitely not worth the time and money. So I did quit spending money on them.

But, frankly, I'll watch whatever I like, and if I want to watch Ou ball, then I will. And if I have an opinion, I will express it. ANd if you disagree with it, then I won't tell you to go "F yourself".

Grow up. Then we can discuss.

Hm. Yeah, the person who implied that I just believe hype about Kelvin Sampson because I live out of state is the mature, logical debater with valid points.

Again, if it's not fun to watch OU basketball, then why are you doing it?

You obviously don't have fun watching winning basketball-since Kelvin has won more games than any coach in our history and IIRC has a higher winning percentage.

Frozen Sooner
1/7/2006, 05:32 PM
Oh, if you'd like to find some like-minded people to discuss what a terrible basketball team Oklahoma has, I'm sure www.gopokes.com has a few open registration slots.

King Crimson
1/7/2006, 05:33 PM
KC, I was only referring to my stint as a season ticket holder to prove that I am definitely in support of OU Basketball, and I just don't understand why his style has never changed to suit the talent coming into the program. Our guys all have mufflers on. Look at what even Reid Gettys said today, "I don't understand their offense, it seems like they pass the ball, and they just send it right back up."

I got no beef with any of you guys, I just have my opinions about OU basketball. I apologize if anyone has been offended by them, it wasn't intended. YOu all get to say what you want, so I am going to say what I want. When it comes down to it, it's not that big a deal on the grand scheme of things, but if this is only a site for the Sunshine Pumper, where all things negative about OU are frowned upon, then I must be at the wrong place.

we're cool, and you caught me before the edit. I'm not pumping sunshine for Kelvin, i was at WVU game.....i just don't like the fire the coach mentality.

my dad is a lot harder on KS than most people who take the time to articulate someting other than "we're OU, we deserve to win. bring back teh Skeeter Meter". if you read the rest of this board i think you'll see that there is a lot more disappointment than sunshine pumping.

SoonerGOP
1/7/2006, 05:35 PM
I think we rely too much on outside shooting and have difficulty getting the ball inside.

But, then again, I'm not a basketball coach.

Frozen Sooner
1/7/2006, 05:39 PM
we're cool, and you caught me before the edit. I'm not pumping sunshine for Kelvin, i was at WVU game.....i just don't like the fire the coach mentality.

my dad is a lot harder on KS than most people who take the time to articulate someting other than "we're OU, we deserve to win. bring back teh Skeeter Meter". if you read the rest of this board i think you'll see that there is a lot more disappointment than sunshine pumping.

Agreed, and if people don't think I'm disappointed with the product on the court this year, they've sadly misread me. I don't think Kelvin has done a great job coaching this particular team, but I DO think he did a very good job last year and there's still time to turn this one around.

Newbomb Turk
1/7/2006, 05:41 PM
...i just don't like the fire the coach mentality.

...if you read the rest of this board i think you'll see that there is a lot more disappointment than sunshine pumping.

agree on both parts.

Jimminy Crimson
1/7/2006, 05:41 PM
does anyone else still want to scream? :mad:

Frozen Sooner
1/7/2006, 05:44 PM
I may have yelled "MOTHER****ER!" several times in the last few seconds.

;)

King Crimson
1/7/2006, 05:46 PM
Agreed, and if people don't think I'm disappointed with the product on the court this year, they've sadly misread me. I don't think Kelvin has done a great job coaching this particular team, but I DO think he did a very good job last year and there's still time to turn this one around.

i wasn't responding to you BtH. don't flatter yerself. :D snort/chuckle.

OUstud
1/7/2006, 05:53 PM
I think we just have trouble playing at Big XII North venues, for whatever reason. Seems like we always have trouble up there, regardless of the opponent's record. Like last year: buzzer beater to beat KSU, lose to MIZZOU and ISU. But with the Big XII South, the only road loss we had was at Aggy.

CtheB
1/7/2006, 06:01 PM

KC/Frozen...I'm with you both as OU fans. I've got no issues with either one of you at all. I also have harbored these thoughts for years, and am just now beginning to put them on this board. I respect your thoughts, and Frozen I didn't intend to insult you for living out of state.

We differ on our beliefs about OU basketball.....fair?

KC//CRIMSON
1/7/2006, 06:16 PM
You see, this is what happens when sooner fans root for Tejas to win the MNC.

Bad bad karma, man.

Frozen Sooner
1/7/2006, 08:12 PM
KC/Frozen...I'm with you both as OU fans. I've got no issues with either one of you at all. I also have harbored these thoughts for years, and am just now beginning to put them on this board. I respect your thoughts, and Frozen I didn't intend to insult you for living out of state.

We differ on our beliefs about OU basketball.....fair?

All good man. Honestly, you didn't say anything that I probably haven't said before-just in a bit more (shall we say) forceful manner. I get pretty emotional about losses at times (or even just periods of bad play) and say things in the heat of the moment that are more forceful than intended.