PDA

View Full Version : Starlight Vocal Band versus Tony Orlando and Dawn; The Captain v. Richard Carpenter

lexsooner
1/7/2006, 12:49 PM
Who would win? I say Tony Orlando, since his band had multiple hits and a longer running tv variety hour. Starlight only had one hit, "Afternoon Delight," and only a short-running summer filler series on network tv. The only plus side for Starlight is Tony's history of mental instability which resulted in the downward slide of his career and subsequent suicide. Wait, that was Freddie Prinze ("Loooking Gooood"). I always get those two mixed up!

The Captain versus Richard Carpenter. Who would win? The clear winner is Richard Carpenter. Even though both depended on their sidekicks, Toni Tenille and Karen Carpenter, for their livelihood, Richard is clearly the more talented. The Captain only played keyboards, but Richard played numerous instruments - keyboards, oboe, drums, you name it, and he could even sing. He was also a master mixer and arranger and he even wrote some of Karen's songs. Whether you like The Carpenters or not, you have to admit his arrangements were wonderfully done.

Finally, the Captain dressed a lot like Danny Noonan during his visit to the yacht club in Caddyshack, so that is one big demerit against him.

royalfan5
1/7/2006, 12:53 PM
I agree with Tony Orlando and Dawn winning the first, but I think the Captain's dressing gives him and edge on Richard Carpenter.