PDA

View Full Version : Friday night, across the river from New Orleans

TUSooner
1/7/2006, 10:58 AM
Friday night, Mrs. TU and daughter #2 decided we needed Chinese food for supper. That was OK because Chinese restaurants are about the only thing open at night around the Westbank these days - so I’m told. Nobody wanted to go out because of the crowds, so we decided on take-out. We finally settled on China Doll out in Harvey. Both of their phone lines were busy, so it took about 10 minutes just to get through. Order placed; wait time about 55 minutes. After killing some time on SF.com, I headed out. I kept an unopened can of beer with me, in case of trouble.

I switched on the radio. It was tuned to the “Sports Monster” and the Hornets game was on. I don’t really care much for hoops, especially on the radio, but I had to keep listening to “the Deaconess Hospital Half-Time Report” because the only Deaconess Hospital I know of is in OKC. It was a kick - a small one - to hear commercials for Oklahoma things on my radio in Harvey, LA. Almost like the time I picked up KOMA’s broadcast of the Moore-Norman HS football game down here long ago.

China Doll was closing at 9 and at 8:30 it was packed wall to wall. The bar was filled with diners, drinkers, and cigarette smoke. A really cute Vietnamese girl named Cecilia brought me my order. I was glad to know they were taking plastic, because you never know who’s “cash only” these days.

I got in the car and dug around in the bag for a cho-cho - a fried wonton filled with shrimp in a reddish sauce. It was good, so I grabbed another. There was no sign of trouble, but I opened the beer anyway. On the radio, the Hornets were fighting back after the Blazers had gone on something like a 19-1 run. Jerry V & Sean were concerned because Chris Paul had hurt his
thumb and would be out for 2 weeks. But a Ford Center full of Okies cheered as the Hornets regained the lead at the end of the 3rd quarter. Y’all sounded good.

Flagstaffsooner
1/7/2006, 11:06 AM
Hey, TU, did you hear that they are taking the rest of their Baton Rouge games to OKC? They feel that they don't have the home court thing at LSU.

Jimminy Crimson
1/7/2006, 01:27 PM
Y’all sounded good.

<takes bow>

:D

TUSooner
1/7/2006, 02:15 PM
Hey, TU, did you hear that they are taking the rest of their Baton Rouge games to OKC? They feel that they don't have the home court thing at LSU.
Actually, they're moving 2 of 5 BR games to OKC and the last 3, in March, to the NO Arena. But you got the reason right: The LSU thing was a failure. The Hornet spokesman was firmly straddling the fence as to next season and beyond. If I were the owner, I'd keep the team in OKC; NO is talking the talk but can't walk the walk right now.

Jimminy Crimson
1/7/2006, 02:25 PM
They highly overestimated the crowd at LSU.

I think the games at NOA in March should have decent numbers. I've thought about coming down for one.

It looks like the the game on the 13th won't be at the Ford due to Bon Jovi needing to rehearse (wtf?), so LNC and GIA are possibilities for that one.