PDA

View Full Version : New BSC Format for 2006 (Added Bowl Game)

Blues1
1/6/2006, 02:59 PM
New BCS format

Next season a fifth BCS bowl will be added to the lineup in what has been described as the “double-hosting’’ format.

Stay with me here.

The four core BCS bowls will remain: The Fiesta, Sugar, Orange and Rose Bowls.

But next season, on Jan. 1, 2007, the Fiesta Bowl will be held in the new stadium at Glendale, Ariz. Then, a week later on Jan. 8, another bowl will occur at the same site. Two Fiesta Bowls? Not exactly. The second one will be known as the “BCS National Championship Game’’ (count on a big-bucks sponsor stepping in).

In 2008, New Orleans will have a Sugar Bowl, then the title game.

In 2009, Miami will hold its Orange Bowl, then the title game.

And in 2010, maybe the strangest sight of all, Pasadena, Calif., will hold its Rose Bowl with all its tradition and pageantry, then stage another title game one week later.

What does adding another BCS game accomplish? Good question, since it will not bring us closer to a playoff or even a plus-one format (top two teams meeting after all the bowls).

It should improve access for smaller conferences. Example: Applying the new format, the 10-1 TCU Horned Frogs would have qualified for a BCS bowl. It will also open another BCS door to a team such as Oregon or Auburn, which were BCS-worthy, but squeezed out.

Joey Johnston is NBCSports.com's college football expert and a columnist for the Tampa (Fla.)

Keep Rockin'

KABOOKIE
1/6/2006, 03:02 PM
This just means the Big 10 and SEC will get 3 teams each in the BCS.

NormanPride
1/6/2006, 03:08 PM
This year's bowl season saved the BCS for another year. Since we weren't in it, nobody could complain about the format. And since all the games were so good, nobody complained about bad matchups.

Don't worry. We'll win it all again next year and people will be back to complaining.

Blues1
1/6/2006, 03:09 PM
With this format this last year IT could have been Oregon -vs - TCU......in the First Rose bowl - Then Texas and USC in Champ game also in the Rose Bowl....( I think..??)

Still R'

KABOOKIE
1/6/2006, 03:11 PM
With this format this last year IT could have been Oregon -vs - TCU......in the First Rose bowl - Then Texas and USC in Champ game also in the Rose Bowl....( I think..??)

Still R'

No, Oregon v. Ohio St.

OklahomaTuba
1/6/2006, 03:13 PM
Hmm, so let me see.

One additional game + one additional bowl game extending the season even longer is OK.

Yet we can't have a playoff.

fadada1
1/6/2006, 03:20 PM
Hmm, so let me see.

One additional game + one additional bowl game extending the season even longer is OK.

Yet we can't have a playoff.
[fonzie] EXACTAMUNDO!!! [fonzie]

why is this so freaking difficult???

Blues1
1/6/2006, 03:27 PM
The local Hotels & Motels and Food joints in Arizona gotta Love this Set up.........Through the Airports may get a little jammed....??? -- Fans from 4 teams all in town in One Week ---- Sounds Like a Great Party or a street gang Rumble....???----:D

Going Arizona in Late 2006 --- Gotta Keep Rockin' ---- :)

GrapevineSooner
1/6/2006, 04:38 PM
Because having a playoff would cause the kids to miss so much class time.

But that's apparently alright in Division I-AA. :rolleyes:

OklahomaTuba
1/6/2006, 04:49 PM
No, cause having a play off would make the season completly worthless, and not worth playing what so ever.

Never mind the only teams that could get into the playoff would be the ones that get ranked high enough, making the games during the season actually mean MORE, instead of playing all season to play in a worthless bowl game that is only about money.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/6/2006, 05:09 PM
I think a playoff would be good but I don't know that all problems would be solved. I-AA is a decent model but there aren't nearly as many teams and the semi-final playoff games are on a teams home field. Division II is even more a mess. This year in DII Central Missouri beats Pittsburg St 83-21 a week before the playoffs start. PSU made the playoffs while CMSU didn't. CMSU was 7-3, PSU 8-3 (largely due to scheduling the DII equivalent of the Citadel in non-conf). CMSU then sat at home while PSU nearly made it to the final 8, hosting a playoff game before losing to the 6th seed of a 6 team region that made it to the championship game (Northwest Mo).

Imagine the uproar if a 8-3 Ohio State team beat a 9-2 Michigan team 83-21 a week before the NCAA playoffs and Michigan went and Ohio St stayed home. I hope a playoff comes soon but I think before that there will need to be some reorganizing of the conferences and maybe less DI teams. Like Notre Dame in the Big 10 and maybe Fresno St and Utah moving to the Pac-10. Have all the big conferences have championship games etc.

MI Sooner
1/6/2006, 05:37 PM
Call me a BCS apologist, but I'm not sure a playoff is better, and I know that I wouldn't like it as much in some years.

First, I'd posit that we have a playoff now, but with only two teams. This playoff system picks the teams with the BCS formula (USA Today Poll, Harris Poll, composite of computer polls). The two relevant questions are 1) How many teams should get in, and 2) how are they selected.

No matter how many teams get in, the next best team will complain. I have much more sypathy for undefeated teams (Auburn/Utah '04) han I do for teams that lost (USC '03), although teams that lost still may have a legitimate gripe. With an expanded playoff, I worry about crowning an undeserving NC. With a 16 team playoff, a team like Michigan (or OU) could have possibly gotten in this year. Does the prospect of a 4 loss champion excite you? Maybe people are OK with this because the winner would have earned it on the field.

If they do expand the field, I think the teams that had the best seasons should be given a significant advantage, either through seeding, home field advantage, a bye, or a combination. I think a six team playoff would probably be best. This would ensure that anyone with a reasonable claim at #1 or #2 would be admitted, but few scrubs would get it. The #1 and #2 teams would have a bye, and would only have to win two games to take the title.

I like the way the teams are picked now (combination of polls and computer rankings), but I'd replace both polls. I can't think too many people with bigger conflicts of interest than the coaches, and the Harris Poll stinks. Maybe just the AP (or another group of sports journalists that agree) and the computers. I don't know.

OUstud
1/6/2006, 06:05 PM
Suppose there are 2 undefeateds, shouldn't they just be exempt from all bowls except the championship one?

David Earl
1/6/2006, 06:33 PM
Some things they MUST do.

1. Require ALL TEAMS *ahem* Notre Dame *ahem* to be in a conference, sharing their wealth with other teams. Otherwise, said team *cough* Notre Dame *cough* is ineligible for bowls, rankings or anything else BCS.

2. Require ALL CONFERENCES to play a CCG. All of them! Otherwise, said conferences are ineligible for bowls, rankings or anything else BCS and furthermore, must give all their revenue to me and apologize for being stupid.

3. Require the BCS bowl bids to go in order of BCS ranking. No more 8-3 "popular" teams getting BCS bowls while higher ranked, less popular teams get left out.

4. Require all voters to publicize their vote.

5. Reinstate SOS to its former place in the BCS formula.

6. Give a bonus deduction to the BCS team of my choice.

7. Tack on penalty points to five BCS teams of my choice.

FirstandGoal
1/6/2006, 06:35 PM

1. Require ALL TEAMS *ahem* Notre Dame *ahem* to be in a conference, sharing their wealth with other teams. Otherwise, said team *cough* Notre Dame *cough* is ineligible for bowls, rankings or anything else BCS.

2. Require ALL CONFERENCES to play a CCG. All of them! Otherwise, said conferences are ineligible for bowls, rankings or anything else BCS and furthermore, must give all their revenue to me and apologize for being stupid.

3. Require the BCS bowl bids to go in order of BCS ranking. No more 8-3 "popular" teams getting BCS bowls while higher ranked, less popular teams get left out.

4. Require all voters to publicize their vote.

5. Reinstate SOS to its former place in the BCS formula.

6. Give a bonus deduction to the BCS team of my choice.

7. Tack on penalty points to five BCS teams of my choice.

In:)

SoonerSince72
1/6/2006, 06:47 PM

AMEN to that!

josh09
1/6/2006, 10:16 PM
i thought the fiesta bowl....or, bowls, now from what you say....were in tempe, arizona, not glendale

LifelongSooner
1/6/2006, 10:22 PM
Another bowl game! Maybe Notre Dame can play itself in it and take ALL that money home with them.

OklahomaTuba
1/6/2006, 10:30 PM
i thought the fiesta bowl....or, bowls, now from what you say....were in tempe, arizona, not glendale
They are moving the game into the new stadium...

http://www.cmxsportsengineers.com/430x320%20Photos/New%20Cardinals%20Stadium%20rendering.jpg

josh09
1/6/2006, 10:42 PM
They are moving the game into the new stadium...

http://www.cmxsportsengineers.com/430x320%20Photos/New%20Cardinals%20Stadium%20rendering.jpg

WHOOOOOOOOOOA :eek:

NIIIIIIIICE

im definately going to the national championship next year WHEN we get there :D

Texas Golfer
1/6/2006, 10:43 PM
Suppose there are 2 undefeateds, shouldn't they just be exempt from all bowls except the championship one?

The problem I have with just going by records is that teams who schedule The Citidels (Auburn) and the Florida Internationals (Texas Tech) are rewarded for doing so and those who schedule three bowl-bound teams (Oklahoma) are punished.

I'd like to see everyone have to play by the same rules to get to the same goal (national championship). All Div 1A teams should belong to a major conference and every conference should have to play a championship game or nobody has to.

Do away with anything that could be construed as a biased situation such as human polls. Put all the agreed parameters into a computerized ranking system and select the bowl matchups and championship game based on the season ending results.