PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Columnist View on Rose Bowl

TexasLidig8r
1/6/2006, 01:53 PM
Sometimes.. even those insipid yankee columnist carck me up... ! :D

sports.espn.go.com/espn/p...ons/060105 (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060105)

Welcome Back, Coach Fredo

By Bill Simmons

TUSooner
1/6/2006, 01:54 PM
That's pretty good; I saw it yesterday & should've posted the link.

OUstudent4life
1/6/2006, 02:50 PM
I laughed pretty long at the "Emily's Reasons....<mumble>" thing when it originally happened. It was like Jackson thought the card was asking him a question..."I don't know why not. Huh."

Old Sooner
1/6/2006, 02:57 PM
WHY DO THEY SAY 3 STRAIGHT National Championships for SC. They only won 1.

NormanPride
1/6/2006, 02:59 PM
Yeah, the columnist was pretty funny, but just reeked of media-borne hype. It's like that guy was the poster boy for not-thinking-before-you-speak-but-still-sound-witty-so-people-don't-care. Man, the whole time I read that, I thought "What a tool!" Still, funny article.

I liked how he ranked Vince as the fourth best QB in the NFL already, despite admitting that all he was doing was running around on a poorly coached defense. He even said that the kid didn't complete a pass over 15 yards (is that even true?) What a moran.

TopDawg
1/6/2006, 03:27 PM
My two favorite parts:

Anyway, here's the setup: fourth-and-2, 2:11 remaining, USC on Texas' 45 and leading by five, with the logical move being a punt that would force Texas' offense to drive 85-90 yards in 120 seconds with a quarterback who hasn't completed a pass longer than 15 yards all game. The decision rests in the hands of Pete Carroll. For once, he does the logical thing -- goes for the game-ending first down, keeps Reggie Bush and his Heisman Trophy on the sideline, then runs a predictable dive play with LenDale White that falls short because everyone on the planet knew it was coming (including all 11 guys on the Texas defense). Wait, absolutely none of that was logical. Texas ball.

and

12:19 -- In one of the most amazing random sports blunders of all time, one of the USC players is forced to call their final timeout because they don't have the right defense for the 2-point conversion. By the way, there are only 19 seconds left. "My goodness!" Fouts screams.

(Sorry, I'm hanging that one on Carroll and his staff -- would anyone on a well-coached team think that the two-point conversion mattered more than a timeout there? Come on. That's beyond awful. Poor clock management, dumb penalties, no defensive adjustments, stupid decisions leading to turnovers, wasted timeouts for no good reason ... does any of this sound familiar, Pats fans?)

fadada1
1/6/2006, 03:32 PM
i sure hope this guy has found time in the past 4 years to finally appreciate how good the pats have been. NFL vs. NCAA football is a strange thing. college, you get to actually recruit the players you want - get the good ones to sign, and you'll have a chance.

nfl, you get told which players will play for you by an owner who can't spell "nfl" and has probably never played organized sports. i'm not defending carroll, but as we saw with spurrier, you lose SOOOOO much control in the pros.

bluesmagoo
1/6/2006, 03:41 PM
Interesting comments about Pete Carroll. Hopefully, he's already shot his wad in college football, too.

RedStripe
1/6/2006, 03:59 PM
What does a guy that follows baseball know about football?

NormanPride
1/6/2006, 04:12 PM
Carrol this year has not really show me much to prove he can gameplan someone really well. The bowls are usually a really good indicator of how good your coordinators and HC are, and USC looked like crap. Sure, their sheer talent edge kept them alive on offense, but everything else was pretty laughable. No coherent defensive scheme, no real offensive scheme, and a lack of discipline show that Carroll might not be the world-beater everyone thinks he is.

For example, look at Miami's Coker. He won it all in 2001, but so would a trained monkey. Now, his talent pool is still pretty good, but he doesn't have amazing people at every position like he did in 2001. Thus, a relatively down year, and an absolute embarassment in a bowl game.

John Kochtoston
1/6/2006, 04:23 PM
"I watched a record (for me) 10 college football games this year, including seven USC games, and only because of Reggie Bush. He's so close to Gale Sayers in so many ways, I would almost be afraid to be a white fullback on his NFL team next year. "

:eek:

FirstandGoal
1/6/2006, 05:37 PM
My favorite part of the article

-- Let's be honest -- there's no way Vince can succeed in the NFL with that throwing motion. It's impossible. It can't happen. I'm telling you. There has never been a successful NFL quarterback who threw like that. And by "that," I mean, "throws like someone who just realized they have dog poop on their hand and is trying to fling it off."

Why couldn't this quote have been around earlier in the season?
If VY stays, I think I gotta make this my new sig.:D

jdsooner
1/6/2006, 07:21 PM
The article was hilarious.

Texas Golfer
1/6/2006, 11:34 PM
This writer is really good. I'd like to see more of his work.

sooneron
1/7/2006, 12:04 AM
Yeah, the columnist was pretty funny, but just reeked of media-borne hype. It's like that guy was the poster boy for not-thinking-before-you-speak-but-still-sound-witty-so-people-don't-care. Man, the whole time I read that, I thought "What a tool!" Still, funny article.

I liked how he ranked Vince as the fourth best QB in the NFL already, despite admitting that all he was doing was running around on a poorly coached defense. He even said that the kid didn't complete a pass over 15 yards (is that even true?) What a moran.
Uh, yeah, that's part of the funny stuff. He's talking about buying into the hype. Maybe he will spell it out for some "special people" next time.:rolleyes:

sooneron
1/7/2006, 12:06 AM
i sure hope this guy has found time in the past 4 years to finally appreciate how good the pats have been. NFL vs. NCAA football is a strange thing. college, you get to actually recruit the players you want - get the good ones to sign, and you'll have a chance.

nfl, you get told which players will play for you by an owner who can't spell "nfl" and has probably never played organized sports. i'm not defending carroll, but as we saw with spurrier, you lose SOOOOO much control in the pros.
The Jets under Carroll - average
The Pats - below average

He didn't have much of a clue when he was with the Jets and he took NO gameplan or blueprint to NE.