PDA

View Full Version : TE position for 2006

Tear Down This Wall
1/6/2006, 10:34 AM
Joe Jon Finley and Aaron Cummings. If Kevin Wilson can get this position as productive as it was 1999-2002, I think Adrian Peterson easily goes for 2,000 yards. With the maturity of the new receivers, add production at tight end and teams won't be able to stack the line against us like they did this year.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/6/2006, 10:51 AM
add brody

OUstudent4life
1/6/2006, 11:04 AM
I heard an interesting point yesterday on the SA...Mark Rodgers mentioned that having VY be a very mobile quarterback is why their TE was open consistently...the LB's had to choose between covering the TE over the middle or attempting to contain Young. Young was smart enough to see them drop down to stop his rush and then hit the open TE all night.

Tear Down This Wall
1/6/2006, 11:19 AM
We had TE's open all over the place with Heupel and Hybl, so QB mobility is irrelevant to the TE game. AD's running and the three WRs should open up our TE game in 2006.

NormanPride
1/6/2006, 11:29 AM
I would prefer to see us run more two WR sets, considering the youth we have there. Until the WRs really hit their assignments constantly, I'd rather have more experienced people like Joe Jon out there.

Of course, I haven't really been impressed with JJF's hands...

Tear Down This Wall
1/6/2006, 11:38 AM
I agree with JJF's hands. But, he did make some pretty snappy catches. Moreso that Moses ever did. I like a three wide set like we used to see. I think Iglasias, Johnson, and Kelly did well the second half of the season.

Remember, after those three, you're still throwing Lendy Holmes and the kid from South Carolina, Eric Huggins into the mix. We'll be solid enough at WR to go three-sets a bunch in 2006. It'll be lethal with AD 100% and if a TE can step up.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/6/2006, 11:40 AM
you also have to have a QB that can see linebackers. bomar scares me when he throws over the middle.

NickZeppelin
1/6/2006, 11:45 AM
I think Bomar is a problem in not throwing to TEs. Also we don't have great TEs. Finley hasn't been consistant as a blocker or recievers. The others are unknowns at this point. Anyone know anything about the TE we have committed out of Rosenberg, Texas? Erik Mensik

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/6/2006, 11:46 AM
he's our next long snapper

Mjcpr
1/6/2006, 11:51 AM
add brody

Who? I don't remember that name.

Tear Down This Wall
1/6/2006, 11:55 AM
Brody Eldridge, I think?

FirstandGoal
1/6/2006, 11:58 AM
you also have to have a QB that can see linebackers. bomar scares me when he throws over the middle.

This is where Josh's tutelage will help out.

The Consumate Showman
1/6/2006, 12:07 PM
TE's and recievers are going to have to block better if AD is to go for lots of yards.....people forget that BJ, Clayton, Bradley, and Peoples could actually block on the edges last year....

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/6/2006, 12:12 PM
This is where Josh's tutelage will help out.

which brings us to one of those mysterious questions to be answered later about next year - does bomar think he knows more about being a QB than josh?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/6/2006, 12:14 PM
people forget the BJ

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59107

The Consumate Showman
1/6/2006, 12:18 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59107

:confused:

Tear Down This Wall
1/6/2006, 12:21 PM
:D

Everything's cool as long as Bomar isn't rolling in a new Benz? And preaching the gospel of Jesus?

FirstandGoal
1/6/2006, 12:23 PM
which brings us to one of those mysterious questions to be answered later about next year - does bomar think he knows more about being a QB than josh?

If he's that stupid, then I guess its a really good thing that we recruited Halzle(sp)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/6/2006, 12:27 PM
If he's that stupid, then I guess its a really good thing that we recruited Halzle(sp)

the understanding that you may not know everything there is to know about something you do hormone kicks in at different ages for everyone. for some reason, physical gifts tend to delay it ;)

FirstandGoal
1/6/2006, 12:33 PM
the understanding that you may not know everything there is to know about something you do hormone kicks in at different ages for everyone. for some reason, physical gifts tend to delay it ;)

*sigh*

Yeah, I have kids too

NormanPride
1/6/2006, 12:35 PM
Running wind sprints speeds it up, though. :D

I still say Stoops is enough of a hard *** to not let something like that go on.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/6/2006, 12:42 PM
see dampeer, moe

NormanPride
1/6/2006, 12:57 PM
I think Moe is a completely different story. That kid didn't want to work from the very beginning. Bomar's proven that he wants to work, and he wants to win.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/6/2006, 01:12 PM
I think Moe is a completely different story. That kid didn't want to work from the very beginning. Bomar's proven that he wants to work, and he wants to win.

my point is that bob put up with it because we were thin as crap at DT. honestly, can you say that we aren't in the same position at QB? i mean we laughed at the horns not taking QB over the last several years, but their strategy has paid off a lot better than ours has. they got other players that are still there, we got kids who transferred at the first sign of coming in on the wrong side of competition...

soonerboy_odanorth
1/6/2006, 01:30 PM
my point is that bob put up with it because we were thin as crap at DT. honestly, can you say that we aren't in the same position at QB? i mean we laughed at the horns not taking QB over the last several years, but their strategy has paid off a lot better than ours has. they got other players that are still there, we got kids who transferred at the first sign of coming in on the wrong side of competition...

One o these days, jkm...

So I'm still trying to hunt you down regarding that ugly "t" word you mention here. You had lightly offered in another thread a little while ago that we were due to see 3 to 4 more underclass OL guys (I believe you specifically singled out Schat & Cooper) depart this spring...

What's the scoop, poop? Cut us in on the hubub.. bub... :D

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/6/2006, 01:46 PM
that's part of my cautious optimism on the OL. ;)

schacht was gone for the entire fall, but apparently was reinstated for the bowl game. haven't heard why or if he'll even ever make it past rayl status. along the same lines, we might have brandon keith back at semester as well.

the guys that were rumored to transfer were cooper and robinson. as cooper's PT went up i guess he changed his mind. robinson is still a ?

the other one was white who has hip issues, its unclear as to whether he is going to be a medical or continue to play.

quinn's mysterious lack of playing time even though the starters had broken hands is a cause for concern, but to this point there isn't much smoke of a transfer.

another point to be made is that the coaches are about to become hard as crap on transfers with these knew knight rules especially with us taking this many jucos this year. i wouldn't be surprised if they start refusing to let players out of their scholarships because they run the risk that they may not get that scholarship back. i'm not sure how much of that came into play here, but i think we are going to see transfers begin to dwindle especially if we take any more jucos.

Rhino
1/6/2006, 02:10 PM
quinn's mysterious lack of playing time even though the starters had broken hands is a cause for concern, but to this point there isn't much smoke of a transfer. I think he's more of a rawls/dvoracek problem.

The Consumate Showman
1/6/2006, 02:15 PM
[QUOTE=jkm, the stolen pifwafwi]that's part of my cautious optimism on the OL. ;)

schacht was gone for the entire fall, but apparently was reinstated for the bowl game. haven't heard why or if he'll even ever make it past rayl status. along the same lines, we might have brandon keith back at semester as well.

the guys that were rumored to transfer were cooper and robinson. as cooper's PT went up i guess he changed his mind. robinson is still a ?[QUOTE]

Are you talking about Duke Robinson? Why is he thinking abot transferring? I've got to believe he'll play next season. He is a physical specimen and can block, too. How can Kevin Wilson let him slip away??? My God!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/6/2006, 02:18 PM
because he's a tweener?

The Consumate Showman
1/6/2006, 02:22 PM
because he's a tweener?

Man, I just think he could be a good OT....a tweener between a OT and OG??

william_brasky
1/6/2006, 02:23 PM
i mean we laughed at the horns not taking QB over the last several years, but their strategy has paid off a lot better than ours has.

VY is a freakin' aberration. If he leaves they'll lose 2-4 games next year.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/6/2006, 02:47 PM
VY is a freakin' aberration. If he leaves they'll lose 2-4 games next year.

oh yeah, especially in the injury arena. that is one of the reasons that if i were him, i wouldn't roll the dice for another year.

OUstudent4life
1/6/2006, 02:51 PM
One of those billion ankle tackles on him is eventually going to cause some damage.

The Consumate Showman
1/6/2006, 03:04 PM
One of those billion ankle tackles on him is eventually going to cause some damage.

Yeah, he'll eventually get lit up by some crazy college guy wanting to make a statement about how good he is....Derrick Strait did it to him his freshman year at the RRS when VY fumbled at the 1 yd line.....VY needs to take the money now while it's at a high level....

Scott D
1/6/2006, 06:30 PM
I've got a new theory on the offensive line, and it doesn't involve blaming Schmidt, then again, it's also based upon info I got from someone who was an offensive lineman back when coaches were really allowed to 'abuse' their players.

It'd be great to get to the start of the season next year without any defections, however that's not a certainty for any program.