PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Own an IN-GROUND POOL?

Pieces Hit
1/6/2006, 09:29 AM
Wife wants one.

She cain't ride a horse no more because of degenerative disks in her back so we is gonna sell house and acreage next year and build a house w/ a pool so she can kick her legs and hopefully not get skin cancer.

Thinking this thing must be heated.
?

Advice and experience appreciated.

Jerk
1/6/2006, 09:33 AM
Yes, if you have a lab or a GSD, they will LOVE it.

Okla-homey
1/6/2006, 09:34 AM
Wife wants one.

She cain't ride a horse no more because of degenerative disks in her back so we is gonna sell house and acreage next year and build a house w/ a pool so she can kick her legs and hopefully not get skin cancer.

Thinking this thing must be heated.
?

Advice and experience appreciated.

I had one in Montgomery AL. Royal pain in the arse. Expensive chemicals, keeping it clean and balanced, bugs, toads, snakes fall in, high water bills, etc.

My advice? Get a hot tub. Therapeutic and sexy.

Jimminy Crimson
1/6/2006, 12:43 PM
It might be less of a headache/expense to buy a house with a pool already installed.

That being said, the new salt water pools are supposed to be pretty cool. A bit more expensive initially, but cheaper than chemicals long run.

Thats all I got.

Oh yeah, pool party at PH's house! :D

oumartin
1/6/2006, 12:46 PM
I'd take Homey's advice!

Pieces Hit
1/6/2006, 12:53 PM
Well, if I went with the hot tub she might bust her head coming off the diving board.

She wants a dang pool.

I'm thinking it's about even between building a house and pool or buying a house with pool...

If I built at least I would get what I wanted. Maybe.

Widescreen
1/6/2006, 01:03 PM
Surprised jk hasn't chimed in.

jk the sooner fan
1/6/2006, 01:26 PM
Surprised jk hasn't chimed in.

sorry, i've been at the VA med ctr in south dallas most the morning

yes, i have one.....LOVE LOVE LOVE it

costly? yeah, it does drain a bit of money out of the checkbook

i'm sure one day i'll grow tired of it, but i dont see that day coming anytime soon

i pay a pool service 49 bucks a month to do the chemicals, and from discussions i've had with other friends who have pools, this is about equal to what you'd shell out over monthly over a year (much more than 49 in the summer, but much less in the winter)

heating an entire pool is BIG $$$$.......heating a hottub attached, not quite as much

1stTimeCaller
1/6/2006, 01:28 PM
the one we had when I was growing up wasn't heated but the solar blanket we used kept the temp where we wanted it during the spring and summer

jk the sooner fan
1/6/2006, 01:31 PM
solar blanket...hmmm.....we might be swimming in march if i can find one of those......

1stTimeCaller
1/6/2006, 01:32 PM
http://www.poolproducts.com/-p-solarblankets.htm?GEN5=ADWORDS&gclid=CJD0yOrNtoICFQIGSAodnHKtDA

jk the sooner fan
1/6/2006, 01:38 PM
hmm, those are reasonably priced
thanks....

Pieces Hit
1/6/2006, 01:42 PM
So perhaps a heated pool WITH this solar blanket would be affordable?
It would keep the heat in, I presume.

VeeJay
1/6/2006, 01:43 PM
Money pit.

My next house will not have one.

Mjcpr
1/6/2006, 01:43 PM
So perhaps a heated pool WITH this solar blanket would be affordable?
It would keep the heat in, I presume.

Where do you live?

jk the sooner fan
1/6/2006, 01:44 PM
where do you live? if you live in texas or oklahoma, you wont need a heated pool unless you ABSOLUTELY need it for swimming between october and april

right now the water temp in my pool is around 60....it dropped down to 50 when we had our freeze......anything below 80 is **** shrinking temperature

during the summer, the temp is between 80 and 90 and feels great

i would think if you had a decent hot tub for the winter, that would be enough

the solar blanket floats on the water and helps bring the temp up from the winter months

Pieces Hit
1/6/2006, 01:46 PM
Tulsa, and wife has dream of using it as year round as possible.
I spose a pool salesman will sort this out, right...

jk the sooner fan
1/6/2006, 01:51 PM
yeah a salesman would

a heated pool during a tulsa winter = BIG BUCKS for your electric company

devOUt
1/6/2006, 01:53 PM
I agree with Okla-homey. We had a pool for about 15 years. I had it taken out last year and replaced it with a hot tub. No regrets here.

Sooner in Tampa
1/6/2006, 01:57 PM
We have one...but so does everybody else in Fla. The chemicals do cost a little, but if you are diligent and keep up with balance of the water, that will help.

I have kids so of course we love it...at least for the first 3 months of summer. My kids are usually tired of it by May or June.

I am really on the fence as to wether or not I would do it again. In the summer months it is AWSOME...it the winter, not so much.

jk the sooner fan
1/6/2006, 02:05 PM
i have a polaris pool sweep, so its "self cleaning".....the only thing i do is put the DME powder in once a month, and do the backwash

i spend a few minutes a day getting leaves or whatever crap is in the filter basket out

its not been a big pain this winter

1stTimeCaller
1/6/2006, 02:06 PM
we just put a cover over ours at the end of the swimming season and didn't mess with it until it was warm enough to start swimming.

C&CDean
1/6/2006, 02:31 PM
Chemicals? Heaters? Blankets?

We swim in our pond/s. Other than the occasional case of cholera or dysentary from cattle dung, and those pesky inner ear infections, it rocks.

Jerk
1/6/2006, 02:37 PM
Chemicals? Heaters? Blankets?

We swim in our pond/s. Other than the occasional case of cholera or dysentary from cattle dung, and those pesky inner ear infections, it rocks.

Have you evar had a snapping turtle bite your pecker?

IT HURTS!

TopDawg
1/6/2006, 02:40 PM
What should I do? Throw the ball back to Jimmy? Or put some goggles on and look at his feet?

Taxman71
1/6/2006, 02:45 PM
Have you evar had a snapping turtle bite your pecker?

IT HURTS!

I'm sure the nibblin' sunfish make up for that.

C&CDean
1/6/2006, 02:54 PM
I'm sure the nibblin' sunfish make up for that.

Sunfish? Dude, many a largemouth bass broke a jaw on homey.

boomersooner28
1/6/2006, 03:02 PM
Underground pool = very expensive

and they do not add a lot of value to your property, which is something to consider also.

GottaHavePride
1/6/2006, 04:23 PM
Well, if I went with the hot tub she might bust her head coming off the diving board.

She wants a dang pool.

I'm thinking it's about even between building a house and pool or buying a house with pool...

If I built at least I would get what I wanted. Maybe.

If she likes diving, too, you'll probably want to build your own. Most of the time you look at a house with one already installed and you wind up wishing it was 3 feet longer and 2 feet deeper.

Okla-homey
1/6/2006, 04:27 PM
Underground pool = very expensive

and they do not add a lot of value to your property, which is something to consider also.

Those underground pools make getting a tan a challenge.

just saying.;)

Mjcpr
1/6/2006, 04:29 PM
you wind up wishing it was 3 feet longer and 2 feet deeper.

Chicks, man.

jk the sooner fan
1/6/2006, 04:30 PM
a real hillbilly would put an above ground pool in the backyard......

Okla-homey
1/6/2006, 04:31 PM
Sunfish? Dude, many a largemouth bass broke a jaw on homey.

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/3185/okienoodlingdvd2oh.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Cam
1/6/2006, 08:04 PM
pain in the arse and you will not come close to getting the cost of it back when you sell.

1/6/2006, 09:02 PM
Inground pools are called an "attractive nuisance" by those in the real estate racket. Some families will see them and automatically cross that house off the list, while others will consider them a major selling point.

And Cam is correct... you won't get your money back when/if you sell. Seems the pool is often left off the list of amenities, at least in our part of the country.

When we were first married, we looked at a house in Newcastle that had a filled-in inground pool. It wouldn't have been so noticeable if not for the half-buried pool ladders and water slide sticking up through the grass in the back yard.

I only wish I was kidding.

Al Gore
1/6/2006, 09:05 PM
We have one that is heated and hired a "poolboy" to clean it.....we love it....next is a hot tub......

1/6/2006, 09:08 PM
Link?

No, wait... never mind.

Al Gore
1/6/2006, 09:11 PM
Link?

No, wait... never mind.Of the poolboy?????

1/6/2006, 09:13 PM
Hell, I figured you had a DVD available.

And no, not JUST the pool boy. Tell me 2/3 of the regulars on here didn't hear the boom chicka boom BOW bow boom-a-chick when you posted.

And really, I'm not trying to pick on you. Let's just say your exhibitionist lifestyle is a bit out of the norm. You can certainly agree to that, right?

Al Gore
1/6/2006, 09:25 PM
Sorry......removed the pic.......

1/6/2006, 09:30 PM
boom chicka boom BOW bow boom-a-chick

Al Gore
1/6/2006, 09:35 PM
Sorry everyone.....I didn't have one of a pool boy....

trwxxa
1/6/2006, 09:36 PM
We purchased a house that already had a pool.The wife loves it and uses it much more than I do. Sure is great for me to jump in after doing the yard work.

I would say I spent about $150 this year for chemicals and DE for the filter. I spend about 10 minutes a day cleaning leaves etc. I spend about 15 minutes once a week testing the water and adding whatever is needed. Once the water is balanced, it is almost on auto-pilot. I have a Phantom cleaner, which cleans both the floor and the surface.

We have a heater, but do not use it much. Early spring or in the fall. Even in Houston, the water temperature in the winter will get to 50 or below. A new heater will probably be gas, which is still no bargain with todays energy prices.

You will have a hard time finding anyone to put in a diving board. Too much liability.

Most real estate agents will tell you a pool will add about $10k to the price of a home for resale. If you choose to buy a home that already has a pool, get the used home warranty with the pool option. We had to replace the pump this summer and it only cost us the $55 service call.

Al Gore
1/6/2006, 09:45 PM
We have a heater and it allows us to use it from the beginning of May to the end of September......

Al Gore
1/6/2006, 10:07 PM
Any advice on a hot tub?

trwxxa
1/6/2006, 10:16 PM
Pool only, no hot tub.

Al Gore
1/6/2006, 10:31 PM
A little help????

bigdsooner
1/6/2006, 10:53 PM
dammit, im lookin for a house with a pool right now. im LAZY enuff as it is, i dont want more work....but i really want a pool. F**K!!!

Al Gore
1/6/2006, 11:06 PM
Get one with an inside toilet......

Flagstaffsooner
1/8/2006, 08:15 AM
Get one with an inside toilet......
http://incolor-inc.com/images/Pool_Sign_Dont_Pee.jpg

BajaOklahoma
1/8/2006, 10:44 AM
Indoor pool. I've seen a couple that I like.
I like the ones with French doors or sliding glass doors along the sides - can open them up on nice days. I don't like the ones with garage doors - they aren't energy efficient and are very drafty.
If you have it attached directly to the house, you have to have some sort of passageway to it with doors at both ends. Unless you like the smell of chlorine in the rest of your house.