PDA

View Full Version : Have we gone soft?

NickZeppelin
1/5/2006, 11:24 PM
I was listening to the Al on the Sports Animal tonight. He talked about how at his place 3/4ths of the place was rooting for Texas, and then I read on OUInsider that "97%" were going for Texas at OCConnels.

HAVE WE REACHED SOME CORNER OF HELL?????

Tell me you as an OU fan weren't rooting for Texas. I can't imagine that happening. HOW THE HELL CAN ANYONE ROOT FOR TEXAS AS A SOONER FAN?

Do you think Horns were rooting for us in the OB against USC or the year before against LSU?

HELL NO THEY WEREN'T!

You do not root for the team that's your main rival that you are recruiting against. I can gaurentee you not one Texas Aggie fan was rooting for Texas.

Just like there wasn't a single UCLA or Cal fan rooting for USC there shouldn't be a single Sooner fan rooting for Texas. There's no good reason for it. I don't care if USC was 13 games from a 60 year old streak. Or that USC has all these stuck up actors rooting for them and an entire network.

It's gonna hurt OU that Texas won. Maybe not this year because recruiting is wrapped up. But when Texas is getting Rhett Bomar's, Adrian Peterson's, Malcom Kelly's, and Tommie Harris' we'll realize how much it hurts then. We won't get many top 10 or 20 guys from Texas for a while. Not till Stoops can prove again that he can win the big game which he hasn't done the last few years.

Any Sooner in their right mind isn't rooting for Texas. I'm sure Texas fans are chuckling at it because we're basically saying, "Hey you can keep all the players in your state, we won't be too ****ed."

yermom
1/5/2006, 11:26 PM
you should hang out with :dolemite:

seriously.

silverwheels
1/5/2006, 11:29 PM
I'll tell you what: I'll root for whoever the hell I want and no one is going to tell me otherwise. How does that sound?

Rhino
1/5/2006, 11:30 PM
I think I've seen this thread (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59209) before. And you posted in it.

I can gaurentee you not one Texas Aggie fan was rooting for Texas. You lose.

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/8389/gigemhorns5wb.jpg

yermom
1/5/2006, 11:33 PM
people root strangely... at the Orange Bowl a Notre Dame fan sat in front of me and he was rooting for USC because he graduated from Washington :confused:

i know the last two years i have seen more than one Texas fan at least say he was rooting for us in the NC game

sanantoniosooner
1/5/2006, 11:35 PM
Hey Nick.........I live around aggies and horns and you are wrong about who will root for who, when.

Why don't you stick to recruiting talk. It's your specialty.

yermom
1/5/2006, 11:35 PM
btw... this is getting old... i'll bet no one is wellwishing Texas now, or for a while

this was a pretty special case

NickZeppelin
1/5/2006, 11:36 PM
Watch Texas get 8 or 9 of the top 10 kids in Texas next year. I bet they end up with around 25 of the top 35 in that state. Maybe even 25 of the top 30. When we look back a few years from now we'll see how bad a win this was for us.

OklahomaTrombone
1/5/2006, 11:37 PM
Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Octavian
1/5/2006, 11:40 PM
Watch Texas get 8 or 9 of the top 10 kids in Texas next year. I bet they end up with around 25 of the top 35 in that state. Maybe even 25 of the top 30. When we look back a few years from now we'll see how bad a win this was for us.

:rolleyes:

Nick, my man, this place just wouldn't be the same without ya

FirstandGoal
Is there not seriously something we can do to keep Nick from starting new threads?

FirstandGoal
Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

heh

Collier11
1/5/2006, 11:41 PM

they can only get 25 recruits total, are they all coming from texas??

silverwheels
1/5/2006, 11:41 PM
Let's take a little look at recent history, shall we, Nick?

2000 - Oklahoma wins National Title. Some Texas fans **** their pants. Most know that they'll continue to recruit well.

2003 - Oklahoma steamrolls Texas for the 2nd time in 4 years and makes it to the National Championship again. Some Texas fans **** their pants. Most know that they'll continue to recruit well.

2004 - Oklahoma shuts out Texas, but the game is relatively close. OU then goes to the National Championship, but Texas manages to get into the BCS as well.

2005 - Texas wins National Title, just 5 years after we did. Some OU fans (you) **** their pants. Most know (I hope) that we'll continue to recruit well.

It's not the end of the world. Stop being an idiot about it.

sanantoniosooner
1/5/2006, 11:42 PM
they pretty much do that anyway.

What planet are you from?

Collier11
1/5/2006, 11:43 PM
be careful with that "idiot word" silver wheels, I got zapped for it yesterday...but great point, both of them!

Duke o Brewery
1/5/2006, 11:44 PM
The OU coaching staff seems to get it. The guys on the Sports Animal have reported that every Sooner coach they spoke too off the record wanted USC to beat texas.

Last night's game ushured in a dark time for the Oklahoma Sooners.

Collier11
1/5/2006, 11:45 PM
huh???

sanantoniosooner
1/5/2006, 11:47 PM
I'm glad I don't walk around with that attitude.

Duke o Brewery
1/5/2006, 11:48 PM
Do I stutter? Stoops and his coaches were hoping texas would lose.

Collier11
1/5/2006, 11:49 PM
that doesnt even make sense?? why would texas winning one natl title in the same time span that we have won 4 I believe and played for several be a dark era for us??

mikeelikee
1/5/2006, 11:50 PM
Nick--may I recommend lithium? Jeez, man, get a grip! :(

Octavian
1/5/2006, 11:50 PM
The OU coaching staff seems to get it. The guys on the Sports Animal have reported that every Sooner coach they spoke too off the record wanted USC to beat texas.

Nick, you're not alone. Apparently others are buying into the doomsday scenario...and "the guys on the Sports Animal" report a lot of things. The program under Bob Stoops is gonna be just fine. This is pointless.

Collier11
1/5/2006, 11:51 PM

Oh, ok I got ya, so you uh....talked to coach stoops personally, right? And even if this is true, why does it create a "dark era" for us just cus the team coach stoops wanted to win ended up losing? I think you found this frame of mind in a dark era

goingoneight
I was in San Antonio while OU was playing LSU, and in Dallas as OU was being swept by USC and the horn fans had no objections to rooting for us. There were some UT fans at OU/UO Holiday Bowl, too. Granted they were playing in California, too... I saw them cheering when OU sealed the deal. Most whorn fans aren't as bad as you think. Now the drunken, student-types at the RRS bitchin'-- "56-39, University of Texas at Norman, hur, hur!" Those whorn-lovers are so funny to watch walking out after the third quarter.
Personally, when anyone who plays OU does good... I believe it makes OU look good.
Say UT lost every game from 2000-2004, what bowls do you think we would have gone to if they looked terrible?
OU beats Texas + Texas wins out in conference = OU gets brownie points for 'big win."
OU beats Texas + Texas sucks = polls view OU's opponents as weak competition = OU plays for BCS toilet bowl game.
UT beats OU + UT goes onto win MNC = sucks for sooner fans = Saves OU's bacon from being looked at as a choker = no toilet bowl game.
UT beats OU + Texas sucks = bad, all around... Sooners get screwed in bowl selection, get snubbed for BIG 12 title, get laughed at, UIT fans rejoice = sucks for OU fans.

There are some who hate UT with the fire of 1000 suns, but I've found far more whorn-lovers who pull for OU then that of Aggies and Faggies. Yes, I view OU/TX as a rival game, and I wish OU the better share of the glory... and rooting for a UT MNC was an extremely rare occasion this year... But I had no objection to UT winning, as long as they win like they did in 2000-2004.

Rhino
I can see Nick at his computer shaking, stressing out that we won't get the next Marcus Johnson or Tony Cade.

sanantoniosooner
1/5/2006, 11:52 PM
you said it's a dark time for Oklahoma.

I don't agree.

Did I stutter?

Collier11
1/5/2006, 11:52 PM
It gets kinda hot in these rhinos!!

Jimminy Crimson
1/5/2006, 11:53 PM
THIS IS A FAMILY BOARD!

TAKE IT TO THE ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION FORUM!!?!?!?!!!!!11!

sanantoniosooner
1/5/2006, 11:54 PM
Somebodies cranium is soft.........but I ain't say'n who........

Duke o Brewery
1/5/2006, 11:58 PM
Look sanantonio I respect your opinions. I just don't share them. Also, the stutter retort was directed at the brilliant wit who wrote "huh?", it wasn't directed at you. And by "dark time" I'm being a bit dramatic, yes, but it's obvious that, good or bad, I'm more intensely fervent about the OU/UT rivalry than you are. I wish all Sooners shared my passionate hatred of the republic of texas and all they stand for, but I'm not going to insult you if you don't feel the same way.

birddog
1/5/2006, 11:58 PM
...next thing you know, SMU will be out-recruiting us:eek: . Seriously, there are limits on recruits. We all know this, yes?. So there are only 25 good players in Texas? Well, we're screwed. Anyone want to add to the list of recruits we've gotten along the lines of Q, Derrick Strait, Brandon Everage etc. For all you recruiting experts remember this, we WILL continue to get studs from all over the country, not just Texass. And we have arguably the best coaching staff in the country who will continue to develop these players to compete for National Championships whether Texass won their 1st NC in 30 something years or not. We're NOT going downhill as a program because of this.:D

goingoneight
1/6/2006, 12:00 AM
Hmmm, John Blake hosts the worst OU teams ever assembled throughout the nineties + Texas wins heisman trophy for much celebrated "return to glory" player Ricky Williams (should = ) disaster for OU tradition.

Rather, Bob Stoops is hired, OU visits 3 National Championships winning one only two years after OU's program was shot dead. OU wins a heisman trophy to Jason White's honor, gets great recruits like Adrian Peterson, Rhett Bomar, etc. We will be fine, dude. Nick, you remind me of that Tweek kid on South Park.

If it ever gets to UT out-performing OU's history... as if they could... then yeah, die horns! DIE!!! (figuratively speaking)

FirstandGoal
1/6/2006, 12:01 AM

Well, for the record I wanted texass to lose too, but do I think it is the beginning of the end? Not even close. Will it hurt us? Maybe, but not worse than what we did to ourselves in the beginning of the season anyway.
Anyone who has been a fan for awhile will realize that these things fluctuate.
If we can recover from the abomination of the 90's, we can recover from dang near about anything.

Collier11
Look sanantonio I respect your opinions. I just don't share them. Also, the stutter retort was directed at the brilliant wit who wrote "huh?", it wasn't directed at you. And by "dark time" I'm being a bit dramatic, yes, but it's obvious that, good or bad, I'm a lot more passionate about the OU/UT rivalry than you are. I wish all Sooners shared my passionate hatred of the republic of texas and all they stand for, but I'm not going to insult you because you don't.

I wrote "huh" because the point of your opinion wasnt even relevant, trust me I hate texas just as much as you and im sure that most of these guys do to, but them winning a national title is not gonna push us back to the blake days, we will be ok, just breathe!

sanantoniosooner
Look sanantonio I respect your opinions. I just don't share them. Also, the stutter retort was directed at the brilliant wit who wrote "huh?", it wasn't directed at you. And by "dark time" I'm being a bit dramatic, yes, but it's obvious that, good or bad, I'm a lot more passionate about the OU/UT rivalry than you are. I wish all Sooners shared my passionate hatred of the republic of texas and all they stand for, but I'm not going to insult you because you don't.
the cranium remark was directed elsewhere.

You aren't more passionate about the rivalry than I am just because you hate them more. I am HUGE on the rivalry.

It sounds like you hate UT more than you love OU.

Duke o Brewery
1/6/2006, 12:02 AM
Oh, ok I got ya, so you uh....talked to coach stoops personally, right? And even if this is true, why does it create a "dark era" for us just cus the team coach stoops wanted to win ended up losing? I think you found this frame of mind in a dark era

No, collier11, I said that Eschbach, Traber, and Jack Mildren talked to coach Stoops personally. Take it for what it's worth.

PrideTrombone
1/6/2006, 12:02 AM
I went to the University of Oklahoma, not the University of I-Hate-Texas.

Collier11
1/6/2006, 12:03 AM
and futher, texas has been the hot-bed of recruiting forever and weve still managed 7natl titles to their 2, I think life will go on as expected in Soonerland!

silverwheels
1/6/2006, 12:04 AM

Bingo! Yahtzee!

I think that sentence applies to quite a few posters on here.

Collier11
1/6/2006, 12:04 AM
No, collier11, I said that Eschbach, Traber, and Jack Mildren talked to coach Stoops personally. Take it for what it's worth.

dude, I understand. Im not doubting this, im just saying that it really doesnt matter because Ou will keep winning as usual. Its not a big deal, no one is calling you out, I just dont agree with your assesment!

Duke o Brewery
1/6/2006, 12:08 AM
the cranium remark was directed elsewhere.

You aren't more passionate about the rivalry than I am just because you hate them more. I am HUGE on the rivalry.

I don't hate them more than I love OU, instead it's the more I love OU that strengthens my hatred of our most bitter rival. I've posted this earlier, but I'll say it again. IMO, the Red River Rivalry is first and foremost based on mutual hatred between the average people of the two states. It is the stereotypical loudmouthed texan arrogance, selfishness, and lack of personal honor that fuels the hatred of Sooner fans. And Ut, more than any other TX state college, embodies this overpowering, repulsive superiority complex of texans. All the championships, high rankings and great athletes of the two schools are just the icing on top of the big cake.

From my point of view as a born and raised Oklahoman this is what the rivalry is all about. It's about one humble state chafing under the bloated, baseless arrogance of another and doing it's utmost to stand up to that arrogance and keep it in check through means of one of the most simple, yet mutually appreciated and cherished of traditions: The very best football team we can put together against the best they can muster.

At least IMHO, this rivalry goes beyond conference loyalty, beyond national public opinion, beyond the football field and beyond comparison when it comes to hate, or at least I once thought it did.

sanantoniosooner
1/6/2006, 12:13 AM
I was born and raised in Oklahoma. Lived there for my first 30+ years.

Was at OU in the late 80's. I got a 'feel' feel for the rivalry from that perspective and from living amoung the enemy.

I'm not sure why my life exerience rates lower than those that are bitter individuals.

Duke o Brewery
1/6/2006, 12:15 AM

Was at OU in the late 80's. I got a 'feel' feel for the rivalry from that perspective and from living amoung the enemy.

I'm not sure why my life exerience rates lower than those that are bitter individuals.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not belittling you, your opinions, or your experience. I'm just elaborating on my personal views of what the rivalry is about.

Collier11
1/6/2006, 12:18 AM
Honest question DUKE?? Are you in the frame of mind that our success hinges on texas' failures and our failures hinges on texas' success or do you just hate Texas so much that anytime they do something good(for them, not in general) it makes you feel that bad inside? IM just askin, this isnt a question to make fun of you or anything, I really want to know!

FirstandGoal
1/6/2006, 12:19 AM

It seems to be a generational thing.
SAS, you and I are about the same age and can appreciate some of the 70's, the 80's and the unmentionable 90's, and then look back on all of that and realize that this year is but a small blip on the radar. All these guys know is the resurgence of the program in the last few years and they go into "panic mode" over a 8-4 season

sanantoniosooner
1/6/2006, 12:21 AM
What I can see is that OU used some awesome UT teams as a stepping stone the last few years.

UT caught OU with the perfect set of circumstances for this run.

It wont always be that way.

Collier11
1/6/2006, 12:22 AM
SAS, you and I are about the same age and can appreciate some of the 70's, the 80's and the unmentionable 90's, and then look back on all of that and realize that this year is but a small blip on the radar. All these guys know is the resurgence of the program in the last few years and they go into "panic mode" over a 8-4 season

Im from the new-blood generation(24 yrs old) but I can honestly say that I was a season ticket holder during the blake years and went to a few games during schnellys days, I choose to look at this season as a few plays and a little more experience from being 11-1. I truly can appreciate Coach Stoops and even a 8-4 season cus watching coach blakes team in person was embarrassing at times.

sanantoniosooner
1/6/2006, 12:25 AM
what are the odds Nick would have sported a "Bury Barry" bumpersticker on his tricycle?

FirstandGoal
1/6/2006, 12:29 AM
what are the odds Nick would have sported a "Bury Barry" bumpersticker on his tricycle?

Double heh!!

Duke o Brewery
1/6/2006, 12:35 AM
Honest question DUKE?? Are you in the frame of mind that our success hinges on texas' failures and our failures hinges on texas' success or do you just hate Texas so much that anytime they do something good(for them, not in general) it makes you feel that bad inside? IM just askin, this isnt a question to make fun of you or anything, I really want to know!

Those are very valid questions.

I'd have to say that it's a combination of both. I don't Ever like to see the longhorns succeed at anything, period. They represent the worst sort of character in the state of texas and sterotypical texans have proven throughout history to be the worst kind of arrogant a$$holes. I also view that when it comes to football, more than any other sport or endeavor, texas' success and failure is strongly tied to OU success and failure. Throughout most of the last century there has been a trend that OU is only at it's best, i.e. winning national championships, when texas is being held down and texas seems to win by doing the same to us. I could elaborate on that a lot and make this response way to long, but for now I won't.

sanantoniosooner
1/6/2006, 12:37 AM
UT has had one it's most successful stretches since Mack arrived and OU has done just fine in the midst of it. It seems they need us to stumble more than we need them to stumble.

Blue
1/6/2006, 12:38 AM
I was talking to a huge Alabama fan today (My boss) and he said he was trying to put himself in our shoes (OU fans) during the game. If it were Auburn and USC going for a 3-pete and the streak this year. He said he didn't know what he would've done.

So I think you're living in a dreamworld thinking every Ala and Auburn fan wouldn't do what some of the Sooners chose to do.

Hell, some Bama fans I've met were like, "My favorite team is Bama. My 2nd favorite is Florida. Next I like LSU. But I hate AWburn!"

I mean what kind of **** is that?

Duke o Brewery
1/6/2006, 12:44 AM

I'm not sure if it's a generational thing or not. I'm not panicing over the 4 loss season because I've followed OU since '88 (when I was 7), and I unfortunately witnessed firsthand most of the home games during the blake era. I've seen us at our lowest being crushed by texas by 30, Neb by about 60 and losing to tulsa. I appreciate where we're at, it's just that I also appreciate where the 'horns are at right now, and where they are is in a good position to beat us for a few more years in a row especially if vy comes back next season. I definately hope we can keep it from happening.

Collier11
1/6/2006, 12:47 AM
Mack Brown hopes he can beat OU, OU knows they can beat Texas...Mack looked constipated and up-tight lastnite again, thank God he had Vince

Texas Golfer
1/6/2006, 01:39 AM

Don't you ever get tired of singing that same old whiney song?

Texas Golfer
1/6/2006, 01:42 AM

I heard just the opposite.

Texas Golfer
1/6/2006, 01:48 AM
I'm a lot more passionate about the OU/UT rivalry than you are. I wish all Sooners shared my passionate hatred of the republic of texas and all they stand for, but I'm not going to insult you because you don't.

Come down here and live in the heart of Whorn country with OU license plate covers and OU bumper hitch covers wearing your OU hats, jackets, and shirts year round. Then you can compare your passion for the rivalry with me.

Blue
1/6/2006, 01:49 AM

Are ushure?

Had to. :D

Btw, the future is bright young buck. I look forward to 2006 and a return to the top. Also watching Vince Young playing in an half full Superdome.

rhombic21
1/6/2006, 02:09 AM
I didn't root for Texas, and I agree that it will hurt recruiting.

But some of you guys need to take a look at who we won all those games between 2000 and 2003 with, and then put things in perspective. A substantial number of them were:

A) From Oklahoma
B) From a state other than Texas
C) Were from Texas and not recruited by UT.

How many guys on that 2000 team do you think we beat UT out for?

2004 was the first year that OU outrecruited UT in Texas. We seemed to do pretty well before that.

Besides, when VY leaves for the NFL, and Texas loses 3 or 4 games next year, the luster from their NC will have worn off quite a bit. Can we at least wait until next November before declaring a recruiting crisis?

Duke o Brewery
1/6/2006, 02:33 AM
Come down here and live in the heart of Whorn country with OU license plate covers and OU bumper hitch covers wearing your OU hats, jackets, and shirts year round. Then you can compare your passion for the rivalry with me.

Golfer, I honestly respect your devotion and support of OU, but for good or bad I just don't have what it takes to cheer on our arch-rivals to a national title and you do. When it comes to Sooner football thats just where we differ.

Duke o Brewery
1/6/2006, 02:36 AM
I look forward to 2006 and a return to the top. Also watching Vince Young playing in an half full Superdome.

Well said, Blue. I would love to see both of those happen as well.

GO ON VINCE! BIG MONEY WON'T WAIT FOREVER! OPPORTUNITY KNOCKS!

Duke o Brewery
1/6/2006, 03:37 AM
Whoever negspekked me should have the intestinal fortitude to step out of their anonymity and discuss this issue like an adult rather than negging and hiding just because you don't agree with my opinions.

Blue
1/6/2006, 03:42 AM
Damn. Weren't you green? Somebody gotta hammer.

Duke o Brewery
1/6/2006, 03:44 AM
I know, man. Dropped me over 9000 points! Geezuz!

Blue
1/6/2006, 03:46 AM
That didn't help? Damn.

Blue
1/6/2006, 03:49 AM
There we go.

Duke o Brewery
1/6/2006, 03:54 AM
Thanks Blue. You're the man, my friend. Much spek!

Blue
1/6/2006, 03:57 AM
Thanks Blue. You're the man, my friend. Much spek!

Now repeat after me, "ut will suck next year, OU will own all..., ut will suck next year, OU will own all..." and repeat.

Duke o Brewery
1/6/2006, 04:02 AM
*chanting....repeating..." .....yes, OU will own all......

Blue
1/6/2006, 04:08 AM
*chanting....repeating..." .....yes, OU will own all......

Yees....Yeeesss! MuuuHahaha! Mahahaha!

http://www.ceat.okstate.edu/people/images/Dr%20evil%202.jpg

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/6/2006, 05:22 AM
:mack:

Last night's game ushured in a dark time for the Oklahoma Sooners.If that is true, it's a big surprise to me. The streak, ya know.

Harry Beanbag
1/6/2006, 07:04 AM
I don't hate them more than I love OU, instead it's the more I love OU that strengthens my hatred of our most bitter rival. I've posted this earlier, but I'll say it again. IMO, the Red River Rivalry is first and foremost based on mutual hatred between the average people of the two states. It is the stereotypical loudmouthed texan arrogance, selfishness, and lack of personal honor that fuels the hatred of Sooner fans. And Ut, more than any other TX state college, embodies this overpowering, repulsive superiority complex of texans. All the championships, high rankings and great athletes of the two schools are just the icing on top of the big cake.

From my point of view as a born and raised Oklahoman this is what the rivalry is all about. It's about one humble state chafing under the bloated, baseless arrogance of another and doing it's utmost to stand up to that arrogance and keep it in check through means of one of the most simple, yet mutually appreciated and cherished of traditions: The very best football team we can put together against the best they can muster.

At least IMHO, this rivalry goes beyond conference loyalty, beyond national public opinion, beyond the football field and beyond comparison when it comes to hate, or at least I once thought it did.

This is an excellent post.

Scotty
12/16/2008, 03:23 AM
bump

Crucifax Autumn
12/16/2008, 03:47 AM
Oops...I thought this thread was a viagra ad.

batonrougesooner
12/16/2008, 04:23 AM
Who the hell dredges these old posts up?

I admit, I was in Dallas the night of the game and I was kind of rooting for Texas. Probably because TGWWDNSO was so fresh in my mind.

swardboy
12/16/2008, 06:51 AM
NOT being a recruiting guru, I'm going to guess that Texas' national championship had little effect on OUr recruiting...are we not in the big game three years later?

SoonerStormchaser
12/16/2008, 07:43 AM
I think that resurrecting ANY thread by Nick Zepp should be a permaban offense!

olevetonahill
12/16/2008, 07:59 AM
I think that resurrecting ANY thread by Nick Zepp should be a permaban offense!

I negged the idjit fer bumpin it .;)

yermom
12/16/2008, 09:51 AM
lots of love for Bomar in this thread :D