PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: VINCE STAYS

Jason White's Third Knee
1/5/2006, 03:32 PM
Texas' Young leaning toward dodging NFL draft

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

http://adsatt.espn.go.com/ad/sponsors/ESPN_In_House_Marketing/Dec_2005/espn-146x46-0001.gif (http://log.go.com/log?srvc=sz&guid=9688B2F7-515D-440B-BA01-52D67A089114&drop=0&addata=1332:245:218152:65&a=1&goto=http://www.mobileespn.com?campaign=mobile&source=insider_ah)

Vince Young (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=135107) hasn't studied the 2006 NFL draft nearly as much as he has the Southern California defense that he faced in the Rose Bowl on Wednesday evening.
But the University of Texas quarterback and some of the people advising him about his football future have perused the composition of the top 10 teams in the draft. And the makeup of the top 10, especially the franchises with the first five choices in April, might be enough to convince Young to return to the Longhorns for his senior season in 2006.
Young, the Heisman Trophy runner-up, indicated this week that he plans to return to school to complete his eligibility, and sources close to the Texas quarterback confirmed to ESPN.com before Wednesday's game that he is clearly leaning that way.
One reason he would return to Austin, those sources said, is the sense that, despite his enormous potential, Young might not be selected among the top five picks in the NFL lottery. Those sources spoke before Young's 467 total yard, three-touchdown performance against USC on Wednesday in Texas' 41-38 win.
Many of the teams in the top 10 of the draft order have invested heavily in quarterbacks in recent years, and they might not be ready to give up on those picks or inclined to use another high choice on the position. Of the teams in the top five, just one, the New Orleans Saints, who own the second overall pick, have a dire need at quarterback.
The New York Jets, with the No. 4 pick, are uncertain about the physical status of starter Chad Pennington, a first-round pick in 2000 who has undergone two shoulder surgeries in less than a year. But the Jets have a considerable financial investment in Pennington and likely will sign a veteran free agent as a contingency plan.
Three weeks ago, ESPN.com reported that Young and his family, working within NCAA guidelines, were determining the process by which the Texas standout would meet with potential agents and evaluate suitors seeking to represent him. Key players in the process were Houston attorney Major Adams and Young's former high school coach, Ray Seals. But the process has not moved forward much in recent weeks, primarily because it appears Young will eschew the 2006 draft.
Young has not completely decided against going into the '06 draft and could revisit the notion, sources said. Notable is that Texas coach Mack Brown has demonstrated a rare ability to keep underclass prospects from bolting early to the professional ranks. Underclass players have until Jan. 15 to petition NFL officials for inclusion in the 2006 draft.
No matter how Young performs in the Rose Bowl, he and the people counseling him feel he probably won't move ahead of Matt Leinart (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=120511), his counterpart from Southern Cal, in the eyes of NFL scouts. League talent evaluators privately harbor some doubts about Leinart, especially over his arm strength, but he is still viewed at this early stage of the draft process as the top senior quarterback prospect.
For all his athleticism and playmaking skills, some scouts say there are certain areas of Young's game (like his release point) that need work, and that he would benefit from another college season. There are, however, no guarantees Young will be the top quarterback prospect in the 2007 draft, either, given the presence of Notre Dame star Brady Quinn (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=150329).
Young, 22, ran for 200 yards and passed for 267 more against USC on Wednesday.
Senior writer Len Pasquarelli covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

Blues1
1/5/2006, 03:36 PM
Stupid is What Stupid Does --- I'm betting in a Few Days you will hear a Different Story.....

Still R'

The Consumate Showman
1/5/2006, 03:39 PM
Sean May from UNC last year.....sounded something like, "I'll be back and I'm gonna convince all these other guys to stay with me...." Uh-huh.....

Mjcpr
1/5/2006, 03:41 PM
To be fair, that article was written yesterday....for the most part. I read it yesterday at ESPN.com and I scanned it today. It's dated 1/5/06 but the only part that changed was the last line which had some of his stats from the game.

In other words, he could change his mind based on last night's performance, his rising draft stock, etc.

mdklatt
1/5/2006, 03:41 PM
But the University of Texas quarterback and some of the people advising him about his football future have perused the composition of the top 10 teams in the draft. And the makeup of the top 10, especially the franchises with the first five choices in April, might be enough to convince Young to return to the Longhorns for his senior season in 2006.

Maybe Vince is smart after all. After he doesn't meet expectations next year he'll wind up going much lower in the draft, end up on a better team, and won't have to worry about starting for a few years. :D

King Crimson
1/5/2006, 03:44 PM
Those sources spoke before Young's 467 total yard, three-touchdown performance against USC on Wednesday in Texas' 41-38 win.
]

if you can win the Heisman in TV one game (Bush (Fresno), Leinart (UCLA, 2004)--not saying they didn't deserve it)--you can get in the top 5 with last night's performance.

FirstandGoal
1/5/2006, 03:46 PM
Anybody that advises radio to come back for another year is not his friend

Tear Down This Wall
1/5/2006, 03:46 PM
We need him to stay so that when we beat 'em in October they won't whine about breaking in three new OLs and a new QB and a new secondary...blah, blah, blah. Then they'll just be howling about their new OL and secondary...like us this year :D

Thesifer
1/5/2006, 03:47 PM
Yeah that was a hastily thrown together article from a past article. Vince Young said all year that he planned to stay. But after lastnight it might be a pretty bad choice to stay. I think he would go ahead of Matt this year.

King Crimson
1/5/2006, 03:51 PM
Yeah that was a hastily thrown together article from a past article. Vince Young said all year that he planned to stay. But after lastnight it might be a pretty bad choice to stay. I think he would go ahead of Matt this year.

you are absolutely right. it's a hodge podge of quotes out of context and filler.

unfortunately, the same thing is true in most political writing in the US. i think as "citizens" we ought to recognize this type of wire feed garbage for what it is.

CNN, FOX, whoever, take your pick.

yermom
1/5/2006, 03:54 PM
if you can win the Heisman in TV one game (Bush (Fresno), Leinart (ND, 2004)--not saying they didn't deserve it)--you can get in the top 5 with last night's performance.

fixed.

he barely did anything in the UCLA game, that was the Reggie Bush show

SoonerSince72
1/5/2006, 03:55 PM
My question would be, why would Vince risk coming back and getting hurt or even better, Texas getting Trounced by OU next year and Vince having a very bad year then ending up a much lower draft choice? It would make more sense to go, get the $$$ and hope he actually makes it as a QB in the NFL rather than risking it.

Disco Stu
If he's not in the top 5 after the Rose Bowl, he'll never be there. I think he may have moved to #2.

Jason White's Third Knee
Well, I hope he comes back, so we can whip Texas with him.

yermom
1/5/2006, 03:56 PM
My question would be, why would Vince risk coming back and getting hurt or even better, Texas getting Trounced by OU next year and Vince having a very bad year then ending up a much lower draft choice? It would make more sense to go, get the $$$ and hope he actually makes it as a QB in the NFL rather than risking it.

he can always pull the Manning Maneuver

King Crimson
1/5/2006, 03:57 PM
fixed.

he barely did anything in the UCLA game, that was the Reggie Bush show

thanks. that's what i meant. i've been huffing paint thinner under a bridge all day and a little out of it. the USC-ND made for TV Heisman event.

BermudaSooner
1/5/2006, 04:05 PM

He can get an insurance policy, like Leinart did, from Lloyds. Not sure what his family situation is, but a second mortgage on his mother's home, and he then pays off the mortgage with either his signing bonus or the proceeds from the insurance policy next year. Premium would be in the range of 5-10% of the policy limit.

crawfish
1/5/2006, 04:07 PM
Houston should feel INCREDIBLE pressure to draft him. If he goes in the top 2-3, then there is no question he'd be stupid to come back.

I think he goes. He won't be any more ready next year.

soonerscuba
1/5/2006, 04:09 PM
UT will still be in Austin if he wants the degree when his career in the NFL is over. He would be a total Lienart if he chose to stay.

BASSooner
1/5/2006, 04:10 PM
this article was here days before the NC game dude.

walkoffsooner
1/5/2006, 04:50 PM
He will go #1 he is goooooon

You owe me a meal Jerry.

mrowl
1/5/2006, 05:02 PM
the title of this thread needs to be changed, first, cause this article is old, 2nd, cause the article does not say he is staying, only rumor.

soonerlaw
1/5/2006, 05:09 PM
I agree, if this last game (and this whole season really) doesn't bolt him to top 5, then nothing will.

JLB
1/5/2006, 05:19 PM
He should take the money and run.It would not do him any good to stay.
The only people that would benefit from him staying is Mack and the Texas
Football program.

NormanPride
1/5/2006, 05:26 PM
I think VY would make the Jets a pretty good team if he went there. In a couple years, they could be the new Iggles.

yermom
1/5/2006, 05:29 PM
I agree, if this last game (and this whole season really) doesn't bolt him to top 5, then nothing will.

who gets the top 5 picks?

Houston and SF don't really need a QB

the Saints? the Titans?

Jason White's Third Knee
1/5/2006, 05:32 PM
Houston should take him. They need a good receiver.

caphorns
1/5/2006, 05:35 PM
Top 3 would make sense if Vince were picked ahead of Leinart -

Texans - Bush. Casserly has manlove for Reggie. Will help take pressure of Johnson. Bush is a freak of a talent. Texans are still solid on Carr and they probably should be. Given time to throw and improved weaponry, Carr can do some damage.

Saints - Vince. Leinart doesn't bring the star power of Vince. Nobody has seen more of what a mobile QB can do to you than the Aints. He fits in the mold of the old Archie Manning legend - a dude that can make plays while running for his life. Vince also secures for the Saints a brand new fan base - Houston fans who are sick of the Texans. Hell half of the Saints fans now live in Houston.

Titans - Leinart. Reunion of Leinart with Norm Chow. Don't you know Chow is soiling himself regularly at the thought.

This stands to be one of the better (and most expensive) 1-2-3 NFL draft picks.

Widescreen
1/5/2006, 06:19 PM
some scouts say there are certain areas of Young's game (like his release point) that need work, and that he would benefit from another college season
Staying at Texas will not change VY's release point. Why would Texas try to change anything about the way he plays now??? His mechanics will not change until he goes to the NFL.

Scott D
1/5/2006, 07:02 PM
get back to me in 10 days on this subject.

TXBOOMER
1/5/2006, 07:23 PM
Generally, the teams with the first ten picks in the draft suck. If VY is waiting for a good team to be picking in the top ten he is dumber than he sounds. F texass!

StoopTroup
1/5/2006, 07:25 PM
Maybe Vince is smart after all. After he doesn't meet expectations next year he'll wind up going much lower in the draft, end up on a better team, and won't have to worry about starting....ever. :D
Fixed. :D

MojoRisen
1/5/2006, 08:54 PM
Can anyone put an analysis together for what Vince stands to make going number 123 in the draft this year- compared to 15th next year and the difference between going 123 this and lasting 4 years in the NFL or going 15th and lasting 7 years.

Just curious.

josh09
1/5/2006, 09:49 PM
hes gonna go, but if he doesnt....

BRING HIM OOOOON!!! i REALLY want another shot at him, cuz hes been gettin to cocky lately.

achiro
1/5/2006, 10:23 PM
Top 3 would make sense if Vince were picked ahead of Leinart -

Texans - Bush. Casserly has manlove for Reggie. Will help take pressure of Johnson. Bush is a freak of a talent. Texans are still solid on Carr and they probably should be. Given time to throw and improved weaponry, Carr can do some damage.

Saints - Vince. Leinart doesn't bring the star power of Vince. Nobody has seen more of what a mobile QB can do to you than the Aints. He fits in the mold of the old Archie Manning legend - a dude that can make plays while running for his life. Vince also secures for the Saints a brand new fan base - Houston fans who are sick of the Texans. Hell half of the Saints fans now live in Houston.

Titans - Leinart. Reunion of Leinart with Norm Chow. Don't you know Chow is soiling himself regularly at the thought.

This stands to be one of the better (and most expensive) 1-2-3 NFL draft picks.
Doesn't this whole "analysis" go out the window depending on the new coaches at Houston and NO and their style of coaching/offense?

sooneron
1/5/2006, 10:34 PM
What about him going to Tenn? He and McNair are buds and McNair's entering the twilight.
I know it also makes sense for the texans to trade Carr, They could plug Vince in and he can run for his life with their hemmoragic Oline until it matures with the picks that they got for Carr...
N'awlins makes the most sense, however.

JLB
1/5/2006, 10:36 PM
Really,I hope the pseudo quarterback stays for his senior year.Vince didn't really light it up against us.That long run by Charles and a couple of busted plays and the score would have been different.Not to mention AD was hurt,and a worm at QB.
Our Defense is set up to stop running QB's.And I want to see the number 1 team fall to the Sooners next year,and propel us,full of confidence into the Big 12 title game.

sooneron
1/5/2006, 10:39 PM
Really,I hope the pseudo quarterback stays for his senior year.Vince didn't really light it up against us.That long run by Charles and a couple of busted plays and the score would have been different.Not to mention AD was hurt,and a worm at QB.
Our Defense is set up to stop running QB's.And I want to see the number 1 team fall to the Sooners next year,and propel us,full of confidence into the Big 12 title game.
We will still need to improve a lot between now and then

Texas Golfer
1/6/2006, 01:12 AM
This article about Vinny staying is yesterday's news. Today, he's still saying that he will discuss his options with his family and close circle of friends.

I heard on ESPN Radio today that the Houston Texans front office is getting bombarded with calls and emails to draft Vinny #1 which would literally make him a home town favorite.

After last night's performance, Vinny's stock will be no higher than it is right now. I said the same thing about Leinart last year and I was right. Matty would have been the #1 pick. Now, he'll be lucky to be #3. He, literally, lost million$.

I think, if the Texans can assure Vinny that he'd be their first pick, Vinny would bolt for the NFL.

Blue
1/6/2006, 01:15 AM
I see him with the Saints at #2. They have a history of making bad decisions. Does he want to go to the Saints? Does anybody? How cool would it be to see Vick vs. Young twice a year though.

I agree with Cap.

Mjcpr
1/6/2006, 09:01 AM
Has slid to "Undecided" apparently. Also, I don't remember college players making the talk show rounds before. Probably just don't remember but I figured it was an NCAA no-no or something. :confused:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2282017

stoopified
1/6/2006, 09:39 AM
ZZZZZZZ

FirstandGoal
1/6/2006, 09:53 AM
Is that Will Ferrell sitting next to him?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/6/2006, 10:09 AM
Widescreen is right on. The general argument for a player staying is that they aren't ready and that one more year at the college level they can improve their skills for the next level. I don't see how it would be in Texas' interest to change his throwing motion. Chris Simms had more development as a QB in one year in Tampa as he did his whole time at Texas.

Of course it doesn't mean that VY won't buck all logic and return to school but it would be a huge mistake.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/6/2006, 10:13 AM
Oh, great. Another VY thread. What a-hole posted this crap, anyway?

Oh, uh. Nevermind.