PDA

View Full Version : Observation and give thanks.....

CtheB
1/5/2006, 02:53 PM
Last night's game proved to me that Brent Venables/Mike Stoops and the other Sooner defensive coaches really do scheme well. Do you ever think that a Sooner D would have allowed VY to run for 200+ yards on them? In addition, notice that OU's scheme, even this year, against VY was to leave him in the pocket and make him throw it. Understood he's a much better passer this year than last, but don't you take your chances against his arm rather than his legs?

Example, when Fouts kept squawking about USC's pass rush, or lack thereof, did anyone notice that Texas had 3 points on the board? Many many drives, and all fizzled out. Then USC starts to bring a little heat, and VY goes gaga running the ball. They forced Texas to keep the ball in their BEST PLAYERS HANDS!

How many TD passes did VY throw last night? Zero. All those yards, and none got them into the end zone. VY completed 99% of what he threw underneath the USC D, so as the field gets shorter, his range closes down.

My point is this: USC got impatient, and when they tried to force the action on VY, they played right into his hands. Last night showed me, among many other things, that Venables and his predecessors can still scheme pretty well to give us a chance to win. That encourages me for 2006.

Just my thoughts, and I am not a coach. But it sure looked like Carroll's defensive genius got whupped last night.

fadada1
1/5/2006, 02:57 PM
But it sure looked like Carroll's defensive genius got whupped last night.
slight understatement:D

OUGreg723
1/5/2006, 03:02 PM
Well give some credit to the texas o-line too...They are incredible.

The reason I thought Texas would win this game is because USC has never faced a mobile QB or this kind of offense in their 3 year run. It proved to be deadly last night.

NormanPride
1/5/2006, 05:17 PM
USC's gameplan in general was pretty laughable. If Bush was in, chances are the run was going to the outside. If LenDale was in, it was definitely going up the middle. Then throw in a few passes downfield and you have the USC offense. It's a marvel that Texas didn't completely shut them down.

Then on defense, USC decided to take away the deep threat and stop the running backs. That's a fairly good idea... except VY is their best runner, and almost all his passes are intermediate to short ones. OOPS.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/5/2006, 05:31 PM
Last night's game proved to me that Brent Venables/Mike Stoops and the other Sooner defensive coaches really do scheme well. Do you ever think that a Sooner D would have allowed VY to run for 200+ yards on them? In addition, notice that OU's scheme, even this year, against VY was to leave him in the pocket and make him throw it. Understood he's a much better passer this year than last, but don't you take your chances against his arm rather than his legs?

Example, when Fouts kept squawking about USC's pass rush, or lack thereof, did anyone notice that Texas had 3 points on the board? Many many drives, and all fizzled out. Then USC starts to bring a little heat, and VY goes gaga running the ball. They forced Texas to keep the ball in their BEST PLAYERS HANDS!

How many TD passes did VY throw last night? Zero. All those yards, and none got them into the end zone. VY completed 99% of what he threw underneath the USC D, so as the field gets shorter, his range closes down.

My point is this: USC got impatient, and when they tried to force the action on VY, they played right into his hands. Last night showed me, among many other things, that Venables and his predecessors can still scheme pretty well to give us a chance to win. That encourages me for 2006.

Just my thoughts, and I am not a coach. But it sure looked like Carroll's defensive genius got whupped last night.Brilliant(seriously). You ought to email this to coach Stoops.

SoonerFaninAZ
1/5/2006, 05:53 PM
USC's gameplan in general was pretty laughable. If Bush was in, chances are the run was going to the outside. If LenDale was in, it was definitely going up the middle. Then throw in a few passes downfield and you have the USC offense.

Yeah, the same one that has pretty much run over every opponent they've faced for three seasons.

It's a marvel that Texas didn't completely shut them down.

Oh yeah...I was thinking the same thing. :rolleyes:

BASSooner
1/5/2006, 06:05 PM
I wonder how 2005 UT's O would match up against our 2003 D or even against USC's O of 2005

RedstickSooner
1/5/2006, 07:50 PM
I wonder how 2005 UT's O would match up against our 2003 D or even against USC's O of 2005

Having two offenses on the field would make for a very strange match-up.

Readyfor8
1/5/2006, 08:01 PM
The only observation I have is that Huff is the best player on the Texas Defense. Lendale White will make an impact in the NFL but there is no reason for the "vaunted" Texas defense to hit a player 5-6 times and not make the tackle.

On the other hand Huff made some amazing tackles last night and I never noticed anyone break a tackle after he hit them.

Texas Defense isn't better than Ohio State, or even our defense. Gene Chizik had an ok game, but there is simply no excuse for the poor tackling shown last night. USC shouldn't have had 570+ yards last night, hell Pete Carroll's Defense held Texas to less than that.

EDIT: Oh and the other observation is that Texas doesn't know how to hold on to the ball, too many fumbles last night.

Hook 'Em Horns
1/5/2006, 08:30 PM

Any combination of those three would be one hell of a game.

TJKDone
1/5/2006, 11:57 PM
Anyone who thought Stoops & Co. couldn't "scheme" because of the '05 Orange bowl got their answer in this year's Holiday bowl. IMO, Stoops isn't as much of an X/O guy DURING the games, but he is outstanding in prep prior to the games.

I have my answer about you guys performance against SC last year: PRESSURE. Ramonce Taylor hadn't had a fumble all year and he dropped the ball twice in the first quarter. It was struggle for many of our players through the whole first quarter.

OU under Stoops normally takes advantage against teams feeling the pressure. But everyone is human and you guys just cracked in the '04 Orange.

Well done in the Holiday bowl.

Hook'em

:mack: :mack: :mack: :mack: :mack: :mack: :mack: :mack: :mack: :mack:

goingoneight
1/6/2006, 12:05 AM
They did, the same teams you speak of, with better backs and better OL met that year, I believe we got a little bit of a lead on them... :)

goingoneight
1/6/2006, 12:06 AM
I'm talking RRS 2003, of course...

SoonerGOP
1/6/2006, 12:08 AM
Last night's game proved to me that Brent Venables/Mike Stoops and the other Sooner defensive coaches really do scheme well. Do you ever think that a Sooner D would have allowed VY to run for 200+ yards on them?

I agree. He wouldn't run 200+ yards on us.

In fact, he didn't. He had only 45 yards rushing.

It was the 241 yards passing which screwed us, including the 64 yard bomb.

In 2004, he only had 54 Rush/86 passing total.

In 2003, he had a good first year against us. 127 Rushing/135 passing. Of course, his two fumbles (lost one of them) and two INT's. That didn't help his cause. But remember, back then, Mack was "bothering" him.

Mack should stop bothering all his players if they start playing like VY did this year.

AzianSooner
1/6/2006, 09:43 AM
Last night's game proved to me that Brent Venables/Mike Stoops and the other Sooner defensive coaches really do scheme well. Do you ever think that a Sooner D would have allowed VY to run for 200+ yards on them? In addition, notice that OU's scheme, even this year, against VY was to leave him in the pocket and make him throw it. Understood he's a much better passer this year than last, but don't you take your chances against his arm rather than his legs?....

Agree. But why Venable allowed USC scored 50+ points on us?

Also, why the hell that Chuck couldn't do sh.t about USC at all? At least we have an accurate QB and a great RB. Why couldn't we do anything then?????

Dammm.

FirstandGoal
1/6/2006, 10:02 AM

Also, why the hell that Chuck couldn't do sh.t about USC at all? At least we have an accurate QB and a great RB. Why couldn't we do anything then?????

Dammm.

From the hazy memories I have, I don't exactly remember Venables being out there on the field playing.

Face it, it was just the best game of their lives and it just worked out that it happened against us. No amount of coaching was going to fix it.

Snyder Cyclone
1/6/2006, 11:22 AM
I am a coach, and Yes CtheB, you make a very good observation. I was very shocked that USC allowed Young to rush for the winning TD.

CtheB
1/6/2006, 01:53 PM

Dammm.

First off, I honestly believe that the USC team of 2005 had more to prove than the 2006 version. So I think it's safe to say that the intangibles of winning your first BCS championship far outweigh the prospects of a second and a winning streak, so I believe last year's USC team was much better from an intangibles perspective.

Secondly, I believe that USC's defense of 2004-5 was much better than this year's version as well. Lose a Grootegood, Tatupu, Cody and Wright off of a defense and you're going to suffer a bit (see: OU OFFENSE, 2005).

The deciding factor between UT's success this year and OU"s failure last year defensively was in the defensive backfield. UT's DBs were all over the Trojan WR all night long and it took a special effort from Leinart to get them the ball. Last year we weren't even in the same county as USC"s WRs. Know what else? Three of the four guys we started last year against USC all are in the NFL now. That hangs on Pellini, not Venables.

CtheB
1/6/2006, 01:57 PM
Anyone who thought Stoops & Co. couldn't "scheme" because of the '05 Orange bowl got their answer in this year's Holiday bowl. IMO, Stoops isn't as much of an X/O guy DURING the games, but he is outstanding in prep prior to the games.

I have my answer about you guys performance against SC last year: PRESSURE. Ramonce Taylor hadn't had a fumble all year and he dropped the ball twice in the first quarter. It was struggle for many of our players through the whole first quarter.

OU under Stoops normally takes advantage against teams feeling the pressure. But everyone is human and you guys just cracked in the '04 Orange.

Well done in the Holiday bowl.

Hook'em

:mack: :mack: :mack: :mack: :mack: :mack: :mack: :mack: :mack: :mack:

I'll say it once, and I'm not seeing it through crimson colored glasses, but last year's USC team was far better than this one defensively. Offensively, a wash.

Congratulations on your championship, but OU played a far stronger Trojan team with a lot more to prove.

And this year the pressure was on USC, not Texas.

King Crimson
1/6/2006, 02:15 PM
i agree with ready for 8 that Huff made a lot of plays. and David Thomas is a good player.

MorningStar
1/6/2006, 02:56 PM

I'd like to see OU's 2001 D against USC's 2005 O.

Hook 'Em Horns
1/7/2006, 10:34 AM
test

Flagstaffsooner
1/7/2006, 10:56 AM
test
Not here, HEH. go to the free clinic.

ruf/nekdad
1/7/2006, 11:06 AM
Having two offenses on the field would make for a very strange match-up.

Hmmm. do they get two footballs? Play offence and defense at the same time? First to score wins. Weapons? ....;)