PDA

View Full Version : The GREATEST RIVALRY in College Football

RooseveltRoughRider
1/5/2006, 01:17 PM
Folks...there is not even room to argue. The RED RIVER RIVALRY is THE best Rivalry in all of College Football. PERIOD. Which other schools have to meet in a neutral location? But more importantly...

NAME A RIVALRY that has been more successful than OU and UT in this Decade? Ponder these Facts...

-Texas has not lost to anyone other than Oklahoma since 2003
-Oklahoma has won more games than any school since 1950 (473), with Texas at 4th with (450)

Years that Either Texas or OU was the National Champion According to any Agency (this will show you how Bama claims sooo many titles)
UT: 1941,1963,1968,1969,1970,1977,1981,2006
OU: 1949,1950,1953,1955,1956,1957,1967,1973,1974,1975, 1978,1980,1985,1986,2000,2003

NOW, many many say Alabama this, Auburn that, OSU/Michigan...

BUT RIGHT NOW..the Red River Rivalry is the best, most successful rivalry in College Football!

Records Since 2000...
Texas OU
2003 10-3 12-2
2004 11-1 12-1
2005 13-0 8-4

That is Awesome....

Also these 2 teams have played in

2 Orange Bowls
3 Rose Bowls
1 Sugar Bowl
4 Holiday Bowls
2 Cotton Bowls

Won 2 National Championships,4 Conference Championships

Great Programs that have felt the wrath of the Red River Rivalry???

Michigan
Arkansas
USC
Ohio State
Florida State
Nebraska
LSU
Oregon
Alabama
UCLA....

And my final reason is...

The Winner of 4 of the last 6 RRS's played for the NC. Including the last 3 games. We are the greatest rivalry.

King Crimson
1/5/2006, 01:19 PM
9-4?

PDXsooner
1/5/2006, 01:19 PM
tell me how exactly we have some claim to the 2003 title?

PDXsooner
1/5/2006, 01:20 PM
arkansas and UCLA are great programs?

RooseveltRoughRider
1/5/2006, 01:20 PM
Well, it should be 10-3

RooseveltRoughRider
1/5/2006, 01:21 PM
Berryman chose Oklahoma as 2003's National Champion. I got it off the NCAA Website http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_football_past_champs.html

Rusher
1/5/2006, 01:21 PM
I'm lookin forward for this Oct RRS. Should be a hell of a game.

OUDizzle
1/5/2006, 01:22 PM
It’s relative. ESPN judges rivalries by revenue, not the success of the teams.

jps
1/5/2006, 01:43 PM
I was watching Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel and they did a piece on a photographer who takes pictures for a magazine. He was taking pics of the OU/ TU game and the reporter called it the greatest rivalry.

When Gumbel is wrapping up the story with the reporter at the end he says "you really don't think that is the greatest rivalry, do you?" he then proceeds to list cal/ stanford and arizona/ asu and some others.

if he really thinks those are as good as the RRS then he doesn't know anything about college football.

Rocker
1/5/2006, 02:03 PM
I was watching Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel and they did a piece on a photographer who takes pictures for a magazine. He was taking pics of the OU/ TU game and the reporter called it the greatest rivalry.

When Gumbel is wrapping up the story with the reporter at the end he says "you really don't think that is the greatest rivalry, do you?" he then proceeds to list cal/ stanford and arizona/ asu and some others.

if he really thinks those are as good as the RRS then he doesn't know anything about college football.

They don't get it cuz they have never been to the RRS

SelmaBamaFan
1/5/2006, 02:15 PM
I tend to judge rivalries on the hate factor. Maybe its just my way of putting the Iron Bowl on top, because I dont think two teams hate each other more than Bama and Auburn.

RooseveltRoughRider
1/12/2006, 09:33 AM
It’s relative. ESPN judges rivalries by revenue, not the success of the teams.
Well we all know ESPN's credibility is shot..

but even Revenue-wise, is there another rivalry that has as much activities going on as the RRS? You got the Texas State Fair right next to the game with thousands of people, all kinds of Alumni events goin on in Dallas..I can't think of one that has been more meaningful or exciting in the last 10 years for sure.

TexasLidig8r
1/12/2006, 09:42 AM
and only two more years before it goes home and home....

and 8 decades of tradition

will be lost. :(

colleyvillesooner
1/12/2006, 09:46 AM

That really ****es me off.

OU James
1/12/2006, 09:46 AM

I saw that too, i about sh*t...he also was like "oregon/oregon st....oklahoma state/tulsa.." ok that last one was made up.

The Consumate Showman
1/12/2006, 09:48 AM
I'm partial to Davis v. Sulphur, Maud v. Konawa

Husker In Oklahoma
1/12/2006, 09:54 AM

Just to jump in here, I saw that as well, made Gumbel sound and look like more of an idiot than we already knew he was. I tell you, how in the hell some of these people get some of these jobs is beyond me. There are only a few rivalries that can even be mentioned in the same breath as UT/OU.

FSU/Miami - Only because in the past 20 years, there has been so much on the line for both teams.

Ohio State/Michigan - Only because it usually decides the Big 10 winner, and these programs have great tradition.

Georgia/Florida - Huge state pride for both schools, not to mention confrence championship hopes, and its a split 50/50 crowd partying non-stop.

Alabama/Auburn - Just the sheer hatred involved.

Oklahoma/Nebraska - Prior to the big 12, this one would be right up there with the all timers, so much on the line for the winner, almost always both teams would be ranked, often, very highly ranked.

OU/Texas of the last 5,6 years is probably the top choice due to the Championships won by the winner. The game is meaningful, prideful, hateful and the history involved is classic. Peace out!

camster
1/13/2006, 02:45 PM
lemme ask a naive question here: do sooner fans root for Texas in bowl games, for Big 12 bragging rights (and VV??)

I'll admit to rooting for UM over ND, and in the occasional bowl game.
(Although its hard not to laugh when a discounted team like Nebraska takes them out)

cheers,
camster

King Crimson
1/13/2006, 03:19 PM
outside the moronic trolls in this thread, it should be noted that much of the original post was edited by the original poster.

56-39-5
1/13/2006, 03:31 PM
the more important question is: how old is jeff sagarin? he's got to be close to 100 by now, having picked tennessee in 1938 and all.

Flagstaffsooner
1/13/2006, 03:48 PM
the more important question is: how old is jeff sagarin? he's got to be close to 100 by now, having picked tennessee in 1938 and all.I think he is in his late 50's. Those old things are retro stats he ran thu his computer.

Texas Golfer
1/13/2006, 05:55 PM
We've only had this discussion about a dozen times.

Duke o Brewery
1/13/2006, 06:56 PM
I tend to judge rivalries on the hate factor. Maybe its just my way of putting the Iron Bowl on top, because I dont think two teams hate each other more than Bama and Auburn.

I would have disagreed with you a year ago and said Oklahoma and Texas hate each other more.

Unfortunately after 1/04/06 I realized that apparently I was mistaken.

crimson&cream
1/14/2006, 12:00 AM
Your probably right Bama about the hate thing, but you just don't realize how much we hate TexASS.
What makes our rivalry unique with TexASS is the TexASS State Fair is going on just outside the stadium, Half the Cotton Bowl is puke burnt orange and the Half Crimson right down the middle every yr. Always played at the Cotton Bowl neutral field every yr although It's almost like a home game for TexASS, but inside the stadium it's half & half as it's never a Home & Home series. Then there's the intensity and OU taking many of TexASS best HS player's north of the Red River.:D

FlatheadSooner
1/14/2006, 12:12 AM

Bryant is gayer than a Christmas carol.
:rolleyes:

FlatheadSooner
1/14/2006, 12:16 AM

Personally, I think you Whorns have had good too long with respect to the game in Tejas. I think rotating the game between OK and TX will increase our recent dominance even more while boosting the OK revenue which should be shared.

bcgvh
1/14/2006, 01:17 AM
Berryman chose Oklahoma as 2003's National Champion. I got it off the NCAA Website http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_football_past_champs.html

I assume that they thought if the Sugar Bowl would've been played anywhere other than Louisiana, then OU would've won the game......and I agree. And I will NEVER believe that LSU was in fact the better team that year!

Jimminy Crimson
1/14/2006, 01:25 AM
And I will NEVER believe that LSU was in fact the better team that year!

Everyone knows USC was the best team in 2003! :rolleyes: ;)

goingoneight
1/14/2006, 04:24 PM

So, so true... I dislike UT only on RRS gameday... I have to agree with them, that traveling the extra distance makes the rival game less exciting and a much smaller turnout. I say, and I believe I'm right, OU/TX will stay or be moved nearby the Cotton Bowl to somewhat continue the tradition. What better place than midway for two schools to meet in an annual game that in recent years could determine who visits the National Championship?

goingoneight
1/14/2006, 04:29 PM
Everyone knows USC was the best team in 2003! :rolleyes: ;)
we were one dropped (perfectly passed, I might add) TD pass away from beating the Loser State kittens.

I believe the coaching changes along with playing the two championship games in the opponents' back yard/home field... and all the pressure of being called the "greatest team ever" was what resulted in OU's 2003 collapse. It was the saddest finish in OU's history. I loved that team soooo much, too.

Do you really think K-State was better than OU in 2003? The game at K-State in 2004 proved no-way. OU's opponents final records proved no way. OU's strength of chedule proved no way.

If only Kejuan could catch a ball, we were so close... yet in the end, so far away.

tbl
1/14/2006, 05:49 PM
I disagree. I hate saxeT and I never root for them, however I was put to the test a couple of weeks ago. I just moved to the south, so maybe I'll start to get an idea of the Iron Bowl hatred, but I can't imagine it being more intense than OU/saxeT.

Big Red Ron
1/14/2006, 07:03 PM
Bryant Gumble makes Wayne Brady look like Malcome X.

FlatheadSooner
1/14/2006, 11:43 PM
Bryant is gayer than a Christmas carol.

Like I said, Bryant needs to go away. Why hasn't the brass realized that he rubs peolple the wrong way...for so long now....be gone you swapper of other peoples bottoms.

:O

sooner518
1/14/2006, 11:54 PM
man Yale is a powerhouse. 27 national titles. Bama fans (and your 17 national championships HA), eat your heart out

TexasLidig8r
1/15/2006, 12:58 PM
we were one dropped (perfectly passed, I might add) TD pass away from beating the Loser State kittens.

Wasn't the score 35 - 7? I'm not bashing here... but, I am curious as to where your statement comes from. :confused:

Big Red Ron
1/15/2006, 01:03 PM
Wasn't the score 35 - 7? I'm not bashing here... but, I am curious as to where your statement comes from. :confused:21-14, Suger Bowl.

PrideTrombone
1/15/2006, 01:21 PM
we were one dropped (perfectly passed, I might add) TD pass away from beating the Loser State kittens.....

If only Kejuan could catch a ball, we were so close... yet in the end, so far away.

Um, the ball was about 5 feet over his head, so unless Kejuan suddenly turned into Reggie Bush and flew up into the air (because we all know Reggie Bush is superhuman and can do that :) ), he wasn't gonna catch that ball.

BillyBall
1/15/2006, 01:50 PM
Do you really think K-State was better than OU in 2003? The game at K-State in 2004 proved no-way.

This makes absolutely no sense....

Soonerman08
1/15/2006, 01:58 PM
This makes absolutely no sense....

A lot of what these people say makes no sense, and it was Mark Clayton who had the ball and it got away...but yeah Kejuan couldn't have caught that ball. :(

Texas Golfer
1/15/2006, 06:07 PM
Wasn't the score 35 - 7? I'm not bashing here.... :confused:

Yeah, you're pretty close. You're only off by three touchdowns.

Big Red Ron
1/15/2006, 06:10 PM
A lot of what these people say makes no sense, and it was Mark Clayton who had the ball and it got away...but yeah Kejuan couldn't have caught that ball. :(This series of plays is when I realized my Dad was right about Chuck Long's abilities as a play caller.

Tailgate
1/15/2006, 09:21 PM
Texas/OU is the granddaddy of them all.

Tidefan36854
1/16/2006, 12:50 AM
That's one on those subjects that will never be resolved. Being a Bama fan and living 15 miles from Jerrrrrdan Hare, I cannot imagine another rivalry even being remotely close to the Iron Bowl. I hate everything about the sheep humping, cow harvesting bastages!

If I was from Oklahoma and was a Sooner fan, I'd feel the same way you do.

soonerjoker
1/16/2006, 10:43 AM
tidefan makes valid point that "greatest" is in eye of beholder.

do you think people in wisconsin or ohio, care about OU/tejas ????

Desert Sapper
1/16/2006, 11:02 AM
blah blah blah hate. blah blah blah bama. blah blah blah.

Red River is the biggest rivalry (state fair, national stage, etc.)

Iron Bowl is the hatingest rivalry

Harvard - Yale is the oldest rivalry

Army - Navy is the GREATEST RIVALRY

If you don't agree, I don't care. I've seen guys in the middle of a fire fight freak out because they think they will miss that game. Not even a bama fan or OU fan cares that much about a rivalry. It's pure. Hate is a factor. Everybody watches it everywhere in the country. The records don't matter.

Texas Golfer
1/16/2006, 11:12 AM

If you don't agree, I don't care. I've seen guys in the middle of a fire fight freak out because they think they will miss that game. Not even a bama fan or OU fan cares that much about a rivalry. It's pure. Hate is a factor. Everybody watches it everywhere in the country. The records don't matter.

I do agree. With traditional universities, you have rivalries. But, with Army-Navy, you not only have the university rivalry but also the service rivalry.

jthomasou78
1/16/2006, 08:43 PM
Every year a 1-10 Army team can play a 2-9 Navy team and i will watch. It truly is the greatest rivalry (although it kinda deserves its own category.

we are second though.

PalmBeachSooner
1/16/2006, 09:55 PM

I don't think he knows squat about football. There is no way he gets that job without his brother.

Big Red Ron
1/16/2006, 11:06 PM
There is no way he gets that job without his brother.Thus approximating life as Doug Gottlieb.:mack:

Duke o Brewery
1/17/2006, 01:17 AM
blah blah blah hate. blah blah blah bama. blah blah blah.

Red River is the biggest rivalry (state fair, national stage, etc.)

Iron Bowl is the hatingest rivalry

Harvard - Yale is the oldest rivalry

I agree with all of that except that in all the national polls I've seen over the last several years Michigan-Ohio State has consistantly won out over OU-tx when it comes to national interest. So I'd have to say that the RRS is the 'Most Unique' rivalry (due to the fair, neutral site, split stadium), but that MU-OSU is still regarded nationally as the 'Biggest Rivalry'.

RooseveltRoughRider
1/17/2006, 09:14 AM
I agree with all of that except that in all the national polls I've seen over the last several years Michigan-Ohio State has consistantly won out over OU-tx when it comes to national interest. So I'd have to say that the RRS is the 'Most Unique' rivalry (due to the fair, neutral site, split stadium), but that MU-OSU is still regarded nationally as the 'Biggest Rivalry'.

Which National Polls are you referring to? Surely not the rankings.

TEXAS-OU in the polls the past 6 meetings

2005: #2 Texas vs. NR Oklahoma
2004: #5 Texas vs. #2 Oklahoma
2003: #11 Texas vs. #1 Oklahoma
2002: #3 Texas vs. #2 Oklahoma
2001: #5 Texas vs. #3 Oklahoma
2000: #11 Texas vs. #10 Oklahoma

You cant get much better than that..in fact I'd bet my paycheck that UM-OsU did not have rankings THAT high for each matchup.

soonerjoker
1/17/2006, 11:53 AM
no, not the rankings. he didn't mention the RANKINGS !!!

Duke o Brewery
1/17/2006, 02:18 PM
Which National Polls are you referring to? Surely not the rankings.

I was referring to public opinion polls on ESPN.com, CNNSI.com, and CBSsportsline.com, etc. Once or twice a year the fans are asked to vote for what they think is the most important, 'biggest', or greatest rivalry. Unfortunately, MU-osu seems to come out on top most of the time and thats what my comment was based on.

start8
1/17/2006, 04:26 PM
Yeah but the polls always come out right before the OSU-UM game is played. I do think the OSU-UM game benefits from being at the end of the season.

start8
1/17/2006, 04:28 PM
Plus the RRS has produced 2 NC and 2 NC appearances in the last 6 years. Give me one other rivalry that can say that....

OSU-UM: 1 in 6
USC-ND: 2 in 6
Bama-Barn: 0 in 6, despite what the barners think
Army-Navy: No
FSU-UM: 3 in 6 (close, but the last one was 3 years ago)