PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Hearing

william_brasky
1/5/2006, 09:59 AM
What's this I hear about OUr men's program having to go before the NCAA in April for recruiting violations? I heard that we tried to impose some sanctions upon ourselves, but the NCAA won't allow it and will have the Sooner program before them this coming spring. Something to do with too many phone calls to recruits and giving t-shirts to recruits and families of recruits. Will we lose scholarships because of this?

Anyone have any info on this besides what I just heard?

crawfish
1/5/2006, 10:38 AM
From the daily disappointment:

Violations

The following are the violations both the NCAA and University of Oklahoma found during investigations into the men’s basketball program:

# Impermissible calls or attempted calls (calls that may not have reached the prospect) were made in four telephone call categories/time periods to a total of 17 men’s basketball prospects over a four-year period.

# The men’s basketball staff made three impermissible in-person contacts with prospects during this same period.

# The program provided a T-shirt to one prospect when on a visit to campus and to the parent of another prospect during an official visit.

Penalties imposed

The following are the penalties the University of Oklahoma already imposed on itself for the men’s basketball program:

# A two-year probationary period for men’s basketball from July 1, 2005 to June 30, 2007.

# A reduction of scholarships from 13 to 11 for the 2005-06 academic year and from 13 to 12 for the 2006-07 academic year.

# A reduction in the number of permissible phone calls from coaches to prospective student-athletes.

# A reduction in off-campus recruiting for the staff in July of 2005 and academic years of 2005-06 and 2006-07.

# A reduction from 12 to nine the number of paid visits for prospects for the 2005-06 academic year.

# A freeze on contract renegotiation, salary increases and postseason bonuses for the head coach during a two-year period, which began in 2005.

Gym teams cited for violations

Results of an NCAA investigation show that the Oklahoma men’s and women’s gymnastics teams committed violations in regards to exceeding allowable practice time mandated by the NCAA.

A document from the NCAA enforcement staff states that OU “had impermissible countable athletically related activities outside of the institution’s declared playing season and a failure to record countable hours.”

An OU release says an internal investigation revealed that OU “discovered and reported that there was some ambiguity concerning preseason practices in its men’s and women’s gymnastics programs. The university has taken steps to assure that what are intended as optional, individual, preseason practices are not treated as mandatory team practices.”

oumartin
1/5/2006, 11:46 AM
Man, I see changes a coming!!!!!! :D

OUGreg723
1/5/2006, 11:50 AM
The NCAA is a load of CRAP. This is so rediculous. Sampson is a clean guy. This is so freakin stupid!!

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/5/2006, 12:50 PM
I seriously doubt there will be any penalties imposed by the NCAA that aren't already self-imposed by the school. Keep in mind that certain times of the year if a recruit calls and leaves a message to call him back and that coach does, and another coach also calls the recruit in that same week (even without knowing of the other conversation) it can be considered a violation.

Very little steak here and not much more sizzle.

jdsooner
1/5/2006, 12:50 PM
We gave a free t-shirt? What were we thinking??:eek:

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/5/2006, 01:39 PM
the tshirt allegations will most likely go away. especially since the guys in question were found to be on the take at kansas...

i'd bet half of those phone calls were negative recruiting against some of sutton's transfers...

CtheB
1/5/2006, 01:47 PM
I seriously doubt there will be any penalties imposed by the NCAA that aren't already self-imposed by the school. Keep in mind that certain times of the year if a recruit calls and leaves a message to call him back and that coach does, and another coach also calls the recruit in that same week (even without knowing of the other conversation) it can be considered a violation.

Very little steak here and not much more sizzle.

This is why there is a hearing. The NCAA didn't accept the self-imposed penalties.

OUGreg723
1/5/2006, 02:54 PM
NCAA: "Oklahoma, we have decided to put you on probation! Kelvin you are being to nice of a guy calling your recruits, who have committed to your program, to see how school and life is going for them! HOW DARE YOU BE NICE TO A RECRUIT'S MOTHER!! It makes us all on this board sick to look at you!! Your team is working too hard in the offseason!! WE don't want your program to ever be good. Heck you guys shared the big 12 title with our homies Kansas last year!! WE can't allow that to happen!! So we have decided to put OU on probation. "

The NCAA has nothing better to do than to find a great coach and American like Kelvin Sampson, and work to put Ou on probation for being a friend and coach to his commited players, kind to mothers and families, and having optional off season workouts. THE NCAA IS A BUNCH OF IDIOTS!! THERE IS NOTHING WRONGE WITH WHAT KELVIN IS DOING OR HAS EVER DONE!! The NCCA is the thing that is most wronge about college sports. F*** THEM!!

John Kochtoston
1/5/2006, 03:37 PM
NCAA: "Oklahoma, we have decided to put you on probation! Kelvin you are being to nice of a guy calling your recruits, who have committed to your program, to see how school and life is going for them! HOW DARE YOU BE NICE TO A RECRUIT'S MOTHER!! It makes us all on this board sick to look at you!! Your team is working too hard in the offseason!! WE don't want your program to ever be good. Heck you guys shared the big 12 title with our homies Kansas last year!! WE can't allow that to happen!! So we have decided to put OU on probation. "

The NCAA has nothing better to do than to find a great coach and American like Kelvin Sampson, and work to put Ou on probation for being a friend and coach to his commited players, kind to mothers and families, and having optional off season workouts. THE NCAA IS A BUNCH OF IDIOTS!! THERE IS NOTHING WRONGE WITH WHAT KELVIN IS DOING OR HAS EVER DONE!! The NCCA is the thing that is most wronge about college sports. F*** THEM!!

You know, I couldn't agree more. We're giving up two schollys next year and one in 07-08, Sampson's off the road in July, and he can't get raises or bonuses for two years. All for some phone calls and a pair of T-Shirts. We didn't even send the shirts Fed Ex.

AND THE NCAA ISN'T SATISFIED? What else do they want? The death penalty? Hell, we should have been offering up the Tarkanian Special if we're going to get nailed like this.

Dio
1/5/2006, 04:25 PM
The NCAA hasn't forgot about the CFA lawsuit, the Boz was right, and we are screwed.

soonerjoker
1/6/2006, 11:25 AM
this has come from OU, not the ncaa.

Rhino
1/6/2006, 12:02 PM
Thanks, Ray Lopes.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/6/2006, 05:41 PM
Well I certainly could be wrong about no more penalties IF an NCAA hearing means that there must be more sanctions of some kind. I just don't see how much more could come of this. I know the NCAA can be like that crazy aunt at Thanksgiving. From following the mess that Mizzou got themselves into this is absolutely nothing. Plus only the biggest Sampson hater would even suggest that he runs anything less than a clean program. It's not like we have been stealing recruits from Dook.

SicEmBaylor
1/6/2006, 09:59 PM
Well this is better than being one slight step up from being given the death penalty.

Big John
1/6/2006, 10:14 PM
I think schools should be allowed to give recruits t-shirts. The NCAA has a rule that says schools can't give away stuff to recruits because they're afraid that the bigger schools with more money will give extremely expensive things to the recruits to get them to come over, instead of trying to get the players to come to thier school because of education and a good basketball/football program. The problem with that rule is that every college in the nation can afford to give thier recruits t-shirts.

I think the rule about how many times a coach can call a recruit is stupid, because it seems like a tough thing to monitor. I think if investigations would be held in every basketball and football program in the NCAA, then almost every school would be caught with some violation.

cma14
1/7/2006, 01:28 AM
This is stupid. I live in KC and to hear what went on with Missouri and the sanctions set against them makes me ill. T-shirts rank right up there with having to charge your players for dinner if you invite them over. 3 scholarship lost over 2 year? Thats bs.