CtheB
1/4/2006, 01:46 PM
First half field goals: 42-90
FG for game: 70-147
Rebounds, first half: 51
Rebounds, game: 86
Opposition TOs: 42
Sooner TOs: 12

Final score: Oklahoma 173, US International 101. The good ole days.

Also find it odd that Kelvin has only had one team whose leading scorer averaged more than 18 per game since 1998, the year we introduced bloody nose basketball.

"This team isn't about Taj Gray" Oh, it isn't? Let's see there are five All Americans in the country, and you possess one of them. In my opinion, this team is ALL ABOUT Taj Gray. In 1983 wouldhe have said, "This team isn't about Wayman Tisdale?" Gee, I wonder why he only gets 7 or 8 shots a game?

Sorry, my disdain for Kelvin Sampson basketball has reached its fill. Just had to gripe a bit. This team some projected to finish in the top 4 or 5 will be another Subregional disaster for us if things don't improve quickly.

colleyvillesooner
1/4/2006, 02:35 PM
Kelvin wouldn't have allowed that team to score 101.

CtheB
1/4/2006, 02:36 PM
True. Very true.

Sooner04
1/4/2006, 02:49 PM
HEY! I was at that game!

We had 97 after the first 19 minutes.

dolemitesooner
1/4/2006, 03:09 PM
gREAT kepp livin in the past

dolemitesooner
1/4/2006, 03:11 PM
Sorry, my disdain for Kelvin Sampson basketball has reached its fill. Just had to gripe a bit. This team some projected to finish in the top 4 or 5 will be another Subregional disaster for us if things don't improve quickly.

The early season means nothing...Kelvin will have them ready come tourny time. We won the Big 12 last year. We will this year too

CtheB
1/6/2006, 02:04 PM
gREAT kepp livin in the past

I write this only to blow the misconception that Billy's teams were careless and didn't play defense.

Kelvin's team would have beaten that US Intl team 58-51 in front of 5000 subdued fans at the LNC.

OUstud
1/6/2006, 03:38 PM
Because I was only 2 1/2 months old at the time, I can't even comprehend how often we must have scored. Can't ESPN Classic replay this kind of thing occasionally?

SoonerInKCMO
1/6/2006, 03:42 PM
HEY! I was at that game!

And then clanged 3-4 threes in the last minute trying to get to 100... :(

Helluva fun game to watch though.

King Crimson
1/6/2006, 03:53 PM
that Tubbs team beat East Tennessee State in the first round of teh tournament by 1. and was upset by Virginia and Bryant Stith in the Sweet 16.

Kelvin has a higher winning % at OU than Tubbs, playing in a more difficult conference top to bottom. i love Billy as much as anyone, but let's be real.

CtheB
1/6/2006, 10:17 PM
that Tubbs team beat East Tennessee State in the first round of teh tournament by 1. and was upset by Virginia and Bryant Stith in the Sweet 16.

Kelvin has a higher winning % at OU than Tubbs, playing in a more difficult conference top to bottom. i love Billy as much as anyone, but let's be real.

That Tubbs team was also a preseason top 5 team, but they played to it. I'm not disputing the fact that Kelvin is a good coach as his record speaks for itself, but let's truly be real here. This team is so far off from expectations that a healthy improvement throughout the remainder of the season still puts them as an outsider for the Final Four, and possibly the Great Eight. If we will be content competing in a tough conference and be an annual invitee to the Big Dance, then Kelvin's our man, but until this guy learns a little offense that doesn't require his best player, at 6'9" mind you, to handle the ball 20 feet away from the goal, and learns how to get a team to score points when the defense ain't working, that's as far as we'll go.

I know there are people on both sides of the Kelvin thing, and I really do not dislike the guy, but if he does another one or two step out of the NCAA tournament this year, with this team, and attending crowds continue to barely reach 6000/night, the groundswell to make a change will grow. Trust me.

His style worked when we had little talent, but now that we have talent, why does he continue to coach the same style? Izzo comparisons? Pleeeze. Izzo plays defense, but he lets his guys go on the offensive as well.

I'm not trying to change your opinion, and I respect it. But Oklahoma basketball is very hard on the eyes.

SoonerInKCMO
1/6/2006, 10:44 PM
But Oklahoma basketball is very hard on the eyes.

If by 'hard on the eyes' you mean 'I would rather watch What Not To Wear on TLC', then, yes, I agree.

CtheB
1/6/2006, 11:31 PM
If by 'hard on the eyes' you mean 'I would rather watch What Not To Wear on TLC', then, yes, I agree.

EGGGGGSACTLY.

Sooner04
1/7/2006, 02:01 PM
KC, this game was played in November of '89, which means it's the '89-90 team which finished the season ranked #1.

Of course, they also got Foxed down in Austin at the buzzer.

King Crimson
1/7/2006, 02:08 PM
KC, this game was played in November of '89, which means it's the '89-90 team which finished the season ranked #1.

Of course, they also got Foxed down in Austin at the buzzer.

yer right. i'm a little sheepish to have erred there, since i drove from Colorado overnight with a buddy for the Missouri game that year. got to Norman about an hour before tip, bought some pretty lousy seats in the upper level.....but had a blast. I ought to have remembered better.

Frozen Sooner
1/7/2006, 02:50 PM
Sorry, my disdain for Kelvin Sampson basketball has reached its fill.

That's OK. My disdain for your appreciation of basketball just went up a few notches.

CtheB
1/7/2006, 03:52 PM
That's OK. My disdain for your appreciation of basketball just went up a few notches.

Nebraska 59, Oklahoma 58. 9-3 overall, 2-2 against good teams, 0-1 against great teams and 0-1 in conference.

Every game turns into a war.

I appreciate basketball...good basketball. When you're supposed to be the preseason conference favorite, and a top 5 team, this isn't good basketball.

KABOOKIE
1/7/2006, 04:01 PM
Another snooze fest. WTG Calvin!

KABOOKIE
1/7/2006, 04:09 PM
The early season means nothing...Kelvin will have them ready come tourny time. We won the Big 12 last year. We will this year too

Calvin's first regular season champ. ever and I think he needed a lot of help the last couple of games from other teams to back door into it.

GrapevineSooner
1/7/2006, 04:12 PM
HEY! I was at that game!

And it would have been 100 if not for a three that didn't go at the end of the half. :D

Good times. :(

Frozen Sooner
1/7/2006, 04:27 PM
Nebraska 59, Oklahoma 58. 9-3 overall, 2-2 against good teams, 0-1 against great teams and 0-1 in conference.

Every game turns into a war.

I appreciate basketball...good basketball. When you're supposed to be the preseason conference favorite, and a top 5 team, this isn't good basketball.

I guess I missed where Kelvin was one of the sportswriters giving us all the preseason accolades.

Cam
1/8/2006, 05:05 AM
We won the Big 12 last year. We will this year too
I don't see that happening this year. This team, for whatever reason, plays to its opponent's ability. Teams that are as good as their perception beat bad teams by more than 10-15 points. This team rarely does that.

bluedogok
1/8/2006, 11:42 AM
My freshman year was 82-83, Wayman's frosh year so i saw a bunch of the fun games against Pacific, Loyola Marymount, etc. The problem with BillyBall is that no one plays that style anymore because it doesn't work, the refs don't allow it. I remember seeing winded refs calling phantom fouls just so they could get a break.

I liked it, I miss it, but it just isn't the style that works the way the game is currently played.

MojoRisen
1/8/2006, 03:19 PM
and attending crowds continue to barely reach 6000/night, the groundswell to make a change will grow. Trust me.

If the Great Loyd Noble isn't rockin and about 105 degrees with the heat turned up- Fire that dudes arse!!!! 6000 a night is absolutely unacceptable

We have to have Tradition- Home Sell outs every single game- or else. Seriously if people aren't showing up to watch his great winning percentage something is wrong. seriously wrong.

stoopified
1/10/2006, 01:19 AM

Kelvin has a higher winning % at OU than Tubbs, playing in a more difficult conference top to bottom. i love Billy as much as anyone, but let's be real.True dat AND Billy played a lot of non D1 teams.One year we finshed 19-11 and did not make the dance.The reason ?three of those wins were non D1,as far as NCAA was concerned we were 16-11.

The Ensuing Kickoff
1/10/2006, 08:29 PM
I was in the house for this score-fest. My freshman year. Man, I just knew we were going to score 100 by the half!!

BarryBnds
1/10/2006, 11:09 PM
Kelvin will have them ready come tourny time.

Hopefully we do better in the NIT than we did the last time.

GottaHavePride
1/10/2006, 11:16 PM
This team, for whatever reason, plays to its opponent's ability. Welcome to the last 8 years. We were just fortunate a few years ago to have players like Najera and Hollis that could get the rest of the team to work together well enough to squeak out a win instead of a loss.

CtheB
1/11/2006, 09:47 AM
Welcome to the last 8 years. We were just fortunate a few years ago to have players like Najera and Hollis that could get the rest of the team to work together well enough to squeak out a win instead of a loss.

Thank you for informing the rest of the board that if it weren't for some warrior-type performances by special players, Kelvin wouldn't be winning 75% of his ballgames.

MojoRisen
1/11/2006, 10:17 AM
Kevlin doesn't sell out the Loyd Noble?????? How is that possible...

Enough said...