PDA

View Full Version : back from the game

jk the sooner fan
1/3/2006, 11:04 PM
ok, my impressions of the OU/smu game

1 - Moody Coliseum is REALLY small - there was a massive hillbilly invasion, as the Sooners outnumbered the pony fans, although we were fairly quiet.....kinda weird to outnumber the home team fans, and weirder still to not hear Boomer Sooner during a game

2 - we are a street ball team......there is absolutely no leadership.....late in the game with like a minute left, we go down to shoot some free throws and the coaches are having to tell the team they need to huddle up before the shot.....thats not good

3 - i really like austin johnson when he dribbles and passes, he's very smooth....i dont like him so much when he shoots the 3......he barely got it to the rim....inside 15 feet, great, outside, not so great

4 - i dont care for when Everett is at the point, he's rather sloppy and careless with the ball and was just extremely lackadaisical (sp?).....see my previous comment about "streetball"

5 - bob barry looked dead from where i was sitting but i saw his mouth moving so i know he wasnt

6 - nate carter really doesnt impress me much....i do like neal though, and i really wish we could see Griffin get a bunch more minutes

7 - defensively we are pretty damn good.....

8 - offensively, no rhythm whatsoever, no flow to the game, the new guys standing around alot

9 - i met 1TC at halftime, and he says "stanley and the others are supposed to be here but i dont know where they are sitting"......he tells me there's an empty seat next to him, so i agree to sit with my new buddy....we walk up and there is CVS and Stanley sitting RIGHT BEHIND where 1TC's seat was, 2 rows back.......funny

10 - if we dont find some game soon, conference play will be brutal, we arent as good as our ranking

King Crimson
1/3/2006, 11:59 PM
i don't think we are a streetball team, in "streetball" or any pickup game you usually have too many people attacking the basket 1 on 3 or whatever. we usually pass the ball around the perimeter and get deeper than the free throw line with about 9 seconds left on the shot clock.

having been to the WVU game, this years basketball Sooners have a lot to show me that we are good on D.

IronHorseSooner
1/4/2006, 01:40 AM
In my preseason outlook, there were several improves that this team must make, and most haven't. The only person who seems like he is playing with consistent energy is Taj. I knew that the WVU game was NOT going to be a good match-up. I had a feeling that 'Bama was going to be a tough match-up, and that at SMU was going to be tough, but a win. However, I do see that this team is sleepwalking through games. I wonder what they are waiting for. The defense is good on the interior and mid-range, but not on the perimeter (which is surprising due to the amount of length that's on the perimeter). That's why I felt that the two Big East teams would not be good match-ups. No one in the Big XII, including UT, has that sort of perimeter firepower. To me, it's a matter of shooting and movement. I don't mean this sarcastically, but when this team hits a three, my jaw drops. If this team learns to defend the 3, and shoot the 3, they will be real good. If not, they will have a deceiving record going into the NCAAs, and they will be beaten by a team who is senior-laden and can shoot (see WVU, IU, 'Nova, Utah,etc.).

Sooner24
1/4/2006, 01:49 AM
ok, my impressions of the OU/smu game

1 - Moody Coliseum is REALLY small - there was a massive hillbilly invasion, as the Sooners outnumbered the pony fans, although we were fairly quiet.....kinda weird to outnumber the home team fans, and weirder still to not hear Boomer Sooner during a game

2 - we are a street ball team......there is absolutely no leadership.....late in the game with like a minute left, we go down to shoot some free throws and the coaches are having to tell the team they need to huddle up before the shot.....thats not good

3 - i really like austin johnson when he dribbles and passes, he's very smooth....i dont like him so much when he shoots the 3......he barely got it to the rim....inside 15 feet, great, outside, not so great

4 - i dont care for when Everett is at the point, he's rather sloppy and careless with the ball and was just extremely lackadaisical (sp?).....see my previous comment about "streetball"

5 - bob barry looked dead from where i was sitting but i saw his mouth moving so i know he wasnt

6 - nate carter really doesnt impress me much....i do like neal though, and i really wish we could see Griffin get a bunch more minutes

7 - defensively we are pretty damn good.....

8 - offensively, no rhythm whatsoever, no flow to the game, the new guys standing around alot

9 - i met 1TC at halftime, and he says "stanley and the others are supposed to be here but i dont know where they are sitting"......he tells me there's an empty seat next to him, so i agree to sit with my new buddy....we walk up and there is CVS and Stanley sitting RIGHT BEHIND where 1TC's seat was, 2 rows back.......funny

10 - if we dont find some game soon, conference play will be brutal, we arent as good as our ranking

1 - I liked Moody. It was old school. Reminded me a lot of Allen FH and G/I Arena pre expansion. Even had an old time scoreboard.

2 - I think a good streetball team would beat us right now.

3 - AJ couldn't even find a wide open Taj and took a five second count and this is after the coaches are reminding him he can run the baseline coming out of a time out. His feet were rooted to the ground.

4 - As far a Everett goes he had more fouls then points. Enough said.

5 - Mr Ed couldn't really talk but his lips moved so that doesn't mean a thing.

6 - I agree.

7 - Defensively we are pretty darn okay. I think SMU made us look way better then we played.

8 - See my picture in this thread of our offense standing around.
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58280

9 - Saw a lot of Sooner fans but no one I knew other then the ones I went with.

10 - AMEN!!!

NickZeppelin
1/4/2006, 01:59 AM
Atleast we played good defense for an entire game.

jk the sooner fan
1/4/2006, 08:35 AM
let me clarify my streetball team comment.....they look like 5 individuals out there.......not much teamwork at all

Beef
1/4/2006, 09:19 AM
Worst.
Game.
Ever.

King Crimson
1/4/2006, 09:28 AM
let me clarify my streetball team comment.....they look like 5 individuals out there.......not much teamwork at all

i knew what you meant, i was just being snarky.

colleyvillesooner
1/4/2006, 09:45 AM
Very small. The strobe light thing was very annoying. Anyone else see this? Four flashing lights like for a camera in the four corners of the arena.

Game was horrid. 50-47. I can't believe we got to 50. But, we got the W and got out of there.

Mjcpr
1/4/2006, 09:46 AM
Hung half a hundred, baby!!

jk the sooner fan
1/4/2006, 09:49 AM
Very small. The strobe light thing was very annoying. Anyone else see this? Four flashing lights like for a camera in the four corners of the arena.

Game was horrid. 50-47. I can't believe we got to 50. But, we got the W and got out of there.

the last time i was in moody, was in 81 when my high school had the grad ceremony there.....1800 graduates all on the floor.....it looked bigger back then

now i know why there'll never be a game on tv from that place!

if highland park is so "well to do".....spend some of that money widening mockingbird road dammit.....

The Maestro
1/4/2006, 10:01 AM
Will there be more points scored in the Rose Bowl?

Harry Beanbag
1/4/2006, 10:02 AM

Yep, that sounds like the Kelvin offense we all know and love.

Beef
1/4/2006, 10:13 AM
the last time i was in moody, was in 81 when my high school had the grad ceremony there.....1800 graduates all on the floor.....it looked bigger back then

Heh. My H.S. graduation was the last time I was in there. Hasn't changed a bit. Not quite '81, but still a long-*** time ago.

now i know why there'll never be a game on tv from that place!

if highland park is so "well to do".....spend some of that money widening mockingbird road dammit.....
I was going to warn you about that. I seriously doubt the property owners will let the city cut into their million dollar properties.

jk the sooner fan
1/4/2006, 10:16 AM
i've been down mockingbird, i just always forget its 2 lanes, with traffic lights every 20 feet

its a pick your poison type deal when you're going to that part of town, i took the tollroad because i knew going over to 75 would really slow me down

parking was fun last nite....

Beef
1/4/2006, 10:17 AM
i've been down mockingbird, i just always forget its 2 lanes, with traffic lights every 20 feet
And there's always someone turning left at every street. Fun stuff!

jk the sooner fan
1/4/2006, 10:22 AM
And there's always someone turning left at every street. Fun stuff!

YES!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:)

Sooner04
1/4/2006, 10:38 AM
I've never sat through a college basketball game as bad as the one last night.

Kelvin's offenses are getting worse. A LOT worse.

Beef
1/4/2006, 10:42 AM
Why do we only run plays to the post after timeouts?

NickZeppelin
1/4/2006, 10:52 AM
Why do we only run plays to the post after timeouts?

Because none of our guards can score consistantly.

King Crimson
1/4/2006, 10:54 AM
Because none of our guards can make entry passes to the post consistantly.

fixed that fer ya. :D

jk the sooner fan
1/4/2006, 11:00 AM
to be fair, i thought SMU did a really good job defensively of clogging up the post.....they had either gray or bookout doubled up most the nite

ouflak
1/4/2006, 11:01 AM

I have a feeling we are going to be eeking out more than a few wins that probably should have been losses.

colleyvillesooner
1/4/2006, 11:39 AM
to be fair, i thought SMU did a really good job defensively of clogging up the post.....they had either gray or bookout doubled up most the nite

When they weren't double teaming themselves. Gray and Bookout really seemed to me to be in each others way more than a few times under the basket. I don't know why, but it looked odd.

jk the sooner fan
1/4/2006, 11:45 AM
good observation, i totally agree, they did just as much to clog it up together

King Crimson
1/4/2006, 12:20 PM
good observation, i totally agree, they did just as much to clog it up together

FWIW, and my pops played college basketball, he's been saying all year that Bookout and Gray take up too much space since neither can really rotate up to the high post and be an O threat (or guard anyone--ala Bogut last year and Pittsnogle this).

jk the sooner fan
1/4/2006, 12:37 PM
i found it funny that when Everett fouled out, SMU played "bye bye bye" from the Backstreet Boys

there has to be something more intimidating out there for that....

colleyvillesooner
1/4/2006, 12:43 PM
i found it funny that when Everett fouled out, SMU played "bye bye bye" from the Backstreet Boys

there has to be something more intimidating out there for that....

I find it funny that you knew that was the Backstreet Boys ;)

Yeah, the girlfriend thought that was the "weakest exit song ever". Come on, at least give me , na na na-na, hey hey hey, good bye. or Hit the road Jack.

Was nice to get the treat of the alumni band though. ;) I liked their song: Duh Duh Duh-Duh-Duh over and over. Sounded like "Coun ting our-money." :D

jk the sooner fan
1/4/2006, 12:44 PM
LOL - next time i hear that goofy fight song on the radio for a SMU/TCU promo, i'll be using those words.....

Sooner04
1/4/2006, 12:58 PM
i found it funny that when Everett fouled out, SMU played "bye bye bye" from the Backstreet Boys.
Damn it, jk, that's NSYNC.

JESUS!

jk the sooner fan
1/4/2006, 01:04 PM
sorry, i get my boy bands mixed up!

NickZeppelin
1/4/2006, 01:06 PM
Damn it, jk, that's NSYNC.

JESUS!

I think it's kinda sad that you knew that. :D

soonerlaw
1/4/2006, 04:13 PM
Worst.
Game.
Ever.
You know its bad when the halftime frisbee dog show was the highlight of the game.

Harry Beanbag
1/4/2006, 04:15 PM
You know its bad when the halftime frisbee dog show was the highlight of the game.

You went to the OU-UCLA football game too?

Beef
1/4/2006, 04:52 PM
And since school wasn't in session, there wasn't any super-rich trim to gawk at.

Jimminy Crimson
1/4/2006, 05:01 PM
And since school wasn't in session, there wasn't any super-rich trim to gawk at.

You weren't looking hard enough. ;)

Beef
1/4/2006, 05:12 PM
Sad thing is, my eyes have started gravitating towards ****'s more than coeds. I guess I'm getting old.

colleyvillesooner
1/4/2006, 05:25 PM
man, if I was only allowed tell you guys about the young girl that Stanley1 talked to at the game.

Ah, crap. ;)

Jimminy Crimson
1/4/2006, 05:26 PM
man, if I was only allowed tell you guys about the young girl that Stanley1 talked to at the game.

Ah, crap. ;)

Too bad the dorms are closed for break or else there'd be some good stories. :texan:

Remembering Tom Stidham
1/4/2006, 08:18 PM
After Villanove I questioned our quickness on the defensive perimeter. We gave their 4 guards so MANY open shots. Then against West Virginia, I questioned our intelligence. From the opening tip-off thru the humiliating ending, none of our kids ever figured out what "back door" means.

How many times must Taj be faked out of his jock by an opposing post who puts in a wide-open lay-up before he figures out you don't leave the ground.

This team has a looonng way to go and may prove to be Kelvin's biggest disappointment.

Sooner24
1/6/2006, 12:10 AM

That was also the worst Frisbee dog show EVAR!!!

Harry Beanbag
1/6/2006, 06:42 AM
That was also the worst Frisbee dog show EVAR!!!

You went to the OU-UCLA game too?

Sooner24
1/6/2006, 07:13 AM
No the OU/SMU game.

I didn't make it to the OU/UCLA womens game.

Harry Beanbag
1/6/2006, 07:14 AM
No the OU/SMU game.

I didn't make it to the OU/UCLA womens game.

I was talking about the football game. They also had frisbee dogs as their halftime entertainment, and it was wretched.

OklahomaTrombone
1/6/2006, 10:17 AM
Worst.
Game.
Ever.

Apparently you forgot the 48-46 Big XII championship game against mizzou

Sooner04
1/6/2006, 10:29 AM
Missouri was a decent team.

SMU is horrid.

Beef
1/6/2006, 10:33 AM
Actually, that was the last time I saw OU basketball live. Maybe I should take the hint.

NormanPride
1/6/2006, 03:25 PM
Wasn't there a game a couple years back in GIA where we scored 40 or something like that?

NickZeppelin
1/6/2006, 03:32 PM
We also beat Purdue 47-45 I believe.

OUstud
1/6/2006, 03:43 PM
KS's teams make me happy sometimes, and other times they make me cry.

As mentioned above, I'm not a Nate Carter fan, maybe he'll get better, but so far he's kind of looking like a bust.

jk the sooner fan
1/6/2006, 03:44 PM
maybe the hoosiers style gym at moody coliseum was the reason for the hoosiers style score ;)

King Crimson
1/6/2006, 03:44 PM
the year of the OSU plane crash they beat us 70-something to 40-something at GIA. we lost a tilt with both teams in the 40's up there a couple years ago.

i'm too lazy to look it up but i'm sure you can find it a soonerstats.com

colleyvillesooner
1/6/2006, 03:51 PM
Men's
2/14/01 - lost 72-44

NickZeppelin
1/6/2006, 05:16 PM
The Final 4 or Elite 8 year we lost to OSU in a low scoring game that was actually fun to watch. Until we lost on a shot that didn't beat the buzzer but the refs thought it did.