PDA

View Full Version : that west virginia tailback - slaton

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/3/2006, 11:07 AM
i was really impressed with him, especially his patience in finding a whole and then turning on the burners. in college, elusiveness and speed are what make a dangerous tailback. the other thing is that he and that QB were perfectly meshed for running that zone read.

the humorous thing is this...

http://oklahoma.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=26616

http://oklahoma.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=26773

i guess we can look at their QB as well

http://oklahoma.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=23148

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/3/2006, 11:09 AM
oh, and as an aside, watching jay henry play reminded me that there were 2 guys on that jenks team that have had better college careers than pickryl. however, unlike mills, i don't think henry would have ever seen the field at OU.

jreed13
1/3/2006, 11:11 AM
Yeah I pulled up these kids on rivals when i got bored with watching them thwomp uga. Oh and moral of the story is that recruiting ratings are overated (ex: adrian peterson ;) )

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/3/2006, 11:22 AM
Yeah I pulled up these kids on rivals when i got bored with watching them thwomp uga. Oh and moral of the story is that recruiting ratings are overated (ex: adrian peterson ;) )

nope, the moral of the story is that recruiting rankings are skewed towards NFL draft potential which may or may not mean a hill of beans about how they were as a college player.

jreed13
1/3/2006, 11:24 AM
Yeah... thats what i meant :O

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/3/2006, 11:32 AM
guys like slaton are nothing more than scat backs at the next level so they aren't going to command much draft position. why rank them higher than the guy who has the frame to be a 1st day pick? at some positions, draft stock = college production, but at others its all about "athletic potential).

jreed13
1/3/2006, 11:34 AM
Tyrone Prothro was a 2-3 star and Demeco Ryans was a one star on scout....

P.S. Alabamas DE that just completely wrecks is Mark Anderson out of Tulsa Oklahoma. Dont know how OU let him slip away...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/3/2006, 12:25 PM
honestly, i'd never even heard of him until i saw a bama game this year. i had a discussion about this on agtimes the other day. if you have an eye for talent, you can get some serious gems out of oklahoma, especially at DE and TE. the problem is that they tend to be "late bloomers" so the gurus almost never get it right.

jreed13
1/3/2006, 12:35 PM
TE? Like Gresham :D

Harry Beanbag
1/3/2006, 12:43 PM
TE? Like Gresham :D

Didn't Shockey weigh like 180 his senior year?

jreed13
1/3/2006, 12:46 PM
Didn't Shockey weigh like 180 his senior year?
whoa! no way. :eek:

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/3/2006, 01:06 PM
i know he grew 2 inches and added 50 lbs his first year at NEO. got a lot angrier as well ;)

Cam
1/3/2006, 07:15 PM
Kind of amazing what happens when you recruit players that fit the system you want to run.

Blue
1/5/2006, 02:46 AM
Patrick White-QB. From my home town of Daphne, Al. LSU and Auburn recruited him as a wideout and WV was the only major school to offer him at QB.

Those two are going to be good for awhile.