PDA

View Full Version : Home Repair

Mjcpr
10/7/2003, 09:40 AM
I think I may do some home repair and repainting soon. And by "do", I mean "hire someone to" because I can't and don't want to. Just minor things.....replace a bad board here or there, replace some boards on my shed, general repair stuff and then paint the outside of the house.

So.....my question is, has anyone in the Tulsa area used anybody for this type of work and would you recommend them? If so, who?

No Wisenheimer's (Norm's word)! :mad: There....that should nip that little problem in the bud.

BamaBaby
10/7/2003, 09:49 AM
Mjc - my mother just had (and is having) a crap load of stuff done at her place.. Next time I talk to her I'll get the guys number and PM it to you. I told her it better be done by Thanksgiving or instead of Tulsa I'm heading to Hawaii :D

She seems pretty happy with his work at least she was the last time we spoke, lol

I found a handy man here in Nashville and had him do all the prep work (small repairs etc) then got a real painter to come in and paint... cost a little more but I think in the long run it worked out. Saves on carpet and pro's are quick and clean.

saucysoonergal
10/7/2003, 10:17 AM
Nothing adds to the joy of home ownership (and to the joy of your pocketbook) than being a diy guy.

My guy built us a gazebo this summer and although it was hard work, I think he enjoys it all the more for doing it himself. (plus it cost 1/4 of having one built)

Flagstaffsooner
10/7/2003, 10:48 AM
Oh crap. I need to go out and caulk.

Mjcpr
10/7/2003, 11:04 AM
Thanks Bama.

I'm sure diy is more rewarding, but not when you succ at it. That only adds to the stress level and the cursing and throwing things level.

It takes patience and I have almost none of that....to say nothing of the skills required.

Penguin
8/1/2006, 08:53 PM
What ever happened with this?

I need closure.

BeetDigger
8/1/2006, 09:14 PM
Thanks Bama.

I'm sure sex is rewarding, but not when you succ at it. That only adds to the stress level and the cursing and throwing things level.

It takes patience and I have almost none of that....to say nothing of the skills required.

Is this what you meant by that Weisenheimer stuff?

olevetonahill
8/1/2006, 09:31 PM
I have the skilze and the tools :cool:
I just dont give a **** ;)

BeetDigger
8/2/2006, 10:59 AM
This thread didn't get enough play. TTT.

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/2/2006, 11:02 AM
I like the Honey-Do Handyman trucks.

They're cute.

Fugue
8/2/2006, 11:04 AM
I think I may do some home repair and repainting soon. And by "do", I mean "hire someone to" because I can't and don't want to. Just minor things.....replace a bad board here or there, replace some boards on my shed, general repair stuff and then paint the outside of the house.

So.....my question is, has anyone in the Tulsa area used anybody for this type of work and would you recommend them? If so, who?

No Wisenheimer's (Norm's word)! :mad: There....that should nip that little problem in the bud.

you had to hire out "board replacing"? nttawwt
;)

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/2/2006, 11:06 AM
;)

No kidding.

He prolly hires someone to pull the locust shells off his fence, too.

Lazy wanker.

Fugue
8/2/2006, 11:08 AM
No kidding.

He prolly hires someone to pull the locust shells off his fence, too.

Lazy wanker.

he's skeered of them

mdklatt
8/2/2006, 11:14 AM

Three words: Illegal. Mexicans.

BudSooner
8/2/2006, 11:15 AM

Oh it's not that bad, couple of years ago this couple hired me to renovate their bathroom. and by renovate I mean, gut. the. bastard. to. the. studs/stringers/rafters.
I replaced the sheetrock, replaced 6 or 8 wallstuds, and due to leaking plumbing I had to replace the flooring which ended up being a big pain in the ***, also put up durock(for tile)and installed new shower tiles with new sliding shower door, ran new pipes(with a plumber present to supervise)set a new tub/commode/sink and counter top.
Also put up new wallboards and wallpaper. That. job. sucked. dog. balls.

In short, replacing a few boards yourself will save you $$$ and it's not that hard. Get a DIY book, spend a few hours reading and soon you will want to be out back building on that new addition. ok, maybe not.

Oh, and one last thing...if you DO do it yourself..use treated wood.

mdklatt
8/2/2006, 11:15 AM
No Wisenheimer's (Norm's word)! :mad:

Oops, I should have finished reading the entire post before I replied. :cool:

Mjcpr
8/2/2006, 11:16 AM
;)

Yes, they were some kind of tongue and groove thing. Plus, I can't fix **** anyway. And I had an attic vent thing repaired, soffits (?), had the house painted, etc.

None of which I could/would do myself.

Mjcpr
8/2/2006, 11:17 AM
In short, replacing a few boards yourself will save you $$$ and it's not that hard. Get a DIY book, spend a few hours reading and soon you will want to be out back building on that new addition. ok, maybe not.

No. I don't like to read either.

:D

Fugue
8/2/2006, 11:18 AM
Yes, they were some kind of tongue and groove thing. Plus, I can't fix **** anyway. And I had an attic vent thing repaired, soffits (?), had the house painted, etc.

rawr....
you're a little testy today Mr. soffit. :pop:

BudSooner
8/2/2006, 11:19 AM
Pfffft, tongue and groove. table saw+measure twice...cut once.

BlondeSoonerGirl

RAWRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

http://davidkessler.biz/gallery/data/thumbnails/2/DSCN3975-cicada-shell.jpg

Mjcpr
Pfffft, tongue and groove. table saw+measure twice...cut once.

Ta-ble sa-w?

Mjcpr
8/2/2006, 11:20 AM
rawr....
you're a little testy today Mr. soffit. :pop:
**** off, dip ****.

I got yer soffit swingin'.

Howzit
8/2/2006, 11:23 AM
**** off, dip ****.

Sumbuddy ridin' the cotton pony today?

pb4ou
8/2/2006, 11:24 AM
<shakes head>

Fugue
8/2/2006, 11:25 AM
**** off, dip ****.

i'm not surprised it's soffit. :texan:

BudSooner
8/2/2006, 11:25 AM
Dang, he is testy. Mr nopickemthemdangedICKYbugman.http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/dirtbox/pics/muttley.gif

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/2/2006, 11:27 AM
'Testy'.

GET IT?!?1/11/1/ !!!

BWAHahhAHAHHHHHAH!!!!!

Howzit
8/2/2006, 11:28 AM
Sumbuddy ridin' the cotton pony today?

'Cause...see...that's a reference to a menstrual-related...uh...thingy.

Mjcpr
8/2/2006, 11:29 AM
'Cause...see...that's a reference to a menstrual-related...uh...thingy.

We'll take your word for it, lady.

1stTimeCaller
8/2/2006, 11:29 AM
:les: A MOUSE!!!

GottaHavePride
8/2/2006, 11:57 AM
No Wisenheimer's (Norm's word)! :mad:

Why do you hate the Three Stooges?

BeetDigger
8/2/2006, 12:02 PM
See, I knew this thread had a lot more play in her. Well done.

BeetDigger
8/2/2006, 12:03 PM
Oh it's not that bad, couple of years ago this couple hired me to renovate their bathroom. and by renovate I mean, gut. the. bastard. to. the. studs/stringers/rafters.
I replaced the sheetrock, replaced 6 or 8 wallstuds, and due to leaking plumbing I had to replace the flooring which ended up being a big pain in the ***, also put up durock(for tile)and installed new shower tiles with new sliding shower door, ran new pipes(with a plumber present to supervise)set a new tub/commode/sink and counter top.
Also put up new wallboards and wallpaper. That. job. sucked. dog. balls.

Oh, and one last thing...if you DO do it yourself..use treated wood.

You know, with just one or two minor modifications and this post could be from a Doctor talking about a sex change operation. Re-read it and you will see what I mean. :texan:

BudSooner
8/2/2006, 12:23 PM
You know, with just one or two minor modifications and this post could be from a Doctor talking about a sex change operation. Re-read it and you will see what I mean. :texan:
Not unless the person was a 100yr old house that had water/termite damage.
I get yer point, trust me when I say this...that was a week long "operation" that I will NEVAR do again...for any amount of money.

Oh, and throw in that I had to do foundation repair..nothing like crawling on your belly thru where termites/spiders and the creepy crawlies live.