PDA

View Full Version : Wyatt to SDSU?

GDC
12/31/2005, 09:18 AM

OU Notebook: Wyatt leaving?
By JOHN E. HOOVER AND GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writers
12/31/2005

View in Print (PDF) Format

It appears Oklahoma wide receivers coach / passing game coordinator Darrell Wyatt may soon be joining Chuck Long's staff at San Diego State as the Aztecs' offensive coordinator.

Just before Thursday night's Holiday Bowl, Long said he had "no interest" in taking assistants from OU's staff, but a source in San Diego said it could happen early next week.

Asked Friday morning if he planned to talk to Wyatt about coming aboard, Long simply said, "I can't talk about it right now."

Wyatt's departure would be a blow on two fronts. He has gotten proven results from his wideouts since joining Bob Stoops' staff in 2002 -- '05 OU graduates Mark Clayton, Mark Bradley and Brandon Jones are all contributing in the NFL -- and he is one of Stoops' most valuable recruiters.

Gutierrez gone: Running back Jacob Gutierrez left San Diego on crutches after tearing a ligament in his left knee covering a kickoff Thursday. He will have surgery to repair the injury.

Last Oct. 29, Gutierrez dislocated his elbow while covering a kickoff at Nebraska.

"I've been running with the football all my life," he said, "and it's kickoffs that are killing me."

Medical center: Freshman center Jon Cooper, who suffered

a dislocation and break of his right ankle at Texas Tech Nov. 19, may return in time for spring practice. At least in some capacity.

"We'll be smart in how much he'll do. That'll be one of those situations that depends on how he's feeling," Stoops said. "We know he's a good player. We're not going to take a chance on him getting hurt. But if he's ready to go, he'll go."

Stoops said sophomore cornerback Marcus Walker would have another offseason surgery to repair the shoulder Walker injured in preseason and tried to play through.

Maybe next year: There was a lot of preseason talk that the Sooners would involve running back Adrian Peterson in the passing game. Turns out that's all it was.

Peterson's 8-yard reception Thursday night marked his first catch since OU's second game of the year, against Tulsa Sept. 10. Peterson dropped what should have been a second catch midway through the second quarter, when Kevin Wilson called a blitz-beating delayed middle screen that could have gone for big yardage had Peterson held on.

Next year, with Runnels and Jones (who made a combined 30 receptions in '05) gone, Peterson may automatically become OU's most viable pass-catching option out of the backfield.

Many sad returns: In his final Sooner appearance, Jejuan Rankins returned four Oregon punts for 44 yards Thursday.

The contribution was nice, but the fact that it represented a season-high yardage total underscores the dropoff OU has suffered since losing Bradley, Clayton and Antonio Perkins.

Besides their punt return slump, the Sooners reached 100 yards on kickoff returns in just two games all season (an even 100 against Kansas State, and 126 on eight returns against Texas). OU's longest kickoff return was Reggie Smith's 43-yarder at UCLA Sept. 17.

GDC
12/31/2005, 09:22 AM
:texan:

Sorry, Texas: OU's season not that bad
By DAVE SITTLER World Sports Writer
12/31/2005

SAN DIEGO -- It was during a visit to the world-famous San Diego Zoo earlier this week that Bob Stoops saw a T-shirt in a well-known color.

But it wasn't the burnt orange tinge of the shirt, which was obviously worn by a Texas football fan, that caught Stoops' attention. Instead, it was the message.

"It said, 'Poop On Stoops,' " Stoops said. "My family thought it was pretty funny. So did I."

Stoops chuckled when he told that story to a couple of media members the day before the Holiday Bowl. Now, after his Oklahoma team edged Oregon 17-14 in Thursday's game at Qualcomm Stadium, the Sooners' coach has all the more reason to smile.

And to deservedly have the well-earned last laugh.

Texas supporters weren't the only ones who spent most of the season doing to Stoops and his players what that T-shirt suggested. Plenty of pundits, along with a good-sized number of OU supporters also know as frontrunning bandwagon fans, dumped a lot of criticism on Stoops and the Sooners when they stumbled out of the 2005 gate with a 2-3 start.

Some, of course, were like Texas fans. They watched in glee as OU and Stoops fell from the lofty perch they had occupied throughout most of Stoops' first six seasons in Norman.

FROM B-3 When OU has defeated your team five consecutive seasons like the Sooners had the Longhorns, you tend to create slogans that express your opinion of what should happen to a coach that has dominated Bevo's Boys.

But there were plenty of others who questioned everything from Stoops' demeanor to quarterback Rhett Bomar's reputation. OU's coach was too surly and Bomar was overrated said those who predicted the demise of OU as a national-title contending program as we've come to know it under Stoops.

Did you happen to hear that loud gulp and gasp shortly after OU had upset the sixth-ranked Ducks? It was those who had taken their best shot at Stoops and his program and realized they had incorrectly predicted a bleak future for the Sooners.

OU's win over an Oregon team that was 10-1 and ranked fifth in the BCS poll will eventually go down as the night a whole bunch of young Sooners grew up.

OU started only three seniors on defense. And the offense is overflowing with underclassmen who proved against the Ducks that they are ready for prime time.

Remember "The Triplets," that nickname many schools use when they have a trio of talented players? Well, in Bomar, tailback Adrian Peterson and receivers Juaquin Iglesias, Malcolm Kelly and Manuel Johnson, the OU will have an offense next season that features "The Sooner Quintet."

All these young guns needed was a confidence-boosting signature performance like they produced against Ducks. They had to prove to themselves that they wouldn't let their youth be their downfall like it had been so often this season.

The immediate impact of what they accomplished in the bowl game will be reflected in the polls. The Sooners should be ranked in the Top 20 when the final rankings are released next week, and should be at least in that range when the 2006 preseason polls come out in August.

Ah, yes, 2006. My, how different next season suddenly looks after a few bowl games. The Big 12, which many of us predicted would fall flat on its face mask in the postseason, is an outstanding 4-1 with three teams yet to play.

So perhaps the Big 12 will be more competitive next fall than many of us thought. That is yet to be determined, because so much depends on recruiting, new coaches and the number of seniors each team losses.

But one thing was determined in the Holiday Bowl -- Texas isn't going to run away and hide with the league title next season as many suggested.

We'll have to wait awhile to see how the rest of the Big 12 shapes up, but it's now obvious that OU has matured and improved to the point that it will contend with Texas for the South Division title.

The Longhorns hadn't planned on such a sudden change of events. After finally breaking that five-game losing streak against OU this season, they figured their turn had come to start a similar streak because the Sooners were so young.

"I don't think you can call us freshmen anymore," said Kelly of the bevy of true and redshirt freshmen who made significant contributions against the Ducks.

To which Stoops added: "We have a great group of young guys that are capable of becoming very, very good."

To which some folks in burnt orange T-shirts said: "Oh, poop."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave Sittler 581-8312
[email protected]

jreed13
12/31/2005, 09:27 AM
NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

RacerX
12/31/2005, 09:44 AM
Wyatt....crap.

jdsmith
12/31/2005, 09:57 AM
haven't been impressed with the latest round of receivers. sure there are 1 or 2 that have stood out, but nothing like we had in 00-01-02. Perhaps a new coach would be good.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/31/2005, 12:42 PM
haven't been impressed with the latest round of receivers. sure there are 1 or 2 that have stood out, but nothing like we had in 00-01-02. Perhaps a new coach would be good.

have you been impressed with peterson and bomar? he's the reason they are here...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/31/2005, 12:42 PM
oh, and about the story, wonder what happened to hayes...

Rhino
12/31/2005, 12:48 PM
Maybe something to the NFL playoffs/college football recruiting overlap?

Tailwind
12/31/2005, 12:54 PM
Nice story GDC! About Wyatt....we'll see. Did we not expect something like this when we knew Long was going?

OklahomaTuba
12/31/2005, 01:36 PM
That would suck.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/31/2005, 03:24 PM
yeah but the bengals might be out as soon as this next weekend right?

SoonerMooner
12/31/2005, 03:48 PM
The loss of Wyatt would hurt only because he is a hellacious recruiter.

OUGreg723
12/31/2005, 03:55 PM
I HATE CHUCK LONG!!

WHY WOULD WYATT WANT TO LEAVE??? WOULD HE BE OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR AT SDSU!! this is sooo sad...if true....

oumartin
12/31/2005, 04:40 PM
he's already gone.. announcement soon.

BASSooner
12/31/2005, 05:06 PM
hmmm can BJW coach receivers?

bigdsooner
12/31/2005, 05:16 PM
FU*K, get yer own coaches chuck:mad:

BASSooner
12/31/2005, 05:20 PM
who are some candidates?

OUGreg723
12/31/2005, 06:12 PM
WWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHYYYYYY!?!?!?!

UTisLousy
12/31/2005, 06:31 PM
I'm starting to really dislike Chuck Long more and more each day.

Catch 22
12/31/2005, 09:23 PM
I heard Kevin Sumlin might be going too. anyone? anyone care?

King Crimson
12/31/2005, 09:40 PM
talking with my uncle who is a longtime HS coach in Oklahoma and Texas, played for OU in the late 60's....and says of the most recent coaches clinics he's been to at OU that Wyatt was one of the more impressive young coaches he's seen.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/31/2005, 11:52 PM
this may be a little controversial, but stoops has yet to promote a black assistant to coordinator. maybe they think they need to leave to get to the next level...

yermom
1/1/2006, 12:36 AM
well, is he out of brothers and childhood buddies? ;)

SoonerMooner
1/1/2006, 12:37 AM
Not to mention the fact that Stoops has never promoted a parapalegic, left-handed, buddhist monk to a coordinator position either. I bet they would have to leave OU as well to get promoted.:rolleyes:

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/1/2006, 12:47 AM
if sumlin moves into the passing game coordinator position, i'll stand corrected. however, he has hired/promoted a coordinator 5 times.

TXBOOMER
1/1/2006, 01:14 AM

MK, JI and MJ are the best three true freshman WR's that I have ever seen on one team. At no time, have we had true freshaman WR's this talented. Wyatt is an outstanding recruiter and a great coach. I hope he stays right where he is at.

TXBOOMER
1/1/2006, 01:18 AM
this may be a little controversial, but stoops has yet to promote a black assistant to coordinator. maybe they think they need to leave to get to the next level...

I see your point. But, I would rather be the WR coach at OU than the OC at SDSU. Coach Wyatt will get his chance here if he is the best man for the job when the position is available. I think he believes that.

Readyfor8
1/1/2006, 02:35 AM

You are an idiot. We just graduated the overall best group of recievers that the University of Oklahoma has ever seen. Fagan, Savage, and even Woolfolk were spectacular, but if they had 3 years under Wyatt they would be playing Sunday's now.

He is a great coach and will be missed, sorry to see him go. But, I expect many more coaching shakeups all over the College Ranks as soon as the NFL Coaches all pan out.

BASSooner
1/1/2006, 04:05 AM
sooooooooooo that's it???? Wyatt is gone???

GDC
1/10/2006, 08:51 AM
Nope, at least not to SDSU.

OU assistant turns down Long's offer
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
1/10/2006

Oklahoma assistant football coach Darrell Wyatt has turned down Chuck Long's offer to become offensive coordinator at San Diego State, but it remains unclear if Wyatt will stay at OU or pursue other options -- perhaps in the NFL.

Wyatt did not return messages left on his cell phone Monday, but Long confirmed that "Darrell is out" of consideration to join him at San Diego State.

"He just couldn't do it," Long said.

After four years as OU's offensive coordinator and six seasons as a Sooner assistant, Long was hired as the Aztecs' head coach on Dec. 17.

Wyatt joined the OU staff in 2002 and has been passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach under Long. He has tutored record-breaking receivers during four seasons in Norman.

Perhaps more importantly, Wyatt is a dynamic recruiter, instrumental is the Sooners' signing of many top players, including running back Adrian Peterson.

Last February, Wyatt, 38, turned down a job offer from the Green Bay Packers. But, with high coaching turnover among NFL teams this season, he has been reported as a candidate for a handful of openings.

Wyatt said last year that the NFL is "football at it's highest level,

but there's also a lot of enjoyment at our level, and a lot of enjoyment at the levels below us. I never want to try to get too far ahead of myself. There are some coaches that will say, 'I never want to coach in the NFL,' or, 'I never want to coach here.' I'm not one to say that. I started coaching football at Trinity Valley (Texas) Junior College. You just continue to work hard, and if you get opportunities, and if it's an opportunity you want to pursue, then you go that direction."

Long distance: Long, who was born in Norman and whose parents are OU alumni, said his mother and father "are excited about" his first head coaching job, even if that means his leaving their favorite school.

"I think they see it as, 'Hey, we can go down to San Diego.' I think they like that," Long said. "I know being an OU grad, my dad will still come to Oklahoma games. He has season tickets, so he wouldn't care where I was."

Sooner commitment: OU received its 25th verbal commitment on Sunday when defensive lineman Adrian Taylor of Mansfield, Texas, pledged. Taylor (6-4, 260) played defensive end in high school but could project as a tackle.

Taylor told recruiting service Scout.com that he chose OU over Texas A&M and UCLA.

Verbal commitments are nonbinding. Prospects can't sign letters of intent until the first day of the spring signing period, which this year is Feb. 1.

OU hopes to sign as many as four more high school players. The NCAA limit on initial scholarships is 25, but schools frequently oversign knowing some will not qualify academically and some may play elsewhere.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John E. Hoover 581-8384
[email protected]

CtheB
1/10/2006, 09:00 AM
I've been hearing that the Chiefs are a bigger threat to take Wyatt than SDSU.

Harry Beanbag
1/10/2006, 09:05 AM
There's another rumor about the Vikings. If he does leave, Art Kehoe should be the first guy Bob calls.

The Consumate Showman
1/10/2006, 09:28 AM
There's another rumor about the Vikings. If he does leave, Art Kehoe should be the first guy Bob calls.

Didn't Art get fired by Cocker at Miami???

Harry Beanbag
1/10/2006, 09:36 AM
Yes.

n8v_ndn
1/10/2006, 11:31 AM
That's how I'm hoping for, Kehoe, but I also hope Coach Wyatt stays, our young WRs could use as much time w/ him as possible.

jreed13
1/10/2006, 11:47 AM
Wyatt is our best recruiter. I repeat, Wyatt is our best recruiter

NormanPride
1/10/2006, 11:56 AM
No Wyatt = Sad NP

Sooner in Tampa
1/10/2006, 12:06 PM
I honestly hope that Wyatt stays...but there is not one coach who is make or break for OUr staff...with the exception maybe of Bob.