PDA

View Full Version : Ok, half of Oklahoma is on fire right now

Norm In Norman
12/27/2005, 11:55 PM
My wife the boy and I got home around 9:15 or so and my wife saw on CNN.com that Mustang is on fire right now. I assume the fire must be pretty big since it's made national news. So 15 minutes ago my inlaws call to tell me they are OK and they staying at a hotel right now. Come to find out, there is a huge fire in Seminole too and it has spread to within a mile of their house. Then they tell me that the path it has travelled went right through where my aunt and uncle live. In fact, I just visited there for the first time in years yesterday. I keep calling them but all I get is a busy signal.

Now my wife is saying that Wewoka is being evacuated. I wonder if this is related to the arosonist(s) that set the church on fire a couple of days ago (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58026). If so, I hope the culprits are caught and lynched.

Sooner_Bob
12/27/2005, 11:57 PM
We just drove home from Weatherford and saw the big grass fire west of OKC.

I hadn't heard about the fires down near Seminole, but did hear about the church getting burnt. I had a couple of cousins who were married there.

sanantoniosooner
12/27/2005, 11:59 PM
too many hillbillies lighting farts.

Viking Kitten
12/28/2005, 12:03 AM
I watched the local news tonight, and I was saddened to see that the family who... uh... lost their horse earlier this year may have been one of the Mustang families who lost their home today.

Norm In Norman
12/28/2005, 12:04 AM
You've got to be kidding me.

GDC
12/28/2005, 12:52 AM
I'm watching War of the Worlds right now, coincidence? Any reports of tripods?

Soonerpsycho
12/28/2005, 12:58 AM
http://www.texasescapes.com/TexasTowns/PutnamTexas/PutnamWaterTower1203EricWhetstone.jpg

Okla-homey
12/28/2005, 01:08 AM
My mom was headed home to Ardmore from here in Tulsa this afternoon and got stuck on 35 near Pauls Valley by a big honkin' grassfire. She'd been sitting there not moving on the interstate for an hour and a half when she called me to vent about it.

It is so dry statewide now, and with this wind, any numbnutz who flicks a ciggy out the window while driving oughtta be hung up by his pinky toes.

yermom
12/28/2005, 01:17 AM
i've got an alibi this time

GDC
12/28/2005, 01:27 AM
It is so dry statewide now, and with this wind, any numbnutz who flicks a ciggy out the window while driving oughtta be hung up by his pinky toes.

And today I saw a fireworks stand open for business.

proud gonzo
12/28/2005, 01:48 AM
heh

proud gonzo
12/28/2005, 01:50 AM
My mom was headed home to Ardmore from here in Tulsa this afternoon and got stuck on 35 near Pauls Valley by a big honkin' grassfire. She'd been sitting there not moving on the interstate for an hour and a half when she called me to vent about it.

Levicorpus!

Norm In Norman
12/28/2005, 06:35 PM
UPDATE (since you guys are so interested): I finally contacted my other aunt. The fire went right through my aunt and uncle's place and burned everything down except the house. Luckily their grass was kept short and some of the other family was there with water hoses and they saved the house (keep in mind this is out in the middle of the country). They did lose an old shack that was by their house and their well house. Their insurance is paying for them to stay in a motel until electricity and phone are restored. Evidently all the telephone poles within a couple of miles are burnt to the ground.

3 of my wife's sister's husband's cousins' houses burned to the ground and none of them had insurance.

Norm In Norman
12/28/2005, 06:37 PM
PS - I'm going to go out and grill some burgers now.

sooner_born_1960
12/28/2005, 06:38 PM
Ain't those your wife's cousins too?

soonerbrat
12/28/2005, 06:40 PM
dang..glad to hear they didn't lose their house, Norm...

sooner_born_1960
12/28/2005, 06:42 PM
PS - I'm going to go out and grill some burgers now.
:D

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/28/2005, 06:44 PM
Levicorpus!

did you get one of these (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005NEBW/ref=pm_dp_ln_t_1/104-0209906-0355100?v=glance&s=toys) for xmas?

JohnnyMack
12/28/2005, 06:47 PM

How can I help you?
http://www.jonsaintgermain.com/images/jeremy.jpg

Norm In Norman
12/28/2005, 06:48 PM
Ain't those your wife's cousins too?
I meant husband's. Eh.

Norm In Norman
12/28/2005, 06:49 PM
dang..glad to hear they didn't lose their house, Norm...
Yeah, same here. It's like all I have to do is go to someone's house and something bad happens.

Scott D
12/28/2005, 06:51 PM
Yeah, same here. It's like all I have to do is go to someone's house and something bad happens.

any way we can talk you into visiting Stanley? ;)

soonerbrat
12/28/2005, 06:56 PM

well stay away from my house.

my renter's insurance just lapsed.

Soonerpsycho
12/28/2005, 06:57 PM
My brother lives two or three miles west of the grass fires in Mustang. I called him yesterday to see if he was all right, and he was like "uh, what grass fire?" :rolleyes:

Norm In Norman
12/28/2005, 06:59 PM
And the mustang one is all they've talked about.

Sooner_Bob
12/28/2005, 07:30 PM
UPDATE (since you guys are so interested): I finally contacted my other aunt. The fire went right through my aunt and uncle's place and burned everything down except the house. Luckily their grass was kept short and some of the other family was there with water hoses and they saved the house (keep in mind this is out in the middle of the country). They did lose an old shack that was by their house and their well house. Their insurance is paying for them to stay in a motel until electricity and phone are restored. Evidently all the telephone poles within a couple of miles are burnt to the ground.

3 of my wife's sister's husband's cousins' houses burned to the ground and none of them had insurance.

Where was this? Between Seminole and Wewoka??

TopDaugIn2000
12/28/2005, 10:47 PM

yup, we all watched it from work yesterday. It was just south of PV.
met NUMEROUS fire trucks while on my way home

Norm In Norman
12/28/2005, 11:20 PM
Where was this? Between Seminole and Wewoka??
If you are familiar with Seminole, it started at the Mikasuki Mission (between Seminole and Bowlegs on 99, if memory serves), then went as far as Sportsman's Lake (from what I've heard). My uncle lives between Harvey Road and Old 99, about a mile away from 270. Evidently that whole area is gone.

Do you have family there?

Sooner_Bob
12/28/2005, 11:29 PM
If you are familiar with Seminole, it started at the Mikasuki Mission (between Seminole and Bowlegs on 99, if memory serves), then went as far as Sportsman's Lake (from what I've heard). My uncle lives between Harvey Road and Old 99, about a mile away from 270. Evidently that whole area is gone.

Do you have family there?

Dang, that was one big fire.

I know the area well. Mom and dad live in Wolf.

Mrs. Norm
12/28/2005, 11:38 PM
Dang, that was one big fire.

I know the area well. Mom and dad live in Wolf.
Yes, this is Norm's wife. :) I lived in Wolf from the ages of 4-7. I still have family that live there. Most people have no idea where that is. I don't think any of the fires went that direction. Have you heard?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/28/2005, 11:42 PM
are you going to kill independent norm?

Sooner_Bob
12/28/2005, 11:46 PM
Yes, this is Norm's wife. :) I lived in Wolf from the ages of 4-7. I still have family that live there. Most people have no idea where that is. I don't think any of the fires went that direction. Have you heard?

My dad went to school at Wolf and then Bowlegs.

I guess I should call mom and check. Seems like I remember Norm mentioning you living out that way and having family there.

Ask them if they knew Doug Villines. He was my great-uncle and ran the small gas station in Wolf until he died in the late 80's. My dad's name is Bob.

Mrs. Norm
12/28/2005, 11:46 PM
are you going to kill independent norm?
Absolutely not. I'll be so quiet most of the time people won't even notice that I'm here. ;)

Mrs. Norm
12/28/2005, 11:51 PM
My dad went to school at Wolf and then Bowlegs.

I guess I should call mom and check. Seems like I remember Norm mentioning you living out that way and having family there.

Ask them if they knew Doug Villines. He was my great-uncle and ran the small gas station in Wolf until he died in the late 80's. My dad's name is Bob.
I will ask. My family, who I haven't spoken to in many years, is the Stanberry's. They are the "rowdy" people who have gotten into nothing but trouble ever since I can remember.

Sooner_Bob
12/28/2005, 11:56 PM
I will ask. My family, who I haven't spoken to in many years, is the Stanberry's. They are the "rowdy" people who have gotten into nothing but trouble ever since I can remember.

The name sounds familiar . . . I'll ask dad about 'em.

OUTromBoNado
12/29/2005, 03:11 AM
FYI, I think the last 6 months of 2005 are going down as one of the driest "last 6 months" out of any years that weather records have been kept (at least in NE OK).

It was interesting yesterday at work. We could see the big smoke plumes on the weather radars. The one near Holdenville showed really well. In fact, that fire actually showed up on a shortwave infrared satellite imagery. For those of you that are not meteorologists, that's pretty insane to have a grassfire show up as a thermal hotspot on a weather satellite orbiting 22,000 miles away.

TopDaugIn2000
12/29/2005, 09:34 AM
PV smelled like smoke this morning as we rolled in. And it's not from "Punkin's" either.

GDC
12/29/2005, 09:37 AM
They should shut down every one of those fireworks stnds before more people lose their homes and/or lives.:mad:

Fugue
12/29/2005, 09:40 AM
You all be careful down there. Scary schtuff.

JohnnyMack
12/29/2005, 10:01 AM
They should shut down every one of those fireworks stnds before more people lose their homes and/or lives.:mad:

I know. WTF are they thinking anyway?

Okla-homey
12/29/2005, 10:04 AM

Why do you hate sacred holiday celebrations?

TopDaugIn2000
12/29/2005, 10:04 AM
WTF are they thinking anyway?

$$$$$$$$$$$$

Norm In Norman
12/29/2005, 10:53 AM
Well, Mrs. Norm's dad called this morning and said the smoke is thick around his house again today. I guess the fires are flaring up again.

Okla-homey
12/29/2005, 11:09 AM
Well, Mrs. Norm's dad called this morning and said the smoke is thick around his house again today. I guess the fires are flaring up again.

damn roman candles.

Flagstaffsooner
12/29/2005, 11:53 AM
Sorry to hear about those fires my Sooner pals. Welcome to my world. We in the West deal with that every summer 'cept we use wood not grass. F'n hillbillies.;)

Rhino
12/29/2005, 05:18 PM
LilSooner and I went to Prague today and there was a good section of highway that was completely engulfed in smoke around Seminole.

Viking Kitten
12/29/2005, 05:19 PM
Why do you hate the Czech Republic?

JohnnyMack
12/29/2005, 05:29 PM
Why do you hate the Czech Republic?

Meh.

Viking Kitten
12/29/2005, 05:38 PM
Meh.

Suck it. :)

RiddlerOK
12/30/2005, 01:09 AM
My brother lives two or three miles west of the grass fires in Mustang. I called him yesterday to see if he was all right, and he was like "uh, what grass fire?" :rolleyes:

Yup, we were watching the news and looked out the patio door and saw the smoke. It was a little uncomfortable in these parts for about 3-4 hours.

sanantoniosooner
12/30/2005, 07:14 AM
tuesday night we were driving up and passed through some smoke off I-35. I can't remember quite where it was at.

Sooner_Bob
12/30/2005, 11:36 AM
Mom said the fires were as close as 3 miles to their house . . . luckily it moved further away by the second half of the game.

I'm afraid to go back down that way to see all the destruction. She said their church was being used as a shelter for folks who lost their homes.

Pray for rain . . .

FirstandGoal
1/1/2006, 05:43 PM
*bump*

It's kinda looking scary out there. Had a big one just a couple miles from my house.
Damn idiots and their fireworks last nite.

SoonerInKCMO
1/1/2006, 06:57 PM

Man, Stanberry sounds awfully familiar. I'll have to remember to ask the folks (who are from Seminole) if they know them the next time I talk with them.

afs
1/1/2006, 08:12 PM
Thanks Oklahoma, now Eastern New Mexico is on fire. There's a three reported fires east of Roswell at Tatum, and fires in and around the Hobbes area. The news stations are recommending evacuations at the local college and several nursing homes.

RacerX
1/1/2006, 08:14 PM
We encountered some pretty thick smoke on Turner coming home from Tulsa last night.

IB4OU2
1/1/2006, 08:17 PM
We had to take an alternate route home from Norman to Perkins tonight due to all the wildfires in Guthrie and the closure of I-35.

Jerk
1/1/2006, 08:50 PM
Fox News is now saying there is a major fire near Muskogee and they may evacuate the city.

JohnnyMack
1/1/2006, 09:16 PM
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/060101/060101_okfires_hmed6p.hmedium.jpg

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/060101/060101_fires_hmed7p.hmedium.jpg

GDC
1/1/2006, 11:09 PM
Fox News is now saying there is a major fire near Muskogee and they may evacuate the city.

I smell smoke.

OklahomaTuba
1/1/2006, 11:21 PM
Smell smoke in Owasso.

IB4OU2
1/1/2006, 11:22 PM
Smell smoke in Owasso.

Use more lubricant.......

JohnnyMack
1/1/2006, 11:22 PM
I smoke out in Owasso.

You naughty boy. ;)

OklahomaTuba
1/1/2006, 11:23 PM
Only pussies use lubricant.

OklahomaTuba
1/1/2006, 11:24 PM
You naughty boy. ;)

Sooner_Bob
1/2/2006, 12:43 AM
Thanks Oklahoma, now Eastern New Mexico is on fire. There's a three reported fires east of Roswell at Tatum, and fires in and around the Hobbes area. The news stations are recommending evacuations at the local college and several nursing homes.

NM is always on fire somewhere . . .

OUTromBoNado
3/2/2006, 01:36 AM
bump

SOONER44EVER
3/2/2006, 01:46 AM
My in-laws live in Comanche just south of Duncan. They said there are fires everywhere down there. I heard on the local news that they arrested 2 people for intentionally setting several fires.

SOONER44EVER
3/2/2006, 01:51 AM
Record-breaking heat, wind fuel Okla. fireROCHELLE HINESAssociated PressOKLAHOMA CITY - Grass fires raged across Oklahoma on Wednesday, injuring two firefighters, destroying homes and forcing evacuations of schools and businesses, authorities said.
The largest fires burned in Stephens County in southwestern Oklahoma, where two volunteer firefighters suffered severe burns battling a blaze that was at least eight miles long. Their conditions were not immediately available.
"They got trapped and were overcome by fire and severely burned," said Sam Darst, spokesman for the city of Duncan, the county seat.
At least six homes burned Wednesday evening near Meridian, where the blaze destroyed several structures and forced the evacuation of a nursing home, Darst said.
One fire near Empire prompted authorities to evacuate Empire and Liberty schools, a technical center and a distribution facility, Darst said.
"At one time, the Empire school football field was on fire, but they did get it out," Darst said. "They released the kids to go home."
About 1,000 people had to leave the Halliburton Technical Center and the Family Dollar Distribution Center, he said, and at least 10,000 were without power in Duncan because the fires affected electricity transfer centers in the southern part of the city.
Four other fires burned in the Oklahoma City metropolitan area and blazes were reported near Chandler, Wagoner and Sallisaw in eastern Oklahoma, said Anna Payne, a state fire information officer.
"It's been a very active day today," Payne said. "We're asking people to remember there's a burn ban still in effect for Oklahoma, and tomorrow is expected to be about the same."
A Red Flag Fire warning remained in effect until late Wednesday for all but the Oklahoma Panhandle.
Lingering drought, winds of 20 to 25 mph with higher gusts and record-shattering warmth created favorable conditions for wildfires. Daytime highs reached the 80s and 90s, more than 20 degrees above average for March 1.
A fire burned Wednesday on parched grassland in northeast New Mexico, forcing a day-long evacuation of about 100 people in a small farming and ranching community. They were allowed back in the evening.
The fire, sparked by a downed power line, burned about 12,000 acres, but firefighters kept the fire from spreading into the community of Miami, said Dan Ware, state Forestry Division spokesman.

BudSooner
3/2/2006, 05:25 AM
Tulsa - Today's hot weather set records, but the additional high winds have fanned the flames of several grass fires, including some that have forced the shutdown of some major roadways.

One of those grass fires is located on Highway 51 near Keystone Dam. The Oklahoma Highway Patrol shut down the roadway about a mile east of the dam Wednesday afternoon.

Traffic there was being diverted onto county roads around the fire.

East of Tulsa, 31st Street between 209th to 213th in Wagoner County was closed as Broken Arrow fire officials battled a blaze there.

The fire started just east of 193rd East Avenue. Fire Captain Larry Bowles saysit's suspected a cigarette thrown from a car sparked the blaze.

Bowles says thanks to the high winds, the fire burned nearly a mile and a half east of that location before fire crews were able to get in front of the fire and get it stopped.

Bowles says the fire was brought under control once, but a power pole, which may have been compromised by the fire, fell, re-sparking the blaze that consumed a large barn structure.

There have been no injuries to firefighters or civilians. Bowles says firefighters from Tulsa, Broken Arrow, Catoosa Oak Grove and Rolling Hills battled the fire.

Today's temperature reached an incredible 92 degrees, shattering the record of 81 set in 1967.
http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0306/307088.html
Damn morons!!