PDA

View Full Version : For Those Who Thought We Wouldn't Miss Lavender and McKenzie

jdsooner
12/23/2005, 02:16 AM
You were wrong. Our guards are absolutely terrible and tonight we were a one man team.

NickZeppelin
12/23/2005, 03:43 AM
Considering both stunk on D they would have just made this game worse then it was.

Dave4OU
12/23/2005, 07:57 AM
Considering both stunk on D they would have just made this game worse then it was.

You are correct, WV guards were shooting over our guards anyway. Lavender would not have stood:D a chance

suncoastsooner7
12/23/2005, 07:57 AM
Dear God I agree with Nick, the apocolypse is upon us.

boomersoonerdude
12/23/2005, 09:10 AM
I really question this team ranking in the top 10. We beating up these small team and didn't really step up when we play against good team.

colleyvillesooner
12/23/2005, 09:48 AM
I really question this team ranking in the top 10. We beating up these small team and didn't really step up when we play against good team.

Don't worry, that ranking will soon disappear. :(

jk the sooner fan
12/23/2005, 09:49 AM
i think the guards are better individually....i just dont think this team has gel'd together yet, alot of new faces.......there's absolutely no chemistry on the team.....at least not that you can see on the court during the game

SoonerProphet
12/23/2005, 10:16 AM
what good is a solid frontcourt if you can't effectively pass to them.

NickZeppelin
12/23/2005, 11:04 AM
I liked how we played the last few games when we didn't shoot well. We showed good team work were passing it well. Had open shots, set screens well. Penetrated well and played as a team. Now WVU is more talented then those teams. But last night they didn't try to play team ball didn't set picks and screens. They didn't defend like Kelvin teams do. They didn't play OU basketball that simple really. Do you think having 2 small bodies would have helped any? We needed the guys we have to play well and they didn't.

colleyvillesooner
12/23/2005, 11:15 AM
i think the guards are better individually....i just dont think this team has gel'd together yet, alot of new faces.......there's absolutely no chemistry on the team.....at least not that you can see on the court during the game

yep, and you're dangerously close to 20,000.

Stanley1
12/23/2005, 11:40 AM
I think we'll be fine. Just taking longer to come together as a team than any of us had thought.

We all know what Gray, Bookout, and Everett can do. Neal has played decent enough. Godbold is steady. And I'm pretty sure Carter has yet to hit his stride either.

Beef
12/23/2005, 11:46 AM
Who's Miss Lavender and is she hawt?

jdsooner
12/23/2005, 12:05 PM
Could have used D'Angelo Alexander as well.

LSUdeek
12/23/2005, 12:05 PM
Don't get upset about losing to WV. They can't shoot 70% all of the time.

Scott D
12/23/2005, 12:18 PM
Don't get upset about losing to WV. They can't shoot 70% all of the time.

nah just most of the time

MI Sooner
12/23/2005, 12:21 PM
I think we were lucky to not be blown out worse. If WV was actually hot from 3-point range (8/20 on mostly wide-open looks) we get beat by 35. They didn't shoot poorly from outside, but it seems like the only times they didn't score in the second half was when a wide-open 3 bounced off the back iron.

As for Everett, he seems to be a lot like Nolan Johnson, which is to say, spectacular at times, but usually pretty average (worse than average when playing point).

Sampson is a very good coach, and I was glad to see last night's game chapped his ***. I wish the game against Nova would have had the same effect. I seem to recall numerous comments about how, even though we lost, it was a good game to use as a measuring stick.

NickZeppelin
12/23/2005, 02:50 PM
Alexander may have given us another shooter. But he didn't like playing defense. That's why he quit.

jdsooner
12/23/2005, 03:09 PM
Hey guys, a 9 point win over tulsa, a 10 point win over coppin, a 14 point win over southern, and a 24 point loss at the Ford Center to west virginia says one thing: we're not very good right now. We do not have any shooters on this team, and I didn't see any good ball handlers last night either. It is sad that we are so strong inside and have nothing else.

jk the sooner fan
12/23/2005, 03:20 PM
the one positive thing i took from last nite is that perhaps Gray stepped up to be the undisputed leader of this team

thats a start

jdsooner
12/23/2005, 03:40 PM
Gray played awesome! What happened to Michael Neal in the second half? 16 first half points; 0 second half points!

NickZeppelin
12/23/2005, 03:43 PM
Taj Gray happened. Taj scored like 20 points in the 2nd half.

tanjou
12/23/2005, 04:29 PM
The key to all our games this season looks to be 3 pointers. We need someone who can hit them; maybe Neal, but so far, he's not doing it. If we're up against a team who can hit them well (WVU), then we don't have an answer.

This needs to be fixed, fast.

Okieflyer
12/23/2005, 04:34 PM
It just breaks your heart.

NickZeppelin
12/23/2005, 04:57 PM
The 3's will eventually fall. Hell they fell early on last night. The problem is that they aren't getting in transition because they are playing bad defense. If we play better defense we'll get more points in transition and we'll score more.

OklahomaRed
12/23/2005, 05:55 PM
Hey guys, a 9 point win over tulsa, a 10 point win over coppin, a 14 point win over southern, and a 24 point loss at the Ford Center to west virginia says one thing: we're not very good right now. We do not have any shooters on this team, and I didn't see any good ball handlers last night either. It is sad that we are so strong inside and have nothing else.

And, WV made our man to man deffense look Junior High. What was up with that? I've never seen so many successful backdoor cuts since my son's 6th grade game.

:D

goingoneight
12/23/2005, 08:30 PM
I say we just are flat out overrated in B-Ball. Everyone worships Kelvin Sampson, when every big game is a choke-fest for him. C'mon... 92-68, that team wasn't even ranked... No wonder the Cow-Pokers laugh at out B-Ball team. They can beat us even in their worst year... It's frustrating to me that people get their hopes up about OU basketball. Do we not see this coming every year, no offense to die-hard sooner fans, but I do...

Sooner04
12/24/2005, 07:26 PM
Alexander may have given us another shooter. But he didn't like playing defense. That's why he quit.
Well, that and forgetting to take the name of the author off of the term paper he purchased over the Internet.

bigdsooner
12/24/2005, 08:00 PM
weve played 8 games people, just like the football team, they need time to gel. coach sampson will get em on the right track over the next month or two.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/24/2005, 08:05 PM
the problem with this team is that they fall in love with the 3 pointer. we remind me of those jayhawk teams we would beat 5 or 6 years ago. they had 2 all americans down low and would jack up 25 3's. we shouldn't be shooting a 3 unless its on a kickout.

the turning point of the game was in the 2nd half when we'd closed it to 5. we run an out of bounds play for michael neal. not taj, not book, but michael neal. a stupid double screen 3 that was defended well, but he still jacked it up. i about lost my TV on that dumb shot/set play.

sampson has always believed that you can't win without good guardplay. i agree except for one point, i don't think good guardplay is indicative of making 3 point shots. the reason we came back in that game was because they had no answer for taj and carter. neal is like mckenzie and lavendar, he has absolutely no idea how to throw the ball into the post when they even do a 1/4 denial.

our run was because johnson came in and they put everett on the free throw line and he was forced to give it up. that was the only way our bigs got the ball on the block. honestly, my daughter's 5th grade team plays smarter against a 1-3-1 than we did.

GDC
12/24/2005, 10:06 PM
I swear I was thinking the exact same thing (without jkm's knowledgeable details) when OU got within five and then started jacking up threes again.

Blue
12/25/2005, 01:46 AM
It just breaks your heart.

Ditto.

Bama should be a competitive game. They're choking all over the place too.

lubbocksooner
12/27/2005, 09:38 AM
Maybe I am wrong because it has been a long time since I played but the guards seemed to miss a several oppertunities to pass to Gray/Bookout down low. They are the money train, feed it to them instead of standing there waiting for a defender to come to you. Once they start making inside baskets they defense will keep on them then the three will be more open as will drives to the basket.

jdsooner
1/11/2006, 10:58 PM
We stunk against west virginia, we stunk against nebraska, and we stunk against missouri. After losing these players, Sampson was unable to find anyone to fill these holes. I really doubt that we will make the Big Dance this year.

NickZeppelin
1/11/2006, 11:03 PM
If we had McKenzie and Lavender we would be having the same problems now that we would still not be shooting the ball well and still have lost those 2 games. Especially with Lavender who played no role on the team after the KSU game.

jdsooner
1/11/2006, 11:04 PM
I seriously doubt we would have lost the two games with those two on the team.

NickZeppelin
1/11/2006, 11:13 PM
Maybe not with McKenzie but if Neal is healthy McKenzie isn't playing anyway. Lavender did nothing for our team last year especially late in the year when he went out of the lineup our team got better.

Scott D
1/12/2006, 05:47 PM
this thread is still funny....McKenzie an argument could be made for...Lavender, no argument can be made that would hold validity.

TopDawg
1/12/2006, 05:55 PM
I say we just are flat out overrated in B-Ball. Everyone worships Kelvin Sampson, when every big game is a choke-fest for him. C'mon... 92-68, that team wasn't even ranked... No wonder the Cow-Pokers laugh at out B-Ball team. They can beat us even in their worst year... It's frustrating to me that people get their hopes up about OU basketball. Do we not see this coming every year, no offense to die-hard sooner fans, but I do...

Just to be clear, are we all pretty much ignoring the above post based on its obvious ludicrosity?

jdsooner
1/12/2006, 06:12 PM
I guess it's not just the big games that are a choke-fest now!