PDA

View Full Version : Remember the good 'ol days....

Crimsontothecore
12/22/2005, 10:23 PM
When we thought Sampson was leaving after every season?
I have NEVER understood the offensive strategy under Sampson. Why do other teams run an offensive set that takes about 10 seconds while ours takes 25 seconds and then a guy being double covered has to make a desperate drive to the basket for a sloppy shot?
This is OU's offense: pass..pass..pass..pass...pass...pass....pass....pa ss...blocked shot.
pass...pass...pass...pass...pass...pass...pass...p ***...pass...pass...pass...pass...pass...Airball.P ***....pass....pass....pass....pass....pass....pas s....pass....pass....pass....pass...
stolen. GEEZ! How overated does OU look?

josh09
12/22/2005, 10:26 PM
sampson is a great coach. your crazy

royalfan5
12/22/2005, 10:29 PM
any of you that b****** about Sampson should be sentenced to having to watch season after season of Barry Collier coached teams. You guys have it a lot better than most.

snp
12/22/2005, 10:30 PM

He's not infallible, or even Stoops-like in the basketball world.. He's always been lacking in the offense. And now this year with all of his offensive talent he's doing bad. I agree that our offense is almost terrible to watch at times. At times there will be 3 guys standing still while 2 guys pass back and forth, and then nothing develops. It's frustrating.

He's usaully great defensively and he's not doing much of that this year either. And people, myself included, are just going to bitch even more this year.

Crimsontothecore
12/22/2005, 10:31 PM
He's a "good" coach at best. Definitely not championship caliber.

PrideTrombone
12/22/2005, 10:34 PM
Kelvin Sampson = Gary Gibbs.

The reason he's still around is that expectations of OU basketball aren't as high as for OU football.

Crimsontothecore
12/23/2005, 12:03 AM
Kelvin Sampson = Gary Gibbs.

The reason he's still around is that expectations of OU basketball aren't as high as for OU football.
I totally agree. When it comes to OU basketball, I find myself "hoping" we win as opposed to "expecting" to win. Think about it, We're ranked #8 and just got hammered in our backyard by an unranked team, But was anyone "shocked" at the loss as we were when TCU beat our football team back in September? nope! not at all.

NickZeppelin
12/23/2005, 12:11 AM
Kelvin Sampson has the best Win % of any OU BBall coach ever. Gary Gibbs wasn't close. Sampson will end his career with more wins more NCAA tournament appearances then Tubbs. It's not even gonna be close when all is said and done. Kelvin is a much better coach then Billy was. And Billy will be the first to tell you that.

OUGreg723
12/23/2005, 12:24 AM
I dont want to hear this crap. Sampson is a great coach, and a great person. He has won alot at OU with very little talent. Just wait until Scottie Reynolds and Damion James take the court next year. Then you'll see your offense. Bottom line is that our gaurds are not playing as well as they should be playing, and that is letting the whole team down. Kelvin will give OU at least 1 NC before he is done. Don't bad mouth Kelvin.

IronHorseSooner
12/23/2005, 12:54 AM
I agree that the NC will come with this recruiting class. Most likely by their junior seasons. This is a group of 5 very talented players who fill every position on the court, and who are multiple threat guys. The guards can shoot, and I believe that Reynolds will be a Hollis Price type player. A quality person who is equally talented on the court, a floor general. James is one of those players who can play any position. He will play the 3 and cause mismatch problems. If he plays the 4, then I think he will be misused. Let's not hope that these perimeter guys are not the dreaded type "who can really attack the glass." We need shooters and perimeter defenders, not front court players who play guard.

NickZeppelin
12/23/2005, 11:07 AM
I think we need athletic defenders first. Neal can shoot so can TE if he's comfortable. He just hasn't been comfrotable as a point. We need a PG and I think AJ can be that but he's hurt and he just shouldn't be playing right now.

MI Sooner
12/23/2005, 12:33 PM
My take on Sampson...

He's a very good coach, a tier below Izzo, Boeheim, Calhoun, et al. Despite a fair amount of success over the last 20 years, I still don't know how attractive the OU head coaching position is, so I think we'd have a tough time getting anyone better, unless Castiglione made a great find of a "diamond in the rough" young coach.

When you evaluate Sampson based on his overall success, he's been a remarkably good coach. The reason I (and seemlingly many others) tend to forget this at times is his weakness (IMO) is in the area most visible to fans. I don't think he's a great Xs and Os guy, or maybe he is but he just uses his limited practice and preparation time to emphasize other areas. You can't really argue with the overall results, but it's frustrating to see us unable to solve problems in-game (see Utah and WV as prime examples).

I'd be intersted in hearing anyone's thoughts about who the top Xs and Os/strategy coaches are. Knight (always liked his motion offense)? Boeheim and Chaney (play atypical defense, which causes confusion in players inexperienced in attacking a zone)?

soonervegas
12/23/2005, 12:59 PM
"I think we need athletic defenders first."

Hammer meet Nail.

The problem with this OU team is the defense. It has nothing, nothing to do with the offense. The two good team we have played have scored:

85 and 92.

Our D perimeter D us horrendous.

william_brasky
12/23/2005, 01:43 PM
I hate when the Sooners lose, but watching WVU play last night was some beautiful basketball.

BoomerJack
12/23/2005, 02:23 PM
Maybe Kevin Wilson and Josh Heupel can be co-offensive coordinators for Coach Sampson after the bowl game?

NickZeppelin
12/23/2005, 02:53 PM
I think our perimiter D for the Sooners needs to improve. But IMO against Nova they played well on defense Nova just has such athletic an good guards that they made plays on good defense. Nova could win it all this year with those guards. WVU won because OU just didn't play hard on defense.

the_ouskull
12/24/2005, 12:01 PM
Admittedly, Sampson's offense looks a Hell of a lot better when it's not facing a zone defense. Our teams have sh*t themselves lately in the face of a zone.

the_ouskull