PDA

View Full Version : OU's track record with secondary (and tertiary) targets

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/22/2005, 02:50 PM
this is an interesting phenomenon that i've noticed. when our primary target chooses elsewhere, we have had a pretty good record with the unknown secondary target behind him.

i guess the biggest example is bj johnson. our coaches wanted him badly. as badly as bri wants paris hilton to participate in the running of the bulls, wearing red. he chose texas so we dig and find an unknown guy named mark clayton. literally from the #1 recruit in the state of texas, the #1 WR nationally to some slow skinny kid who can't even make the top 100 players in texas.

selvin young. a running back that we missed on that signed with texas. our backup plan was jd runnells.

larry birdine/thibs - no, he they aren't stars, but they were the guy we signed when we couldn't land 5* #1 recruit brian pickryl. his career dwarfs the guy who will only be known as the guy who jumped offsides and gave us a 1st and goal in the 2002 RRS.

so, sometimes the secondary target has more potential than the primary target. our coaches tend to err on the side of athleticism which sometimes gets us in trouble.

critical_phil
12/22/2005, 02:59 PM
secondary targets....

tertiary targets......

is this a robert ludlum thread?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/22/2005, 03:05 PM
[bang] the last thing that went through jkm's head, besides that bullet, was how in the heck did phil jack that thread so quickly.

critical_phil
12/22/2005, 03:22 PM
i guess i could respond to the point at hand.

bj johnson was aptly named - except for the fact that he was a giant walking vagina. mark clayton, on the other hand, has balls so big he needs a wheel barrow while running patterns across the middle of the field. he may be my all time favorite sooner.

i've never been so happy to see someone fail as i was brian pickryl. and while tibs may be no star, i think birdine is.

jd went 100 mph on every down he ever played at OU. jd >>>>> selvin young.

the no-named guys were big in the past, i just wonder which of the guys on the current roster will turn out like some of the guys you named.

Harry Beanbag
12/22/2005, 03:54 PM
Since Texas got whoever they wanted in state this year, we seem to have quite a few of these guys coming in.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/22/2005, 04:17 PM
Since Texas got whoever they wanted in state this year, we seem to have quite a few of these guys coming in.

the last time that happened was 2002 and this was our class...

first_name last_name
Noah Allen
DaBryan Blanton
Trey DiCarlo
Abner Estrada
Micheal Hawkins
Jeff Lebby
Brodney Pool
Calvin Thibodeaux
Paul Thompson
Travis Wilson

Harry Beanbag
12/22/2005, 04:33 PM
the last time that happened was 2002 and this was our class...

first_name last_name
Noah Allen
DaBryan Blanton
Trey DiCarlo
Abner Estrada
Micheal Hawkins
Jeff Lebby
Brodney Pool
Calvin Thibodeaux
Paul Thompson
Travis Wilson

Ugh.

NickZeppelin
12/22/2005, 04:36 PM
Trey DiCarlo was a walk-on. I don't think he was apart of the 02 class.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/22/2005, 04:37 PM
he was given josh robert's scholarship when he didn't show up in the fall.

westcoast_sooner
12/22/2005, 04:44 PM
I guess that recruiting is really a crap-shoot when it comes to predicting who is going to hit, and who isn't. We've been able to get the most out of our talent, when it hasn't been the top class in the country, and hasn't been a bunch of 5 star guys.

Either that says that the guys who rank the kids coming out of HS aren't so bright, or that our coaches have done a great job in getting the kids ready to play, or both. I'd like to believe that our coaches are doing a great job, since we seemed to come together and play a lot better on offense as the season progressed.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/22/2005, 04:54 PM
I know recruiting ratings are overrated, but I am curious as to why Daniel Tabon isn't rated at all on rivals. Seems that service rates any guy that's more than knee-high to a wood tick. So at 6-3, 215, w/ posted 4.48 speed I can't imagine that they wouldn't cover the guy.

Any reason for this that you guys know of?

And from what you know since you follow it a lot closer than I do, is Tabon targeted as a Teddy Lehman sort of player at LB with that speed?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/22/2005, 05:11 PM
part of it was him transferring from lawton ike to altus last year. part of it was him not showing up on the radar until 3 weeks ago. the rest of it is that they don't want everyone in their database, just the targets of the schools that have profitable fan bases.

one thing that i like about insiders rankings is this new "strengths/weaknesses" thing they are doing for top players.

RedStripe
12/22/2005, 05:33 PM
Micheal Hawkins

What could have been:(

GDC
12/22/2005, 09:26 PM
What about quaternary targets?