PDA

View Full Version : was our new recruit not rated high enough?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/19/2005, 09:06 PM
:confused:

BillyBall
12/19/2005, 09:29 PM
Who are you referring to?

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/19/2005, 09:37 PM
Billy Mc2Star

Harry Beanbag
12/19/2005, 11:22 PM
I thought rankings didn't matter. :confused:

Actually, I have no idea who you're talking about. It appears Carter and Madu committed tonight, but Rivals doesn't have any official stories yet so...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/20/2005, 02:10 AM
its just we have watch threads for every prima donna on the planet, yet no one mentions madu or carter...

Harry Beanbag
12/20/2005, 09:07 AM
As of now, Rivals is still sitting on the stories. Did Hael brake tha news aganst the kids wishs alreddy?

jreed13
12/20/2005, 09:43 AM
I thought you were talking about Beal. Bama was the first to offer this kid and the bama journalist suggested that he move up in their rankings and low and behold he is now a four star. The kids film is really really good. Then he commited to OU... which is fine with me :D

jreed13
12/20/2005, 09:48 AM
its just we have watch threads for every prima donna on the planet, yet no one mentions madu or carter...

If its Quinton Carter your talking about then yes, i think hes underrated. He's a 6'2 corner that runs a 4.45. Thats really good. The only thing holding him back is that he plays in nevada... what sort of talent is there to play against in nevada...? My best friend rips on murray all the time saying that hes overrated and that anyone could do that against the scrub schools out in nevada. Carters numbers are unnoficial but murrays are from the combine so whether or not he plays scrubs, hes a physical specimin. Id imagine Carter to be the same.

Harry Beanbag
12/20/2005, 09:52 AM
OU is recruiting Carter as a Safety apparently.

Rhino
12/20/2005, 11:01 AM
Did Rivals pull the trigger too quickly on Madu?

He isn't on the list now (and he was last night) -- neither is Carter.

CrimsonHelmet
12/20/2005, 01:22 PM
"...what sort of talent is there to play against in nevada...?..."

Nevada football is notoriously bad.

First, it's too hot. Especially in September & October. Basketball is preferred since it's indoors, and like Southern California, they play baseball year round.

Second, population growth dilutes the talent. When I left Las Vegas in 1994, they were building one new high school, two middle schools, and three elementary schools, EACH YEAR. Carter's high school, Cheyenne, is less than 15 years old. The addition of new high schools diluted the available talent pool, in the same way that Norman North's addition hurt Norman. One would think more kids means more talent, but there's the problem of finding football coaches willing to build a program from scratch, and finding them every year as new schools are added.

Third, support. Football is not supported in Nevada as it is in other parts of the country. Any sport that's not well supported will struggle. Their high school football stadiums and attendance would equate to an Oklahoma 2-A school.

Fourth, Bishop Gorman. Gorman has been the football factory in Las Vegas for decades. As a private school, their rules are different. Best coaches, facilities, support, etc. And, they can recruit (and they do) from the Las Vegas public schools. If you are a public school player with D-1 aspirations, a scholarship offer from Gorman is difficult to turn down.

Very few players from Las Vegas ever make it big. The biggest so far was David Humm, who quarterbacked at Nebraska.

Doesn't mean it can't happen, just that the football heritage of a Nevada player differs significantly from that of a high schooler from Texas, Florida, Oklahoma, Ohio or Pennsylvania.

I forgot to add, they also play West Coast football out there. The ground game is something you do to kill time until your wide receivers can catch their breath for the next pass route.

NickZeppelin
12/20/2005, 01:38 PM
Madu will make his commitment official tonight on Channel 5. He's a Sooner.