PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Radio...Sports talk

SoonerGators
12/18/2005, 06:36 PM
I'm getting satellite radio for Christmas and was wondering if you guys had any recommendations. Sirius looks to have the best sports radio package with 24/7 NFL coverage and more college broadcasts, but I still wanted some opinions on what you think is better between XM and Sirius, as well as what receivers are good.

AustinTXHorn
12/18/2005, 07:16 PM
Really depends on what you like more. I have XM because I'm an MLB guy and I'm not real big into the NFL or NBA.

One thing that I like about XM is that it has ESPN Radio, ESPN News, Fox Sports Radio, and Sporting News Radio. I think Sirius only has ESPN Radio and ESPN News. XM also has the MLB channel.

College sports-wise, I'm not sure what Sirius carries besides the Big 12 but I know XM has Pac 10, Big 10, and ACC basketball and football.

GDC
12/18/2005, 08:22 PM
Shucks, us here hillbiliies aint got no high falutin outer space radio, guess you'll have to depend on our fine neighbors to the south to tell you all about it.

AllAboutThe'O'
12/18/2005, 11:20 PM
Really depends on what you like more. I have XM because I'm an MLB guy and I'm not real big into the NFL or NBA.

One thing that I like about XM is that it has ESPN Radio, ESPN News, Fox Sports Radio, and Sporting News Radio. I think Sirius only has ESPN Radio and ESPN News. XM also has the MLB channel.

College sports-wise, I'm not sure what Sirius carries besides the Big 12 but I know XM has Pac 10, Big 10, and ACC basketball and football.
Same here, I bought XM primarily because of the MLB package. I also like Sporting News Radio and the MLB channel on XM.
XM does have the Pac-10 and Big 10 but not all the teams. USC, UCLA, Ohio State and Michigan have separate deals with Sirius, but if they're playing a Pac 10 or Big 10 team that is under contract to XM, they pick up the feed of that team home or away. For instance, if Purdue's playing at Ohio State, you get the Purdue radio feed instead of the normal home team feed.
I don't live in Big 10, Pac-10 or ACC country, but I like listening to those games whenever I can (quick side note: the Florida State radio guy is the same guy that does the PA voice on the EA Sports' NCAA football games).
Speaking of video games, this kind of reminds me of the great Super Nintendo vs. Sega Genesis debate over a decade ago. People said that the Genesis had a better sports library, a la Sirius, but I preferred the Super Nintendo, a la XM. Really, you can't go wrong with either choice, but I haven't regretted my XM purchase, which has been close to a year now.

SoonerGators
12/19/2005, 12:48 AM
Good stuff, thanks for your input on everything! My biggest pro to XM was the fact that it had a walkman that could stream live XM feeds anywhere I went, and since I'm still a student that would be pretty beneficial to take to campus. Sirius doesn't have that type of receiver yet. On the other hand, Sirius has lots of NFL coverage and a deal with UF to cover their football and basketball games, which entices me as well. Hhmmm, I guess I'll have to sleep on it...

AllAboutThe'O'
12/19/2005, 01:04 AM
Good stuff, thanks for your input on everything! My biggest pro to XM was the fact that it had a walkman that could stream live XM feeds anywhere I went, and since I'm still a student that would be pretty beneficial to take to campus. Sirius doesn't have that type of receiver yet. On the other hand, Sirius has lots of NFL coverage and a deal with UF to cover their football and basketball games, which entices me as well. Hhmmm, I guess I'll have to sleep on it...
Just curious, do you attend UF? If you do, you really wouldn't need Sirius, because you could pick those games up on a number of local stations down there. I believe OU also has a contract with Sirius. But if I wanted to listen to a Sooner game, I've got a local station in town that broadcasts the Sooner games, so I get the best of both worlds, local coverage and out-of-area college games on XM.
Now that you mention it, I need to save up some dough to buy that XM walkman.:mad:

Sooner_Havok
12/19/2005, 01:23 AM
See, I have sirius and I love it. True, there is no live walkman type receiver, but from what I here, the XM to go thing can get pretty bad reception. Sports wise, unless you really love baseball, sirius is the way to go. While the only conference that it has completely is the ivy league, It does get a lot of other teams, (Oklahoma, Texas. Kansas, and a lot more) in all the good sports (football, basketball). Plus, the NFL sunday ticket is well worth the 10 bucks a month. I also like sirius' selection of music better to. But, this is just coming from one very happy sirius guy. But just so you know, my buddy has XM, every time I talk to him, he tells me how long till his subscription ends. He likes more rock than Hip Hop, so He hates is like fifteen rap channels and 6 rock channels. But it is all in ones taste I guess. Good luck!

SoonerGators
12/19/2005, 02:19 AM
Just curious, do you attend UF? If you do, you really wouldn't need Sirius, because you could pick those games up on a number of local stations down there. I believe OU also has a contract with Sirius. But if I wanted to listen to a Sooner game, I've got a local station in town that broadcasts the Sooner games, so I get the best of both worlds, local coverage and out-of-area college games on XM.
Now that you mention it, I need to save up some dough to buy that XM walkman.:mad:

No, I'm a student at OU. My second favorite team is the Gators though. My dad went there so I grew up liking them. Since I can rarely get TV coverage of any UF stuff, radio broacdcasts would be nice.

mrowl
12/19/2005, 09:59 AM
Sirius, cause of Big 12, SEC, Pac 10, Big 10, NFL coverage, NHL, NBA, Better music playlist, better sat coverage, Howard Stern, tivo for sirius, etc.