PDA

View Full Version : Gerald McCoy

okienole3
12/16/2005, 04:54 PM
Here is a new one, because jreed's punk *** got the last one locked.

Any chance at all we can get this guy. I can't believe someone in our own backyard is ranked that high on the USA Today overall list (I believe he was 4). JKM has made some good points about former top d-linemen in Oklahoma. Anyway, sounds like a great kid. At the very least, maybe he could be the next Jamaal Brown.

Scott D
12/16/2005, 07:39 PM
As I've said elsewhere....in locked threads and threads in other forums..

If I had to make an educated guess I would say 10% chance he goes to OU.

If I had to make a bet regarding his destination I'd put money on USC or ND.

PDXsooner
12/16/2005, 07:49 PM
scott d - what are you basing that on? gut feeling, or have you read stuff?

Scott D
12/16/2005, 08:13 PM
mostly gut feeling, but a little bit from stuff I've heard on tv in recent weeks regarding recruiting in a national sense.

mind you I'm not saying it's a virtual impossibility for him to sign with OU, just that I don't think it's likely.

Widescreen
12/16/2005, 08:49 PM
Sucks to not get a guy like that to stay home.

TripleOption14
12/16/2005, 09:04 PM
Some kids just wanna get out of their home state for school. You can't fault the guy for that.

jreed13
12/16/2005, 09:06 PM
It takes two bitch. Instead of being a little punk *** yourself and posting **** about me in random places everywhere why dont you just pm me and we can talk about it there. Stop being an attention whore, no one cares.

jreed13
12/16/2005, 09:09 PM
OFFICIAL Gerald McCoy watch thread

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Defensive tackle
Oklahoma City (OK)
Southeast

Height: 6-foot-4
Weight: 305 pounds
40-yard dash: 4.9 seconds
Bench reps: 26

http://oklahoma.rivals.com/viewprosp...p?pr_key=29558

According to rivals.com he is the number one DT in the nation. In my opinion they have hit the nail on the head. If your a rivals subscriber watch some of his clips and you'll know why. DT is another position that we will be thin at after this year and the thought of McCoy and Granger (#1 DT in the nation from last year) side by side in the middle of the line gives me chills. Here's to hoping hes a sooner!

okienole3
12/16/2005, 09:42 PM
No.

http://blogsimages.skynet.be/images/000/244/774_You%20Suck.jpg.150.150.jpg

Beano's Fourth Chin
12/16/2005, 10:27 PM
If you guys are going to fight, go over to each others house, jump out of the bushes and sucker clock each other with 8 irons. Just don't do it here.

Consider this somewhat of a knock-it-off-warning type post on my part.

BillyBall
12/16/2005, 10:32 PM
Wow, this thread is enlightening

jreed13
12/16/2005, 10:45 PM
The other one was better :D

okienole3
12/16/2005, 10:47 PM
Really, Tigah Bait ruined the last thread.

OUGreg723
12/17/2005, 12:33 AM
I don't want McCoy to come to OU if all he does is start fights...

TopDawg
12/17/2005, 04:37 PM
heh

OUfan7
12/17/2005, 07:22 PM
I saw a recruiting show today that said he was on a visit to Miami this weekend. Hope he decides to become a Sooner, we need the help in the middle.

Instant
12/17/2005, 08:23 PM
I have heard that if his good friend George West enrolled early at Notre Dame Gerald would go to Notre Dame.

George West announced on Thursday that he has and will be granted as an early enrollee at Notre Dame thus counting towards Notre Dames 2005 class.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/17/2005, 09:03 PM
this is probably the first post beano has every made in this forum. you'ins should be proud.

jreed13
12/17/2005, 09:06 PM
Not really :O

GDC
12/18/2005, 09:58 AM
'

McCoy takes his time with college decision
By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
12/18/2005

View in Print (PDF) Format

Southeast star is enjoying the entire recruiting process.
NORMAN -- Gerald McCoy, the Oklahoma City Southeast defensive tackle rated among the top 20 high school football prospects in the nation, answers the phone and clues you in immediately.

Months of tugging and pulling from football coaches like Oklahoma's Bob Stoops, Southern Cal's Pete Carroll and Miami's Larry Coker, and from their assistants, and from newspaper reporters, and from recruiting dot-commers and from friends, have aged McCoy beyond his 17 years.

"May I ask what this is regarding?" he says in a tone as polite as it is stern.

You tell him what it's regarding, and he asks if you can call back in five minutes. It is time for him to assess the situation, much like he has assessed recruiting visits to places like USC, LSU, Notre Dame, Virginia Tech and Miami. And, yes, OU.

"Through this process, it's kind of like 'G' has grown up before our eyes," says Gerald McCoy Sr. after the five minutes have elapsed and a decision to talk has been made.

It was either grow up or get swallowed up.

"He's getting a little tired because he's also trying to keep his grades up. He

sometimes does homework until 3 in the morning," the elder McCoy says of his son. "He's also a drum captain in the band and in student council. He's an FCA teacher every Thursday. He's trying to wrestle this year, but he can hardly get the chance because he has to come home to meet these coaches. He has a lot going on.

"What we have to be concerned with is to try to make sure he's not overwhelmed."

McCoy could take the easy way out and choose a college suitor today. But then that wouldn't be consistent with his digestion of the whole process.

"We're confident that whatever choice he makes, it will be calculated," McCoy Sr. says. "He's examining these programs. A coach could be in his face cracking jokes, and he's studying (the coach). We'll hold conversations with coaches in our living room, then get together and talk about it (after the coach leaves) and he'll see what we saw, from a grown-up's point of view.

"We come from different angles but wind up at the same point."

It will help a school in the McCoy Sweepstakes to have won and to have been on TV and in bowl games. But just as important are things like facilities, academic and athletic, and feel. McCoy fancies a program where coaches and players blend comfortably, if not seamlessly.

And so?

"He is not letting on," McCoy Sr. says. "I'm not blowing smoke, he's not letting on at all."

Don't bet on any real clues between now and Jan. 7, when the 6-foot-4, 285-pound McCoy plays in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in San Antonio. Even then, national signing day will be a month away.

That leaves plenty of time for more conversation, examination and calculation.

"To be proud of his accomplishments on the football field is one thing," McCoy Sr. says. "But the way he's handled (the recruiting process) is what I'm really proud of. How he does it blows my mind."

Any chance anyone in the McCoy household will be glad to put the grind behind them?

"Glad? Nah. A lot of kids dream of having this kind of opportunity," McCoy Sr. says. "I would say when it's over we will rest. That's for sure."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guerin Emig 581-8355
[email protected]

Instant
12/18/2005, 11:03 PM
McCoy interview from Daily Oklahoman

http://newsok.com/video/1698469/

Doesn't sound very good for the Sooners...:(

OUGreg723
12/19/2005, 03:16 PM
shucks...I wonder why he seems so down on OU? Is he not a sooner fan? maybe he justs wants to get out of oklahoma. Lots of kids feel that way in high school. I can't blame him for that.

Scott D
12/19/2005, 03:22 PM
well if you base it off of that interview, he's thinking education first, and you can't really knock Notre Dame for that. They're pretty aggressive all around with recruiting, be it athletic or academic recruiting that they are doing.

47straight
12/19/2005, 08:30 PM
well if you base it off of that interview, he's thinking education first, and you can't really knock Notre Dame for that. They're pretty aggressive all around with recruiting, be it athletic or academic recruiting that they are doing.

On one of the News 9 videos on the Oklahoman web site, he made reference to ND's graduation rate.

sooner518
12/21/2005, 10:28 PM
he was named USAToday's national defensive player of the year in today's paper. it sounds like we wont get him though. crap

NickZeppelin
12/21/2005, 11:01 PM
LMAO about the grad rates and this kid. If he's as good as advertised he ain't stayin 4 years anyway.

southern sooner
12/21/2005, 11:50 PM
This could be a big loss, but if we dont get him I guess I hope he goes to V-Tech, I hate them least of his main choices.

NickZeppelin
12/22/2005, 01:00 AM
I think we get him. A telling quote was in the USA Today he said he wears 97 because of Tommie Harris.

Collier11
12/22/2005, 02:42 AM
I think we get him. A telling quote was in the USA Today he said he wears 97 because of Tommie Harris.

I guess im missin something here??
I wore no. 11 cus of Jeter but I didnt skip college all-together

Big Red Ron
12/22/2005, 07:57 AM
He's Reggie Smithing us...don't worry, he's a Sooner.

Ross33
12/22/2005, 12:11 PM
Nice interview. He seems like a really good kid - hope to have him in the program.

jccouger
12/22/2005, 02:20 PM

I'm gonna hold you to your word. I really hope he comes here, and if your that positive that hes comming then im gonna trust you.

OUGreg723
12/22/2005, 02:27 PM

I really hope your right. Him committing could creat the best defense in OU history in the next few years. LOADED D-line,LOADED at LB, and LOADED at DB with talent. As Toby Keith has said- "The Sooner Tsunami has not yet hit."

Gerald McCoy and Demarcus Granger on the same D-line gives me jitters. A DE's dream come true.
:D

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/22/2005, 02:29 PM
recruiting hype seems to be as addictive as crack

OUGreg723
12/22/2005, 02:35 PM

Heh. Its kinda fun and exciting though. (recruiting not crack).:)

jreed13
12/22/2005, 10:53 PM

Oh trust me, it is :D

snp
12/22/2005, 11:01 PM

Tell me about it. I sold my computer to pay for Rivals, Scout, and ESPN access.

Kinda like selling your car for gas money. Very aggieish.

snp
12/22/2005, 11:24 PM
How do you disable spek? Because if the sissies that are stalking me are going to neg me for that above comment, I'd rather disable it all together and stop bitching about it.

GDC
12/22/2005, 11:30 PM
Go to options in the user control panel and unclick it, or alternatively become a sponsor and find out who the sissies are.

Frozen Sooner
12/22/2005, 11:47 PM

Unfortunately, while that's part of it, he wanted Warren Sapp's number, which was taken.

NickZeppelin
12/22/2005, 11:52 PM
And I don't think Miami is in his top 5. I think he goes to OU in the end.

Frozen Sooner
12/23/2005, 12:13 AM
He just got back from a visit to Miami and yes, they are in his top five.

Pardon me. He lists a top six. Miami is one of them.

47straight
12/23/2005, 02:51 AM
I don't know why he's interested in Miami if he wants an education.

Unless it's finance and distribution of import/exports, namely COCAINE

sitzpinkler
12/23/2005, 10:55 AM
the following interview is from the free section on Scout, it's starting to sound better for us:

It's been a busy last six days from Oklahoma City five-star defensive tackle Gerald McCoy.

Last weekend, McCoy took his fifth and final visit to Miami, and then on Wednesday, he was named the National Defensive Player of the Year by USA Today as well as started practicing for the Southeast wrestling team

Finally, on Wednesday night, McCoy took a break long enough to talk to OUInsider.com about recruiting and his latest honor.

JH: Congratulations for being named the USA Today Defensive Player of the Year. How do you feel about that?

GM: “It is exciting. I am so happy that somebody finally realized how hard I work to get to where I am. It is great that I could bring some publicity to Southeast High School in Oklahoma City.”

JH: How does it make you feel to know that all those wind sprints, push-ups and hours in the weight room have paid off so far?

GM: “I just thank God every day for just giving me the ability to wake up and see all this. That is really where it all comes from. I can only work so hard, but the ability comes from God and what he allows me to do. God is who I give all the credit to.”

JH: What was it like when USA Today called you and said that you were their Defensive Player of the Year? Was it a big deal when they came out to take your picture?

GM: “To me, it was a big deal. But it really wasn’t because nobody knew about it. That day I was also very busy. I had another photo shoot at the Daily Oklahoman, because I was named Player of the Year here as well. That day was real crazy because I was real busy. I had a lot to do and I also had a secret Santa day. Also, that same day I had our football banquet.”

JH: When you look at some of those names on the USA Today team I am sure you have got to know a few of them during your recruiting travels. What do you think about of that group?

GM: “I am glad to be thought of among the elite players in the nation. I am glad people put me up there. Sometimes good players can be overlooked. I got out there and I thank God for allowing me to be on this team with some of these elite athletes.”

JH: How did you like your visit to Miami?

GM: “It was fun man. It was everything that everybody said that it would be. The housing is located in a real nice area. It is a private school and there is a lot of stuff to do down there, and the players are real cool guys. They have a real strong family atmosphere down there. The coaches are smart and they know what they are talking about.

"The defense there is real fast. That is why they are ranked among the top teams in the country, and for a while they were ranked No. 1 in defense. Football is just on another level down there. The publicity that you can get for just going to Miami is crazy. It was cool. It was good to see the same school that my inspiration went too. Warren Sapp graduated from that school.”

JH: Have you had a chance to talk to Warren Sapp?

GM: “Man, if I can talk to Warren Sapp I would move next door to his house.”

JH: Many times former players come back and meet with recruits, but you're saying that happen this time?

GM: “No, none of the former players down there.”

JH: What is your take on the defensive tackle situation at Miami?

GM: “I think I can go in there and compete. They have two guys leaving and I think I can go in there and compete for a spot. One thing they are not afraid to do is play freshmen, because they had freshmen starters this year. They actually had true freshmen, so they are not afraid to play young guys. If you are the best player on the field, then that is who they are going to play.”

JH: Your visits are now over, so put recruiting in perspective for us?

GM: “Recruiting, as far as visits, go was tiring but I would not trade that opportunity for the world. It was so fun. I hate that it is over. At times I would say to myself that man I can’t wait to get this over, but now that it is over I hate that it is over because it was so fun. I got to see different parts of the country and different people and how they live. I got to see how other people’s lives are, and that the state of Oklahoma is not the only state in the nation. We are not the only type of people in this country. I also loved seeing the great tradition of the other schools that you watch on TV. So, I loved it.”

JH: Who are the schools that you are considering at this point?

GM: “I am down to my final six and I am going to sit down and make pros and con chart to determine where I am going to go.”

JH: Who are the final six?

GM: “They are OU, Notre Dame, USC, Virginia Tech, LSU and Miami.”

JH: Who will be involved in the decision?

GM: “Me, my family and God. I am going to need serious prayer.”

JH: How do you feel about the Sooners at this point?

GM: “OU hasn’t changed with me at all. You know, you hear the same thing from me every time. They have not fallen off my list and they haven’t changed anything with me or my judgment of them hasn’t changed. Some things I didn’t know about OU I found out that is helping me, and that is a good thing for OU. I can’t tell you what those things are, but I am telling you it is good for OU. OU hasn’t fallen off my list. I have always liked OU, so they don’t have to change anything.”

JH: What do you think of Oklahoma’s defensive tackle situation and how you might fit in if you signed with the Sooners?

GM: “I really think I could compete there because they are losing two seniors and everybody else is young. Most of their players at defensive tackle are just a year older than me. When I would go in there the highest player ahead of me would be two years. I really think I can compete if I go there. Besides, it doesn’t matter because Tommie Harris went in there as a freshman and he started and there were seniors on the team. Dusty Dvoracek started as a freshman with seniors on the team, but it doesn’t matter. If you can play you can play.”

JH: I know you are on the wrestling team, so how is that going?

GM: “I haven’t made weight yet (275), so as far as actual competition I couldn’t tell you. As far as practice goes, it is cool and I think it is helping me. I played at 285 this year so I can make weight, but I need to work on it after that Army All-American game. My work ethic is going up to another level and I can drop the weight if I want to.”

jdsooner
12/23/2005, 12:11 PM
Gerald sounds like a sharp young man. I saw him on television the other night and I was very impressed. I think that he would be a great fit at OU.

We want you, Gerald!

stoopified
12/26/2005, 09:19 AM
Sounds almost too good to be true.

OU-HSV
12/26/2005, 10:18 PM
Crossing my fingers that he'll join our recruiting class. Seems like a good guy and a heck of an athlete.

SoonerFaninAZ
12/27/2005, 10:05 AM
the following interview is from the free section on Scout, it's starting to sound better for us:

Finally, on Wednesday night, McCoy took a break long enough to talk to OUInsider.com about recruiting and his latest honor.

Perhaps THAT is why it's starting to sound better.

Sooner_Bob
12/27/2005, 10:25 AM
Come on Gerald . . . head to Norman and become then next great Sooner DT.

:D

snp
1/1/2006, 09:39 PM
RUMOR TIME!!!

Apparently George West isn't going to enroll early at ND, and they aren't going to have enough scholarships for McCoy. I considered ND the biggest threat, so this is definately a plus.

I guess we'll find out if he enrolled within a week or 2.

william_brasky
1/1/2006, 10:08 PM
I sure hope we get this kid.

I could see him contributing immediately.

He's also a drum captain in the high school band? Is the Pride recruiting him too? ;)

jccouger
1/2/2006, 01:05 AM
Apparently George West isn't going to enroll early at ND,

No, George is going early. We go to the same school, and has already turned in all the paper work needed to leave early.

snp
1/2/2006, 04:13 AM
No, George is going early. We go to the same school, and has already turned in all the paper work needed to leave early.

Bummer. I know he has all of his work done, but I heard he was wanting to stick around for senior year. Internet rumors I guess.

Still a chance ND snags one of their other last targets, but they'd give it to McCoy over anyone else.

LSUdeek
1/5/2006, 11:28 AM
McCoy on Woods:

...he wants me to go to LSU with him.

"The bond that we have will help out in the recruiting process. Al would probably be my roommate if I go to LSU."

LSUdeek
1/5/2006, 12:54 PM
Dunno if this is true:

from the southeast recruiting analyst at the All american game, McCoy just told him he has narrowed his list to "LSU, USC, and Oklahoma". That was the order that he narrowed his schools in. This is coming from rivals writers reporting live from practice. Butch Lewis narrows his list the USC and Notre Dame.

Scott D
1/5/2006, 01:47 PM
god as a recruit I'd have fun stringing these recruiting analysts along.

LSUdeek
1/5/2006, 03:08 PM
god as a recruit I'd have fun stringing these recruiting analysts along.

yeah, who the hell knows exactly what he's going to do.

The Consumate Showman
1/5/2006, 03:18 PM
let me say that I met Gerald after one of OU's home games and got his autograph......after I got it his mother had about the biggest smile on a mother's face I have ever seen. I think we're safe with him. I think he's just a typical kid wanting to go and travel around and see the U.S.A., if you think about it, once he comes to Norman to play, the only time he's going to get to travel much is away games and bowls. I say we land him, gresham, murray, and maybe another OL.....:)

Scott D
1/5/2006, 06:02 PM
Well Mike Farrell over at Rivals thinks it's basically down to OU and USC with McCoy, and OU being the front runner....we'll find out in a couple of days I guess.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/5/2006, 06:09 PM
let me say that I met Gerald after one of OU's home games and got his autograph......after I got it his mother had about the biggest smile on a mother's face I have ever seen. I think we're safe with him. I think he's just a typical kid wanting to go and travel around and see the U.S.A., if you think about it, once he comes to Norman to play, the only time he's going to get to travel much is away games and bowls. I say we land him, gresham, murray, and maybe another OL.....:)

amazing how little people know about recruiting violations

Widescreen
1/5/2006, 06:32 PM
amazing how little people know about recruiting violations
His mother wasn't supposed to smile after the autograph was signed?

;)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/5/2006, 06:35 PM
His mother wasn't supposed to smile after the autograph was signed?

;)

oh, i just figured that was from WHERE he got the autograph

Harry Beanbag
1/5/2006, 06:44 PM
Well Mike Farrell over at Rivals thinks it's basically down to OU and USC with McCoy, and OU being the front runner....we'll find out in a couple of days I guess.

He's not announcing Saturday.

Scott D
1/5/2006, 06:45 PM
He's not announcing Saturday.

yeah I realized that after I posted it, but I didn't feel like editing...there were more important threads to chase down ;)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/5/2006, 06:52 PM
why do you hate nickzepp?

Scott D
1/5/2006, 06:56 PM
Do I need a reason? ;)

The Consumate Showman
1/5/2006, 07:37 PM
jkm, I didn't think it was a violation to get a kid's autograph after a game as long as nothing is said about where he is going and why..not like I was all over him to come to OU for signing my ball...also, there weren't any OU officials courting him out and I thought it was perfectly okay for a kid to sign an autograph if they wanted.......maybe there's something I'm missing here.........I just happen to notice his mother had a huge grin on her face as I walked away....

Big Red Ron
1/5/2006, 08:48 PM
Gerald, we'll win with you or we'll win without you. Hope you come aboard.

Big Red Ron
1/5/2006, 08:50 PM
why do you hate nickzepp?Yeah, it's almost like trash talking a "special olympian."

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/5/2006, 09:30 PM
jkm, I didn't think it was a violation to get a kid's autograph after a game as long as nothing is said about where he is going and why..not like I was all over him to come to OU for signing my ball...also, there weren't any OU officials courting him out and I thought it was perfectly okay for a kid to sign an autograph if they wanted.......maybe there's something I'm missing here.........I just happen to notice his mother had a huge grin on her face as I walked away....

if you attend OU games, you are considered a "booster". boosters are not allowed access to potential recruits no matter how innocent it is. when you asked him for his autograph, that was considered a "contact" and has to be reported to the NCAA.

The Consumate Showman
1/5/2006, 09:43 PM
if you attend OU games, you are considered a "booster". boosters are not allowed access to potential recruits no matter how innocent it is. when you asked him for his autograph, that was considered a "contact" and has to be reported to the NCAA.

So if I was to approach him for an autograph at, say, after a Southeast game this year, that would be okay? Why is the NCAA so anal on things like this and why doesn't OU corral these guys after games so nobody can come in contact with them? I would have never noticed him if it weren't for the throng of people around him....you would think Stoops would contain them if there were possible rules violations.....:confused:

jk the sooner fan
1/5/2006, 09:44 PM
so in the spring game, after AD signed, and he was in the stands, not yet enrolled, and signing autographs for the mob around him.......

i got Bomar's, Peterson, Holmes, and Patterson's auto on the sidelines while at the AA game in San Antonio......i had on an OU golf shirt and hat

i have a hard time believing that all 84,000 ticket holders on any given saturday are considered boosters? surely the definition is a little tighter than that.......

The Consumate Showman
1/5/2006, 09:48 PM
so in the spring game, after AD signed, and he was in the stands, not yet enrolled, and signing autographs for the mob around him.......

i got Bomar's, Peterson, Holmes, and Patterson's auto on the sidelines while at the AA game in San Antonio......i had on an OU golf shirt and hat

i have a hard time believing that all 84,000 ticket holders on any given saturday are considered boosters? surely the definition is a little tighter than that.......

My point exactly. Why would the coaches leave themselves and our program exposed to possible NCCA violations over a simple autograph. I thought boosters were only those people who actually donate money to the program in the hopes of being labeled a "booster"????

jk the sooner fan
1/5/2006, 09:48 PM
i googled booster and college athletics.......one of the first links i got was from Western New Mexico's website

it says:

WHAT IS A BOOSTER?

The NCAA defines a booster (also known as a representative of athletics interest) as an individual or agency that:

1. Participates in promoting WNMU intercollegiate athletics program,
2. Has made financial contributions to the Athletics Department,
3. Had assisted in providing information to coaches about recruits.

from another school:

ANSWER: Bylaw 13.02.12 defines a booster. An abbreviated version of this regulation is set forth below: A "Booster" is any individual who is a member of the institution's athletics booster club, has ever made any donations to the club or athletic department, is involved in any manner of recruiting prospects or in providing benefits (summer jobs) to enrolled student-athletes, or is otherwise involved in promoting the institution's athletics’ program.

The Consumate Showman
1/5/2006, 09:58 PM
Maybe it is the last part of the second quote, "involved in promoting the institution's athletics' program", that JKM is referring to? It just seems crazy that the NCAA would expect the people of Oklahoma not to come up to a hometown recruit like McCoy after an OU game and not say something like, "Hey man, hope you come to OU, we could really use you." If so, I would hate to see the paperwork the NCAA would have to sift through due to people being reported for NCAA rules violations over making a "contact" with a player.....Now if we were talking about EK Gaylord, Jr. taking McCoy aside and having a personal conversation with him about coming to OU, I can see where that would fall into violation status....I have a hard time believing McCoy is going to be suaded be a small town guy like me to go to OU....

jk the sooner fan
1/5/2006, 10:01 PM
you'll have to convince me that simply buying a ticket to a game and nothing else is considered "a booster"

fan yes, booster no

The Consumate Showman
1/5/2006, 10:07 PM
Anyway, back tot he whole point of this thread, Gerald McCoy. I think he will be coming to OU regardless. I don't know if this is just speculation, but I have been told by people that McCoy has been talking with Tommie Harris about his decision??? Can anybody back that up? I think it may just be wishful thinking becasue he wears #97???

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/5/2006, 11:05 PM
this is the official language for a booster...

You become a booster if: 

You have ever been a member of any organization promoting SCU Athletics, 
Y ou have ever made any type of donation to SCU Athletics, Bronco Bench or a SCU booster organization, 
Y ou assisted in any manner the recruitment of a prospective student-athlete, 
Y ou have ever assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student-athletes or their families 
Y ou are the parent or legal guardian of an enrolled student-athlete, 
Y ou have promoted SCU Athletics in any other manner.
Once an individual is identified as a "booster" the individual retains the booster identity forever. NCAA rules hold Santa Clara University responsible for all actions of its athletics representatives and boosters. Any booster involved in a NCAA violation may lose benefits and privileges associated with the athletic program. Such benefits and privileges may include, without limitation, ticket privileges that may be withheld by Santa Clara University for a period of time deemed to be reasonably appropriate by the NCAA, WCC or SCU. The revocation of ticket privileges may result in a booster being denied admittance to any SCU hosted athletics event.

the problem is that the NCAA is the one that determines if you are a booster. there have been cases where people who buy season tickets are boosters, students at the university are boosters, even the guy that ran the kentucky wildcat rivals site who had never given the athletic department a dime was considered a booster.

there are no limits to what the NCAA will consider a booster. last year, a georgia message board was going to put together some money to bring a boise state player's dad in from iraq. the NCAA said that would put boise state on probation even though these were georgia fans.

Boosters cannot:

Contact recruits, either in-person, by telephone, in writing or by any other method. 
Contact the recruit's coach, principal, or academic counselor in any manner. 
Provide any type of benefit (money, services, items) to recruits or current student-athletes unless such a benefit is readily available to the public in general and such a claim can be easily demonstrated.

Prospective Student-Athlete:
A "prospect" or "recruit" is any student who has started classes for the ninth grade. Any student who has not started classes for the ninth grade can also become a "prospect" if the student receives any benefits that SCU does not provide to potential students in general. SCU requests that you treat ALL students as prospects.

Student-Athlete:
A student-athlete is any student who was recruited by SCU for athletics participation or has joined an intercollegiate team at SCU.

A "contact" is any face-to-face encounter between a coach or booster and a prospect or prospect's parent(s) or legal guardian during which any dialogue occurs in excess of an exchange or greeting. Any such contact that is prearranged or takes place on the grounds of the prospect's educational institution or at the sire of an organized practice or competition involving the prospect or prospect's team shall be considered by the NCAA to be a contact, regardless of the occurring conversation. Please remember, boosters are prohibited from contacting recruits.

Recruiting:
Recruiting is any solicitation of a prospect or prospect's parent(s) or legal guardian by a SCU staff member or by a SCU booster for the purpose of securing the prospect's enrollment at SCU and/or participation in SCU's athletics program.

southern sooner
1/5/2006, 11:12 PM
This is the type of stuff that prompted The Boz to wear his shirt during the Orange Bowl....
National
Communist

southern sooner
1/5/2006, 11:12 PM
Sorry - think it was National Communist Against Athelets

The Consumate Showman
1/5/2006, 11:27 PM
Okay final point, prove that I bought a ticket to the game and am therefore a "booster" of OU atheletics. I may have scalped a ticker or may have just waited outside, or mighten I be a acquaintance of the family. The NCAA doesn't have an autograph police do they? This arguement about high school players signing autographs is stupid and I'm sorry I got it started....just trying to give a little insight into this guy's decision. We are all sooner fans I think and whether or not I get an autograph from someone isn't going to bring down our program I promise you jkm. It's a free country and if anyone wants a Gerald McCoy autograph they are entitled to it as long as he sonsents and signs it for you, right? Damn, back to the thread now, please......Is McCoy giving any indications as to where he is leaning to at the AA game?? I say a post from LSUDeek with a quote from McCoy talking about him and Woods....

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/5/2006, 11:55 PM
i never said anyone is "trying to bring to bring down the program". if you do it privately its one thing, you tell the world...well, that's when ryno sues you and has you confess that OU needs to be put on probation.

and trust me, this line of thought is a heck of a lot less stupid than hanging on the every word a high school kid makes as to where he goes to school.

The Consumate Showman
1/6/2006, 12:03 AM
i never said anyone is "trying to bring to bring down the program". if you do it privately its one thing, you tell the world...well, that's when ryno sues you and has you confess that OU needs to be put on probation.

and trust me, this line of thought is a heck of a lot less stupid than hanging on the every word a high school kid makes as to where he goes to school.

Well, thanks for that insight....moving on, does Gerald remind any of you of Tommie Harris? I think if Gerald comes to OU we could be looking at another great DT......maybe even a Selmon type of guy? All of the sotries I have heard about him seem to suggest that he is a hard worker, if he can bring a good work ehtic into OU, the sky's the limit......

Hella Sideburns
1/6/2006, 03:32 AM
I think if Gerald comes to OU we could be looking at another great DT

would be the first dt from oklahoma to be a great dt in a long, long time

jk the sooner fan
1/6/2006, 07:32 AM
i've learned recently not to get overly excited about a recruit....until they get on campus, make it thru practices and actually get on the field......and can stay out of any of the number of dog houses available...

hype is overrated

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/6/2006, 09:20 AM
would be the first dt from oklahoma to be a great dt in a long, long time

its like we have the curse of casillas or something ;)

The Consumate Showman
1/6/2006, 09:44 AM
who was the last "good" DT from oklahoma to play at OU? seems like all of our good DT's always come from Tx.....

Harry Beanbag
1/6/2006, 09:49 AM
Kelly Gregg is still starting in the NFL. He's kind of flown under the radar his entire career.

Where was Cedric Jones from?

Scott Evans was a pretty good player, I know he is from Edmond.

Mjcpr
1/6/2006, 10:03 AM
Kory Klein was from Union and he played a lot for us....wasn't a star but a good player. Roger Steffen? There was another DE I'm thinking....

Dan Cody did OK.

Harry Beanbag
1/6/2006, 10:06 AM
Kory Klein was from Union and he played a lot for us....wasn't a star but a good player. Roger Steffen? There was another DE I'm thinking....

Dan Cody did OK.

Steffen was a LB.

Sybarite
1/6/2006, 10:06 AM
Cedric was from Houston.

What was wrong with Pendleton? Or Leroy? Or Dewey? Or Tony? This is cyclic as to where which kid comes from.

Harry Beanbag
1/6/2006, 10:08 AM
Cedric was from Houston.

Thanks.

What was wrong with Pendleton? Or Leroy? Or Dewey? Or Tony? This is cyclic as to where which kid comes from.

Pendleton is ok so far. As far as the others you mention, yeah they were all studs, but we were trying to think of the last good ones, not 20 or 30 years ago.

The Consumate Showman
1/6/2006, 10:15 AM
Pendleton might turn out to be a star.....I met him at a car wash in Norman last fall and he has to have the biggest freakin fingers I've ever seen.....I think he still has some growin to do on that frame.....it's going to be hard to this year though, with granger, simmons, possibly mccoy coming in....DT and DE should be strong points for us this coming year....thoughts?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/6/2006, 10:46 AM
who was the last "good" DT from oklahoma to play at OU? seems like all of our good DT's always come from Tx.....

this is what we are talking about. the number of oklahoma "highly touted HS" DTs that ended up good in college is an incredibly low number. to be honest, in the last 10 years, jamal brown is your poster child and he didn't play DT in college (2nd rated DT in the state that year to adam doiron).

all the guys that have been listed were good to great players in college, but were unheralded recruits out of high school. the last DL to get the hype of mccoy was brian pickryl. the last DT to get that hype would be dusty loveless.

it has seemed the problem with oklahoma players is that the really good college players are late bloomers and the really good HS players have no motivation to get better at the next level.

The Consumate Showman
1/6/2006, 10:51 AM
this is what we are talking about. the number of oklahoma "highly touted HS" DTs that ended up good in college is an incredibly low number. to be honest, in the last 10 years, jamal brown is your poster child and he didn't play DT in college (2nd rated DT in the state that year to adam doiron).

all the guys that have been listed were good to great players in college, but were unheralded recruits out of high school. the last DL to get the hype of mccoy was brian pickryl. the last DT to get that hype would be dusty loveless.

it has seemed the problem with oklahoma players is that the really good college players are late bloomers and the really good HS players have no motivation to get better at the next level.

What about this kid at Bama from Tulsa?? I noticed a post on him somewhere....He started for Bama all year I think.....and whatever became of Pickryl????

TopDawg
1/6/2006, 10:51 AM
Was Martin Chase highly touted? He's from Lawton, right?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/6/2006, 11:17 AM
What about this kid at Bama from Tulsa?? I noticed a post on him somewhere....He started for Bama all year I think.....and whatever became of Pickryl????

honestly, i'd never heard of him.

http://www.agtimes.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=44447

in 2002, jenks had 4 players that went to high D1 schools

5* brian pickryl - texas - chronic shoulder issues - medical redshirt
4* jason carter - OU - special teamer nickelback
2* garrett mills - tulsa - AA TE
2* jay henry - west virginia - starting MLB academic AA

jreed13
1/6/2006, 11:19 AM

Mark Anderson started for Bama as a junior as well.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/6/2006, 11:36 AM
okay, i looked it up and he was a senior in 2000. that year we took mike wilson, the linebacker that ended up playing baseball for the mariners (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Michael%20Wilson&pos=OF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=444125)

westcoast_sooner
1/7/2006, 05:45 PM
Watching McCoy today was amazing. He was almost unstoppable. I'm sure when he was in games for his high school, he was usually going against guys with much less talent and ability than he has. This game, he's presumably going against guys who are peers in terms of ability, going to D-1 schools, and he's still standing out. I do realize that once they get to college that they will still tend to be smaller, and raw compared to most of their teammates. And you can't really look at a single all-star game to get the real picture. But what I'd say is if McCoy has the desire to work hard and get better, then I hope we get him. Not sure how you measure that desire before you sign him.

william_brasky
1/7/2006, 06:35 PM
It's uncanny how quick he is and how many times he was in the backfield in that game. He would mos def be in the mix next year.

Be a Sooner Gerald!

Okieflyer
1/7/2006, 07:36 PM
Wow!

MojoRisen
1/7/2006, 07:47 PM
Wow!

We need to land Mccoy- At all cost! What is the latest word on him- any indication on where he is leaning? Notre Dame?

BASSooner
1/7/2006, 08:06 PM
Notice who's jersey number he is using;). I bet he is a sooner in no time.

Frozen Sooner
1/7/2006, 08:14 PM
Word on the street is OU or LSU.

BASSooner
1/7/2006, 08:15 PM
should be OU then since al woods is at lsu

OUGreg723
1/7/2006, 09:11 PM
Gerald McCoy and DeMarcus Granger on the same D-Line would look something like this...:D
http://forumspile.com/Cliche-Kitten_and_Domokuns.jpg

jk the sooner fan
1/7/2006, 09:18 PM
when is he supposed to announce his decision?

Harry Beanbag
1/7/2006, 09:32 PM
Sometime between now and signing day.

william_brasky
1/7/2006, 09:45 PM

great info Harry.

The Consumate Showman
1/7/2006, 09:59 PM
Notice who's jersey number he is using;). I bet he is a sooner in no time.

He is #97 at Southeast, too.....he has said before that he admires Tommie :)

The Consumate Showman
1/7/2006, 09:59 PM

Look for him to do something like Reggie Smith did last year....

Harry Beanbag
1/7/2006, 10:53 PM
great info Harry.

I wasn't trying to be a smart ***, that's actually what Gerald has been saying. :)

BASSooner
1/7/2006, 10:59 PM
well we need spies around baton rouge to see if he's around close to signing day

BOOMERBRADLEY
1/7/2006, 11:13 PM
well we need spies around baton rouge to see if he's around close to signing day

My dad works there, maybe I will send him on a mission.

BASSooner
1/7/2006, 11:14 PM
My dad works there, maybe I will send him on a mission.
you should because he could be a hero by letting us know what is going on.

The Consumate Showman
1/8/2006, 01:16 AM
He's down to LSU, SUC, and OU.....my money's on OU because ND didn't even make his final 3 and he was supposedly high on them after his visit there....SUC and Miles should be no contest, I think we land him easy...

MojoRisen
1/8/2006, 01:28 AM
Look for him to do something like Reggie Smith did last year....

You mean Make Bennet give up his number 97????:eek:

The Consumate Showman
1/8/2006, 01:33 AM
You mean Make Bennet give up his number 97????:eek:

I wouldn't be surprised.....:D

Desert Sapper
1/8/2006, 08:57 AM
SUC and Miles should be no contest, I think we land him easy...

That's a pretty optimistic viewpoint considering:

a. SUC and Petey are uncanny at pulling off signing day miracles, have a great reputation with recruits, excellent facilities, and a nice climate (even if it is practically in South Central).

b. Miles is a decent recruiter and already got Woods to commit (a guy that has a decent shot of sucking Gerald there). Less Manly made some Ihuge brownie points with recruits by spanking Miami in the Peach Bowl. It won't be a huge surprise if he is able to pull off a big signing day, too.

c. Our two championship game losses are still fresh in the minds of anyone that watches football (hate to bring it up, but it's a huge stigma that we have to get rid of by winning a championship game again).

We have a few things going for us in location (which he may not care about judging from his comments about Oklahoma not being the only state in the Union), our reputation for solid defense (which his other choices also have), and mama (which could be the x-factor).

I am crossing my fingers and hoping that we all see him wearing number 97 next fall (although that begs the question of whether Cory Bennett is willing to give it up).

jk the sooner fan
1/8/2006, 09:19 AM
i would hope/think that Stoops would not have Bennett give up his jersey number for a kid who's never played a down of Sooner football

thats a bad habit to get into imo....He can have it when Bennett graduates

The Consumate Showman
1/8/2006, 12:46 PM
i would hope/think that Stoops would not have Bennett give up his jersey number for a kid who's never played a down of Sooner football

thats a bad habit to get into imo....He can have it when Bennett graduates

Maybe he'll take the #94 in Dusty's absence...
#93 is up with Remi graduating, too

BASSooner
1/8/2006, 01:09 PM
being yourself is the key, not someone else. Therefore if Mccoy comes he should choose his own number and earn a reputation for it.

Scott D
1/8/2006, 04:04 PM
he could go for #76 since that was Sapp's college #.

Harry Beanbag
1/8/2006, 04:35 PM
#74 is open since Big Moe left. :)

OUGreg723
1/8/2006, 06:06 PM
being yourself is the key, not someone else. Therefore if Mccoy comes he should choose his own number and earn a reputation for it.

BAS speaks the truth. I'm sure he could care less what number he wears. He is just going to be Gerald. And that's what we want of him.:)

The Consumate Showman
1/8/2006, 09:28 PM
#74 is open since Big Moe left. :)

#74 - Brian Simmons, from Hargrave Military Academy

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/9/2006, 11:04 AM
Watching McCoy today was amazing. He was almost unstoppable. I'm sure when he was in games for his high school, he was usually going against guys with much less talent and ability than he has. This game, he's presumably going against guys who are peers in terms of ability, going to D-1 schools, and he's still standing out. I do realize that once they get to college that they will still tend to be smaller, and raw compared to most of their teammates. And you can't really look at a single all-star game to get the real picture. But what I'd say is if McCoy has the desire to work hard and get better, then I hope we get him. Not sure how you measure that desire before you sign him.

Word. For all the hype Mustain, Harvin and some of the other players were getting I thought McCoy looked like THE best player on the field. Given the postion he was playing that is remarkable. Looks like the real deal to me, hopefully we get him.

jreed13
1/9/2006, 11:07 AM
I think mccoy was the player of the game imho and not just cause im wearing the crimson colored glasses. Wells got it just cause he has no field vision and muscled over everybody.... granger used swim moves and all sorts of stuff to whip every o lineman (and double team) they threw at him. It was fun to watch because he was seriously in the backfield every other play if not more.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/9/2006, 11:44 AM
methinks we've been eliminated

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/9/2006, 11:51 AM
maybe not, looks like the new guy is a DE

Sooner in Tampa
1/9/2006, 11:51 AM
methinks we've been eliminatedWhy? What happened?

The Consumate Showman
1/9/2006, 12:04 PM

:confused: :confused: :confused:

The Consumate Showman
1/9/2006, 12:05 PM
I think mccoy was the player of the game imho and not just cause im wearing the crimson colored glasses. Wells got it just cause he has no field vision and muscled over everybody.... granger used swim moves and all sorts of stuff to whip every o lineman (and double team) they threw at him. It was fun to watch because he was seriously in the backfield every other play if not more.

He looked ten times better than the Woods kids committed to LSwho....we NEED McCoy

Seamus
1/9/2006, 12:05 PM
Somebody on Insider posted that we picked up a commit from DE Adrian Taylor:

http://mb22.scout.com/fouinsiderfrm1.showMessage?topicID=124334.topic

The Consumate Showman
1/9/2006, 12:18 PM
Does this signee mean that we're gonna drop the Gibbs kid and try for Gresham instead???? Or are we just going to oversign??

The Consumate Showman
1/9/2006, 12:19 PM
assuming we get McCoy of course........

LSUdeek
1/9/2006, 12:19 PM
He looked ten times better than the Woods kids committed to LSwho....we NEED McCoy

Woods' downfall is that he has been playing 1A ball against tiny kids. I think he also might be a slightly different type of player than McCoy.

jreed13
1/9/2006, 12:20 PM
Woods' downfall is that he has been playing 1A ball against tiny kids. I think he also might be a slightly different type of player than McCoy.
The problem with Woods is that he got pancaked bloked by Andre Smith :D

LSUdeek
1/9/2006, 12:23 PM
The problem with Woods is that he got pancaked bloked by Andre Smith :D

;)

Interesting to see who he ends up committing to. Probably your school.

The Consumate Showman
1/9/2006, 12:41 PM
Didn't see Woods in the backfield to often, then again, I don't remember him being there at all....Gerald was building a house back there....

Harry Beanbag
1/9/2006, 12:55 PM

Some of the Rivals guys think this Taylor guy may wind up an OL.

It's hard to say what this means. Gibbs is toast, Patterson won't make it, or McCoy/Gresham are gone. I'm betting the first two are probably true, who knows about the Oklahoma boys. This will be pretty interesting to watch the scholarship numbers work out.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/9/2006, 01:09 PM
Some of the Rivals guys think this Taylor guy may wind up an OL.

It's hard to say what this means. Gibbs is toast, Patterson won't make it, or McCoy/Gresham are gone. I'm betting the first two are probably true, who knows about the Oklahoma boys. This will be pretty interesting to watch the scholarship numbers work out.

yeah, i think he has OT written all over him which probably means that the coaches watched symonette in the AA game as well. i think we have a lot more room than people are letting on which means we aren't going to see this entire class in the fall.

Desert Sapper
1/9/2006, 01:13 PM
Why does Patterson enter into the equation? He's a LB. Sounds like you are probably right about Gibbs.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/9/2006, 01:13 PM
because patterson is a longshot to qualify

jreed13
1/9/2006, 01:17 PM
yeah, i think he has OT written all over him which probably means that the coaches watched symonette in the AA game as well. i think we have a lot more room than people are letting on which means we aren't going to see this entire class in the fall.
Tennel and paterson? :(

Harry Beanbag
1/9/2006, 01:21 PM

Right now, we've got 25 commits. Worst case Patterson and Tennell don't qualify and Gibbs goes to Oregon which puts us at 22. That leaves room for McCoy, Gresham, and ________. Morgan?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/9/2006, 01:22 PM
malcolm williams is rumored to be switching, but who knows...

jreed13
1/9/2006, 01:25 PM
We could sure use a CB...

Harry Beanbag
1/9/2006, 01:26 PM

I hope so, we could really use another Safety. :rolleyes:

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/9/2006, 01:27 PM
I hope so, we could really use another Safety. :rolleyes:

well, he does intercept the ball a lot. that would be a nice change of pace ;)

Harry Beanbag
1/9/2006, 01:28 PM
True.

Desert Sapper
1/9/2006, 01:28 PM
Where is everyone getting reads on whether these guys will qualify?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/9/2006, 01:34 PM
its just scuttlebutt. the way it normally works is that the "long shots to qualify" will begin to surface in the summer. by the fall, most of the "have no chance at all of qualifying" kids have fallen off the radar. at this point, we are down to one of three types "is close", "has a chance", "has a long ways to go"

murray is close
tennell has a chance
patterson has a long ways to go

RedStripe
1/10/2006, 11:45 AM
Williams is a little tall to be a safety at OU dont you think?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/10/2006, 11:48 AM
and too short to be a corner. sounds like derrick strait ;)

RedStripe
1/10/2006, 12:29 PM
Looks like we still after Lewis Baker Jr. (aka MMorgan). Either some guys have told us they are not coming or several have not made grades. Not sure which to root for.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/10/2006, 01:04 PM
i saw that. we learned our lesson with DE-LB tweeners, but apparently we are still fascinated with the LB-S tweener.

critical_phil
1/10/2006, 01:21 PM
its just scuttlebutt. the way it normally works is that the "long shots to qualify" will begin to surface in the summer. by the fall, most of the "have no chance at all of qualifying" kids have fallen off the radar. at this point, we are down to one of three types "is close", "has a chance", "has a long ways to go"

murray is close
tennell has a chance
patterson has a long ways to go

this is something that confounds me to no end. in most cases, you can recognize a college-level athlete long before it's time for college - usually they are the guys that are always bigger, faster, and stronger than everyone else at each level they play starting with pop warner. in high school, i knew a guy who went on to play D1 football and 2 who wrestled D1. even in 9th and 10th grade these guys were so much better than the rest of us.

yet, year after year there are so many guys that can't qualify. a lot of these guys don't even come close.

it's not like high school is rocket science. or college either, for that matter (especially for those who choose to major in sociology or community wellness).

i just don't get it.

in other ACT related news, my 2 daughters took the ACT a few weeks ago and just got their results in. 25 and 26. they are in the 11th and 10th grades, and they aren't bookworms by any stretch of the imagination. it makes me wonder how stupid some of these guys really are.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/10/2006, 01:28 PM
my high school class was pretty weird in that most of the athletic guys were also pretty smart. out of 21 in our AP calculus class, only 5 didn't play some sort of sport (and were fairly good at it). the class in front of us? well that was a different story. they had a couple of decent athletes that were pretty smart, but for the most part they weren't what i would call academic types.

i took the original ACT my junior year and got a 34. the football player next to me got a 7. i was like, um, are you not even smart enough to cheat? the proctor left the room for like 15 minutes.

The Consumate Showman
1/10/2006, 01:39 PM
. it makes me wonder how stupid some of these guys really are.

That is something I think none of us wants to know....:)

Harry Beanbag
1/10/2006, 02:29 PM
7? I didn't know that was even possible.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/10/2006, 02:32 PM
i believe 4 was the lowest score you could get

snp
1/10/2006, 02:32 PM
Some player on our team that has had grades problems doesn't know how to type.

Dosen't. Know. How. To. Type.

See if you can guess who!

Mjcpr
1/10/2006, 02:43 PM
Maybe he didn't have the opportunity to use his dad's laptop that much growing up.

Harry Beanbag
1/10/2006, 02:51 PM
Some player on our team that has had grades problems doesn't know how to type.

Dosen't. Know. How. To. Type.

See if you can guess who!

What position do you play? ;)

CatfishSooner
1/10/2006, 02:57 PM
I would think it would be hard to get a 7...don't you get like a 5 for just showing up and writing down your name??

GDC
1/10/2006, 03:23 PM
I made a 31 my junior year at a ****ty high school with no honors or AP classes and no specific test prep at all. Damn you, jkm:mad: ;)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/10/2006, 03:34 PM
I made a 31 my junior year at a ****ty high school with no honors or AP classes and no specific test prep at all. Damn you, jkm:mad: ;)

i'm sorry you had to go to sand springs ;)

LSUdeek
1/10/2006, 03:37 PM
my high school class was pretty weird in that most of the athletic guys were also pretty smart. out of 21 in our AP calculus class, only 5 didn't play some sort of sport (and were fairly good at it). the class in front of us? well that was a different story. they had a couple of decent athletes that were pretty smart, but for the most part they weren't what i would call academic types.

i took the original ACT my junior year and got a 34. the football player next to me got a 7. i was like, um, are you not even smart enough to cheat? the proctor left the room for like 15 minutes.

they pass out alternating tests up and down the aisle. any one person would have different answer keys on either side of himself.

34! good job.

OUGreg723
1/10/2006, 04:31 PM
Standardized tests do not prove how smart you are. ACT's are extremely hard for a kid with ADD or leanring dissabilities who doesnt fit the rediculously strict guidlines for the extended time test. It is really all about if you have a high attention span and do not get distracted easily. Those without ADD really cannot understand what its like.

All throughout high school I have been successful in many AP classes, been an honor role student, active in sports, and gone to school in what might be the top public school system in the country (Fairfax County). But when I took the ACT for the first time I only scored a 19. I also then realized that I am ADD. The only reason I was successful in high school was because I worked hard and studied alot. It took me 3 more ACT tests for me to reach a 23. Which isnt even automatic admission for OU, but I met other requirements to get in, and impressed in an interveiw.

That aside, I know I am no dummy and I struggled on the ACT test as well. Some people are just not good standardized test takers. Lot's of these kids could be really smart and we should'nt talk about them like this. Everyone has a different mind. I was always the last kid done in my class for a test, but I would score one of the highest. These tests are all about time.

These kids are also gifted as atheletes in ways that we can't come close too. Well I guess my point is, intellegence comes in many different forms.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/10/2006, 04:36 PM
that is part of the reason why the NCAA is moving away from standardized tests (right now, they have a scale based on GPA). the thing about these kids is that for a lot of them the damage is done their freshman year. its pretty difficult to get your core up when you start off with a 1.0 in them...

Harry Beanbag
1/10/2006, 04:37 PM
Standardized tests do not prove how smart you are. ACT's are extremely hard for a kid with ADD or leanring dissabilities who doesnt fit the rediculously strict guidlines for the extended time test. It is really all about if you have a high attention span and do not get distracted easily. Those without ADD really cannot understand what its like.

All throughout high school I have been successful in many AP classes, been an honor role student, active in sports, and gone to school in what might be the top public school system in the country (Fairfax County). But when I took the ACT for the first time I only scored a 19. I also then realized that I am ADD. The only reason I was successful in high school was because I worked hard and studied alot. It took me 3 more ACT tests for me to reach a 23. Which isnt even automatic admission for OU, but I met other requirements to get in, and impressed in an interveiw.

That aside, I know I am no dummy and I struggled on the ACT test as well. Some people are just not good standardized test takers. Lot's of these kids could be really smart and we should'nt talk about them like this. Everyone has a different mind. I was always the last kid done in my class for a test, but I would score one of the highest. These tests are all about time.

These kids are also gifted as atheletes in ways that we can't come close too. Well I guess my point is, intellegence comes in many different forms.

I don't know about normal people, but I've heard of some athletes with learning disabilities being allowed to take the tests untimed.

OUGreg723
1/10/2006, 04:50 PM
I don't know about normal people, but I've heard of some athletes with learning disabilities being allowed to take the tests untimed.

You may be right. If you cannot do well untimed, then you may not be a very smart person, or you had poor teachers.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/10/2006, 05:01 PM
another thing that the test makers refuse to acknowledge is that there is definitely a difference in the degree of difficulty between the tests. i took the SAT and ACT several times for various reasons and when i tagged an "easy" test i blew the score out of the water.

GDC
1/10/2006, 05:02 PM
i'm sorry you had to go to sand springs ;)

worse, Tahlequah:(

Scott D
1/10/2006, 05:38 PM
Ok, I'm going to say this because I'm going to bring a different perspective on the matter. As an athlete, I had periods where I was 'catered' to in regards to school. I had plenty of periods of time where no effort was put forth, but the end results were good enough to keep me eligible, which was what mattered according to how the system was set up. In fact, the only year where I ever attempted to apply myself academically was my senior year which coincided with the fact that I had two major quad injuries and a knee and shoulder injury in the same school year. I was basically held out of all sports, organized or pick up, and I ended up pulling a 3.5 gpa that year.

Also, with standardized testing, there are cultural and regional biases within the test, and they don't make any allowances for stuff like sofa v. couch, soda v. pop, etc. Throw that into the blender with a screwed up school system nationwide and you've got the makings of disasters waiting to happen.

OUGreg723
1/10/2006, 06:20 PM
Stanardized Tests do not determine anything in life.

The Consumate Showman
1/10/2006, 06:22 PM
The problem with all of this is that our lovely legislators feel that importance should be placed on the test regardless of intellectual ability. Brad Henry and other memebers of Congress are quietly trying to push through legislation that would require all students to pass a certain battery of tests to graduate high school. This means that many kids are going to linger in high school which could be bad news for prespective sports programs at least in Oklahoma.

I do not know if other states are employing the same methods as Oklahoma, but can you imagine OU not getting DeMarco Murray, or Texas not getting Sergio Kindle, or SUC not getting Emmanuel Moody due to the fact they couldn't pass their standardized high school Exit Exams? That would equal sheer torture for prospective college coaches and people on this very message board and others.

I do not agree witht the way our education system is going, but it is a hard, cold fact. And if any school thinks that prowess in an athletic program can save them, they would sadly be wrong becasue of NCLB, poorly performing schools can eventually be consolidated to other districts if the NCLB board feels it necessary. Just food for thought...

Hella Sideburns
1/10/2006, 06:23 PM
worse, Tahlequah:(

TAHLEQUAH IS NOT WORSE THAN SAND SPRINGS

ok it is.

Scott D
1/10/2006, 08:19 PM
The problem with all of this is that our lovely legislators feel that importance should be placed on the test regardless of intellectual ability. Brad Henry and other memebers of Congress are quietly trying to push through legislation that would require all students to pass a certain battery of tests to graduate high school. This means that many kids are going to linger in high school which could be bad news for prespective sports programs at least in Oklahoma.

I do not know if other states are employing the same methods as Oklahoma, but can you imagine OU not getting DeMarco Murray, or Texas not getting Sergio Kindle, or SUC not getting Emmanuel Moody due to the fact they couldn't pass their standardized high school Exit Exams? That would equal sheer torture for prospective college coaches and people on this very message board and others.

I do not agree witht the way our education system is going, but it is a hard, cold fact. And if any school thinks that prowess in an athletic program can save them, they would sadly be wrong becasue of NCLB, poorly performing schools can eventually be consolidated to other districts if the NCLB board feels it necessary. Just food for thought...

actually, there would still be ways to circumvent the tests to a degree, afterall the athlete only needs to score well enough to 'pass' the tests.

The Consumate Showman
1/10/2006, 09:21 PM
actually, there would still be ways to circumvent the tests to a degree, afterall the athlete only needs to score well enough to 'pass' the tests.

Well, let's hope that they can "pass" these tests.......From what I've heard these tests are hard, ACT-like. Some of these kids are not good test takers, some are, that's why I, along with a lot of other teachers across the state, so not like the idea of these exit exam tests. I have a hard time believing their validity as to the intellectual prowess of high school students. :rolleyes:

GDC
1/10/2006, 09:23 PM
TAHLEQUAH IS NOT WORSE THAN SAND SPRINGS

ok it is.

It's gotten better since I graduated in 83, but it's still no Jenks.

critical_phil
1/10/2006, 10:36 PM
Stanardized Tests do not determine anything in life.

true.

unless you want to be a college graduate or enter medical school or something like that....

Frozen Sooner
1/10/2006, 11:25 PM
Sweet. I'm jkm smart.

OUGreg723
1/10/2006, 11:32 PM
true.

unless you want to be a college graduate or enter medical school or something like that....

HEHE.:D

Desert Sapper
1/11/2006, 11:25 AM
true.

Yeah, or get a scholarship, academic or athletic. These tests are given entirely too much credibility. I say this as someone that has not exactly struggled much academically, but my 32 on the ACT and 4.2 GPA didn't exactly matter once I got into college. My study habits and notetaking skills did. We need to do a much better job of training our student-athletes to be students first. In the South, this is something we don't do well, mostly because of the stress we place on athletics. I certainly hope someday we can adjust our priorities.

Scott D
1/11/2006, 05:29 PM
Well, let's hope that they can "pass" these tests.......From what I've heard these tests are hard, ACT-like. Some of these kids are not good test takers, some are, that's why I, along with a lot of other teachers across the state, so not like the idea of these exit exam tests. I have a hard time believing their validity as to the intellectual prowess of high school students. :rolleyes:

Well that's going to be an interesting bridge when we get to it, since the focus of the education system is shifting to only prepare kids to take standardized tests by lording money over the schools via results. I think test scores will likely go up, however education will go down. So more kids will be eligible, but fewer will be prepared to go beyond high school.

OUGreg723
1/11/2006, 06:51 PM
Yeah, or get a scholarship, academic or athletic. These tests are given entirely too much credibility. I say this as someone that has not exactly struggled much academically, but my 32 on the ACT and 4.2 GPA didn't exactly matter once I got into college. My study habits and notetaking skills did. We need to do a much better job of training our student-athletes to be students first. In the South, this is something we don't do well, mostly because of the stress we place on athletics. I certainly hope someday we can adjust our priorities.

Exactly my point. The tests don't determine anything. They don't determine how well you work with people, or what kind of person you are, or how hard you work. Those are the skills and qualities that matter and get you places in life. You may score well on a test. That may get you into college, but it doesnt mean you WILL be successfull.

Collier11
1/11/2006, 10:45 PM
I made a 21 on the act and im fixing to graduate college, I know several kids who scored alot higher than me who have flunked out or dropped out...standardized tests dont prove anything except for how well you can take a test

Kels
1/12/2006, 12:04 AM
Yeah, ask jkm how many wunderkinds from SHS '90 actually finished college, let alone in a standard four years and/or without losing their scholarships due to bad grades. Including me and him . . .

Standardized testing is a pitiful barometer for success in life. Our college roommate, who's native language is Spanish, got a D-- in the course as a senior at a rural high school. He gets into OU because of his minority status (his ACT score was laughable), and is now pulling down $120k a year as a banker.

There has got to be a better way to rank athletes and students competing for a college education and scholarships.

BOOMERBRADLEY
1/12/2006, 12:13 AM
Other Gerald McCoy thread > This one

The Consumate Showman
1/12/2006, 12:17 AM
Other Gerald McCoy thread > This one

Why thank you...:)

Widescreen
1/12/2006, 12:28 AM
Someone start a standardized test thread so this one can get back to focusing on whether McCoy is going to sign with us or not.

okienole3
1/12/2006, 12:31 AM
Here is a new one, because jreed's punk *** got the last one locked.

Any chance at all we can get this guy. I can't believe someone in our own backyard is ranked that high on the USA Today overall list (I believe he was 4). JKM has made some good points about former top d-linemen in Oklahoma. Anyway, sounds like a great kid. At the very least, maybe he could be the next Jamaal Brown.

I can't believe this 10 page thread all started because jreed got the last one deleted.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/12/2006, 02:13 AM
Yeah, ask jkm how many wunderkinds from SHS '90 actually finished college, let alone in a standard four years and/or without losing their scholarships due to bad grades. Including me and him . . .

Standardized testing is a pitiful barometer for success in life. Our college roommate, who's native language is Spanish, got a D-- in the course as a senior at a rural high school. He gets into OU because of his minority status (his ACT score was laughable), and is now pulling down $120k a year as a banker.

There has got to be a better way to rank athletes and students competing for a college education and scholarships.

mono was the suck. joe needs a raise. he probably works more in an hour than i worked last year...

RacerX
1/12/2006, 07:28 AM
i believe 4 was the lowest score you could get

That was achieved by Glenn Bell.

Soonrboy
1/12/2006, 07:55 AM
Gerald will pass any test given him...he's a sharp kid.

Mjcpr
1/12/2006, 09:06 AM
That was achieved by Glenn Bell.
Ahhh, Glenn Bell......I think he was a year ahead of me at Muskogee High School. They won the state championship my Jr year.

Found an article that mentions a couple of the players, including Bell. Apparently he went on to get a degree from Southeastern State University and works in Las Vegas.

http://www.muskogeephoenix.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050707/SPORTS/507070319

RacerX
1/12/2006, 09:20 AM
Glenn told anybody and everybody that he made a 4.

Good for him getting a degree and doing something with himself. He was charged along with Bernard Hall and Nigel Clay. He was not convicted.

Desert Sapper
1/12/2006, 10:54 AM
1988 was just such a special year...:eek:

The Consumate Showman
1/12/2006, 12:07 PM
1988 was just such a Special Ed year...:eek:

Fixed

RacerX
1/12/2006, 01:28 PM
FWIW, OU had a bad rep after all those incidents...but Colorado was recruiting Nigel Clay as his prison release date approached and were trying to qualify him based on some class work he did whilst incarcerated.

The Consumate Showman
1/12/2006, 01:32 PM
FWIW, OU had a bad rep after all those incidents...but Colorado was recruiting Nigel Clay as his prison release date approached and were trying to qualify him based on some class work he did whilst incarcerated.

ouch..

that's gotta hurt the ol' ralphie-boy and his buffs :eek:

RacerX
1/12/2006, 01:37 PM
They didn't get it done.

My brother was the records officer at JLCC at the time.

snp
1/13/2006, 10:32 PM
How do these ND guys keep hearing about these rumors? Newest one I heard his gf is pregnant and not leaving the state.

Yay for pre-marrital sex!

...But, I don't buy this either. Let's keep waiting.

BillyBall
1/15/2006, 12:48 PM

The latest rumor I have heard is that he is already an OU commit. Supposively he is in College Station this weekend to "verify his thoughts"

BASSooner
1/15/2006, 03:18 PM
isnt McCoy supposed to be on tv today?

Desert Sapper
1/15/2006, 03:27 PM
I heard somebody say that on the other McCoy thread...