PDA

View Full Version : New TE verbal

Widescreen
12/11/2005, 02:07 PM
Eric Mensik

Anyone know anything about him? He's not ranked by Rivals.

Big Red Ron
12/11/2005, 02:14 PM
Some players go through the entire recruiting process without picking up an offer from a big-time Big 12 or SEC program. For Rosenberg (Texas) Terry tight end Eric Mensik (http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=35867) he picked up not just one, but two offers from BCS programs in a matter of minutes on Monday night.

After already having a pretty impressive resume of suitors like Memphis, TCU, UTEP, UCF and other mid-level programs, Mensik added scholarship offers from both Oklahoma and Arkansas during a 10-minute span Monday that still has him on cloud nine.

"I was like 'oh my God,' I can't believe this," Mensik said. "The first people that called me were teams like Duke, Memphis, UTEP and TCU, you know mainly Conference USA type teams. There is nothing wrong with that at all, and I was real honored to have them looking at me. But all of a sudden the bigger schools called me, and I couldn't believe what was happening.

"I get an offer from a Big 12 school and then 10 minutes later I got a scholarship offer from an SEC school. I still can't believe it."

Mensik explained how the Oklahoma and Arkansas offers came down.

"Coach Kevin Sumlin (http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewcoach.asp?Coach=87) called me, and were just talking about normal football stuff," Mensik said. "Then he asked me how I would feel if I got a scholarship offer from Oklahoma. I didn't know what to say. I told him I would be excited, and he said 'good because you now have one.'

"My mouth just dropped. I was so astonished. Oklahoma has such a great history in football, and everybody knows how great of a coach Bob Stoops is."

So what about the Razorback offer?

"Chris Vaughn (http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewcoach.asp?Coach=265) called me about 10 minutes after I talked to Oklahoma," Mensik said. "He said he was actually recruiting one of my teammates when he found me. I was already happy as it was with the Oklahoma offer, and then he said you've got a scholarship to Arkansas.

"My day got a whole lot better. I couldn't think of anything that might be able to top that."

The 6-foot-5, 231-pound Mensik impressed at the Ft. Worth NIKE Training Camp, but for one reason or another his name has not surfaced in reports on Rivals.com until now. But it's ok, too, because a lot of college coaches are now just starting to discover the talented all-district selection that caught 17 passes for 359 yards and four touchdowns as a senior.

"Teams are finally discovering that Eric is a fine player," Terry assistant head coach Allan Roberts said. "Now that people are seeing his tape and what he did this season, they know he's talented enough to play in the Big 12 or the SEC. He's got some great hands, and he's a tenacious blocker.

"He's going to be a real steal for somebody because he's still kind of being under-recruited."

Mensik played a key role in Terry's run to the third round of the Texas state playoffs. The run ended last Saturday when the Rangers were beaten by blue-chip junior quarterback Jaret Lee (http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=44707) at Brenham. Mensik said the playoff run was a once in a lifetime experience.

"We went all the way to the third round, which was father than Terry has ever been. It was a great experience, even though we lost to Brenham. It was something that I'll never forget.

"I'm a good blocker, but I like to go out and catch the ball and think I could be a good receiving tight end. Everybody I talked to said they should have thrown the ball to me a lot more this season, but we did all right the way things went."

Mensik said he would like to take all five of his official visits, but did admit that one offer might be really tough to turn down.

"The Oklahoma offer is an amazing offer," he said. "Everybody was coming up to me at school (Tuesday) telling me I should jump on it. It's going to be hard to get a better offer than Oklahoma. It's one of the best schools you could ever hope to play for.

"But I'd like to take some visits and see what happens. I was going to visit Memphis on December 9, but they hadn't officially offered me and when coach Sumlin did, I went ahead and set up a visit then."

Mensik admits the offers from Arkansas and Oklahoma still haven't quite sank in.

"I'm still smiling," he said. "Wow."

Big Red Ron
12/11/2005, 02:23 PM
6'5

snp
12/11/2005, 04:48 PM
Whenever kids sound this excited to play for OU, I get pumped. I'm still not over those attrition ratios.

Awesome.

Paperclip
12/11/2005, 05:19 PM
I don't know if we get this kid or not, but his attitude is refreshing.

Ground_Attack
12/11/2005, 07:57 PM
I don't know if we get this kid or not, but his attitude is refreshing.

rivals already has him as a commit

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/11/2005, 10:10 PM
is this the guy that could double as a long snapper?

BillyBall
12/11/2005, 10:15 PM

I believe so... Great addition.

Harry Beanbag
12/11/2005, 10:15 PM

yep.

OUstudent4life
12/12/2005, 11:01 AM
they were talking about this kid this morning on everyone's favorite place for sports info, the Sports Animal. Great TE blocker, and the added bonus (noted above) of being a deep snapper.

He can be the next guy to give a team their only points in the NC game :D.