PDA

View Full Version : Devils and Horns

Octavian
12/10/2005, 02:17 AM
A rare #1 vs. #2 early season matchup. I can remember two (UNLV-Arkansas in '91 and Kentucky-UMass in '96) that foreshadowed major runs in March. I'm interested to see if Texas' guardplay can improve. The frontcourt matchups should be a knock down drag out. Given its in East Rutherford and Reddick is back for what seems to be his seventh eigth year, I'll give the edge to the Devils.

sanantoniosooner
12/10/2005, 02:19 AM
who cares about texas teams?;)

Octavian
12/10/2005, 02:23 AM
obviously no one on this site ;)

AustinTXHorn
12/10/2005, 02:33 AM
A rare #1 vs. #2 early season matchup. I can remember two (UNLV-Arkansas in '91 and Kentucky-UMass in '96) that foreshadowed major runs in March. I'm interested to see if Texas' guardplay can improve. The frontcourt matchups should be a knock down drag out. Given its in East Rutherford and Reddick is back for what seems to be his seventh eigth year, I'll give the edge to the Devils.
When broken down, I think Texas has the overall advantage in this game.

That said, Texas' guardplay has obviously struggled and so has the ball handling. We're going to see Duke press a LOT tomorrow and that could kill Texas.

This is going to be a great game.

Octavian
12/10/2005, 02:40 AM
Really ATX? I'm suprised that you'd think Tejas will pull it out ;) It just seems that ER is like Duke's home away from Cameron and they seem to get all the calls when they play up there. That and they usually put the best talent on the floor. It should be a good game, either way I like primetime early season matchups. This matchup will benefit both teams come March.

AustinTXHorn
12/10/2005, 02:46 AM
Really ATX? I'm suprised that you'd think Tejas will pull it out ;) It just seems that ER is like Duke's home away from Cameron and they seem to get all the calls when they play up there. That and they usually put the best talent on the floor. It should be a good game, either way I like primetime early season matchups. This matchup will benefit both teams come March.
That's definitely another worry in the refs and home crowd.

But I think that Texas has more talent than Duke has healthy right now. Duke is going 6 deep. The good news for Texas is that they won't be able to press like crazy all game long with that lack of depth.

The way I think of it, Duke is basically starting two freshmen who have been pretty ineffective so far this season. McRoberts shouldn't be too much of a factor in the game so that leaves basically Shelden Williams up against Aldridge and Buckman. I think Aldridge and Williams are pretty much equal right now...so you have to give the frontcourt advantage to Texas.

Duke is playing extremely small right now with three guys on the court who are 6'1, 6'2, 6'4. The 6'4 is Redick. Who's going to guard P.J. Tucker? Dockery? BIG time mismatch here. Big advantage Texas.

Backcourt is where Duke has the advantage. Texas has had some pretty poor perimeter D the last couple of years and Redick could really burn them badly. But Gibson is obviously a better PG than Paulus is right now. Duke with the advantage here.

Texas is going to have to play their best game of the season, but I would have to say that I'm fairly confident about this game. IMO, the team has improved quite a bit (especially Daniel Gibson) ever since the Guardian's Classic.

Of course, I could just be a homer and Duke could beat us by 20 tomorrow.

Octavian
12/10/2005, 02:48 AM
How do you see the Buckman-Sheldon matchup playing out?

Octavian
12/10/2005, 02:50 AM
McRoberts shouldn't be too much of a factor in the game so that leaves basically Shelden Williams up against Aldridge and Buckman. I think Aldridge and Williams are pretty much equal right now...so you have to give the frontcourt advantage to Texas.

gotcha

AustinTXHorn
12/10/2005, 02:50 AM
How do you see the Buckman-Sheldon matchup playing out?
Double-teams. I didn't catch the Duke/Indiana game, but I would assume Texas will be doing whatever Indiana did to shut down Williams.

Offensively, Buckman needs to finish inside tomorrow. He's missed way too many close shots this year.

badger
12/10/2005, 03:29 AM
i just now found this... i thought you'd find it funny:
http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/07/00/20050224132609990019

King Crimson
12/10/2005, 12:18 PM
Texas doesn't have anyone who can guard S. Williams one-one--but, like most of Barnes teams they do have a lot of bodies/fouls to give to throw at you in the post. should be a good game.

i read on another board that UT will be wearing all-black unis.

AustinTXHorn
12/10/2005, 12:23 PM
Yep. And they're going to suck. At least it's probably only for one game.

Go Nike!

Jimminy Crimson
12/10/2005, 12:30 PM

Nike and their 'pro revolution' silliness. I know we're a 'member institution' or something like that, so whether or not we have a gray ou uniform or something oddball like that is yet to be seen.

King Crimson
12/10/2005, 12:31 PM
i wouldn't be too thrilled if OU did it. especially, since OU and UT are teams very much identified with a particular color--seems more than some others.

i'd rather see my team wear THAT color on the national stage. Tech's all blacks look like they were designed by Himmler or Speer....they have a real Nazi look to them with the red trim and white GIGANTIC lettering. ick.

CU's all blacks are OK, though.

jthomasou78
12/10/2005, 01:02 PM
obviously no one on this site ;)

Hell, Id be happy if anyone cared about Sooner Hoops on this site.

Its sad that we have one of the top teams in the country, and more people would like to talk about Barnett getting fired, or why Vince Young said something stupid about the Heisman.

King Crimson
12/10/2005, 01:42 PM
Aldridge looking good. at 18:48 Redick leans his knee into UT player on teh sideline, UT player trips and loses ball out of bounds. no foul.

quick points by Duke. 10-6

King Crimson
12/10/2005, 02:02 PM
Horns need to hang in there to close out the half, or it could get ugly. How you sf horns liking this "neutral court"?

King Crimson
12/10/2005, 02:11 PM
Josh McRoberts throws it "down" with "authority".

good player, weak dunk.

fadada1
12/10/2005, 03:22 PM
is texas that bad... or is duke that good. seems to me that duke is pretty awesome.

Cam
12/10/2005, 03:27 PM
Wow, this turned into a complete *** whupin by Duke.

Must be the uni's.

King Crimson
12/10/2005, 03:27 PM
texas isn't bad. Duke needed a time-line miracle to beat Va Tech at Cameron Indoor. six of one, half dozen of the other. you never know this early.

though outside ISU beating Iowa last night (Iowa minus one of their best players), the Big 12 is looking a bit overrated.

soonerdave79
12/10/2005, 03:28 PM
is texas that bad... or is duke that good. seems to me that duke is pretty awesome.

I think that depends on which Duke is playing. Just last week, they needed a near half-court shot at the buzzer to beat Virginia Tech.

soonerdave79
12/10/2005, 03:29 PM
Oops. You beat me to it, King Crimson

crawfish
12/10/2005, 03:31 PM
Congrats to Texas for holding the final scoring difference to under 35. ;)

OUTromBoNado
12/10/2005, 03:40 PM
Wow, did you see that Texas guy throw that arm into the Duke defender in the final 2.0 seconds? Too bad it wasn't that blatant a lot earlier. Been interested to see how that played out. Then again, maybe it did. I only got the last 2:00 minutes of the game.

From the looks of things, I didn't miss much.

breakingwind40990
12/10/2005, 04:29 PM
Wow, did you see that Texas guy throw that arm into the Duke defender in the final 2.0 seconds?

Yeah i saw that. I dont remember what Texas player it was but i know it was blatant enough to knock Pocius to the ground

GDC
12/10/2005, 04:45 PM
BWAHAHAHAHA

boomersooner28
12/10/2005, 04:47 PM
So far, Big 12 hoops looks horrible.

josh09
12/10/2005, 05:09 PM
OVERRATED

josh09
12/10/2005, 05:09 PM
man, J.J. is incredible

Skysooner
12/10/2005, 06:52 PM
Here is a Not Ready for Top 5 Point Guard.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/luke_winn/02/23/bubble.watch/t1_gibson_getty.jpg

AustinTXHorn
12/11/2005, 12:27 AM
Remember what I said about Texas' bad perimeter defense? I was worried that might be the thing that blew up in our face...and...yep.

The game wasn't as bad as the score indicated, unfortunately. It was a 5 point game about 4 minutes into the second half and then they just imploded. I think the main turning point of the game was losing Buckman, causing Mike Williams to play just about the entire game against Shelden Williams.

You can see the talent there for us. We shot 46% from the floor today which usually does not equal a 30+ point arse raping.

We still do not play like a disciplined team. Definitely still looks like a team that hasn't been playing together for long. Duke looks like a team that's played together for years. They had a whole 7 turnovers today to Texas' 16.

Good god Redick is amazing. I've never liked him and I hate him for torching Texas today, but I love watching him play. Most of those insane threes that he nailed were with decent defense.

I still think this team will go fairly deep into the tourney. Barnes obviously still doesn't have much confidece in the young guys on the bench, so they were incredibly short today.

Also didn't hurt that Duke was able to draw fouls and hit their free throws. Freaking 23/24 for the game. Texas shot 2 free throws in the first half.

Horrible game...but we'll finish top 2 in the Big 12 and go deep into the tourney.

GDC
12/11/2005, 12:28 AM
:rolleyes:

AustinTXHorn
12/11/2005, 12:29 AM
Horns need to hang in there to close out the half, or it could get ugly. How you sf horns liking this "neutral court"?
****es me off. This is the third time (second scheduled) that we've had to play Duke in New York/New Jersey without any sort of return game here!

All three times we've lost by 25+. I think Barnes has some kind of Duke block or something.

Paperclip
12/11/2005, 12:36 AM
The game wasn't as bad as the score indicated, unfortunately.

Umm, actually it was. Someone might want to point out to Tucker to not go under a screen when he's guarding a guy who is on fire from beyond the arc. Whereas the score was indicative of the game, I don't think it's indicative of Texas' season.

AustinTXHorn
12/11/2005, 12:44 AM
Umm, actually it was. Someone might want to point out to Tucker to not go under a screen when he's guarding a guy who is on fire from beyond the arc. Whereas the score was indicative of the game, I don't think it's indicative of Texas' season.
It might have been indicative of how poorly Texas played, I will agree with that. But not the game. This was a 47-42 game at the first timeout of the second half and the final score ended up being 97-66.

Octavian
12/11/2005, 01:21 AM
I think the main turning point of the game was losing Buckman, causing Mike Williams to play just about the entire game against Shelden Williams.

Agreed. You said earlier you were counting on a 2-man rotation on Shelden. But then they did pull a roll-over-and-take-it mentality in a #1 vs #2 game. Not that OU has ever done that in any sport or anything, but it will take some serious effort to regain all the confidence and make a push for a 1 seed.

Octavian
12/11/2005, 01:23 AM
I think (insert coach's name here) has some kind of Coach K block or something.

fixed that for ya ;)

AustinTXHorn
12/11/2005, 01:25 AM
but it will take some serious effort to regain all the confidence and make a push for a 1 seed.
Probably. I'm happy as long as it's at least a 2 seed, since there's not really any difference between a 1 and a 2. But this was definitely the toughest game Texas will play this season considering it was against the #1 team, basically on the road, and so early in the year.

Beat Villanova at home, split with OU, finish 1 or 2 in the Big 12, and Texas will have 4 or 5 losses and a #1 or #2 seed most likely.

GDC
12/11/2005, 09:13 AM

Missed 'em, did ya?

Paperclip
12/11/2005, 02:48 PM
This was a 47-42 game at the first timeout of the second half and the final score ended up being 97-66.

What does that have to do anything? The only time it's really valid to say a score isn't indicative of the game is when a team gets a bunch of points late when a team is forced to foul. You guys got hammered which is what the score reflects. Now, I'll say again that I don't think it indicates Texas is a bad team or won't have a great season.

King Crimson
12/11/2005, 03:00 PM
****es me off. This is the third time (second scheduled) that we've had to play Duke in New York/New Jersey without any sort of return game here!

All three times we've lost by 25+. I think Barnes has some kind of Duke block or something.

it could be worse. before the pod system, you could have been one of the many teams to play Duke or UNC in the East/South regional (depending) in Charlotte when all the other top seeds got sent way out of their region to Ogden, Utah or some place. as a mechanism of fair play, of course.

the pod system is a joke from the perspective of "sport", so this is not an endoresement of that. if it's all about money, the pod system is "money".

i hoping the horns wear the all blacks againt us.