PDA

View Full Version : Another QB in this class?

william_brasky
12/9/2005, 10:29 PM
Joey Halzle

We've offered him a 'ship.

Was an Elite 11 in High School.

3 yrs of eligibility remaining.

Could be one of the more highly sought after JC quarterbacks in 2005. Possesses a strong arm, good feet, and excellent height. Was arguably the top quarterback at the 2005 JCFootball.com SoCal Combine: 4.58 forty, 4.3 shuttle, 28.7 vertical, and 21 reps on the bench at 185. Halzle is a graduate of Oaks Christian HS in southern Calif. He hopes to qualify in December and will show up at his college of choice in the spring with four years to play three.

sooner13f
12/9/2005, 10:43 PM
I didnt know what to think at first when I heard about the Sooners going after this guy. Part of me said why, dont start another problem with the QBs, rhett is getting settled. Then I realized he may be in a back up role or could even compete against rhett in the fall. Well who cares... Im drunk and cant see the screen well anyways...so bring him on.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/9/2005, 11:27 PM
i don't think we have a choice. we have to get some qbs redshirted if we are going to be a championship team.

william_brasky
12/10/2005, 12:09 AM
Quality depth is what we need at every position.

The last JUCO QB we brought in here wasn't too shabby either.

47straight
12/11/2005, 12:04 AM
This is a complete hack's observation:

Some football players go to JUCO b/c they have to qualify. I think it is a positive thing to get guys some extra academic steps to better prep for 4-year colleges like OU.

BUT

I feel a little different about the QB position in this regard. I think it's imperative that he be relatively bright and sharp. Poor effort in the classroom for a QB usually leads to ****-poor results for their career. Rumor had it that Tommy Grady just didn't care about academics... I feel it showed up in the worst way.

My impression about Heupel was that he was one of those guys who went to JUCO b/c he didn't get enough looks by D1 coaches, not b/c of a low high school GPA or test scores.

Anyways, I'm wary of a QB who couldn't qualify straight outta high school. Haven't noticed any other negative correlations with other positions. Hopefully the guy is dedicated and mature now, if he wasn't already.

47straight
12/11/2005, 12:07 AM
http://www.joeyhalzle.com/wst_page4.html

Well, he's bright. Deep 6 everything I said. Why did he go to JUCO if he made the Elite 11 camp? :confused:

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/11/2005, 12:17 AM
he didn't get any big D1 offers. oregon invited him to walkon. smart move if you ask me...

GDC
12/11/2005, 10:27 AM

Juco QB visiting Sooners
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
12/11/2005

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said a few weeks back he would like to go after a junior college quarterback to add depth, either to back up starter Rhett Bomar next season, or to push him.

So among OU's campus visits this weekend is Joey Halzle, a first-year QB from Golden West Community College in Huntington Beach, Calif.

Halzle (6-foot-4, 215) is visiting OU this weekend and Michigan next weekend, he told several recruiting services.

"I was just making a highlight tape and sent it out at the end of the season, and I guess Oklahoma liked what they saw," Halzle told SoonerScoop.com. "They've been on me ever since then."

Halzle was on the PrepStar all-region team at Oaks Christian High School in Westlake Village, Calif., and as a junior reportedly threw 27 touchdown passes. But at 175 pounds, he wasn't heavily recruited, with his only Division I offer as an invited walk-on at Oregon.

The summer after his senior year, Halzle broke an ankle, so he didn't enroll until last January, meaning he has four years to play three at the Division I-A level. He plans to enroll at his college of choice in January and practice in the spring.

According Scout.com,

Halzle "was arguably the top quarterback at the 2005 JCFootball.com SoCal Combine."

The Sooners are in the market because backup Paul Thompson, a senior next year, is considering a full-time switch to wide receiver. That means OU's other two QBs for next year are Putnam City North commitment Sam Bradford and walk-on sophomore Hays McEachern. Bomar will be a sophomore next season.

GottaHavePride
12/11/2005, 01:35 PM
I think it's a good move. If he still has a redshirt available, he could take it and still have a year to play after Bomar leaves. (Hey, it works for Mike Leach.) Also, if the guy is good enough, his presence will probably push Bomar to become better much faster than if Bomar had no real competition.

Ground_Attack
12/11/2005, 02:41 PM
according to Rivals he has accepted the scholly.

william_brasky
12/11/2005, 05:16 PM
according to Rivals he has accepted the scholly.

yes it does. I like this pickup. now we got a legit (let's hope) backup to Bomar.