PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Foust update

Rhino
12/5/2005, 03:15 PM
Good to see things are looking up for him.

Reading up on other articles on that site, I read about the coaching staff's struggle with taking him and Sampson vouching for his character. Hope he makes the most of his second chance.

Friday, August 26, 2005
Redhawks land heralded OU transfer (http://www.semissourian.com/story/1115476.html)
Foust will have two years of eligibility at Southeast.
Marty Mishow
Southeast Missourian

Brandon Foust won't be able to participate in an official basketball game at Southeast Missouri State for more than a year, but it's doubtful the Redhawks' program has ever landed a more highly rated player.

Foust, whose transfer to Southeast from the University of Oklahoma was announced on Thursday, will have to sit out the 2005-06 season under NCAA transfer rules, although he will be able to practice with the Redhawks.

As long as Foust meets academic requirements, he will have two years of eligibility remaining, beginning with the 2006-07 season.
"We're very excited to have him in our program," Southeast coach Gary Garner said. "He has the potential to be the best recruit ever at Southeast."

Foust, a 6-foot-6, 210-pound guard/forward, was a consensus top-75 player nationally as a senior at Brookhaven High School in Columbus, Ohio. He was recruited by some of the nation's top programs, including Pittsburgh and Cincinnati, before picking Oklahoma.

As a freshman at Oklahoma in 2003-04, Foust played in 28 games and started the last two. His season averages were just 4.1 points and 2.8 rebounds per game in 14.1 minutes of playing time, but he averaged 10.5 points and 5.2 rebounds over the final six contests, including 14.7 points and 6.7 rebounds over the last three games.

Foust's late-season charge as a freshman was highlighted by a career-high 19 points during a first-round NIT win over LSU. He followed that with 14 points and a career-high eight rebounds in an NIT loss to Michigan.
Foust, who was mainly used inside as a freshman, said he was primed for a big sophomore season but had trouble adjusting when the Sooners tried moving him to the perimeter. He played in five games, averaging 11.6 minutes and 2.8 points, before deciding to leave the program at the semester.

"I wanted to play a lot more. I wasn't really playing that much early," Foust said. "I had to adjust to playing guard, and it was tough."

Foust, returning home to Columbus after leaving Oklahoma, began looking for a place to resume his basketball career. He said his relationship with Southeast assistant coach Toby Lane -- a former assistant at Oklahoma who was with the Sooners during Foust's freshman season -- helped sway him toward the Redhawks.

"He had a lot to do with it," Foust said. "I talked to him a lot."
Foust, who was by one recruiting service rated as high as No. 58 nationally among high school players while at Brookhaven, helped his team to a No. 25 final national ranking as a senior.

When Foust was a junior, Brookhaven captured the Ohio Division I state title -- defeating LeBron James' squad from Akron for the championship. Foust played on Brookhaven teams that went a combined 82-4 during his sophomore through senior seasons.

"All I have seen of Brandon is a little highlight tape, but from what I've seen, the way he was rated and his performance ... he is a very good basketball player," Garner said. "I'd say he'd have to be the highest-rated player we've had."

Foust, who began classes this week and has participated in pickup games with Redhawks players, said he feels comfortable at Southeast. Even though he will only be able to practice this season, he said he'll make the most of that time.

"I'm very happy with my decision. I feel I made the right choice," Foust said. "I get along real good with all the players and coaches.

"It will be tough [to sit out this season], but I'll try to go hard in practice and cheer on the team."

Foust will join another transfer, 6-9, 250-pound center Michael Rembert from Bradley, in sitting out this season under NCAA transfer rules.

Big John
12/7/2005, 06:03 PM
Why did he leave OU in the first place?

Rhino
12/7/2005, 06:06 PM
Grades.

Big John
12/7/2005, 06:11 PM
I thought Sampson was just running his players into the dirt every practice because most players only last 2 years tops.

Stanley1
12/7/2005, 10:24 PM
Grades.

Doubt his bad attitude, friendship with Drew, and propensity to steal helped either.

Rhino
12/8/2005, 12:13 AM
Well, no. But ultimately, like Moe, it was grades.

critical_phil
12/8/2005, 12:29 PM
Well, no. But ultimately, like Moe, it was cheeseburgers.

:D