PDA

View Full Version : Josh Johnson will not be a Sooner :(

OU_Sooners75
12/3/2005, 03:35 PM
the Ponca City RB, has verbally committed to Iowa State along with the DE stud Rashawn Parker from Ponca City.

I cant believe Stoops is allowing Talent like these two in-state products slip through this fingers....STUPID...just plain STUPID!

BOOMERBRADLEY
12/3/2005, 03:42 PM
Maybe they wanted to get away from home ?

NickZeppelin
12/3/2005, 04:12 PM
I would rather get the best in the nation then the best in the state.

Catch 22
12/3/2005, 04:36 PM
Is Ponca City in Oklahoma?

Rhino
12/3/2005, 05:20 PM
Johnson fits Iowa State's system MUCH better than ours.

BASSooner
12/3/2005, 05:59 PM
Wh are we worrying about this? We either get madu, murray, or chris brown, but i would mostly get murray, he fits in well to our offense IF we return to the spread like we did in the old days

jdsooner
12/4/2005, 01:47 PM
As a Ponca fan, I wish them well. After watching Dre Stout from Muskogee, I must honestly say that I think the best in state this year was a junior.

jdsooner
12/4/2005, 01:48 PM
Is Ponca City in Oklahoma?

Barely!;) Unfortunately, it is big time cowboy country!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/4/2005, 02:09 PM
recruiting oklahoma is tricky especially for fans.

OU_Sooners75
12/4/2005, 02:38 PM
Johnson fits Iowa State's system MUCH better than ours.

You obviously never seen the kid play have you?

Johnson would fit in nicely at OU.

He is a big strong back, and has very good hands.

OU_Sooners75
12/4/2005, 02:38 PM
I would rather get the best in the nation then the best in the state.

The guy is one of the best in the nation.

FaninAma
12/4/2005, 02:44 PM
I wish the kids well. Man, if my kid was a lifelong OU fan I would be looking hard at having him walk on. I know the finances of every family won't allow that option.

The DE prospect migh have gotten an offer in previous years but we are going to be pretty deep at that position for a couple of years. It's probably not a big need area.

OU_Sooners75
12/4/2005, 02:53 PM
I wish the kids well. Man, if my kid was a lifelong OU fan I would be looking hard at having him walk on. I know the finances of every family won't allow that option.

The DE prospect migh have gotten an offer in previous years but we are going to be pretty deep at that position for a couple of years. It's probably not a big need area.

Both are OU fans, the Bubba Parker was never looked at by OU, and i know why, he is a little to small for a DE for OU, but the kid would make a good LB with his knack at getting to the ball, and his speed.

However, Johnson's biggest problem is he hasnt took any tests yet, as in ACT or SAT.

But it is a shame that OU never really gave the kid a look, because he is a helluva RB....good balance between speed and power.

Johnson is a cousin of my son, not me though...and has a great attitude...I am sure if OU approached him he would consider even walking on...but OU hasnt really gave him a look....He just named OU as a possible school and received a couple of letters from them.

However, i wish him well in Ames...the kid is going to be a good RB in the College Ranks...I just wish Stoops would recruit more in-state talent that ends up on the East Coast or elsewhere.

Harry Beanbag
12/4/2005, 07:14 PM
I didn't know OU Sooners75 was the nation wide recruiting authority. According to Rivals, Johnson's only offer was ISU. Parker's only other offers were UAB and Wyoming.

I wish the guys the best of luck in Ames, and I hope they have good careers. But just because you know them doesn't mean they merit scholarship offers to play football at OU.

Stoops has offered more Oklahoma guys this year than he has in at least 5 years.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/4/2005, 08:06 PM
courtney tennial pretty much destroyed any chance of guys like johnson ever getting offers. they are good, but there is more than a decent chance they will never see the field at OU. since tennial bailed after 1 semester to play at a school where he had a better chance to see the field, Stoops isn't going to take a chance on anyone else in that situation. if he thinks they can't play at OU but could play at ISU, then he'll let them go. with the new academic crap, he really has no choice but to do it.

OU_Sooners75
12/4/2005, 11:18 PM
As a Ponca fan, I wish them well. After watching Dre Stout from Muskogee, I must honestly say that I think the best in state this year was a junior.

The guy is good, but he also had a HUGE OL and FB blocking for him.

If he was that good, he would be plastered all over Rivals, which he isnt.

OU_Sooners75
12/4/2005, 11:23 PM
I didn't know OU Sooners75 was the nation wide recruiting authority. According to Rivals, Johnson's only offer was ISU. Parker's only other offers were UAB and Wyoming.

I wish the guys the best of luck in Ames, and I hope they have good careers. But just because you know them doesn't mean they merit scholarship offers to play football at OU.

Stoops has offered more Oklahoma guys this year than he has in at least 5 years.

LOL...yeah, that is why Wyoming, ISU, Okie Lite, Tulsa and a few others at the beginning of the season was on his list.

The kid is basically part of my family since he is my sons cousin....he has letters from more than just ISU.

I talked to the Rivals guys, they told me in an email the only way the get their info is by talking to the recruit and his coaches....and everytime the recruit narrows his list, so do they.

And if you do look at rivals, you can see they do not have his page updated.

okienole3
12/5/2005, 12:43 AM
The guy is one of the best in the nation.

If he was that good, he would be plastered all over Rivals, which he isnt.

Your two comments don't seem to mesh. Two different standards for two different kids.

UncleLou
12/9/2005, 02:55 AM
I am Josh Johnson Uncle. Josh is considered to be the best running back in the state of oklahoma. Gaining 2000 yards is a great accomplishment for any back. When you look pound per pound of the offensive line compared to the defensive lines, Ponca city never matched up. Every team Ponca City played stacked the line. Someone commented that Josh only got a couple of letters from colleges, thats was false, Josh got hundreds of letters. Josh had been looked by Iowa State since he was a junior. Josh felt comfortable with the coaching staff and what they offered to him not only as a player but the all around package. Josh wanted to go to a program where He could best be utilized. I wish that all players that goes to another level success.

PrideTrombone
12/11/2005, 05:23 PM
LOL...yeah, that is why Wyoming, ISU, Okie Lite, Tulsa and a few others at the beginning of the season was on his list.

Um, no offense to this kid, but we probably shouldn't be competing with Wyoming, ISU, and Tulsa for most recruits anyway.

Salt City Sooner
12/11/2005, 06:06 PM
Uh, we landed a JUCO QB from South Dakota a few years back whose other only other offers came from the likes of Utah St. & New Mexico. I kinda liked the way he turned out. I seem to to remember a pint-sized RB from Texas who, until A&M offered the day before signing day, had a D-1 offer from OU & OU ONLY. Name escapes me, but I sure do remember him getting booed ( or was that Q'ed?) a lot. There was also this TOTALLY unknown LB from Fort Gibson who was pretty much in the same boat who's collecting quite a paycheck from the Lions right now.....

Long story short, you never can tell. There's a reason that the phrase "recruiting is an inexact science" is the most used one on the subject.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/11/2005, 07:05 PM
Uh, we landed a JUCO QB from South Dakota a few years back whose other only other offers came from the likes of Utah St. & New Mexico. I kinda liked the way he turned out. I seem to to remember a pint-sized RB from Texas who, until A&M offered the day before signing day, had a D-1 offer from OU & OU ONLY. Name escapes me, but I sure do remember him getting booed ( or was that Q'ed?) a lot. There was also this TOTALLY unknown LB from Fort Gibson who was pretty much in the same boat who's collecting quite a paycheck from the Lions right now.....

Long story short, you never can tell. There's a reason that the phrase "recruiting is an inexact science" is the most used one on the subject.

they never offered Q. they took the other running back in the backfield. have no idea what his name was.

Salt City Sooner
12/11/2005, 09:33 PM
A&M did indeed take his backfield mate (you're not the only one who forgot his name, lol) but Q himself told me that A&M did extend an offer the day before signing day. It was a TOTAL accident, but I ran into him when I was coming through Denver on the way back from vacation in Yellowstone a couple of years ago & decided to run by Mile High & get a couple of pics of the stadium while waiting on the Rockies game to start. We talked for a good 20 minutes or so, until I pulled my head out & realized that I was probably keeping him from things that were a bit higher on his priority list. Very, VERY polite guy to say the least.

CatfishSooner
12/12/2005, 12:01 AM
I love Q...

stoopified
12/21/2005, 03:28 PM
Funny how a guy who runs up big stats like Josh did in the last two years(3800 yards,40+ tds,7+ yards a carry average) gets no love mainly because he is not playing in either the OKC or Tulsa areas.Mosis is roughly the same size as Josh,is not a hair faster and has inferior stats and yet because he is in the OKC Metro area he gets the love.I have nothing against Madu,as a Sooner I hope he is the next AD but I think Josh has been unfairly misjudged and underratted.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/21/2005, 03:41 PM
the major difference is that madu can play corner

Ruuuuuufus
1/13/2006, 11:00 PM
so, um... not to bring up old topics or anything, but I've heard that Josh is likely headed the juco route next year. Any of our posters close to the situation wish to comment?

OU_Sooners75
1/15/2006, 10:06 PM
so, um... not to bring up old topics or anything, but I've heard that Josh is likely headed the juco route next year. Any of our posters close to the situation wish to comment?

He is a very strong verbal to Iowa State. That is the last thing i have heard. It also depends on what he scored on his ACT.

I live in Ponca, and i havent read anything about him as of late.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/16/2006, 10:18 PM
Just becuase he is from the state doesn't make them the best fit for OU or the reason to recruit them...

usmc-sooner
1/16/2006, 11:47 PM
A&M did indeed take his backfield mate (you're not the only one who forgot his name, lol) but Q himself told me that A&M did extend an offer the day before signing day. It was a TOTAL accident, but I ran into him when I was coming through Denver on the way back from vacation in Yellowstone a couple of years ago & decided to run by Mile High & get a couple of pics of the stadium while waiting on the Rockies game to start. We talked for a good 20 minutes or so, until I pulled my head out & realized that I was probably keeping him from things that were a bit higher on his priority list. Very, VERY polite guy to say the least.

jkm says otherwise:rolleyes:

just kidding:D

OU4LIFE
1/17/2006, 03:56 PM
The biggest reason he wasn't on OU's list is the same reason he's not going to be playing at Iowa State this year, he won't qualify.

He's flat out said that "You don't have to have good grades to get into college football, they have tutors and stuff".

I think kid is very talented, and could play for OU or any number of colleges, but he needs to get his grades in line first.

OU_Sooners75
1/17/2006, 05:46 PM
The biggest reason he wasn't on OU's list is the same reason he's not going to be playing at Iowa State this year, he won't qualify.

He's flat out said that "You don't have to have good grades to get into college football, they have tutors and stuff".

I think kid is very talented, and could play for OU or any number of colleges, but he needs to get his grades in line first.

Source? because my older brother is friends with one of his uncles...and I have never read anything about this.

His grades are fine....I think it is his test scores. If that is the only thing, then he can still go and be redshirted.

usmc-sooner
1/17/2006, 06:46 PM
the major difference is that madu can play corner

In another thread you said Madu and Brown were probably better than Murray and would be the only 2 backs to push Patrick for Playing Time.

"well, las vegas is not what i'd call a mecca of foosball so i can see where they get that. as a matter of a fact, i'll bet that his own defense was one of the better ones he faced all year (especially when they had ryan reynolds). however, murray is one of the few running backs we've recruited that camped at OU. so the coaches should have a pretty good idea of his skills.

the only guys that are going to push patrick's carries down are madu and brown. "

Do you now think Madu is being recruited as a cornerback or are you saying he maybe a D.J. Wolfe type project?

RacerX
1/17/2006, 07:45 PM
Source? because my older brother is friends with one of his uncles...and I have never read anything about this.

:norm:

OU4LIFE
1/18/2006, 06:17 AM

His grades are fine....I think it is his test scores. If that is the only thing, then he can still go and be redshirted.

Source = someone who works at the school.

and please don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the kid. He has a boatload of talent, but from the things i've heard he needs to realize that grades are important. Doesn't it seem strange to you that he "has good grades" yet can't post a decent test score?

Sooner_Bob
1/18/2006, 08:59 AM

and please don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the kid. He has a boatload of talent, but from the things i've heard he needs to realize that grades are important. Doesn't it seem strange to you that he "has good grades" yet can't post a decent test score?

Don't worry. I hear your Home Ec test score records are safe.

OU4LIFE
1/18/2006, 09:41 AM
*whew*

OU_Sooners75
1/20/2006, 05:57 PM

My Test scores were lower than my grades...however that doesnt reflect teacher just passing me.

I didnt have the attention span then to stay with a 4 hour test.

Ever think that may be the reason for him?

OU4LIFE
1/20/2006, 06:10 PM
no.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/20/2006, 06:24 PM
In another thread you said Madu and Brown were probably better than Murray and would be the only 2 backs to push Patrick for Playing Time.

"well, las vegas is not what i'd call a mecca of foosball so i can see where they get that. as a matter of a fact, i'll bet that his own defense was one of the better ones he faced all year (especially when they had ryan reynolds). however, murray is one of the few running backs we've recruited that camped at OU. so the coaches should have a pretty good idea of his skills.

the only guys that are going to push patrick's carries down are madu and brown. "

Do you now think Madu is being recruited as a cornerback or are you saying he maybe a D.J. Wolfe type project?

i don't know where he is going to play at this point. i think he is probably a corner unless he can prove he has more potential at running back. the key is that he has the potential to be plugged into a skill position where he is needed whereas johnson would have 1 role.

NormanPride
1/21/2006, 11:05 AM
Personally, I like DJ at corner. If Madu can produce the same way he did after just a spring to get used to the role, then that would be awesome.