PDA

View Full Version : Official Dallas Stars thread

mrowl
12/3/2005, 09:19 AM
and, after much consideration, much debate, Mike Modano is back. He is a force to be reckoned with on the power play once again. He is doing everything right. And I am only dissapointed that Jussi is not on his line right now.

mrowl
12/3/2005, 09:27 AM
Almost forgot...

the hot chick sitting next to me last night made me bleed.

When Jussi scored on the shootout, her hand nailed my face and her fingernails took out a chunk of skin on the forehead.

All was forgiven when I noticed her hotness again. :D

GrapevineSooner
12/9/2005, 11:56 AM
Strange game the other night.

Dallas goes up 3-0 in the first only to see Florida tie it back up in the second.

Then the Stars get a boat load of power plays in the third and do nothing with them...

Until they score with 15 seconds left in the game to win handing the Panthers their 10th straight loss.

mrowl
12/10/2005, 10:22 AM
that was strange... Boucher missing was a problem.

Good to see he will be back soon.

mrowl
12/12/2005, 09:59 AM
Awesome win against the Leaf on Sat. night!

mrowl
3/30/2006, 11:22 AM
okay, its time to get your head ready for the playoffs, and ready to bring Lord Stanleys Cup to Dallas.

quick hits:

- Zubov took a cheap shot last night, and limped off the ice, and did not return. We will certainly see retaliation for this on Fri. night when we face the ducks again. BUT, I hope that Zubov is okay, since there has not been any word from the Stars about his injury.

- Guerin will probably be back next week, but who has noticed? Stu Barnes has been a great addition to the 2nd line. If I was Tippett I wouldn't mess with it. But Guerin is making $7M to score goals, so he will be pressured to put him back on that line.

- Tippett and crew were extended through '08, good move by Armstrong and Hicks

- Modano is getting hot at the greatest time. 72 points, 24 +/- leads the team. And Arnott is hitting his stride at the right time also (69 points)

And is this where I can make fun of the Maple Leafs for their HORRIBLE off-season moves that put them OUT of the playoffs? :D

jk the sooner fan
3/30/2006, 11:37 AM
can we get past detroit?

hell can we get past the Kings?

mrowl
3/30/2006, 11:54 AM
LA is done. Roenick broke his ankle, and the whole team gave up on their coach, so they have a new one now.

Detroit = spurs IMO, just kinda cruising along, not really giving a flip. They may or may not be able to turn it on in the playoffs. I don't think they will get past nashville if they face them.

colleyvillesooner
3/30/2006, 12:11 PM
- Zubov took a cheap shot last night, and limped off the ice, and did not return. We will certainly see retaliation for this on Fri. night when we face the ducks again. BUT, I hope that Zubov is okay, since there has not been any word from the Stars about his injury.

Was this the one where he got a stick to the face in front of a ref with no whistle? that ****ed me off.

Also, I think Arnott playing hot is a key for us in the playoffs.

mrowl
3/30/2006, 12:21 PM
Was this the one where he got a stick to the face in front of a ref with no whistle? that ****ed me off.

Also, I think Arnott playing hot is a key for us in the playoffs.

yep that play. I emailed Heika, and he said Zubov was ok. Shouldn't miss any games.

RIGHT NOW, we would play Anaheim in the 1st round, but I bet that changes to Edmonton or Vancouver by the end of the season.

And Mitchell is the best trade deadline move of ANY team, IMO.

Scott D
3/30/2006, 12:28 PM
yep that play. I emailed Heika, and he said Zubov was ok. Shouldn't miss any games.

RIGHT NOW, we would play Anaheim in the 1st round, but I bet that changes to Edmonton or Vancouver by the end of the season.

And Mitchell is the best trade deadline move of ANY team, IMO.

Predators getting Brendan Witt was the best move :)

colleyvillesooner
3/30/2006, 12:32 PM
I'm going to my first reagular season game on April 15th. Can't wait. Been watching on TV all these years, and never made it.

Scott D
3/30/2006, 12:34 PM
I'm going to my first reagular season game on April 15th. Can't wait. Been watching on TV all these years, and never made it.

slacker :P

then again I haven't been to a game since 96 :D

Williesan
3/30/2006, 01:38 PM
Moving Modano to the point on the power play has worked wonders in the last few weeks. I also have to wonder if he's a little fired up after the Olympics flop and is pushing to prove he's still the force to be reckoned with like he was in '99.

Ought to be interesting for the last three weeks - most of the games are in the division, especially vs. Anaheim, LA and Phoenix.

The teams that scare me in the playoffs are Anaheim (playing well), Edmonton (I still have nightmares about Ryan Smyth's series winner in 1997) and San Jose (add Thornton for an instant winner.)

I still can't believe it's almost time to start counting your wins in fours again.

Williesan

mrowl
3/30/2006, 02:04 PM
Giguere still ****es me off. The NHL needs to crack down on the jerseys that are 6 sizes to BIG for a goalie. He is still trying to pull that crap.

WisconsinSooner
3/30/2006, 02:18 PM
11/4/2005 by mrowl "BTW, Dave Tippet won't see another Stars home game after tonight..."

Since you threatened a hit on Tippet mrowl the Stars have really picked it up. Congrats.

mrowl
3/30/2006, 02:28 PM
11/4/2005 by mrowl "BTW, Dave Tippet won't see another Stars home game after tonight..."

Since you threatened a hit on Tippet mrowl the Stars have really picked it up. Congrats.

thank god I was wrong. Tippett realized he better light them up, and it worked.

jk the sooner fan
3/30/2006, 02:32 PM
mrowl said last season he'd never watch another ranger game, or something like that ;)

mrowl
3/30/2006, 02:37 PM
mrowl said last season he'd never watch another ranger game, or something like that ;)

call me when the walking golf shirt has been fired...

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=938701&postcount=691

I am back! :D

colleyvillesooner
3/30/2006, 03:19 PM
I'm gonna be switching avatars lioke crazy between the mavs and stars coming late april.

GrapevineSooner
3/30/2006, 03:44 PM
Moving Modano to the point on the power play has worked wonders in the last few weeks. I also have to wonder if he's a little fired up after the Olympics flop and is pushing to prove he's still the force to be reckoned with like he was in '99.

Ought to be interesting for the last three weeks - most of the games are in the division, especially vs. Anaheim, LA and Phoenix.

The teams that scare me in the playoffs are Anaheim (playing well), Edmonton (I still have nightmares about Todd Marchant's series winner in 1997) and San Jose (add Thornton for an instant winner.)

I still can't believe it's almost time to start counting your wins in fours again.

Williesan

Fixed. ;)

BTW, I don't feel worried about playing the Oil in the first round.

Not when you consider that since that playoff series in '97, Dallas has done the following to Edmonton:

1998 - Won in five games
1999 - Won in sweep (though all four wins were by one goal each)
2000 - Won in five games
2001 - Won in six games
2002 - Both missed playoffs
2003 - Won in six games

In short, the Oilers don't scare me.

Anaheim and San Jose OTOH...

mrowl
3/30/2006, 03:47 PM
I'm gonna be switching avatars lioke crazy between the mavs and stars coming late april.

don't worry, after the Mavs 2nd round exit, it will be easy. ;) well, maybe I am not kidding...

colleyvillesooner
3/30/2006, 03:51 PM
don't worry, after the Mavs 2nd round exit, it will be easy. ;) well, maybe I am not kidding...

:mad:

HoserSooner
3/30/2006, 04:01 PM
Fixed. ;)

BTW, I don't feel worried about playing the Oil in the first round.

Not when you consider that since that playoff series in '97, Dallas has done the following to Edmonton:

1998 - Won in five games
1999 - Won in sweep (though all four wins were by one goal each)
2000 - Won in five games
2001 - Won in six games
2002 - Both missed playoffs
2003 - Won in six games

In short, the Oilers don't scare me.

Anaheim and San Jose OTOH...

Hey, do you guys want Belfour back? :O

mrowl
3/30/2006, 04:04 PM
Hey, do you guys want Belfour back? :O

I bet Chicago would have some interest... ;)

HoserSooner
3/30/2006, 04:08 PM
I bet Chicago would have some interest... ;)

Even with the injury he has, he'd be doing better than the sieve they are using right now.

I think the NHL has seen the last of Eddie. Too bad he has to end his Hall Of Fame career like this though.

mrowl
3/30/2006, 04:12 PM
shoulda bought him out last summer. I thought for sure they would.

HoserSooner
3/30/2006, 04:15 PM
Yeah, he was a great goaltender. But at 41 with his history of injuries, $4.5 million was a bit of a stretch.

Don't know they had many options, allthough the way Aubin is playing right now, he may have been the answer. It has only been 2 games mind you, but if the Leafs are going to catch Montreal/New Jersey/Tampa Bay, they are going to have to ride him the rest of the way.

If I was betting money right now, I'd say the Leafs will be booking tee times on Easter weekend. :mad:

Scott D
4/1/2006, 10:11 AM
There wasn't going to be a way to get out of the Belfour situation unless the Leafs had handled it like they did the situation with Owen Nolan. How John Ferguson still has a job up there in Toronto amazes me, he keeps bloated contracts to marginal players intact, then goes out and gets questionmarks. Top that with the fact that he stated before the deadline that he didn't see the team going anywhere if they made the playoffs.

I hate this part of the season beacuse we've got the division wrapped up, and the only thing to play for is home ice throughout the playoffs, and because of Fischer's injury we have this nice little 'bump' in the road schedulewise that today is the off day in the middle of a 4 games in 5 nights string.

mrowl
4/1/2006, 10:18 AM
:mad:

Stupid Mighty Ducks of Disney.

HoserSooner
4/2/2006, 11:20 PM
There wasn't going to be a way to get out of the Belfour situation unless the Leafs had handled it like they did the situation with Owen Nolan. How John Ferguson still has a job up there in Toronto amazes me, he keeps bloated contracts to marginal players intact, then goes out and gets questionmarks. Top that with the fact that he stated before the deadline that he didn't see the team going anywhere if they made the playoffs.

The contract he gave Befour is being critisized all over the media. The Allison and Lindros aqusitions were OK in my book. Lindros was a steal and Allison lead all forwards in points up until tomorrow night.

They will buy Belfour out at $1.5 mil, and then go back to the drawing board. I don't know if Aubin is the guy either, but we'll see how he does down the stretch. He's playing great right now, but how will he do with an 82-game schedule remains to be seen.

In Ferguson's defence though, this is only his second full season as the GM, and is a rookie GM at that. I'll give him another couple of years before I join the growing lynch mob. The Leafs miscalculated on what type of player is needed for the "new" NHL, and hopefully Ferguson and company can right the ship for next year.

(I'd still love to sneak into the playoffs and grab the 8th seed. You know fans in Ottawa would be shaking in their boots having to play the Leafs in another playoff round)

GrapevineSooner
4/3/2006, 11:03 AM
No, you can keep Belfour's back. ;)

Scott D
4/3/2006, 11:09 AM
at least you have the niceness of knowing that a) Ottawa is missing their #1 goalie, and b) they are a 1 line team...shut down Alfredsson, Heatley, Spezza and you for the most part shut down their offense.

mrowl
4/7/2006, 08:57 AM
I **** my pants last night. In the 2nd period, Modano had to be helped off the ice and did not return. Looked like a knee problem.

This morning they are saying everything is ok, but we all know that hockey clubs lie their asses off.

call me worried about the playoffs now.

colleyvillesooner
4/7/2006, 09:02 AM
Yeah, Razor said he would be ok this morning, and they technically don't have to play him for 2 weeks, so I'm hoping he's ok by then.

GrapevineSooner
4/7/2006, 10:44 AM
I'm not about to put Jonathan Hedstrom in the same category as Bryan Marchment.

But if the Ducks and Stars meet in the playoffs, Hedstrom needs to be sent a message about his roles in the Zubov and Modano injuries, no matter how minute that role might have been.

tulsaoilerfan
4/9/2006, 07:24 PM
Didn't see the Zubov play, but the Modano injury was a fluke; Hedstrom did nothing dirty there IMO.

Scott D
4/10/2006, 01:51 AM
A win Tuesday night against Edmonton locks up the Western conference for us since we have a game in hand against Dallas. Looks like it 'might' also lock up the President's Trophy as well.

Scott D
4/10/2006, 07:00 AM
I could have told you guerin is overpaid...and let me guess, this is a Contract year for Arnott?

mrowl
4/10/2006, 10:18 AM
the stars are playing like they don't give a crap right now.

And Guerin sucks.

mrowl
4/11/2006, 04:56 PM
I could have told you guerin is overpaid...and let me guess, this is a Contract year for Arnott?

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Scott D
4/11/2006, 04:57 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad:

I'll take that for a yes....unfortunately for you a contract year is the only time a quality effort seems to come forth from Mr. Arnott.

mrowl
4/11/2006, 05:11 PM
I'll take that for a yes....unfortunately for you a contract year is the only time a quality effort seems to come forth from Mr. Arnott.

This also applies to:

Derian Hatcher

Richard Matvichuk :mad:

I don't care if Guerin scores the Stanley Cup winner, he STILL should have been bought out last summer. :eek: (ok, well, let me re-think this ;) )

Scott D
4/11/2006, 06:17 PM
eh, depends on what you are looking for from Matvichuk. He's never been the guy I'd look to for offensive numbers, but rather in terms of the effort he puts in on his end of the ice, which unfortunately is all too often judged by +/- which is a crappy indicator.

And considering how much ice time Hatcher's gotten since he left Dallas, you guys look the better for it. ;)

colleyvillesooner
4/15/2006, 10:50 PM
First Stars Game in person today. Success! Stars blow a 3-1 lead but score with 33.1 seconds left in Overtime. I was kinda hoping for a shootout. Great time was had by all.

mrowl
4/17/2006, 02:00 PM
FYI. ALWAYS bet on the Stars in vegas while drunk. Easy money that makes up for rangers baseball.

And the Stars are 9/2 odds to win the Cup. So I had to put $50 on them. :D

mrowl
4/18/2006, 08:10 AM
I hate meaningless games.

The stars had last nights game vs. detroit in the bag. But since no one really cares about these last 2 games, so Turco plays like that also. He allowed 2 cheap goals that ****ed me off.

Well on to Columbus.

And then bring on the Avs in the first round on Friday. This is where the Stars need to come out a dominate, must create some momentum for the playoffs.

Stars win in 5

Scott D
4/18/2006, 04:37 PM
heh we've been playing meaningless games for a month :P

mrowl
4/18/2006, 07:41 PM
http://www.dallasstars.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/ICANCKEBOGPM/banner3.jpg

http://www.dallasstars.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/ICANCKEBOGPM/banner1.jpg

mrowl
4/18/2006, 08:33 PM
well, an OT loss to Columbus is alright with me considering who sat on the bench tonight.

no Modano, no Arnott, no Turco, no Mitchell, no Boucher, no Lehtinan, no Barnes, and the scrubs almost pull out the win.

Bring on the snowballs.

WisconsinSooner
4/19/2006, 01:15 AM
My "snowballs" will be lucky to eek out one game in this series. Losing 4 of their last 5 didn't do much for my confidence. But at least they made the playoffs and this year was a buildup for next. The Av's supposedly have a lot of money and cap room for 06-07. At least they did before trading Aebischer for Theodore. Not sure what that did to next years cap.

mrowl
4/19/2006, 02:55 PM
My "snowballs" will be lucky to eek out one game in this series. Losing 4 of their last 5 didn't do much for my confidence. But at least they made the playoffs and this year was a buildup for next. The Av's supposedly have a lot of money and cap room for 06-07. At least they did before trading Aebischer for Theodore. Not sure what that did to next years cap.

good luck with that Turgeon signing... :D :D :D

WisconsinSooner
4/19/2006, 05:34 PM
good luck with that Turgeon signing... :D :D :D

Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel. And I don't see this Theodore thing either. I know there's a lot of pressure playing in Montreal being french Canadian, but I think signing him hoping the change of scenery would do him some good was wishful thinking at best. I guess time will tell. But I can't bash Pierre Lacroix. The guys amazing. He had a tough hand this year with the new salary cap. I can't wait to see what he pulls off for the 06-07 season. And is anyone going to start and official playoffs thread?

Scott D
4/19/2006, 05:55 PM
Avs are going to lose either Sakic or Tanguay, but it's highly unlikely they'll keep both....or so I heard.

WisconsinSooner
4/19/2006, 09:00 PM
Avs are going to lose either Sakic or Tanguay, but it's highly unlikely they'll keep both....or so I heard.

They put themselves in a bad position when they signed Theodore. From what I remember he's about 3 mil a year hit to the cap. The Av's losing Sakic would be like Detroit losing Stevey Y. He isn't going anywhere. He'll finish his career in Colorado. Tanguay, who knows.

mrowl
4/20/2006, 11:59 AM
In NHL news, Quinn in Toronto has been fired, and so has Patrick in Pittsburgh.

Not that those moves will help...

HoserSooner
4/20/2006, 01:27 PM
In NHL news, Quinn in Toronto has been fired, and so has Patrick in Pittsburgh.

Not that those moves will help...

Quinn was part of the problem, but the large percentage of the blame belongs to the puppet masters over the GM.

Sports radio up here is buzzing with rumors of Domi being "in" with the Chairman of the Board for MLSE, and Ferguson (GM) and Quinn being told how to do their jobs from above. Makes perfect sense....Domi wasn't a scratch until after his 1,000th game ceremony. Next game, to the press box he goes.

All is not well in Leaf land today.

HoserSooner
4/20/2006, 01:28 PM
They put themselves in a bad position when they signed Theodore. From what I remember he's about 3 mil a year hit to the cap. The Av's losing Sakic would be like Detroit losing Stevey Y. He isn't going anywhere. He'll finish his career in Colorado. Tanguay, who knows.

Don't forget though, the cap is rumored to be going up $5-$9 mil per team next season. Might be just enough to keep them both aboard and happy.

mrowl
4/20/2006, 01:51 PM
Don't forget though, the cap is rumored to be going up $5-$9 mil per team next season. Might be just enough to keep them both aboard and happy.

this is a good thing, and bad.

This means the stars will have room to re-sign Arnott and Mitchell

Mitchell will be a GREAT signing IMO

Arnott, well... I dunno.

Scott D
4/20/2006, 02:23 PM

COLORADO
Rob Blake, (III)
Bob Boughner, (III)
Brett Clark, (III)
Jim Dowd, (III)
Paul Healey, (III)
Dan Hinote, (III)
Antti Laaksonen, (III)
Joe Sakic, (III)
Karlis Skrastins, (III)

Jeff Finger, (VI)
Tom Lawson, (VI)

Peter Budaj, (II)
Riku Hahl, (II)
Vitaly Kolesnik, (II)
John-Michael Liles, (II)
Cody McCormick, (II)
Brett McLean, (II)
Kurt Sauer, (II)
Tomas Slovak, (II)
Marek Svatos, (II)
Alex Tanguay, (II)
Ossi Vaananen, (II)
Mikko Viitanen, (II)

The level 2 guys are going to be easier to keep. However I don't envy the Avs trying to figure out how to afford some of those II players and being able to continue to afford Blake, Sakic, Laaksonen, Hinote, and Skrastins.

and for Hoser, I think the Leafs might keep about half of their class III Free Agents, two of whom they've signed recently (Kilger, Kaberle).

Scott D
4/20/2006, 02:25 PM
this is a good thing, and bad.

This means the stars will have room to re-sign Arnott and Mitchell

Mitchell will be a GREAT signing IMO

Arnott, well... I dunno.

Stars need to keep Mitchell, Klemm and Hedberg....While Arnott would be 'nice' to retain...I wouldn't go too high in meeting his price unless you find a way to unload Guerin. There are cheaper scorers to be available out there.

HoserSooner
4/20/2006, 02:43 PM
The level 2 guys are going to be easier to keep. However I don't envy the Avs trying to figure out how to afford some of those II players and being able to continue to afford Blake, Sakic, Laaksonen, Hinote, and Skrastins.

and for Hoser, I think the Leafs might keep about half of their class III Free Agents, two of whom they've signed recently (Kilger, Kaberle).

Rumors are rampant about who is going to be re-signed and who is going to be let go. Khavanov, Berg, Allison, and Richardson are probably gone.

Lindos may get re-signed for a significant reduction in pay. McCabe may not be back though, which worries me. I like keeping Kilger....he finally has lived up to his first round draft pick billing.

Rumor has the Leafs trying to pick up Elias and either Redden or Charra from Ottawa. Then again, rumors in Toronto aren't exactly a new thing.
:rolleyes:

The bigger rumor is bringing Cujo back to replace Belfour. Not sure I like the sounds of that either, but the cupboard is pretty bare at this point. I don't think Aubin can last a full NHL season.

Scott D
4/20/2006, 03:20 PM
well the players that will be the most interesting to see where they end up will be Chara, Gaborik, Elias, Weight, LeClair, Tkachuk, and Brad Richards.

WisconsinSooner
4/20/2006, 04:11 PM
When I was crossing the border into Canada, they asked if I had any firearms with me. I said, "Well, what do you need?" - Steven Wright

Hilarious. I'll remember that next time I cross. Thanks for the info on the player levels for the Av's. And I had forgotten about the extra cap room next season Hoser mentioned. But I still don't buy the Theodore signing. I hope Theodore proves me wrong but if Budaj is the star goalie of the future I would rather see him continue to play right away. He played pretty well for the most part after Aebischer left. Oh well, like I said, hopefully Theodore will prove me wrong. If he doesn't we'll never be able to unload him.

WisconsinSooner
4/20/2006, 04:25 PM
On another note you guys have a great opening round weekend. (except mrowl) I on the other hand am off to get married. I had never been married before and someone told me it was fun. . . . At least I might get dual citizenship out it. Good luck everyone (except mrowl), let the games begin!

mrowl
4/20/2006, 06:20 PM
On another note you guys have a great opening round weekend. (except mrowl) I on the other hand am off to get married. I had never been married before and someone told me it was fun. . . . At least I might get dual citizenship out it. Good luck everyone (except mrowl), let the games begin!

good luck on that marriage thing, as long as you manage the salary cap, it will be fun.

OUChris
4/21/2006, 02:38 PM
Sorry to join the conversation so late, guys. SI.com is showing the Stars some love with their Cup predictions.

I think our Defense is second to none! With Zubov, Mitchell and the French Connection, I think our blue line will be a wall. I am also looking for Billy Guerin to finally break out :rolleyes:

HoserSooner
4/21/2006, 03:16 PM
The only team other than Detroit and Dallas that has a chance to move to the final, is San Jose IMO.

Calgary MIGHT have a shot, but it's basically a 2-team-race.

The East is a crap-shoot though.

OUChris
4/21/2006, 03:40 PM
Cheechoo and Thornton.....I think you are right HoserSooner. The Sharks are a concern.

Calgary's D is top-rate as well, I just don't know if anyone besides Jerome Ig. will show up....

I filled out my bracket this morning for the heck of it.....Dallas over Buffalo in six.....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Scott D
4/21/2006, 03:55 PM
btw, Dallas has been given the double kiss of death...SI and Barry Melrose.

mrowl
4/22/2006, 09:39 AM
taken from andrews:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/hockey/games/playoffs/1stroundcol.jpg

Your Dallas Stars [0] Vs The Colorado Avalanche [0]

Playoff Game 1, Overall Game 89

Game/Series: Round 1 Game 1 [Series Tied 0-0]
Where: American Airlines Center | Dallas, Texas
Date: Saturday, April 22nd
Time: 2:00 PM Central Time
TV/Rado: NBC | WBAP 820 AM | Chat Room

Want more Dallas Stars Hockey? Tune into the Dallas Stars Podcast, every night after a game!

Round 1 - Western Conference Quarterfinals: - Updated when recieved
Game 1 - 4/22 - Colorado @ Dallas - 2:00 PM - NBC
Game 2: 4/24 - Colorado @ Dallas - 8:00 PM - KDFI 27/OLN
Game 3: 4/26 - Colorado vs Dallas - 8:30 PM - FSN/OLN
Game 4: 4/28 - Colorado vs Dallas - 9:00 PM - KDFI 27/OLN
*Game 5: 4/30 - Colorado @ Dallas - 1:00 PM - NBC
*Game 6: 5/2 - Colorado vs Dallas - 0:00 PM - FSN/OLN
*Game 7: 5/4 - Colorado @ Dallas - 0:00 PM - FSN/OLN
Series Tied 0-0 - *=If Needed

Colorado Information
Official Team Site: ColoradoAvalanche.com
Fan Site: NONE
HF Board: HFBoard.com - Colorado Avalanche
Newspaper: DenverPost

Last Game - Game 1
Opponent: Dallas vs Colorado
Result: //
Goal Scorers:
//
Shots
1st: Dallas - / | Colorado - /
2nd: Dallas - / | Colorado - /
3rd: Dallas - / | Colorado - /
Overall: Dallas - // | Colorado - //
Stats
Powerplays: Dallas - / For / | Colorado - / For /
Faceoffs: Dallas - / For / | Colorado - / For /
Leading Ice time: Dallas - // [:] | Colorado - // [:]
Goalies
Dallas: // - /://- / Saves - / Shots []
Colorado: // - /://- / Saves - / Shots []
AndrewStarsPage.com Three Stars Of The Game - Voted On By Members at ASP.com
#1.
#2.
#3.
AndrewsStarsPage.com Three Bums Of The Game - Voted On By Members at ASP.com
#1.
#2.
#3.
Officials
Referees:
Linesmen:

Notes
Your Dallas Stars - #2 Seed - Pacific Division Champions
Stanley Cups: 1999
Stanley Cups Loss: 2000 [Minnesota-1981, 1991]
Playoff Record: 0-0
Regular Season Record: 53-23-6 with 112 Points
Finishes: Pacific Division-1st, Western Conference-2nd, NHL-3rd
Home Record: 28-11-2 [0-0 In Playoffs]
Away Record: 25-12-4 [0-0 In Playoffs]
Overtime Record: 15-6 [12-1 Shoot Out]
The Stars have no players injured

The Colorado Avalanche - #7 Seed
Stanley Cups: 1996, 2001
Stanley Cups Loss: N/A
Playoff Record: 0-0
Regular Season Record: 43-30-9 with 95 points
Finishes: Northwest Division-2nd, Western Conference-7th, NHL-13th
Home Record: 25-10-6 [0-0 In Playoffs]
Away Record: 18-20-3 [0-0 In Playoffs]
Overtime Record: 6-9 [3-6 Shoot Out]
The Avalanche have 4 players injured
Brad May | day-to-day | Groin
Marek Svatos | IR | Right shoulder surgery
Ossi Vaananen | IR | Leg
Steve Konowalchuk | IR | Torn ligament in right wrist - surgery

Stats:
Goals: Dallas- Colorado-
Goals Per Game: Dallas- Colorado-
Goals Allowed: Dallas- Colorado-
Goals Allowed Per Game: Dallas- Colorado-
Shots Per Game: Dallas- Colorado-
Shots Allowed Per Game: Dallas- Colorado-
Powerplay: Dallas-% Colorado-%
Penalty Kill: Dallas-% Colorado-%

All Time Series: //
Record in Dallas: Dallas 26-25-8
Last Game In Series: 3/04/06 - vs Colorado - W 5-3
Season Series: Dallas 3-1-0
Games-
10/08/05 - Colorado: 3 @ Dallas: 2
11/05/05 - Colorado: 2 vs Dallas: 3 - Shoot Out
01/26/06 - Colorado: 2 vs Dallas: 3 - Shoot Out
03/04/06 - Colorado: 3 @ Dallas: 5
//06 - Game 1 | Colorado @ Dallas
//06 - Game 2 | Colorado @ Dallas
//06 - Game 3 | Colorado vs Dallas
//06 - Game 4 | Colorado vs Dallas
This Season vs The Avalanche
Powerplay: 5 of 21
Penalty Kill: 17 of 27
Goals: Dallas 13-10
Goalies - Dallas: 3-1-0 Colorado: 1-1-2
[DAL] - Turco (1st/2nd/3rd/4th) - 247:19 - 106 of 116 Saves - 10 Goals Againist
[COL] - Budaj (1st/2nd/3rd/4th) - 249:34 - 101 of 114 Saves - 13 Goals Againist

Playoff History Vs Each Other

* 1999 [Dallas wins series 4-3]
Game 1 - Colorado struck first in the series with a 2-1 victory in Dallas.
Game 2 - The Stars clawed back to tie the series with goals from Reid, Zubov, Nieuwendyk, and Modano. Stars went on to win the game 4-2.
Game 3 - Colorado couldn't find a way to beat Ed Belfour all night and it paid as the Stars ran past the Avs for a 3-0 shut out and the 2-1 series lead.
Game 4 - The only OT game of the series ended with 31 seconds left in the first OT period, when Chris Drury kept the Avs in the series, sending them to a 3-2 victory.
Game 5 - In what many Stars fans will remember as the most craziest game of the 99 playoff series, the Stars saw two of their goals taken away and two goals that counted for the Avs that shouldn't of...as the Avs took a 3-2 series lead with a 7-5 victory in Dallas.
Game 6 - After 1 period, Stars fans began to worry trailing 1-0 but goals from Lehtinen, Matvichuk, and two from Langenbrunner escape denver with a 4-1 win.
Game 7 - Stars dominated the Colorado in one Stars fans will say was the loudest game ever at Reunion Arena. Goals by Langenbrunner, Lehtinen, and two from Keane gave the Stars to the victory, sending the team to their first Cup final in Dallas.
* 2000 [Dallas wins series 4-3]
Game 1 - The Avs started the series off like they did in 1999, with a 2-0 victory in Dallas for a 1-0 lead in the series.
Game 2 - Once again, the Stars struck back in Game 2 with a 3-2 victory.
Game 3 - The Avs retook the series lead with another shutout performance from Patrick Roy, 2-0.
Game 4 - The Stars dominated the Avs in every way of the game, leading them to a 4-1 victory over the Avs to tie the series at 2 apiece.
Game 5 - The only OT game of the series, once again, saw the Stars pull this one out and lead them to a 3-2 victory in Dallas.
Game 6 - Colorado tied the series back up in Colorado with a hard fought, 2-1 victory over the Stars.
Game 7 - A similiar fate for the Avs happened as the Stars struck out to a 3-0 lead. The Avs fought back for 2 straight goals but couldn't get anything else as the Stars held onto a 3-2 victory to win the series.
* 2004 [Colorado wins series 4-1]
Game 1 - With the series opening in Denver, the Avs dominated the Stars..giving them no room to move anywhere on the ice, and sending the Avalanche to a 3-1 victory.
Game 2 - Things got worse for the Stars as the Avs completely shut down the Stars in every way possible, sending the Avs to another 5-2 victory.
Game 3 - While the Stars barely could move a muscle, the Stars finally were able to generate enough chances and hold the Avs on defense. After being down 3-2 most of the game, the Stars got a late goal to send the game into overtime. 2:11 into the overtime period, Steve Ott rushed down the ice with two Avalanche on his back and put it in the back of the net to give the Stars hope and bring them back into the series.
Game 4 - Colorado continued to shut down the Stars offense and held a 2-0 lead late in the 2nd period. But a powerplay goal by Scott Young with less than 5 seconds to go in the 2nd gave the Stars hope, and Turgeon tied the game up late in the 3rd to send the game into another overtime session. But this time, 20 extra minutes couldn't decide it. Svatos ended the Stars hopes 5:18 into the 2nd OT period to give the Avs a 3-2 victory.
Game 5 - Back home in Denver, the Avs finished it off like they started it with a dominating, and embarassing 5-1 victory over the Stars to win the series 4-1.
* 2006 [Series Tied 0-0]

Quote:
FINAL Pacific Division Standings
1st. Dallas, 53-23-6, 112 Points
2nd. San Jose, 44-26-11, 99 Points
3rd. Anaheim, 43-27-12, 98 Points
4th. Los Angeles, 42-35-5, 89 Points
5th. Phoenix, 38-39-5, 81 Points

Quote:
Playoff Match Ups
Western Conference Match Ups
[0] 1st. Detroit VS 8th. Edmonton [0]
[0] 2nd. Dallas VS 7th. Colorado [0]
[0] 3rd. Calgary VS 6th. Anaheim [0]
[0] 4th. Nashville VS 5th. San Jose [0]

Eastern Conference Match Ups
[0] 1st. Ottawa VS 8th. Tampa Bay [0]
[0] 2nd. Carolina VS 7th. Montreal [0]
[0] 3rd. New Jersey VS 6th. New York [0]
[0] 4th. Buffalo VS 5th. Philadelphia [0]

Game 1 Games - All Times Central
Western Conference
Detroit Red Wings Vs Edmonton Oilers - 4/21 - 6:00 PM
Dallas Stars Vs Colorado Avalanche
Calgary Flames Vs Anaheim Mighty Ducks - 4/21 - 9:00 PM
Nashville Predators Vs San Jose Sharks - 4/21 - 7:00 PM
Eastern Conference
Ottawa Senators Vs Tampa Bay Lightning - 4/21 - 6:00 PM
Carolina Hurricanes Vs Montreal Canadians - 4/21 - 6:00 PM
New Jersey Devils Vs New York Rangers - 4/22 - 2:00 PM
Buffalo Sabres Vs Philadelphia Flyers - 4/22 - 6:00 PM

Look at..Dallas vs Colorado

* Records Each Month
October: Dallas: 6-4-1 | Colorado: 6-4-1
November: Dallas: 10-3-0 | Colorado: 8-5-2
December: Dallas: 8-5-0 | Colorado: 6-8-0
January: Dallas: 11-3-1 | Colorado: 9-2-2
February: Dallas: 3-2-1 | Colorado: 4-2-1
March: Dallas: 11-3-1 | Colorado: 7-5-2
April: Dallas: 4-3-1 | Colorado: 3-4-1
* Different Stats
Home Goals For/Againist: Dallas - 247/209 | Colorado - 278/247
Away Goals For/Againist: Dallas - 120/104 | Colorado - 130/136
Goals By Period 1st: Dallas - 67 | Colorado - 99
Goals By Period 2nd: Dallas - 100 | Colorado - 89
Goals By Period 3rd: Dallas - 79 | Colorado - 89
Powerplay: Dallas - 17.6% [88 For 498] | Colorado - 18.9% [89 For 473]
Shorthanded Goals: Dallas - 10GF/7GA | Colorado - 11GF/11GA
Penalty Kill: Dallas - 84.0% [82 For 504] | Colorado - 84.5% [69 For 447]
* Home Ice Advantage
Dallas will have home ice advantage againist...
Carolina, Buffalo, Nashville, Calgary, New Jersey, Philadelphia, New York, San Jose, Anaheim, Colorado, Edmonton, Montreal, Tampa Bay.
Dallas will NOT have home ice advantage againist...
Detroit, Ottawa.
Colorado will have home ice advantage againist...
Edmonton, Montreal, Tampa Bay.
Colorado will NOT have home ice advantage againist...
Detroit, Ottawa, Dallas, Carolina, Buffalo, Nashville, Calgary, New Jersey, Philadelphia, New York, San Jose, Anaheim.
* Random Stats
Record when on NBC: Dallas: 3-0-1 Colorado: 2-2-0
Record when on OLN: Dallas: 4-2-1 Colorado: 5-2-0
Longest Winning Streak: Dallas: 6 Games [Two Times] Colorado: 8 Games
Longest Losing Streak: Dallas: 3 [Two Times] Games Colorado: 3 Games [Three Times]

Team Leaders
Dallas
Goals: Jere Lehtinen - 33
Assists: Sergei Zubov - 58
+/-: Brenden Morrow - +28
Penalty Minutes: Brenden Morrow - 181
Wins: Marty Turco - 41
GAA: Johan Hedberg - 2.53
Save %: Johan Hedberg - .902%

Colorado
Goals: Marek Svatos | Joe Sakic - 32
Assists: Joe Sakic - 55
+/-: Milan Hejduk - +14
Penalty Minutes: Ian Lapperriere - 116
Wins: Jose Theodore - 18
GAA: Peter Budaj - 2.86
Save %: Peter Budaj - .900%

Series Leaders
Goals: / - /
Assists: / - /
+/-: / - /
Penalty Minutes: / - /
Wins: / - /
GAA: /- /
Save %: /- ./%

tulsaoilerfan
4/22/2006, 03:54 PM
Well, Marty is off to his usual fantastic playoff start; can't blame him for all 4 goals, but his mishap behind the net on the 2nd goal was uncalled for; i'm still not convinced he can lead him to the Cup, but i hope he proves me wrong.

john

colleyvillesooner
4/22/2006, 04:42 PM
AVS - :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Stars - :mad::mad::mad:

GrapevineSooner
4/23/2006, 09:15 AM
Well, Marty is off to his usual fantastic playoff start; can't blame him for all 4 goals, but his mishap behind the net on the 2nd goal was uncalled for; i'm still not convinced he can lead him to the Cup, but i hope he proves me wrong.

john

Well from where I sit, you can blame him for that one goal. But if it wasn't for him, this would have been 8-2.

Defensive coverage was flat out horrible yesterday. It lead to three Avalanche power play goals by being out of position and it directly led to their other three goals.

Oh, paging Mike Modano. Paging Mike Modano.

colleyvillesooner
4/23/2006, 09:44 AM
Well from where I sit, you can blame him for that one goal. But if it wasn't for him, this would have been 8-2.

Defensive coverage was flat out horrible yesterday. It lead to three Avalanche power play goals by being out of position and it directly led to their other three goals.

I agree with most of that, but it's a little early to be paging Modano. Maybe just kind hollering his name out.

tulsaoilerfan
4/23/2006, 10:52 AM

Yeah, the defense was horrible yesterday, and i agree Marty made some good saves at times, but it all went downhill after his mishap behind the net;i hope the team and Marty are strong enough to rebound from that debacle and even the series up Monday night.

John

mrowl
4/23/2006, 03:52 PM
all I have to say is this: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

and this: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

And this is for McGoo: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Can anyone remind me what the plans are for turning on that "playoff" switch thats always talked about?

JohnnyMack
4/23/2006, 10:21 PM
Here's hoping that the Stars get swept out of the playoffs. Good day.

OUChris
4/24/2006, 12:37 PM
If they keep playing like Saturday.....So much for my blue line theory....

GrapevineSooner
4/24/2006, 01:45 PM
Here's hoping Jason Arnott scores the Cup Winner against the Devils in double OT of Game 6 in the Stanley Cup Finals. ;)

mrowl
4/24/2006, 02:55 PM
Here's hoping Jason Arnott scores the Cup Winner against the Devils in double OT of Game 6 in the Stanley Cup Finals. ;)

can it be game 5 or 7 at the AAC though? Please? :D

Fugue
4/24/2006, 08:48 PM
the Stars need to wake up.

Fugue
4/24/2006, 09:17 PM
Heh, they heard me. That took about 7 minutes. 3rd goal right off the goalies ace.

colleyvillesooner
4/24/2006, 11:11 PM
:mad::mad::mad::mad:****:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :mad::mad::mad:
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:****:mad::mad:
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :mad::mad::mad::mad:
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:****:mad::mad::mad:

GrapevineSooner
4/24/2006, 11:19 PM
Turco gave up a softie.

That's all that needs to be said.

And I'm getting damn tired of watching him get outplayed by the guy at the other end in the playoffs.

No matter who it is at the other end.

colleyvillesooner
4/24/2006, 11:48 PM
2 games, 10 goals. That is all.

tulsaoilerfan
4/25/2006, 12:16 AM
Turco gave up a softie.

That's all that needs to be said.

And I'm getting damn tired of watching him get outplayed by the guy at the other end in the playoffs.

No matter who it is at the other end.
Well, i sure wish Marty had proven me wrong, but my misgivings about him seem to be dead on; honestly i thought Tippett should have pulled him and put in the Moose after they were down 3 just to try to shake up the team.

john:mad:

tulsaoilerfan
4/25/2006, 12:16 AM
And in case you missed it, that's 8 straight playoff games that Marty has given up 3 goals or more.

mrowl
4/25/2006, 06:05 AM
"Whelp, see ya later"

I, and all of DFW gave Marty a lot of chances to become a playoff goalie, and its not working out. I don't know what it is, but there is something in his head that says: "playoffs are here, start sucking"

There were 3 goals last night that were all Marty, the shot that tied the game might have ****ed me off the most, cause he had ZERO clue what to do, and just sat there as it went right past him. And the 3rd one? The OT shot that ended it. He had a clear line of vision, an easy glove catch, and he whiffs on it.

To **** me off even more? Theodore plays like Theodore, and he still looks better than Marty.

AHH!!! There is so much about that game that went right, and maybe they can carry that to Denver, but I don't know.

If the Stars lose this series, Armstrong may have signed his pink slip with that Turco contract.

mrowl
4/25/2006, 06:16 AM
oh yeah, Guerin, I HOPE YOU ARE BENCHED FOR THE REST OF THE POST-SEASON. You and your wasted $7M contract. After this season I hope to NEVER see you in a Stars uni again.

colleyvillesooner
4/26/2006, 11:24 PM
So glad we locked up Turco for that long term contract.

I've used this thing alot today:
http://colleyvillesooner.com/stuff/BigMad.jpg

GrapevineSooner
4/26/2006, 11:42 PM
So glad the refs decided to call a BS penalty against Morrow at the end.

And the compound it by missing an offsides on Colorado on the game winning goal.

Of course when you blow leads in 8 straight games, do you really deserve to catch a break?

Anyway, thank god for the Mavericks. While the Stars are completing their 6th round on the golf course next month, the Mavs will still be playing.

WisconsinSooner
4/27/2006, 12:01 AM
So glad the refs decided to call a BS penalty against Morrow at the end.

BS Penalty? :confused: Morrow shouldn't have committed a penalty. The ref's didn't have any problems calling a penalty on John-Michael Liles with under 4 to go. Try complaining about the Stars not playing with ANY sense of urgency. The Av's skated like they were the team down 2 games to 0 in the series, not the Stars. And the Stars performance in overtime was as pathetic as the Av's was stellar.

No one is more suprised that the Av's are up 3-0 in the series than I, but to blame the Stars demise so far in this series, especially tonight, on the refs is just sour grapes IMO.

GrapevineSooner
4/27/2006, 12:40 AM
You must have missed where I said this team doesn't deserve to catch a break. My rant was more or less about how the game is being officiated on it's own merits.

Dallas forgot how to hold onto leads of late. And they proved that they're simply not good enough to overcome bad calls.

Colorado, apparently, is good enough to overcome a bad call.

And yes, that was a bogus call on Liles as well. With the way the game is officiated, however, all you have to do once somebody comes within a foot of touching you is fall down and, bingo, your team gets a power play.

I understand the refs desire to open the game up. But tonight was a prime example of the officials just being flat out ridiculous in their interpretation of the rules.

mrowl
4/27/2006, 05:50 AM
the refs calls in the 3rd were BS last night.

I wonder if Turco can have his golf clubs tuned by Saturday morning?

mrowl
4/27/2006, 06:23 AM
Morrow has been the best player of this series, and deserves the C as soon as this Friday. PLEASE, give Morrow the C!!!

colleyvillesooner
4/27/2006, 07:31 AM

Oh don't wrorry, his pro shop started working on em this morning. ;)

tulsaoilerfan
4/27/2006, 08:19 AM
I wonder what the fallout from this will be? I don't see Arnott being back next season, and you have to wonder about Tippett also as this will put him at 1-3 in playoff series i believe; i think Morrow is a great player, but whether the penalty was deserved or not, you can't give the refs the chance to make that call late in the game when you are up a goal and on a Power Play.

john

mrowl
4/27/2006, 08:24 AM
I can forgive Morrow for one reason... He has played his *** off this WHOLE series. What I can't forgive are all the power play chances that the Stars had in the 3rd, and they can't do **** with it.

Arnott and Mitchell may be back...

The question is coaches and front office... I think the coaches are safe. But the front office, mainly Doug Armstrong has got to be in trouble. His Guerin and Turco signings are looking to be horrible right now.

Why do you sign Turco mid-season? That gives him ZERO incentive to play great right now, he knows that he already has a job........... ugh. gah. and ****!

Scott D
4/27/2006, 08:35 AM

was Rob Shick one of the refs?

WisconsinSooner
4/27/2006, 08:56 AM
was Rob Shick one of the refs?

Dan O'Halloran, Mike Hasenfratz

Scott D
4/27/2006, 09:18 AM
Dan O'Halloran, Mike Hasenfratz

O'Halloran isn't too bad, Hasenfratz however is a putz.

So far this postseason the worst ref has been Shick, so be glad you haven't had him yet.

mrowl
4/27/2006, 10:04 AM
right now, I am just as ****ed off as I was after that day we do not speak of. And I don't know what will tick me off more, if they win Friday, and I have to watch them lose on Sunday, or if they finish it Friday.

mrowl
4/27/2006, 10:19 AM
Morrow last night... :(

http://x402.putfile.com/4/11610181066.gif (http://www.putfile.com)

from startlegram.

colleyvillesooner
4/27/2006, 10:25 AM
Yeah, Razor said this morning that he didn't even change. He just sat in his locker and waited for the reporters.

mrowl
4/27/2006, 12:08 PM
Guerin will be on Bad Radio at 12:10...

great....

colleyvillesooner
4/27/2006, 12:52 PM
What'd he say?

mrowl
4/27/2006, 01:01 PM
"sports cliche, sports cliche, one game at a time, bad luck, sports cliche"

colleyvillesooner
4/27/2006, 01:05 PM
heh

GrapevineSooner
4/27/2006, 01:15 PM
You know for once, I wish one of the Stars players or coaches would just go absolutely bonkers during a press conference and end it by saying, "screw it, we're winning this damn series."

It would give me a little more hope that they actually could come back than hearing an athlete spout sports cliche after sports cliche.

One thing I remember from the ALCS in 2004 before Game 4 was Kevin Millar's relaxed attitude during pre-game warmups where he elicited a 'Why Not Us' attitude.

That's what the Stars need right now, instead of bemoaning every bad call and bad break that's gone against them. These guys have been playing hockey for almost 20-30 years if you count pee-wee hockey. They should know by now that occasionally, you'll fight your *** off and get beat by a bad break.

What do you do? Shake it off and go right back out there the next game, let it all hang out, and see what happens.

As it stands right now, I have no incentive to watch Game 4. Because I can tell that just like in OT, this team is going into the game already defeated.

tulsaoilerfan
4/27/2006, 04:32 PM
Morrow last night... :(

http://x402.putfile.com/4/11610181066.gif (http://www.putfile.com)

from startlegram.
Hate to see that pic, but hardly unexpected; Brenden shows up every night and plays HARD, unlike some of the more skilled players on that team that seem to show up only when it's convenient for them; i still think the world of him as a player and a person and it's a damn shame that penalty was called as it was pretty ticky tacky.

John:(

mrowl
4/27/2006, 07:01 PM
okay, I have bitched my last bitch.

GO STARS!

Lets get this series back to Dallas and see what can happen!

GrapevineSooner
4/27/2006, 10:06 PM
Why Not Us?

colleyvillesooner
4/27/2006, 10:33 PM
WHY NOT US!!!!!

mrowl
4/28/2006, 11:50 AM
WHY NOT US!!!!!

maybe t-shirts need to be made

colleyvillesooner
4/28/2006, 11:58 AM
I'd buy one. See me tomorrow after game 4 :O

tulsaoilerfan
4/28/2006, 11:31 PM
Over? Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?:D :D :D Great job Stars!@!!

John

GrapevineSooner
4/28/2006, 11:59 PM
This series is starting to remind me of the 2000 Stanley Cup Finals from the standpoint that the Stars forced the opposition to take it to another level to eliminate them.

I'd still like to see us score a third period goal when Theodore is in net. Slowly but surely, though, I can see the series starting to tilt the Stars way. And if Dallas wins on Sunday, you're going to see an awfully tight Colorado team in Game 6.

colleyvillesooner
4/29/2006, 02:54 AM
WHY NOT US!!?!?!?

mrowl
4/29/2006, 09:09 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/hockey/goalscore/icon15.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/hockey/goalscore/icon15.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/hockey/goalscore/icon15.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/hockey/goalscore/icon15.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/hockey/goalscore/icon15.gif
HELL YES!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/hockey/goalscore/icon15.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/hockey/goalscore/icon15.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/hockey/goalscore/icon15.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/hockey/goalscore/icon15.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/hockey/goalscore/icon15.gif

GO STARS!!!

There is life in them! I can't wait for Sunday now. I just hope that it is a good crowd, we need a rockin' AAC.

WHY NOT US!!!!

colleyvillesooner
4/29/2006, 10:47 AM
Grapevine, get with it, change you avatar title!!! :D

GrapevineSooner
4/29/2006, 11:14 AM
Will do.

tulsaoilerfan
4/29/2006, 12:54 PM
Is it Sunday yet?

mrowl
4/29/2006, 03:20 PM
I think for the first time ever, tailgating at the AAC may happen Sunday.

BeetDigger
4/29/2006, 10:08 PM
WHY NOT US!!!!

I can tell you: One word "Turco".

Go Avs. :D

tulsaoilerfan
4/30/2006, 03:05 PM
Well Marty lets in another he shouldn't(Dowd), and Sakic gets one when Marty is flopping around on the ice like he's Hasek; come on Marty, your team needs you NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott D
4/30/2006, 05:00 PM
That game may as well have been over from the second Modano was laying on the ice...the team that played after that wasn't the team that was playing before that.

tulsaoilerfan
4/30/2006, 05:26 PM
That game may as well have been over from the second Modano was laying on the ice...the team that played after that wasn't the team that was playing before that.
for the rest of regulation, i agree; however, in OT Dallas outshot the Avs at least 11-2 or 3 and had several good chances to win it, but the only really good chance the Avs had they cashed it in because Marty was flopping on the ice again. :mad:

Scott D
4/30/2006, 05:31 PM
for the rest of regulation, i agree; however, in OT Dallas outshot the Avs at least 11-2 or 3 and had several good chances to win it, but the only really good chance the Avs had they cashed it in because Marty was flopping on the ice again. :mad:

it never should have gotten to OT....Never give up a shorthanded goal when leading 2-0 in the 3rd period. FWIW, I never blame shorthanded goals on the goalie...always on the 5 guys in front of him who should never be letting someone behind them.

tulsaoilerfan
4/30/2006, 07:59 PM
it never should have gotten to OT....Never give up a shorthanded goal when leading 2-0 in the 3rd period. FWIW, I never blame shorthanded goals on the goalie...always on the 5 guys in front of him who should never be letting someone behind them.
What game is that Scott? Dallas never had a 2-0 lead in the 3rd today; are you thinking of the Dowd goal that tied it at 1 in the second? Don't know if it was a shortie or not because i wasn't watching when it happened.

John

Scott D
4/30/2006, 08:09 PM
I must be thinking of an earlier game.

colleyvillesooner
4/30/2006, 08:23 PM
I can tell you: One word "Turco".

Go Avs. :D

Nice of you to show your support for the Avs with your first post in the thread after the series is 3-1. :D

GrapevineSooner
4/30/2006, 09:24 PM
This game exposed all the Stars shortcomings as a microcosm for the entire series.

Turco lets in a very soft goal to Dowd by not doing something he was probably taught in Pee-Wee hockey to do when there's a sharp angle poke in.

Then the defense literally escorts Andrew Brunette to the front of the net so he can score the OT winner.

In other words, this team choked.

Hard.

And why oh why, Doug Armstrong did you give an extension and a NTC to a goaltender who has now been outplayed in consecutive playoff series by Jean-Sebastian Giguere, David Aebischer, and Jose Theodore.

Granted, Theodore's a former Vezina Trophy winner. But he's not the same goaltender he was in 2002.

For all of Army's seemingly good moves, this one will leave me scratching my head until the start of next season. And maybe years to come.

tulsaoilerfan
4/30/2006, 10:15 PM
I must be thinking of an earlier game.
They did give up the shortie in game 2 when leading by 1 with about 2 minutes left; maybe that's the game you are thinking of.

john

tulsaoilerfan
4/30/2006, 10:16 PM
This game exposed all the Stars shortcomings as a microcosm for the entire series.

Turco lets in a very soft goal to Dowd by not doing something he was probably taught in Pee-Wee hockey to do when there's a sharp angle poke in.

Then the defense literally escorts Andrew Brunette to the front of the net so he can score the OT winner.

In other words, this team choked.

Hard.

And why oh why, Doug Armstrong did you give an extension and a NTC to a goaltender who has now been outplayed in consecutive playoff series by Jean-Sebastian Giguere, David Aebischer, and Jose Theodore.

Granted, Theodore's a former Vezina Trophy winner. But he's not the same goaltender he was in 2002.

For all of Army's seemingly good moves, this one will leave me scratching my head until the start of next season. And maybe years to come.
Marty was actually not all that great for most of the season; he did have a stretch where he played pretty good, but he started out poorly and ended up poorly; he gave up way too many soft goals this season and his positioning was pretty poor at times, and you have to wonder what next season will bring as his GAA has went up every season now.

john

JohnnyMack
4/30/2006, 11:08 PM
The worst thing about this series is that the Stars actually won a game. Oh well, enjoy the golf course! :D

WisconsinSooner
5/1/2006, 01:22 AM
I guess I'll stop bitching about the cap room Theodore is going to take up the next two seasons. :rolleyes: Pierre Lacroix shows again why he's the best (or luckiest) GM in hockey. I admittedly thought this season was just a throw away season to get a bunch of young guys experience and look forward to next year. Happy my "snowballs" proved me wrong.

HoserSooner
5/1/2006, 08:17 AM
I guess I'll stop bitching about the cap room Theodore is going to take up the next two seasons. :rolleyes: Pierre Lacroix shows again why he's the best (or luckiest) GM in hockey. I admittedly thought this season was just a throw away season to get a bunch of young guys experience and look forward to next year. Happy my "snowballs" proved me wrong.

Personally, any team with Joe Sakic has a shot. The guy is simply a stud.

mrowl
5/1/2006, 08:45 AM
I dunno where to start...

Thanks to Marty, and the luck of the snowballs (who are going to get DESTROYED in the next round), a VERY soft goal was let in, and with what seemed like 10 open nets, the winning goal kept missing.

WisconsinSooner
5/1/2006, 08:57 AM
Personally, any team with Joe Sakic has a shot. The guy is simply a stud.

You would think I would remember that after his performance in the Gold medal game in Salt Lake.

BeetDigger
5/1/2006, 09:40 AM
Nice of you to show your support for the Avs with your first post in the thread after the series is 3-1. :D

Sorry, I'll jump in sooner next time, now that I know that you are keeping score. :rolleyes:

BeetDigger
5/1/2006, 09:50 AM
I dunno where to start...

Thanks to Marty, and the luck of the snowballs (who are going to get DESTROYED in the next round), a VERY soft goal was let in, and with what seemed like 10 open nets, the winning goal kept missing.

I don't know that it is fair to say that the Avs will get destroyed in their next series. I think that it is fair to say that Avs played pretty consistent "good" hockey and the Stars played mostly "fair" hockey although at times (most of game 4 and the OT of game 5) they played "very good" hockey. I didn't see all of the series so there may be more times where the Stars played very good.

Perhaps the Stars were propped up by the shootout format of the regular season (something that some commentators have mentioned). In the regular season, did they play one session of OT and then follow up with a shootout (I didn't watch much of the regular season so I don't know)? Perhaps the lack of a shootout format hurt the Stars in the playoffs.

colleyvillesooner
5/1/2006, 09:56 AM
Sorry, I'll jump in sooner next time, now that I know that you are keeping score. :rolleyes:

Just an observation, I'm sure I wasn't the only one who noticed.

Scott D
5/1/2006, 10:51 AM
I think what we've been seeing in the playoffs is how teams can match up poorly come the postseason.

mrowl
5/1/2006, 11:05 AM
this is easy.

Teams that were fighting for that playoff spot, and playing great hockey in the last 15 - 20 games, are kicking *** in the playoffs (new jersey, San Jose)

Teams that coasted into the playoffs (detroit, dallas), are not up to speed, and took a few games to get up to "playoff" hockey quality. For the Stars, it was 2 games too late.

mrowl
5/1/2006, 11:07 AM
I don't know that it is fair to say that the Avs will get destroyed in their next series. I think that it is fair to say that Avs played pretty consistent "good" hockey and the Stars played mostly "fair" hockey although at times (most of game 4 and the OT of game 5) they played "very good" hockey. I didn't see all of the series so there may be more times where the Stars played very good.

Perhaps the Stars were propped up by the shootout format of the regular season (something that some commentators have mentioned). In the regular season, did they play one session of OT and then follow up with a shootout (I didn't watch much of the regular season so I don't know)? Perhaps the lack of a shootout format hurt the Stars in the playoffs.

you didn't see most of the regular season... so you are offering your opinion on the playoff hockey, which you didn't see either? :confused:

Scott D
5/1/2006, 11:44 AM
this is easy.

Teams that were fighting for that playoff spot, and playing great hockey in the last 15 - 20 games, are kicking *** in the playoffs (new jersey, San Jose)

Teams that coasted into the playoffs (detroit, dallas), are not up to speed, and took a few games to get up to "playoff" hockey quality. For the Stars, it was 2 games too late.

yeah but even without their losing streak to get into the playoffs, anyone could see that the Rangers wouldn't match up against New Jersey. Carolina's a 2 seed, and they're struggling with Montreal. Part of it is intensity being up as compared to trying to 'flip the switch' on intensity.

However, Detroit has always had problems with Edmonton, and Dallas has usually had problems with Colorado. Even if everyone was unsure of their position going into the final game, some of these matchups would still be difficult ones for higher seeds.

BeetDigger
5/1/2006, 02:56 PM
you didn't see most of the regular season... so you are offering your opinion on the playoff hockey, which you didn't see either? :confused:

Sorry to offend. I didn't think that I stated much that was offensive. I didn't say anything negative about the Stars only to say that it seems that the rule changes may have had a negative impact. That is pretty much a cause and effect analysis. I didn't say that it did, I say that it MIGHT have.

I guess I mistook this for a board where people discussed things. I guess you can only discuss things if you root for the home team. If it totally ****ed off certain posters around here that the Stars lost, then I am pretty happy. Normally I don't get ****ed at posters but a couple of you seem to be taking it personally that I am not a Stars fan. Pretty much, I am not a hockey fan. But given that it is the playoffs and a team from Denver is in it, I am watching it. Me posting after the Avs were up 3-1 was better than posting when they were up 3-0 or even 2-0 and the Stars were playing poorly. In game 4, the Stars looked like a dominating team. I guess you need to put a combo lock on this thread so that only people who pass some test regarding how many games they have watched this year can post in it.

colleyvillesooner
5/1/2006, 03:09 PM
Sorry to offend. I didn't think that I stated much that was offensive. I didn't say anything negative about the Stars only to say that it seems that the rule changes may have had a negative impact. That is pretty much a cause and effect analysis. I didn't say that it did, I say that it MIGHT have.

I guess I mistook this for a board where people discussed things. I guess you can only discuss things if you root for the home team. If it totally ****ed off certain posters around here that the Stars lost, then I am pretty happy. Normally I don't get ****ed at posters but a couple of you seem to be taking it personally that I am not a Stars fan. Pretty much, I am not a hockey fan. But given that it is the playoffs and a team from Denver is in it, I am watching it. Me posting after the Avs were up 3-1 was better than posting when they were up 3-0 or even 2-0 and the Stars were playing poorly. In game 4, the Stars looked like a dominating team. I guess you need to put a combo lock on this thread so that only people who pass some test regarding how many games they have watched this year can post in it.

Nobody cares if you are not a Stars fan. All I was saying is that it was just bad timing for a "Go Avs". No hard feelings.

It just felt like all the people who showed up to talk to you about the *** kicking in the Game of which we don't speak. Hadn't talked all year to people about college football, but they show up to kick you when you are down.

HoserSooner
5/1/2006, 03:11 PM
I was watching an intermission last week, and they pointed out with regards to Detroit's record, look at who they played within their own division to accumulate that record.

Hell, the Leafs would have made the playoffs comfortably if they had to play St. Louis, Chicago and Columbus 8 times each. Detroit played only fair hockey when they were matched up against an equally strong club.

If Detroit bows out, the West is wide open, but I'm going to take the Sharks to go to the final.

Brodeur will need to stand on his head in order to get by Ottawa, but I can just hear the moans from the NHL offices if they have to try and sell a San Jose-Ottawa Stanley Cup final.

Scott D
5/1/2006, 03:15 PM
Brodeur will need to stand on his head in order to get by Ottawa, but I can just hear the moans from the NHL offices if they have to try and sell a (Insert anyone not in Calgary, Colorado, or Detroit)-Ottawa Stanley Cup final.

fixed.

GrapevineSooner
5/1/2006, 03:18 PM

No offense, but there's a reason CVS put a :D at the end of his post.

HoserSooner
5/1/2006, 03:20 PM
fixed.

Good point. The only big-market teams left in the dance are Detroit and Colorado. You could maybe argue that Jersey is in the New York market as well.

I don't know if the NHL considers Calgary as "big market" or not?

Scott D
5/1/2006, 03:24 PM
Good point. The only big-market teams left in the dance are Detroit and Colorado. You could maybe argue that Jersey is in the New York market as well.

I don't know if the NHL considers Calgary as "big market" or not?

they probably don't. However, Calgary is familiar to the casual fan as the loser in the last Cup Finals.

mrowl
5/1/2006, 04:43 PM

so you are watching the playoffs... or you aren't? your post don't match up.

And no, I am not ****ed that they lost, dissapointed, sad, yes. But the better team won.

BeetDigger
5/1/2006, 06:42 PM
Nobody cares if you are not a Stars fan. All I was saying is that it was just bad timing for a "Go Avs". No hard feelings.

It just felt like all the people who showed up to talk to you about the *** kicking in the Game of which we don't speak. Hadn't talked all year to people about college football, but they show up to kick you when you are down.

I didn't quite follow your second paragraph but what I will say is that I showed up AFTER the a$$ kicking to show support. Sorry if it wasn't Friday NIGHT right after the game. I posted on Saturday or Sunday during the five minutes that I could break away from the chore list and family and get on the computer.

BeetDigger
5/1/2006, 06:48 PM
so you are watching the playoffs... or you aren't? your post don't match up.

And no, I am not ****ed that they lost, dissapointed, sad, yes. But the better team won.

I watch the Avs when I can and watch the other series if I happen to flip to them. I am not a big hockey fan. But I do like it when the Avs are in the playoffs. I have never watched a full regular season game EVER. That is the reason that I have no idea about the shootouts. But as far as the Avs getting killed, I just don't think one can draw that conclusion based upon the just ended series. They didn't play great, but they played consistently well. They won, in my estimation, because Dallas played up and down, with being down more the norm. But in the next series, I don't think that the Avs get swept if they don't win the series. I think that they win 2 games.

mrowl
9/29/2006, 12:09 PM
Morrow has been the best player of this series, and deserves the C as soon as this Friday. PLEASE, give Morrow the C!!!

SWEET. This is GREAT news.

One more step to a better season.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/093006dnspomorrow.2aa0df12.html

Morrow named Stars captain

11:05 AM CDT on Friday, September 29, 2006

By MIKE HEIKA / The Dallas Morning News

The Stars announced Friday morning that Brenden Morrow will take over as team captain.

Morrow will take the place of Mike Modano, who was named captain in 2003 when Derian Hatcher left the team in free agency. The decision was made by the coaching staff and front office.

"It was something that [coach] Dave [Tippett] and I talked about," Stars general manager Doug Armstrong said. "We felt it was important for Brenden to take that leadership role going forward and it was important for the team."

Morrow, 27, signed a six-year contract extension last week that is expected to tie him to the team through the 2012-13 season.

GrapevineSooner
9/29/2006, 01:51 PM
Remember when BeetDigger offended us? :D

I wonder how Mo took the news.

mrowl
9/29/2006, 04:59 PM
Remember when BeetDigger offended us? :D

I wonder how Mo took the news.

Mo should be happy.

Rewind 3 years, and it was the extra pressure of being captain that hurt his season.

Now, that can't be the excuse.

Last season that team had no leader, except for Morrow. Now as an "official" team leader, hopefully this means he can take more control of the room.

GrapevineSooner
10/1/2006, 10:47 AM
Hey Hoser,

Did Eric Lindros ALWAYS look like an underperforming player in Toronto that sometimes coasted?

I went to last night's Stars game and while I realize it's still pre-season (well, it was still pre-season last night until Brenden Morrow's dribbler somehow found it's way through Holmqvist's five hole), I don't have much sympathy for a guy who at one point, waited for the puck to come around the boards to him in his own zone instead of coming to the puck, thereby, resulting in a turnover because one of Tampa's forecheckers came in and grabbed the loose puck right in front of the Big E.

mrowl
10/1/2006, 04:08 PM
its unbelieavable to me that the season starts this Wednesday.

If the NHL ever wants to be a top 4 sport again, they would be smart to start later in the fall and cut the games to around 70

Scott D
10/1/2006, 04:39 PM
Hey Hoser,

Did Eric Lindros ALWAYS look like an underperforming player in Toronto that sometimes coasted?

I went to last night's Stars game and while I realize it's still pre-season (well, it was still pre-season last night until Brenden Morrow's dribbler somehow found it's way through Holmqvist's five hole), I don't have much sympathy for a guy who at one point, waited for the puck to come around the boards to him in his own zone instead of coming to the puck, thereby, resulting in a turnover because one of Tampa's forecheckers came in and grabbed the loose puck right in front of the Big E.

well to be fair, he's only got a few of the dozen eggs left that aren't scrambled

HoserSooner
10/2/2006, 09:25 AM
Hey Hoser,

For the number of games that he actually played for the Blue & White, he looked like the Eric of old, except that he didn't throw his body around as much as he used to when he had all his brain matter. He's a solid player, hard to move out of the way, and still has a hard accurate shot. Certainly he was much more valuable when he would hit guys and fight the odd time, but time has taken its toll on the big fella.

I kind of hoped that he would hang around Toronto for a few more seasons, but I guess the asking price was too high for someone who hasn't played a full season in quite a few years. Still would have been the second best forward on the Leafs roster if he had stayed though. :mad:

I figure that GM John Ferguson Jr. will be hanging from the CN Tower before Christmas....Leafs fans won't go through another sub-par season, and if the experts are right, the Leafs will be teeing off come mid-April.

Scott D
10/2/2006, 02:52 PM
For the number of games that he actually played for the Blue & White, he looked like the Eric of old, except that he didn't throw his body around as much as he used to when he had all his brain matter. He's a solid player, hard to move out of the way, and still has a hard accurate shot. Certainly he was much more valuable when he would hit guys and fight the odd time, but time has taken its toll on the big fella.

I kind of hoped that he would hang around Toronto for a few more seasons, but I guess the asking price was too high for someone who hasn't played a full season in quite a few years. Still would have been the second best forward on the Leafs roster if he had stayed though. :mad:

I figure that GM John Ferguson Jr. will be hanging from the CN Tower before Christmas....Leafs fans won't go through another sub-par season, and if the experts are right, the Leafs will be teeing off come mid-April.

I predict mid-December :D

GrapevineSooner
10/4/2006, 11:52 PM
Well, that was quite the interesting game tonight.

Dallas gets outshot, outskated, and damn near out-everythinged in the first period. But Colorado only has a 2-0 lead to show for it.

From that point on, the tide slowly started to turn the Stars way, they tie it up early in the third, and then win it on a breakaway goal from Darryl Sydor.

AllAboutThe'O'
10/5/2006, 12:46 AM
I feel like we're still in a time warp from the 1999 season.
Sydor scores the game-winning goal and Modano had a key goal in the comeback over the Avs, our longtime playoff nemesis. Plus, Jere Lehtinen and Sergei Zubov are still on the roster.
But alas, no Eagle behind the pipes, although Turco made perhaps the biggest assist in the game on Sydor's game-winner.
So, how do you think this Stoops fellow is going to do with the Sooner football team?

mrowl
10/5/2006, 09:38 AM
I don't know what to think of last night. Either they figured it out in the 2nd and 3rd, or Colorado played like the not so good team they are.

mrowl
10/15/2006, 11:01 AM
well. so far I am wrong about this team. VERY early in the season, it seems that they may have some chemistry.

With Lindros on the 1st with Mike and Morrow, they are playing GREAT.

And Turco is huge part of the early success.

4-0, headed to Anaheim tonight.

colleyvillesooner
10/16/2006, 10:50 AM
Game never should have gone to overtime last night, but glad to get the shootout win.

okienole3
10/16/2006, 11:58 AM
Hockey sucks

colleyvillesooner
10/16/2006, 12:05 PM
I suck

Uh, okay.

jk the sooner fan
10/16/2006, 12:14 PM
that stop Turco had in the shootout was greatness

colleyvillesooner
10/16/2006, 01:26 PM
that stop Turco had in the shootout was greatness

Yeah, really heads up to reach back with the stick like that. Awesome.

GrapevineSooner
10/16/2006, 01:32 PM
I'll have to wait until tonight to watch that save.

Streaming video is blocked at work.

jk the sooner fan
10/16/2006, 01:41 PM
it was a hell of a move on the part of both players......the Duck guy (dont know his name)....makes a move to his right which gets Turco laying on his side, soon as he's down.......the shooter does a spin back to his left and shoots the puck.....it was a MAGNIFICENT move.......but Turco stretches out his stick across the ice and blocks the shot......had the shooter gone high, he would have scored

mrowl
10/16/2006, 02:34 PM
5-0.

Win at San Jose on Tuesday, and it is a helluva start for this season.

mrowl
10/24/2006, 07:06 AM
Stars beat the Canucks for an 8-1 record. 1st in the Pacific division. Thats good enough for the 2nd best record in the league behind Buffalo at 9-0

Thats also the best start ever for the Stars.

Red Wings Friday night.

GrapevineSooner
10/24/2006, 10:54 AM
Boss is a big Red Wings fan.

Wonder if I should give him hell on Friday? ;)

mrowl
10/24/2006, 11:33 AM
by then, they could be 3 and 5... so... YES.

Beef
12/11/2006, 02:31 PM
Prayers for Bob Gainey and his daughter, although it's not sounding to good.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2693821

colleyvillesooner
12/11/2006, 03:21 PM
:(

jk the sooner fan
12/11/2006, 03:25 PM
he lost his wife to cancer several years ago as well

what a sad deal

GrapevineSooner
12/11/2006, 03:52 PM
Well, it's been far more than 48 hours. Usually, the most anyone can expect to survive is 36 hours.

I'm still holding out hope for a miracle. But at this point, the mission may be to recover her body so that the Gainey family can find some sense of closure with this ordeal.

God bless them.

mrowl
12/13/2006, 01:22 PM
:(

In his years in hockey, glory has not been a stranger in the Gainey household. Neither has grief.

Now this.

I have never met Laura Gainey, but I know a lot about her, starting with a call her father received about 16 years ago.

It was after a pre-game skate, and the youngest of his three daughters was on the line. Colleen, who was only 5 at the time, was crying. She had been kept home from school because she wasn't feeling well.

"We'll have a nice nap together," Bob's wife, Cathy, had promised her daughter. "You'll feel lots better. I'll be with you in a minute."

Seconds later, Colleen heard a crash, and when the child rushed toward the noise, she found her mother unconscious on the bathroom floor.

Now, a terrified Colleen wailed over the telephone: "Daddy! Daddy! Mommy is on the floor in the bathroom. She's not moving ... she's on the floor. What do I do, Daddy?"
The news was as bad as it gets: a brain tumour. Malignant. Cathy's only slim hope for survival was massive surgery, followed by five weeks of radiation, five days a week.

Five years later, after more major surgery, after too many weeks of chemotherapy and discomfort and tears, Cathy Gainey was taken away from her family. She was only 39.
The depression that preceded and followed her mother's death put Colleen into a clinic for a month. Laura, who was 14, plummeted into the ugly, mind-bending culture of hash, marijuana, acid and speed. She was only a teenager, but in its own clawing, gnawing way, in her mind these terrible drugs were the only way out.

"What she was doing was burying feelings of anger and depression," Gainey told me in a gripping, one-on-one interview on one of his visits from Dallas. "Anger over her mother's illness. Isolation. Abandonment. The kids, I think, take something like what happened to Cathy ... as being deserted. They know on a conscious level that their mother didn't ... wouldn't desert them, that the last thing in the world she'd want to do is leave them.

"Laura bottled up some of the emotions. Others, she acted out in the wrong way. She started to cover the pain by dropping out on drugs for a few hours at a time, and that slowly increased until it was almost constant."

There was denial, Bob told me. He would bring up the subject, and then there would be more denial.

More anger. More drugs.

Laura, the teenager, eventually won the fight of her young life. She was a volunteer on the Picton Castle, whose captain described her as a "a well-loved crew member, very dedicated, very hard-working and very passionate about being on the ship."
Gainey is strong. He is brave. He played through more pain, I think, than any athlete I have ever known. How, though, does he get through this? How does any parent?

He is a private person who picks his friends carefully and always has made it a point to do the same with words when he's not completely comfortable with people he doesn't know well. But few people I know have a better way with words when the occasion demands it.

http://www.canada.com/components/print.aspx?id=408b2db4-5022-40a1-8763-b2393109f3f4&k=54073