PDA

View Full Version : face transplant?

Ike
11/30/2005, 02:41 PM
the things we can do....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4484728.stm

Surgeons in France have carried out the first face transplant, it has been reported.

The woman had lost her nose, lips and chin after being savaged by a dog.

In the controversial operation, tissues, muscles, arteries and veins were taken from a brain-dead donor and attached to the patient's lower face.

Doctors stress the woman will not look like her donor, but nor will she look like she did before the attack - instead she will have a "hybrid" face.

skycat
11/30/2005, 02:42 PM
I'm having a helluva time coming up with the proper John Travolta joke.

proud gonzo
11/30/2005, 02:46 PM
weird.

Ike
11/30/2005, 02:50 PM
I'm having a helluva time coming up with the proper John Travolta joke.

me too....I wanted to give this thread a catchy, funny, title with some funny comments....

but I couldnt really think of any, 'specially since the poor woman got her face screwed up in the first place by a crazy dog....

still, it amazes me the kind of things we can do these days.

sanantoniosooner
11/30/2005, 03:04 PM
The japanese tried this first, but it failed.................................

SoonerWood
11/30/2005, 03:51 PM
The japanese tried this first, but it failed.................................

So how did the doctors save face after that failure?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

Widescreen
11/30/2005, 03:53 PM
Heh.

They said the donor was a woman who was brain dead. I can't imagine having parts of my face harvested even if I was brain dead. Sounds really gross.

picasso
11/30/2005, 04:24 PM
it's kind of old news. apparently, the skin regeneration is more effective this way.
it's not like you're getting a persons face, just the organ of skin. I mean, you could put Howzit's mug on my face but it would mold the beautiful bone structure that I was more blessed with than said Howzit.

Ike
11/30/2005, 04:28 PM
it's kind of old news. apparently, the skin regeneration is more effective this way.
it's not like you're getting a persons face, just the organ of skin. I mean, you could put Howzit's mug on my face but it would mold the beautiful bone structure that I was more blessed with than said Howzit.

yeah, all thats true...but you still wouldnt look exactly the way you look now...and they also transplanted muscles and stuff as well....its news in that this has never been sucessfully performed before.....

skycat
11/30/2005, 04:28 PM

So exactly how much do you know about Howzit's "bone structure"?

OKC Sooner
11/30/2005, 04:31 PM
I'm holding out for a total body transplant.

49r
11/30/2005, 05:30 PM
- instead she will have a "hybrid" face.

I wonder what kind of mileage she'll get out of that...

mikeelikee
11/30/2005, 05:35 PM
Face transplant? Now there's finally a ray of hope for Camilla! :eek:

silverwheels
11/30/2005, 05:36 PM
I'm going to take his face.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...........................off.

BigRedJed
11/30/2005, 05:39 PM
It puts the lotion on its... ...face...

picasso
11/30/2005, 05:51 PM
yeah, all thats true...but you still wouldnt look exactly the way you look now...and they also transplanted muscles and stuff as well....its news in that this has never been sucessfully performed before.....
I'm with ya, my girlfriend's mom was telling me about it a while back. She's in the medical business, wasn't trying to bust on your thread.:)

Howzit's bone structure? Just what I can see through the botox.

SoonerWood
11/30/2005, 06:00 PM
I wonder what would happen if you put a woman's face on a guy. Some freak will want that someday.

sanantoniosooner
11/30/2005, 06:40 PM
So how did the doctors save face after that failure?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA
Sometimes a softball actually gets knocked out of the park:D

Rhino
1/22/2006, 09:19 PM
New face with an old habit (http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,17872485%255E954,00.html)

THE world's first face transplant recipient is using her new lips to take up smoking again, which doctors fear could interfere with her healing and raise the risk of tissue rejection.

"It is a problem," surgeon Jean-Michel Dubernard, who led the team that performed the pioneering transplant in France on Isabelle Dinoire, 38, on November 27, acknowledged yesterday.

Ms Dinore's doctors made their first scientific presentation on the partial face transplant at a medical conference in the US this week.

The news about her smoking came as American surgeons said they were growing more comfortable with the French doctors' decision to try the operation, and that they hoped to offer such transplants.

Ms Dinore received a new nose, chin and lips from a brain-dead donor after being mauled by her dog. She suffered a tissue-rejection episode last month but was now doing well, her doctors said.

However, they said she had resumed smoking, which besides being bad in general for health was especially a problem after surgery because it impaired circulation to tissues and could raise the risk of rejection.

Some doctors have questioned Ms Dinore's psychological fitness for the operation because of reports that she had taken sleeping pills in a possible suicide attempt when the dog attack occurred – an allegation Dr Dubernard has denied.

He said the patient received extensive psychiatric evaluation and counselling before the operation.

The face donor was identified last month as Maryline Saint-Aubert, 46, who reportedly took her own life after years of depression and family grief.

A team of 50 surgeons operated for 15 hours last month to graft Saint-Aubert's nose, chin and lips on to Ms Dinoire's mutilated face.

American doctors at the conference said it was time to stop debating whether the French operation was ethical or wise and focus on making such transplants as safe and widely available as possible.

"Face transplants can be done and should be done," said Dr Warren Breidenbach, the surgeon who did the first hand transplant in the US, at Jewish Hospital in Louisville, in 1999.

Another Louisville transplant expert, Dr Suzanne Ildstad, said: "A number of us here are interested in making this a widespread procedure available to the public. It's the future, and could benefit millions of people."

proud gonzo
1/22/2006, 11:22 PM
I think organ donation is a great thing... it's awesome to help people. But I don't think I'd ever sign something to consent to let them take my face...

GottaHavePride
1/23/2006, 01:07 AM
Nice way for the lady to thank the 50 surgeons that gave her her new face - take up smoking and increase the chances of the face being rejected. Dumb yainch.