PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Tile

Mjcpr
11/28/2005, 07:20 PM
So we have ceramic tile in the kitchen, entry way, bathrooms. Mrs. Mj just noticed a crack in some tiles in the bathroom that runs from the bathtub to the sink...covers about 6 tiles. We've had the tile down for about 2 1/2 years and never had any problems and then overnight we have this. Is it just a case of the house "settling" causing this? Can I look forward to more of this in the future?

Yay! I was hoping for something else to have to fix. :mad:

StoopTroup
11/28/2005, 07:25 PM
Slab or stick built house?

Mjcpr
11/28/2005, 07:26 PM
Slab.

oumartin
11/28/2005, 07:37 PM
did they have to build up the dirt prior to the build? Maybe they dent tamp it good or something and caused your house to settle a bit. I don't know though. hopefully you have extra tile so matching won't be a problem.

StoopTroup
11/28/2005, 07:39 PM
It's not that bad to fix then.

Laying tile can be a real chore, but it's not a show stopper on a slab floor.

The only way to tell is to pull up the tile and see if the floor is cracked.

If it's cracked then you might be in for more settling.

There might be some other folks with an opinion but you might consider a different floor system if your worried about it.

mrowl
11/28/2005, 07:40 PM
it took about 2 years in our brand new house for the slab to settle and crack enough that a repair was needed by the home builder.

BTW, avoid Grand homes like you would an aggy with poo

Mjcpr
11/28/2005, 07:40 PM
did they have to build up the dirt prior to the build? Maybe they dent tamp it good or something and caused your house to settle a bit. I don't know though. hopefully you have extra tile so matching won't be a problem.

I have no idea...it was built in the 70's and I've lived here 3 1/2 years. No cracks in the drywall or anything that would indicate settling but what do I know? Maybe it's happening because of the dry conditions we've had.....I dunno.

And yeah, it'll be easy to match plus I have some extry but I sure as hell don't know how to fix it. Just a pain in the *** is all.

StoopTroup
11/28/2005, 07:45 PM
Jack that old tile out and make sure the floor is ok.

Matching the grout is the real trick.

oumartin
11/28/2005, 07:48 PM
sorry, i was thunking it was a newer home..
good luck man. I have no home improvement skillz either.

Czar Soonerov
11/28/2005, 08:01 PM
You know concete expands and contracts when the tempiture changes. When you put the new tile down make sure the mortar has latex in it. That will give it the flexability needed to keep tiles from breaking in the future. Also make sure you have the proper spacing between tiles, not enough space can cause them to crack also.

StoopTroup
11/28/2005, 08:16 PM
Czar is right about that.

They make quite a few different floor mixes for different situations.

Some are pre-mixed and others allow you to mix and add the additives.

When you do-it-yourself, you learn.

If you don't. You pay. $$$$ But if they are reputable they will stand behind their repair or replacement.

OklahomaTrombone
11/28/2005, 08:56 PM
It was the wind

Newbomb Turk
11/28/2005, 09:14 PM
It was the wind

I let out a little wind in the bathroom too, but I've never cracked any damn tile!

sanantoniosooner
11/28/2005, 09:45 PM
Use multipurpose thinset.

It has latex already in it.

If you have some serious crack issues then you can use a floating ceramic installation.

I got some serious smarts when it comes to this stuff. I've laid more ceramic than Wilt has skanks.

Newbomb Turk
11/28/2005, 09:54 PM
I tiled two bathrooms in our house this past summer. Never again.
It wasn't difficult, but it was damn hard work. Tough on the back and knees.

Mjcpr
11/28/2005, 09:56 PM
It was just some old guy that worked for himself that put the tile in so he probably wasn't hit to all the newfangled adhesives. It's going to have to get worse before I attempt to tackle fixing it. :O

Mjcpr
11/28/2005, 09:58 PM
I got some serious smarts when it comes to this stuff.

How YOU doin?

I've got a six pack of Natty with your name on it when you decide to toil in my bathroom floor. :D

sanantoniosooner
11/28/2005, 10:04 PM
How YOU doin?

I've got a six pack of Natty with your name on it when you decide to toil in my bathroom floor. :D

I'll sell you one of my videos for crack spackel

Mjcpr
11/28/2005, 10:06 PM
I'll sell you one of my videos for crack spackel

out

OUinFLA
11/28/2005, 10:08 PM
Use multipurpose thinset.

It has latex already in it.

If you have some serious crack issues then you can use a floating ceramic installation.

I got some serious smarts when it comes to this stuff. I've laid more ceramic than Wilt has skanks.

Last admitted count was in excess of 20,000............
Man, you have laid a lot of tile!

Beano's Fourth Chin
11/28/2005, 10:24 PM
We had the same thing happen in our kitchen. Ran through about 6 consecutive tiles. We had a dude come out and look at it and he pulled them up to see if he could see a problem with our foundation.

Turns out that it was due to the fact that I ran the coaxial cable under the tile when I installed the television in the kitchen.

Mjcpr
11/28/2005, 10:25 PM
Are you saying I could have cable TV and high speed internet in the crapper?

sanantoniosooner
11/28/2005, 10:25 PM
Turns out that it was due to the fact that I ran the coaxial cable under the tile when I installed the television in the kitchen.
GREAT GOOGALY MOOGALLY.

I don't even know you.

oumartin
11/28/2005, 10:27 PM
coulda saved yourself alot of trouble beano if you would just staple the coax to the ceiling and run it that way.... and it looks good too

oumartin
11/28/2005, 10:28 PM
sure you can have television and broadband in the crapper. Just wear your depends and don't bother getting up..
Thats how I've done it for years

OUinFLA
11/28/2005, 10:36 PM
coulda saved yourself alot of trouble beano if you would just staple the coax to the ceiling and run it that way.... and it looks good too

sure you can have television and broadband in the crapper. Just wear your depends and don't bother getting up..
Thats how I've done it for years

your crackin me up.

sanantoniosooner
11/28/2005, 10:39 PM
women just don't understand (http://www.joe-ks.com/MultiMedia/WomenDontUnderstand.wmv)

IB4OU2
11/28/2005, 11:01 PM
Are you saying I could have cable TV and high speed internet in the crapper?

I'm surprised you can get all that in there.....I don't even have room for a cell phone.....

oumartin
11/28/2005, 11:03 PM
I'm surprised you can get all that in there.....I don't even have room for a cell phone.....

lose some weight! ;)

HoserSooner
11/29/2005, 09:04 AM
I tiled two bathrooms in our house this past summer. Never again.
It wasn't difficult, but it was damn hard work. Tough on the back and knees.

I second that one.

The gf had me do some tiling in our main foyer last winter, and having little to no home improvement skills, it was a bit of a chore. Like you said, it wasn't hard to do, but 2 12-hour days later, my knees and back were gone. Really wish I'd grabbed the knee pads in Home Depot for 16.99 when I saw 'em. :(

Flagstaffsooner
11/29/2005, 09:15 AM
Dood, you got these things under your house.
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0783226837.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Harry Beanbag
11/29/2005, 10:21 AM
Last admitted count was in excess of 20,000............
Man, you have laid a lot of tile!

"I've laid more pipe in this town than Wabasha Plumbing."

Sooner_Bob
11/29/2005, 11:47 AM
Speaking of laying tile . . .

My wife decided that she wants to tile on the eating side of the bar in our kitchen. Right now it just has carpet.

Since she's known the people we bought the house from for quite a while she asked if they had any extra tile left from when they tiled the kitchen, bathrooms and patios.

One day a couple of weeks ago the guy comes by and drops off some tile. 8 boxes of the 12x12 stuff complete with extra pieces for fitting it in properly, and the grout to match the rest of the house. All I need to do is buy the adhesive and con my bro in-law to come up and help.

:D

Mjcpr
11/29/2005, 11:53 AM
When you're finished with him.....

Newbomb Turk
1/6/2006, 04:09 PM
Fix garage door -- check
Fix tile in bathroom -- ?

Mjcpr
1/6/2006, 04:21 PM
Fix garage door -- check
Fix tile in bathroom -- ?

That'll be a while....like when I'm convinced it's done cracking. And when I want to take on a giant mess.

Also, stalking reported.

Newbomb Turk
1/6/2006, 04:28 PM
Also, stalking reported.

Took you long enough to notice.