View Full Version : Red Wings Fisher Has Seizure During Game

11/22/2005, 01:53 AM
This sounds scary (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/112205dnsporedwings.8204842.html).

DETROIT – Red Wings defenseman Jiri Fischer had a seizure on the Detroit bench late in the first period of Monday night's game against the Nashville Predators and was listed in stable condition at a hospital.

Fischer was given CPR at the bench and a defibrillator was used before the 25-year-old native of the Czech Republic was removed on a stretcher. The game was called off with no makeup date immediately announced.

Team spokesman John Hahn said Fischer was taken to Detroit Receiving Hospital and was stable, breathing on his own and responsive.
"It looks like he's going to be OK," Hahn said.

Play was stopped with 7:30 left in the period after the Red Wings alerted officials to a problem. Medical personnel worked on the 25-year-old Fischer at the door to the bench for several minutes before he was wheeled back toward the Red Wings dressing room.

Thank God he's in stable condition and alright for now.

Scott D
11/22/2005, 09:50 AM
it was scary....he'd gotten off the ice about 45 seconds earlier then as play went on he slumped forward and his head was resting on the top of the boards in front of the bench, before sliding down to the floor behind the bench on his face. His heart had stopped and they had to use an autodefib to get it jumpstarted again. The arena was deadly silent until an announcement came over the PA system saying that he was in stable condition, breathing on his own, had undergone cpr and was on his way to Detroit Receiving...at which point a huge amount of applause went up from the arena.

Doctors are saying that he should make a full recovery, and he's going to be kept in the hospital for a couple of days to undergo a lot of tests. It's the second time in 3 years that an issue has come up with his heart.

Scott D
11/22/2005, 01:27 PM
Team having a press conference now, and while Fischer has no memory of the time period leading up to him being in the ambulance, he's expected to make a full recovery. Dr. is saying that for whatever reason when he was unconscious his heartbeat was very weak, and the autodefibrilator played a major role in the matter. So far pretty much reiteration of my earlier post, he's going to undergo a ton of tests.

What scares me the most about this, is that it reminds me to an incident that I had as a student at OU when I passed out in the english building going from my class during class across the hall to the bathroom.

The doctor is stressing that this could have happened to anyone as well, and how every public place (theaters, arenas, resturaunts, etc.) should have these machines.

11/23/2005, 10:54 AM
They were talking about the incident quite a bit on sports radio up here yesterday, and were saying that it was lucky that it happened during a game as opposed to a practice, as apparently the medical personnel are not present during routine practices.

Probably won't play hockey ever again, but considering what the other option could have been, I'd say that isn't that big of a deal anymore.

Scott D
11/23/2005, 11:04 AM
Down here they're still saying it's 'who knows' in regards to if he'll play hockey again. What is even scarier is the comparison they keep doing him with is Hank Gathers and Reggie Lewis, and we know how both of those scenarios ended up.

11/23/2005, 03:59 PM
Nice guest post over at Off Wing Opinion from Dr. Robert Centor (http://www.ericmcerlain.com/offwingopinion/archives/005386.php#005386) speculating on the possible causes.