PDA

View Full Version : Construction @ I-35 & Robinson?

okcfan33
11/20/2005, 10:42 PM
Does anyone know what is going to go up there? Are they going to tear down the dirt hill?

Boarder
11/20/2005, 10:43 PM
Yes. Super Target, among other things.

Okla-homey
11/21/2005, 07:23 AM
I think its a shame that WWII-era firing range backstop is being leveled. It is a piece of Oklahoma and University history. An awful lot of young navy men who went out and helped win the war in the Pacific learned to shoot an M-1 and a M1911 automatic pistol at that exact spot.

I would hope they would at least try to save the concrete trench on the south side where the guys who marked and replaced the targets stood.

I guess we need really another big box retailer more. Of course, in 20 years when they decide to move to a different location because that location is all pitted-out and not economically feasible to renovate, we'll be left with a parking lot and an empty shell, but no historic remains of the former Navy firing range.

Partial Qualifier
11/21/2005, 09:28 AM
I heard that they decided to leave the hill. And it would appear that's the case - they're prepping & smoothing out the surrounding area, if they planned to level the hill I'd guess they would've done that first.

jk the sooner fan
11/21/2005, 09:30 AM
as a kid, when we used to drive to OKC from Dallas, that hill was my landmark to let me know we'd arrived.....

nmsoonergirl
11/21/2005, 10:41 AM
I think its a shame that WWII-era firing range backstop is being leveled. It is a piece of Oklahoma and University history. An awful lot of young navy men who went out and helped win the war in the Pacific learned to shoot an M-1 and a M1911 automatic pistol at that exact spot.

I would hope they would at least try to save the concrete trench on the south side where the guys who marked and replaced the targets stood.

I guess we need really another big box retailer more. Of course, in 20 years when they decide to move to a different location because that location is all pitted-out and not economically feasible to renovate, we'll be left with a parking lot and an empty shell, but no historic remains of the former Navy firing range.

Homey, I generally LOVE your history lessons, but you clearly didn't do your research on this one. Growing up, my parents always told me the dirt mound was Bigfoot's grave. I know they wouldn't have lied to me about something so important.:)

SoonerWood
11/21/2005, 10:45 AM
Homey, I generally LOVE your history lessons, but you clearly didn't do your research on this one. Growing up, my parents always told me the dirt mound was Bigfoot's grave. I know they wouldn't have lied to me about something so important.:)

BIGFOOT DIED? :(

critical_phil
11/21/2005, 10:49 AM
sploosh...

nmsoonergirl
11/21/2005, 10:51 AM
When I was six. Which was a lot of years ago. Don't know why they chose to bury him in Norman, but obviously they did. And of course they aren't going to dig up a stinky bigfoot grave just to build a Target.

Rhino
11/21/2005, 11:53 AM
No, no, no. Godzirra is buried there.

Rhino
11/21/2005, 12:07 PM
The development is called University North Park.

Norman Transcript article from September (http://www.normantranscript.com/siteSearch/apstorysection/local_story_263002023)
OU Daily article from July (http://www.oudaily.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/07/01/42c57fe77e2f6?in_archive=1)

If you want to read more about it, go to Norman Transcript (http://www.normantranscript.com/) and seach in the archives for 'TIF'.

afs
11/21/2005, 12:09 PM
No, it's King Kong that's buried there. just wait until the new movie comes out, you'll all see that i'm right.

OKC Sooner
11/21/2005, 12:22 PM
I thought Jimmy Hoffa was buried there. :confused:

OUAndy1807
11/21/2005, 12:34 PM
I am surprised the **** hasn't hit the fan about this stuff. I've been waiting for months.

Boarder
11/21/2005, 12:37 PM
I am surprised the **** hasn't hit the fan about this stuff. I've been waiting for months.
If people really gave a crap about it, they wouldn't have left it an untoched hill of dirt for 30 (+?) years. We can't make every single thing a memorial. Not like we live in College Station or something.

OUAndy1807
11/21/2005, 12:38 PM
I'm not talking about that stupid pile of dirt (;)), just about the development fo the land and the deals surrounding it.

Boarder
11/21/2005, 12:40 PM
They just recently started the machinery. It was out of sight, out of mind. You know how that works.

Rhino
4/3/2007, 10:43 AM
So, what's the scoop on the rest of the stuff they're building over there right now?

I know there's a 240-room Embassy Suites Hotel and a 65,000-square-foot conference center, but what retail or restaurants?

Taxman71
4/3/2007, 10:52 AM
Word is high end retail (as compared to the Norman mall) and more restaurants (PF Changs, another Ted's, etc.) from what I have heard. Check out the community forum discussions on the Norman Transcript's webpage for more info than you ever wanted, albeit politically divided.

Rhino
4/3/2007, 11:59 AM
Pei Wei, Circuit City, a drive-through Starbucks, Office Depot, Petco, Rack Room Shoes, Dress Barn, Maurice’s, TJ Maxx/Marshall’s.

Yuck.

Pei Wei is the only one interests me. Dress Barn? TJMaxx? Office Depot? I thought this was supposed to be an upscale shopping complex?

Taxman71
4/3/2007, 12:01 PM
I hadn't heard that. It is a little disappointing based on early tales of "high end" retail. I don't like Circuit City's future however.

Rhino
4/3/2007, 01:03 PM
Right, I thought they were going out-of-business?

OUDoc
4/3/2007, 01:32 PM
If people really gave a crap about it, they wouldn't have left it an untoched hill of dirt for 30 (+?) years. We can't make every single thing a memorial. Not like we live in College Station or something.
The dirt pile should have gotten it's own scoreboard. :mad:

Rhino
4/3/2007, 01:41 PM
Looks like Mahogany Prime Steakhouse will be opening there in late 2007.

Mjcpr
4/3/2007, 01:48 PM
In the meantime, you can eat at ours if you want.

:D

Rhino
4/3/2007, 01:49 PM
Nah, if I really wanted to, I'd go to the one in Oklahoma City.

Mjcpr
4/3/2007, 01:50 PM
Fine, but don't bitch when there's no hills and trees to look at.

Taxman71
4/3/2007, 02:55 PM
I would definitely classify Mahogany in the up-scale category. Not much competition in Norman since Danny's Steakhouse closed.

Boarder
4/3/2007, 03:06 PM
Dean and/or Andy will hate it. :D

Rhino
4/3/2007, 03:16 PM
Sounds like a Kohl's, JC Penney's and an AMC Theatres are also being planned.

Hadn't seen this before either:
http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/7749/universityparkeo3.jpg

mdklatt
4/3/2007, 03:34 PM
What's with all the open air shopping malls that are popping up everywhere? The people building these things realize that we don't have the climate of San Diego, here, right?

Rhino
4/3/2007, 03:39 PM
A guy on another board talked to one of the developers. Among the business signed, in talks or showing interest with University Park include:

Home Depot (would move to University Park), Costco, San Francisco Steakhouse, Dick’s Sporting Goods, Banana Republic, P.F. Chang’s, Macy’s, Urban Outfitters, J. Crew, Guess, Apple, Dell, Pottery Barn, Puma, Coldwater Creek, Whole Foods/Wild Oats, Restoration Hardware, Williams Sonoma, California Kitchen, Johnny Rocket’s, Ted’s Montana Grill

If true, that's a little more like it.

Rhino
4/3/2007, 04:06 PM
For sures:
Ted's Café Escondido, AT&T/Cingular

Other rumors:
Chilpolte, Belk's, Guess, Lucky Brand, Discovery Channel, California Kitchen, Sportsman's Warehouse, Kirklands, The Container Store

Jimminy Crimson
4/3/2007, 05:36 PM
The Lifestyle Center is where all the nice stuff + movie theater will be.

The rest will be a typical strip center (like Ed Noble Pkwy) with outparcels.

LilSooner
4/3/2007, 07:30 PM
For the love of the FASHION GODS WHY IN THE HELL CAN'T WE GET BLOOMINGDALES OR NEIMAN MARCUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boarder
4/3/2007, 08:52 PM
There's at least four of Rhino's possibilities that make me giddy.

Soonerus
4/3/2007, 09:40 PM
Mahogany's, for sure...

Rhino
4/3/2007, 09:50 PM
A couple other rumors:
ZGallerie, Freebird's World Burrito

Soonerus
4/3/2007, 10:10 PM
ZGallerie on Mill in Tempe is very cool...

Taxman71
4/4/2007, 09:01 AM
The only sad part is that stretch of 24th is a nice place to run on Saturday mornings....just me and the Spanish-speaking dirt movers and an occassional worktruck every half mile or so.

Petro-Sooner
4/4/2007, 09:51 AM
What kind of stuff can you buy at a Discovery Channel store? :confused:

mdklatt
4/4/2007, 09:54 AM

Sharks.

Boarder
4/4/2007, 10:02 AM
The only sad part is that stretch of 24th is a nice place to run on Saturday mornings....just me and the Spanish-speaking dirt movers and an occassional worktruck every half mile or so.
It would still be nice. When we went to the Baylor game we stayed at the hotel right beside that big outlet mall in the town to the north (I can't remember the name). I got up that morning and ran the sidewalks, it was great.

Anyway, the new park on the north side with the running track and cross country course is looking likely.

Taxman71
4/4/2007, 11:07 AM
Which new park? Will it be in the TIF District along 24th or the planned city park in the Tecumseh-12th NW area (east of Sysco)? Since I live in that area, that would be nice (after they make Tecumseh 4-lane all the way to Sooner Road/12 NE that is).

OUstudent4life
4/4/2007, 11:32 AM

Futureweapons.

[Cartman]Sweeeeeeeeet.[/quote]

Boarder
4/4/2007, 03:52 PM
Which new park? Will it be in the TIF District along 24th or the planned city park in the Tecumseh-12th NW area (east of Sysco)? Since I live in that area, that would be nice (after they make Tecumseh 4-lane all the way to Sooner Road/12 NE that is).
It's in the 36th and Tecumseh area or something. I'm not totally sure of the exact place. Some lady left some land to be made into a park and the runners around Norman are pushing to have it made into an Earlywine typ track with running trails, since Norman has virtually none (which is an embarrasment with Edmond having around 40 miles of trails).

Petro-Sooner
4/4/2007, 04:09 PM
Runners dont need trails. Thats what sidewalks are for. :D

yermom
4/4/2007, 05:17 PM
For sures:
Ted's Café Escondido, AT&T/Cingular

Other rumors:
Chipotle, Belk's, Guess, Lucky Brand, Discovery Channel, California Kitchen, Sportsman's Warehouse, Kirklands, The Container Store

please please please

i'm more interested in that than Ted's

Taxman71
4/4/2007, 05:22 PM
It's in the 36th and Tecumseh area or something. I'm not totally sure of the exact place. Some lady left some land to be made into a park and the runners around Norman are pushing to have it made into an Earlywine typ track with running trails, since Norman has virtually none (which is an embarrasment with Edmond having around 40 miles of trails).

Sounds like it would be west of I-35. Tough to put a track/park there given the price of dirt on that side of Norman and the number of developers running around.

I used to run at Earlywine about 10 years ago, it made a big difference having all those people and lights around when running at night or after work. Now, I do 90% of my running early mornings or at lunch, but a good place to run in the evenings in Norman would be nice. It is always a nice perk to see the coeds around campus on Saturday's long run, some in their workout clothes, others doing the walk of shame from the night before.

Boomer.....
8/16/2007, 11:46 AM
Is there any update to the stores going in?

So far, I have seen the Super Target, Kohl's, and TJ Maxx.

TopDaugIn2000
8/16/2007, 11:48 AM
I saw a sign for Petco

Petro-Sooner
8/16/2007, 12:08 PM
Boy, just what Norman already has a mile to the south. :rolleyes: What ever happened to higher end shopping?

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/16/2007, 12:23 PM
Well as long as there is an AMC theatre...I am cool with it ;)

Rhino
8/16/2007, 01:54 PM
Construction of the 'upscale' portion of that area hasn't really started yet.

Taxman71
8/16/2007, 02:08 PM
Rumor is the east side of 24th will have the upscale while the west side (I-35 frontage) has the typical chains mentioned above.

My thought is....how many people actually shop at Kohl's? I returned some gifts there and thought I was in Montgomery Wards circa 1985. I have no idea what is to be found inside TJMaxx, but we already have a Steinmart and Ross. Now a Costco I could use................

TopDaugIn2000
8/16/2007, 02:37 PM
TJMaxx, Steinmart, Ross, Kohls.....they are all the same.

Boomer.....
10/3/2007, 07:42 AM
http://www.normantranscript.com/localnews/local_story_276003716.html

University North Park ahead of schedule

By Carol Cole-Frowe

Transcript Staff Writer

The $54.7 million University North Park Tax Increment Financing District is off and running, Norman city councilmembers heard at their Tuesday study session.

“It’s a strong start coming out of the gates,” said City Manager Steve Lewis, who managed several TIF districts in Lee’s Summit, Mo., where he previously was city administrator. “It’s ahead of projections.”

Assistant City Attorney Kathryn Walker told councilmembers, “with the rate of growth going on out there, we should see some impressive numbers.” Walker presented the quarterly update requested by the council.

“The entire west side is spoken for,” Walker said of the first phase of construction, designed to drive traffic. “They have potential tenants for every space over there. … It is going quicker than anticipated.”

One of those tenants opens today, with a Kohl’s ribbon cutting at 7 a.m.

“Now my wife and daughter can shop in Norman instead of Moore,” said Ward 2 councilmember Richard Stawicki after the meeting.

The council will consider Development Agreement No. 3 at its Oct. 9 regular meeting and is projecting issuance of $15 to $20 million in bond financing in December.

“We think the revenue streams being shown right now will service the debt,” said Jeff Bryant, city attorney.

The TIF funds for public improvements include $13.475 million for initial project costs and roadway improvements; $8.25 million for Legacy Park, landscaping and Legacy Trail; conference center and cultural facilities, $16.5 million; Lifestyle Center, $8.25 million; and economic development, $8.25 million.

Fifty percent of the ad valorem dollars over the original base amount go into the UNP TIF District No. 2 coffers, with 60 percent of sales tax increases going toward the TIF.

Ad valorem taxes will be measured against the base calendar year of 2006, when the undeveloped district was valued at $7.5 million, which included two parcels purchased by developers from the University of Oklahoma Foundation.

In calendar year 2007, the same property is projected to be worth more than $21 million. Projections for 2008 and 2009 for already-permitted buildings on the west side would grow the property values to $102 million, an estimate that doesn’t include contents.

Ad valorem tax from 2007 is projected at $165,112, with $82,556 going to the UNP TIF. The 2008-2009 projections for ad valorem tax are $1.16 million, with $580,585 going to the TIF.

Sales tax for fiscal year 2007 in the UNP TIF District totaled $1.6 million. Because Super Target moved from another Norman location, the store’s previous sales tax revenues were subtracted and the amount was adjusted down to $832,082. Of that, $499,249 or 60 percent would go to the TIF and $332,833 or 40 percent would go to the general fund.

Super Target opened a year ago, with Kohl’s opening today.

John Q. Hammons broke ground for a $50 million Embassy Suites Hotel/Conference Center on Feb. 28. Construction on the 10-story hotel is up to the seventh floor. Conference center construction began recently.

Retail outlets or restaurants announced so far for the first phase include Pei Wei Asian Bistro, AT&T, T-Mobile, Petco, Circuit City, Office Depot, Dress Barn, Maurice’s, Rack Room Shoes and TJ Maxx.

The second phase is planned to include the Lifestyle Center and would include an upscale shopping element that was the focus of the Citizens TIF Advisory Group that evaluated the project before council approved it.

Ward 1 councilmember Bob Thompson expressed concern that the city might just be “pushing dollars around.”

“That’s the elephant in the room,” Thompson said.

Ward 7 councilmember Doug Cubberley called some of that discussion “premature.”

“Let’s get a year of data in,” Cubberley said. “Are we making progress or are we treading water? … This has always been a stepped process. This is coming and it’s coming a lot faster than anyone envisioned. People have to have patience.”

Lewis said the city might consider hiring outside professionals to examine the extent of cannibalization and effects the district has on the city’s tax base.

TopDaugIn2000
10/3/2007, 07:57 AM
thumbs up for Pei Wei!