PDA

View Full Version : Ranger fans.....a trade brewing

jk the sooner fan
11/20/2005, 12:08 PM
the DMN reports that the Rangers are very close to a trade with the Marlins

we send them - Hank Blalock and John Danks

we get - Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell

i like this trade ALOT ......we are not going to get an ace pitcher without giving up a name. Blalock for all his upside, is inconsistent as a hitter and strikes out too much....Danks, while a hot prospect, isnt proven, and you just never know what he'll turn out to be.

I dont care for the Mike Lowell part of this, we lose on offense there and probably some range on defense......

my question is this - Teixeira came out of college listed as a 3b/1b - could he switch to 3d and let Adrian Gonzalez go to first?

GrapevineSooner
11/20/2005, 01:11 PM
For a team that's as pitching deficient as the Rangers, this is a deal that simply had to be done.

Scott D
11/20/2005, 01:24 PM
heh and add to that the annual 'Maybe the Rangers will get Clemens' rumor :)

AustinTXHorn
11/20/2005, 01:57 PM
I doubt Teixeira would go to third. He was terrible there in college and just won a gold glove at first.

There's rumors now that the Rangers will try and bring another team into this so they can flip Adrian Gonzalez to another team for a pitching prospect that they can send to the Marlins insead of Danks.

I love this trade. Beckett is a 25 year old ace who is a Texan. So not only is he young and great, but he is more likely to sign a long term deal after coming to the Rangers.

Blalock hit around .230 with 5 homers on the road last season and didn't hit lefties. He's gotten worse each year. Only hit 25 homers. Yes, he's still a good player. But yes, he's also very overrated now. If someone wants to give you an ace and a serviceable third baseman for him, you gotta do it.

I'd rather trade Diamond than Danks since I think Danks is a better pitcher, but either way is fine with me.

mrowl
11/20/2005, 04:07 PM
I dunno... Its possible that Hank had a bad strech, and he will get better. IMO you give up a LOT of defense in trading him.

But for an ACE, pull that trigger.

jk the sooner fan
11/20/2005, 04:13 PM
hanks defense is his real upside, imo.....

but i think we can replace that......we dont currently have anybody in our farm system that can fill that hole......but there has to be somebody in FA or via trade that can be a little better than Mike Lowell

if they can swing a third team in the mix with adrian gonzalez, then jon daniels has earned his annual salary as the new GM - john hart can suck it

AustinTXHorn
11/20/2005, 04:24 PM
I dunno... Its possible that Hank had a bad strech, and he will get better. IMO you give up a LOT of defense in trading him.

But for an ACE, pull that trigger.
Lowell is a pretty damn good defensive third baseman. I don't think they would lose all that much there.

And I agree jk. If Daniels gets a third team in to save Danks/Diamond, he's already earned his salary. And it might be one of the best trades in Ranger history (that's not saying much).

AllAboutThe'O'
11/20/2005, 09:42 PM
Great, just when I was beginning to treasure my navy blue Hank Blalock jersey T-shirt.:(

GrapevineSooner
11/21/2005, 01:07 AM
Lowell is a pretty damn good defensive third baseman. I don't think they would lose all that much there.

And I agree jk. If Daniels gets a third team in to save Danks/Diamond, he's already earned his salary. And it might be one of the best trades in Ranger history (that's not saying much).

I'll start calling him Theo Daniels if he does.

Scott D
11/21/2005, 07:20 PM
dead deal.....Boston was one of 5 other teams making offers, and basically Boston wanted Lowell more than any other bidders.

GrapevineSooner
11/21/2005, 07:38 PM
From Boston Dirt Dogs (http://www.bostondirtdogs.com), Steve Silva:

ESPN's Peter Gammons is reporting that the Red Sox have traded Hanley Ramirez, Anabel Sanchez, and a player to be named later for the Marlins pitcher Josh Beckett and third baseman Mike Lowell. The Fort Worth Star Telegram is reporting that, according to a major league source, "the Marlins, who are once again believed to be engaging in an austerity drive to significantly lower payroll, decided to accept the Red Sox offer."

Makes me wonder who the Marlins wanted from the Rangers. Because I'd have to say that giving up Blalock, and Danks/Diamond would be about comparable to giving up Hanley Ramirez, Anabel Sanchez and the infamous PTBNL.

Unless the Rangers got cold feet in giving up one of their two big pitching prospects.

Scott D
11/21/2005, 07:44 PM
Well to my understanding, for most teams it was a case of taking Lowell off their hands, but him not being real important and they'd have rather gotten Beckett without Lowell.....Boston wanted Lowell as much as the Marlins wanted to get rid of him.

OklahomaTrombone
11/21/2005, 08:42 PM
:mad:

jk the sooner fan
11/21/2005, 08:46 PM
such is the life of an offseason ranger fan......i remember several years ago when Hicks made a push for Randy Johnson...he liked Dallas, but his wife didnt like the heat.........so they ummmmmmm, yeah they went to Arizona, where its much cooler......

oh well, at least we were in the mix for a bit......thats more than Hart ever did

Scott D
11/21/2005, 09:14 PM
btw Gammons amuses me....theoretically, the following scenario is possible.

Mets trade to acquire Carlos Delgado...they then turn around and deal Delgado in a package deal to acquire Manny...but then again that scenario was introduced by a NY paper.

Sooner04
11/22/2005, 10:27 AM
I cannot believe the Rangers botched this thing. Most of baseball thought this was a done deal from Florida to Texas.

Unreal.

jk the sooner fan
11/22/2005, 10:29 AM
the rangers didnt botch this.....Boston offered 3 players for 2....Texas offered Blalock and the Marlins pick of our top 2 pitching prospects

Boston added a "player to be named later" on top of the 2 for 2 trade

it has nothing to do with the rangers, and everything to do with Florida choosing what they thought was a better package.

edit: from what i've read on this, the Rangers were the first team to get some movement from Florida that they wanted to trade Beckett.....once the word was out, Boston joined in the fray, as did a couple of other teams....too many teams invited to the party, and we basically got outbid

OUstud
11/22/2005, 12:13 PM
Damn, we could have used Beckett.

soonerjoker
11/22/2005, 12:18 PM
rangers "boy wonder" gm too slow on trigger.
could have added something.
rangers are reluctant to trade for pitchers, since the chan ho ho deal.

soonerjoker
12/3/2005, 11:08 AM
too slow again.

OklahomaTrombone
12/3/2005, 11:11 AM
When your main competition is the Yankees...I don't think being slow matters....only the chedder matters.

soonerjoker
12/4/2005, 11:47 AM
Trom,
yer probly right.

jk the sooner fan
12/4/2005, 12:15 PM
i dont think he was ever seriously considering the rangers.......probably using them more as bait to drive up his FA value