PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning...Payback Time

Okla-homey
11/20/2005, 08:16 AM
November 20, 1945, NUREMBERG TRIALS BEGIN:

Sixty years ago today, 24 high-ranking Nazis went on trial in Nuremberg, Germany, for atrocities committed during World War II.

The Nuremberg Trials were conducted by an international tribunal made up of representatives from the United States, the Soviet Union, France, and Great Britain. It was the first trial of its kind in history, and the defendants faced charges ranging from crimes against peace, to war crimes, to crimes against humanity.

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/3097/nnjudges7sh.jpg

Lord Justice Geoffrey Lawrence, the British member, presided over the proceedings, which lasted 10 months and consisted of 216 court sessions.

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/6935/n800pxnurembergjudges1qg.jpg
Nuremberg judges, left to right: John Parker, Francis Biddle, Alexander Volchkov, Iola Nikitchenko, Geoffrey Lawrence, Norman Birkett

Perhaps unfortunately, the two biggest offenders (Hitler and Joseph Geobbels) avoided trial by offing-themselves in the Fuhrerbunker in Berlin just before the Red Army made it there to arrest the sick bastages.

On October 1, 1946, the 12 surviving architects of Nazi policy were sentenced to death. Seven others were sentenced to prison terms ranging from 10 years to life, and three were acquitted.

Of the original 24 defendants, one, Robert Ley, committed suicide while in prison, and another, Gustav Krupp von Bohlen und Halbach, was deemed mentally and physically incompetent to stand trial -- Krupp was of the great Krupp family of German war industrialists. (You can buy one of their coffee makers today BTW.)

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/5964/njodl12bn.jpg
Feldmarschal Alfred Jodl...big shot Nazi

Among those condemned to death by hanging were Joachim von Ribbentrop, Nazi minister of foreign affairs; Hermann Goering, leader of the Luftwaffe; Alfred Jodl, head of the German armed forces staff; Karl Doenitz, head of the Nazi navy, AKA Kriegsmarine who was declared Hitler's successor in der Fuhrer's will; and Wilhelm Frick, minister of the interior.

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/1685/nn103924hh.gif
Defendants Rudolf Hess (first row, left), Joachim von Ribbentrop (first row, right), Karl Doenitz (second row, left), Erich Raeder (second row, middle), and Balder von Schirach (second row, right) sit in the dock during the Nuremberg Trials, 1945-46.

On October 16, 10 of the architects of Nazi policy were hanged. Goering, who at sentencing was called the "leading war aggressor and creator of the oppressive program against the Jews," committed suicide by poison on the eve of his scheduled execution.

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/1820/ngoeringtestifying9kp.jpg
Goering testifies.

BTW,There is evidence an American MP officer the still charming Hermann Goering had befriended during incarceration., while not directly implicated, may have "looked the other way" when Goering killed himself. No one knows how or where Goering hid his cyanide capsules during his imprisonment and trial.

Nazi Party leader Martin Bormann was condemned to death in absentia (but is now believed to have died in May 1945). Trials of lesser German and Axis war criminals continued in Germany well into the 1950s and resulted in the conviction of 5,025 other defendants and the execution of 806.

One more fact I've always found interesting. Capital punishment is no longer the law in any European country. None of them. However, it was not outlawed in any European state until the last convicted war criminal was snuffed in the latter half of the 1950's. Hmmmm.:rolleyes:

olevetonahill
11/20/2005, 08:26 AM
Thanks Homey
On a side note or question how did they try in the early 50s ?
I barely remember a trial for someone accused of war crimes ( eichman maybe ) all I remember is we had a little black and white and the picture was grainey lol

Okla-homey
11/20/2005, 08:43 AM
Thanks Homey
On a side note or question how did they try in the early 50s ?
I barely remember a trial for someone accused of war crimes ( eichman maybe ) all I remember is we had a little black and white and the picture was grainey lol

By then it was just various small-time henchmen, not headliners. The Bundesrepublik itself administered most of those trials. Usually they'd get a guy when one of the great Nazi hunters such as Simon Wiesenthall would drop dime on some jerk who had been a cruel camp guard or local Nazi official. Most of those cats tried to blend into post-war Germany or had bailed for Latin America to places like Chile or Argentina.

SoonerProphet
11/20/2005, 11:32 AM
Eichman was tried and sentenced to death in Israel.

Okla-homey
11/20/2005, 01:00 PM
Eichman was tried and sentenced to death in Israel.

Which was excellent cause by then they had outlawed the death penalty in Germany I believe.:D

Okieflyer
11/20/2005, 02:03 PM
Great story.

I wonder how many of these bleeding hearts would like to go back and save these guys lives?:rolleyes:

KaiserSooner
11/20/2005, 02:13 PM
Which was excellent cause by then they had outlawed the death penalty in Germany I believe.:D

The death penalty was illegal in Israel too...

Actually, I find the whole Eichmann trial/death penalty to be a complete farce.

1.) He had no business being tried in Israel.

2.) Israel, a country which from the outset of its creation outlawed the death penalty, legalized the death penalty for this one particular case. To me, that shows a gross disrespect for the rule of law, especially for a liberal and democratic state such as Israel.

You would think, having been created in the shadows of the holocaust, Israel would have a greater respect and understanding for the rule of law, rather than changing the law on a whim.

Eichmann should have been brought to justice, absolutely, no doubt about it. It's just the where and the how it was done that chaps me.

Okla-homey
11/20/2005, 02:24 PM
The death penalty was illegal in Israel too...

Actually, I find the whole Eichmann trial/death penalty to be a complete farce.

1.) He had no business being tried in Israel.

2.) Israel, a country which from the outset of its creation outlawed the death penalty, legalized the death penalty for this one particular case. To me, that shows a gross disrespect for the rule of law, especially for a liberal and democratic state such as Israel.

You would think, having been created in the shadows of the holocaust, Israel would have a greater respect and understanding for the rule of law, rather than changing the law on a whim.

Eichmann should have been brought to justice, absolutely, no doubt about it. It's just the where and the how it was done that chaps me.

Interesting perspective. I didn't know any of that. I guess the Israelis just couldn't abide having Eichmann draw another breath given the great magnitude of his crimes against all those folks.

i.e.

SS-Obersturmbannfuehrer Karl Adolf Eichmann (1906-1962) was head of the Department for Jewish Affairs in the Gestapo from 1941 to 1945 and was chief of operations in the deportation of three million Jews to extermination camps.

As an aside, I believe the new Iraqi constitution lacks the death penalty. Wonder what will happen with sentencing when Saddam is convicted? There's no way the Kurds are going to want anything other than death. I guess we'll see.

KaiserSooner
11/20/2005, 08:03 PM
Interesting perspective. I didn't know any of that. I guess the Israelis just couldn't abide having Eichmann draw another breath given the great magnitude of his crimes against all those folks.

And I can understand that. But at the same time, neutralizing emotion in carrying out and enforcing the law is part and parcel of the rule of law.

Anyway, no biggie...it just rubs me the wrong way how Israel went about prosecuting him.

Okla-homey
11/20/2005, 09:12 PM
And I can understand that. But at the same time, neutralizing emotion in carrying out and enforcing the law is part and parcel of the rule of law.

Anyway, no biggie...it just rubs me the wrong way how Israel went about prosecuting him.

You know, the thing about man-made law is notwithstanding the fact we like to think of it as objective and unchanging; the only thing certain about it is it evolves to suit the preferences and exigencies of the people who make it.

Rogue
4/2/2006, 09:58 AM
Goering on how to convince people to go to war:

"Why would some poor slob on a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best that he can get out of it is to come back to his farm in one piece. Naturally, the common people don't want war; neither in Russia nor in England nor in America, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or a fascist dictatorship or a Parliament or a Communist dictatorship."

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/goering.htm