PDA

View Full Version : Insomnia Sucks

soonerbrat
11/19/2005, 06:54 AM
and not in a good way

BajaOklahoma
11/19/2005, 07:03 AM
Cut back on caffeine - some people have to stop it at Noon so they can go to sleep.
If you can't go to sleep, get up out of bed. They say that you want to associate the bed with sleeping, not insomnia.
Establish a bedtime pattern - lower the light level in the house for an hour before bed. Turn the TV sound level a bit lower. Take a warm shower/bath to relax. Turn down the room temperature and pile on the blankets. If you are achy, take a couple of Advil or Tylenol an hour before you want to go to sleep.
If it lasts a week, then consider talking to your doctor.

soonerbrat
11/19/2005, 07:07 AM
Cut back on caffeine - some people have to stop it at Noon so they can go to sleep.
If you can't go to sleep, get up out of bed. They say that you want to associate the bed with sleeping, not insomnia.
Establish a bedtime pattern - lower the light level in the house for an hour before bed. Turn the TV sound level a bit lower. Take a warm shower/bath to relax. Turn down the room temperature and pile on the blankets. If you are achy, take a couple of Advil or Tylenol an hour before you want to go to sleep.
If it lasts a week, then consider talking to your doctor.

i don't use caffeine...don't drink coffee, didn't consume any energy drinks or anything

couldn't sleep so i got up and came downstairs

all that other stuff..i do that

i just have a lot on my mind.

i go thru this every once in a while..i'll be ok in a week or 2...but it still sucks!

Okla-homey
11/19/2005, 07:19 AM
and not in a good way

Its time to get up anyways. As any hillbilly knows, there are livestock to be fed, stalls to be mucked, fences to be mended, cows to be milked, eggs to be collected, biscuits to be baked and in short, its a college football gameday.

BOOMER SOONER

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/19/2005, 07:21 AM
She just needs one of these fine SO males to date her, that will help her sleep ;)

soonerbrat
11/19/2005, 07:24 AM
yeah..it's time to get up now..it wasn't 4 hours ago :(

the cats are fed, the eggs are collected (from braum's), the cows were milked (by braum's), the stalls (litterbox) has been cleaned...

no biscuits just for myself, i'll just have toast

and now..waiting patiently for college football to start

ND/USC 1992 is on classic, i think....

soonerbrat
11/19/2005, 07:25 AM
She just needs one of these fine SO males to date her, that will help her sleep ;)

are you saying they are boring?

11/19/2005, 07:29 AM
I don't think I've slept more than 6 hours in any one night since high school. I've been an insomniac since early on... maybe age 7 or so.

Embrace it. You are awake to witness more of your own life.

Or see a doctor, which I've been thinking about doing for the last five years or so.

soonerbrat
11/19/2005, 07:41 AM
if i don't get enough sleep, am i really awake when i'm awake?

Czar Soonerov
11/19/2005, 08:43 AM
Are you really asleep when you're asleep?

OUAndy1807
11/19/2005, 08:57 AM
lately I've been having the same type of problem. I would lay down and couldn't get to sleep, so I just started staying up until I was exhausted, then I would fall asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.

The upside is that I stay up until 3:00 most nights so I can get everything I need done. The down side is that after 4 consecutive nights of about 3 hours of sleep, you tend to be pretty dead to the world. That and the fact that I'm up to a 2 liter a day of diet mountain dew.

It's a vicious cycle.

sanantoniosooner
11/19/2005, 09:03 AM
My wife has this knack of mentioning something that will irritate the crap out of me just moment before bed time. She then falls asleep as quickly as one of those dolls that close their eyes as they lay down.

Then my mind is racing for quite some time and sleep is impossible. This usually equates to 4-5 hours of sleep involving our stupid dog deciding to run in circles in the back yard and bark at the wind.

StoopTroup
11/19/2005, 09:14 AM
This kind of explains how I feel when I can't sleep.

http://homepage.mac.com/christophwk/iblog/B1375532474/C644352697/E1157882716/Media/Insomnia.jpg

Czar Soonerov
11/19/2005, 09:20 AM
http://www.rgj.com/news/files/2005/03/31/67505_250.jpg

sanantoniosooner
11/19/2005, 09:23 AM
http://flakmag.com/film/images/insomnia.jpg

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/19/2005, 10:36 AM
I am just saying you would be worn out ;)

are you saying they are boring?

OklahomaTrombone
11/19/2005, 10:48 AM
I have an awful time going to sleep, my mind is always racing and I can never calm down to sleep until I get to the point where I just shut down.

A few years ago it got so bad that I stayed up all night and finally passed out around 6-8 AM and would wake up around 3 PM....yeah...that didn'y work out to well with school :O

proud gonzo
11/19/2005, 11:01 AM
yeah. not one of pacino's best performance, but I thought robin williams was good.

King Crimson
11/19/2005, 12:10 PM
chamomille tea.

a couple valerian herbal extract softgels about an hour before bed with a glass of warm water.

Okla-homey
11/19/2005, 12:18 PM
Best thing to encourage and enhance sleep is regular exercise. If you bust a sweat three or fours times week for a half hour or so at least, you'll snooze better. We hard-wired that way.

Also, don't eat too late at night.

Just saying.

OUTromBoNado
11/19/2005, 02:04 PM
That movie was strange too.

soonerbrat
3/22/2006, 02:03 AM
the insomnia is back...has been for about 6 weeks now.

last night there was a thumping noise that kept waking me up, i could never figure out what it was. and i could hear it over my ear buds AND fan

homey...i rarely eat anything past 6 or 7, so it's not that

silverwheels
3/22/2006, 03:10 AM
I'm not so much an insomniac as I am a vampire. I would much rather sleep during the day than sleep at night. It just seems more natural to me.

yermom
3/22/2006, 07:12 AM
yeah, i can be up all night, but when the sun comes out i start wanting sleep

the best thing is the OUAndy1807 method, but that doesn't work too well with a job and stuff ;)

i'd do much better with 30+ hour days...

afs
3/22/2006, 09:07 AM
dude it's all about the stress in your life. I had teh same problem for a few months at the end/beginning of this year.

find some way to lower your worries and it will work itself out.

Mjcpr
3/22/2006, 09:25 AM
If you're going to be up anyway, could I get you to make a tee time for me at Disney World for June 21st? By the time I do it in the morning, there's nothing left.

TIA

ChickSoonerFan
3/22/2006, 09:49 AM
Sorry Brat. Not being able to sleep sucks. Monday night, I felt like I never went to sleep all the way....it really is the worst.

And the last few nights I have not been able to go to sleep before 1:00.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/22/2006, 10:10 AM
I had that problem a few nights, but now I think I have periodic anxiety attacks at night. Not good.

TopDaugIn2000
3/22/2006, 10:14 AM
luckily, I've never had this problem. My head hits the pillow and I'm out like a light 'til my alarm goes off. I try to get about 9 hours a night, or I'm worthless.

IB4OU2
3/22/2006, 10:22 AM
Have OUDoc help you schedule visits from the chartruse moth (Lunesta).....

Everyone needs help sleeping sometimes and this has helped me in the last year or so.

NormanPride
3/22/2006, 10:46 AM
Someone earlier nailed it for me. Exercise. You can't have insomnia if you're passed out from exhaustion! :D Plus, the endorphins (is that right?) released will make you happier, which will reduce stress, and make it easier to sleep anyway.

ChickSoonerFan
3/22/2006, 10:48 AM
Someone earlier nailed it for me. Exercise. You can't have insomnia if you're passed out from exhaustion! :D Plus, the endorphins (is that right?) released will make you happier, which will reduce stress, and make it easier to sleep anyway.

When I work out at night though, I have a harder time going to sleep. I think I get all worked up and have a hard time coming down.

IB4OU2
3/22/2006, 10:49 AM

Some folks can't exercise as much as others due to health problems, but I agree exercise if you can..........(my wife is an exercise nut, I like to watch her while drinking beer.)

Rogue
8/17/2008, 12:53 AM
I shoulda hit the drunkytown thread early and hard tonight.
Staying in DC this week, it's loud, smelly, busy, and has my mojo all out of whack. Ugh.

soonerbrat
8/17/2008, 08:10 AM
wow, i started this almost 3 years ago :eek:

i still have insomnia

King Crimson
8/17/2008, 08:36 AM
wow, i started this almost 3 years ago :eek:

i still have insomnia

you got to have a daily routine. at night you watch a movie, not TV because all the commercials excite your eyes with all the changes and stupidity. you watch a decent flick you relax. don't eat too late.

call me a wuss, like i posted before, chamomille tea or peppermint tea and some valerian herbal tab about an hour before you go to bed. getting hooked on Ambien is not the way to go.

i have to teach at 8 or 9 in the AM most of the time, and it takes me at least an hour of consciousness to be "alert"....so, i go to bed around Matlock/Soonertimes time sometimes.

teaching is a lot different than just "being there".

Jerk
8/17/2008, 09:10 AM
Ambien.

Turd_Ferguson
8/17/2008, 09:16 AM
http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/8f4f581f-5c50-4cc9-83da-7226d76f7f92_4.jpg

Flagstaffsooner
8/17/2008, 10:11 AM
If you are real nice to OUDoc....
http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/methaqualone/images/methaqualone_basics_sm.jpg

Curly Bill
8/17/2008, 11:05 AM
I'm not so much an insomniac as I am a vampire. I would much rather sleep during the day than sleep at night. It just seems more natural to me.

I just want to post in such a long-running thread by saying the above perfectly describes me as well. If I didn't have to work I'd totally embrace the vampire lifestyle.