PDA

View Full Version : Amusing retrospect evaluation via atlantasooner

Scott D
11/18/2005, 05:19 PM
OU did not really need to sign a QB this year, but OU was definitely able to take advantage of the vast positive press generated by Josh Heupel for the new OU offense especially for the QB position. Rawls was a late target for OU not really expressing interest or showing up on the recruiting radar until around mid October. Previously it had been presumed that Matt Jones from Arkansas was OU's top QB prospect. OU also had recruiting interest from top ten QB Brodie Croyle (the number one rated QB prospect who visited OU) and Matt Leinhart from California (OU actually probably would have landed Leinhart but could only offer one QB and Rawls beat Leinhart to the one slot OU had available.). So, in terms of quality grade, OU gets an A a QB. In terms of quantity, OU only needed to sign one QB and they got a great one so an A grade for quantity.

:eek:

Pat name the year ;)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/18/2005, 05:26 PM
http://www.atlantasooner.com/1999/overview.html

there are other things in there that are as surprising.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/18/2005, 05:27 PM
Well, it has been a wild OU recruiting season with disappointments and surprises at every turn. Despite what you may hear from some fans, don't be misled OU signed a great class and any gap between OU and UT in recruiting is razor thin. This OU class is as good as last year's class and actually might be better in terms of having fulfilled needs. Some new trends in OU recruiting have been clearly established.

Before I get to the review, a quick shoutout to some Web page readers who are currently serving in the Armed Forces,

UMP

Ben in Pensacola

OU's recruiting class is going to be ranked anywhere from top 5 to top 10 depending upon who is doing the rankings. Some recruitniks won’t rate OU's Texas crop as highly as others. But it's great class.

So what are the new trends.

1. OU is making a concentrated effort in both Florida and California to open up those pipelines. Jackie Shipp arguably OU's best recruiter was sent to Florida to recruit. Chuck Long was sent to California to work that area. It paid off with 3 blue chips this year.

2. OU’s national recruiting efforts are only going to continue. OU has verbals from Montana, North Carolina, Kansas, Missouri, California, Florida, California, Louisiana. And OU also had visitors from Michigan, Virginia, and Pennsylvania. OU's national championship impact was really felt this year. As OU continues to be in the top ten, on Espn Gameday, so OU's national profile will only increase. Remember Bob Stoops not Mack Brown was featured on Sportscenter as being the most pursued coach in college football. These things have an impact.

3. OU will offer their sleepers in November/early December not late January. OU coaches do their evaluations and will offer sleepers at that time. January is strictly left for hunting blue chips so to speak.

4. In state kids if they are not blue chips, better not make OU wait. The ship won’t be around for them later.

What were the surprises and disappointments.

1. Surprises:

Latimer: beating CU in their backyard (CU is having a pretty good class) and Miami for a legacy is pretty amazing. Latimer takes away a lot of the sting of losing Brian Pickryl. Jimmy Wilkerson clone.

Blanton: everyone had this speedster going to Tennessee. Then boom he visits Norman and never ends up visiting Tenn. Blanton is probably the fastest prep player in the country. A real shock

Rankins: what is OU doing recruiting a WR from North Carolina and beating Michigan and UGA??

Josh Roberts: OU signing a kicker from Montana, next you will tell me that OU is going to get a QB from North Dakota J.

2. Disappointments

Pickryl: losing a Jenks prospect at a need position is just tough. But Pickryl never visited so OU never had a real shot

Blalock: the one big time UT recruit that I’d love to add to OU’s class. When Mangino left so did OU’s chances.

Ugoh: this one hurt. OU appeared to be leading. Somehow Arkansas turned him. Mangino leaving also had an impact here.

Garnett Smith: Garnett really connected with Venables and really wanted to be a Sooner. Dad wanted him to be a horn. End of story.

Selvin Young: I thought he was going to be a Sooner

Curtis Justus: I thought he was going to be a Sooner

this is the next class

TopDawg
11/18/2005, 05:27 PM
I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/18/2005, 05:28 PM
RB:

Okay with the signing of Hickson and Jones last year, RB was not a great need. However, as the OU season progressed and the offense struggled at times with the renewed focus on the running game and blitz protection Fullback become a key position. OU secured that with JD Runnels.

Grades quality B quantity A

recruiting rankings effect showing

OU_Sooners75
11/18/2005, 05:36 PM
Im not Pat, but it was 2000

Scott D
11/18/2005, 05:42 PM
actually it was 01...but close enough :)

I came across that site when I was looking up info for something else.

Eric Bassey 6-1,170,4.35. Garland TX. Bassey is the true cover corner in this class. Bassey's speed is for real and is the kind of cover corner that the ou coaches love. Bassey had a productive senior year on offense but was recruited as a cover corner. As a senior he had 37 tackles with two for loss as a defensive back, posted 24 catches for 276 yards. Wouldn't surprise me to see Bassey play some next or redshirt. It will really just depend upon depth situation at CB.

my other gem...damn you Michael Stoops for your destructive nature!!!

Mjcpr
11/18/2005, 06:20 PM
:eek:

Pat name the year ;)

I'll have to go check and see what year Mike Leach offered some of those QBs.

;)

OU NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
11/19/2005, 02:37 AM
"OU is making a concentrated effort in both Florida and California to open up those pipelines"

--------------

Finally! I thought after Howard was here, we would get started. Then with Bob from FL, I thought it would happen. Thanks for the info.

==============

"OU has verbals ..." I heard that someone from '07 has committed - Oklahoma player.

Blast from the past on recruiting disappointments. DJ went to UT, but never played for a NC. Here, he probably would have won one. Interesting to think about what would have happened if we had ML and USC didn't.

LSUdeek
11/21/2005, 05:50 PM
Blast from the past on recruiting disappointments. DJ went to UT, but never played for a NC. Here, he probably would have won one. Interesting to think about what would have happened if we had ML and USC didn't.

I don't know. They actually play defense in the Big XII...

stoopified
11/27/2005, 11:20 PM
MMMM,interesting.