PDA

View Full Version : **2005-06 MLB Offseason Hot Stove**

Scott D
11/17/2005, 07:55 PM
Based on the suggestion from 04 earlier, here's a new thread to discuss moves, lack of moves, and rumors about moves during the baseball offseason. So far on the major front...

Matsui back with Yankees

Manny wants to be traded (again)

Mets deal Cameron to Padres for Nady (pending physical)

Yankees rumored to be interested in Brian Giles and Johnny Damon.

Suppossedly the Rangers may part with Kevin Mench and/or Soriano (I'd doubt the latter part) if they sign Rafael Furcal.

Twins allegedly looking at bringing in either Jim Thome or Mike Piazza if not both...and possibly trading Torii Hunter, with the Yankees being the primary suitor there.

GDC
11/17/2005, 08:46 PM
AJ Burnett to Jays, 5 year deal? Jays will be tough with him added to the starters they have.

Scott D
11/17/2005, 08:55 PM
Jays are also suppossedly in a bidding war for BJ Ryan also.

GDC
11/17/2005, 09:06 PM
Jays are also suppossedly in a bidding war for BJ Ryan also.

Man, I thought he was going to be a Yankee.

AllAboutThe'O'
11/17/2005, 10:21 PM
Based on the suggestion from 04 earlier, here's a new thread to discuss moves, lack of moves, and rumors about moves during the baseball offseason. So far on the major front...

Matsui back with Yankees

Manny wants to be traded (again)

Mets deal Cameron to Padres for Nady (pending physical)

Yankees rumored to be interested in Brian Giles and Johnny Damon.

Suppossedly the Rangers may part with Kevin Mench and/or Soriano (I'd doubt the latter part) if they sign Rafael Furcal.

Twins allegedly looking at bringing in either Jim Thome or Mike Piazza if not both...and possibly trading Torii Hunter, with the Yankees being the primary suitor there.
I can't see the Rangers signing Furcal. Lot of baseball insiders have him pegged to go to the Cubs. I can see Soriano or Mench being traded.
I also think the Reds are going to break up the outfield of Adam Dunn, Junior and Wily Mo Pena. One of those guys are going to be shipped somewhere.

GrapevineSooner
11/17/2005, 11:29 PM
Jon Daniels was on with Norm on the Ticket this morning. He said the feeling he gets from Burnett's people is that he's really impressed with Toronto in part because of pitching coach Brad Arnsberg.

Who, BTW, saved Nolan Ryan's 300th win.

Scott D
11/18/2005, 12:52 PM
New/Updated stuff on 11/18.

Burnett to Jays considered almost a done deal with a 5/$50 offer. Baltimore, Texas, Seattle, Washington, Boston and St. Louis are still in the running right now though.

Sawx have made an offer to Johnny Damon.

Orioles and Mets both rumored to be heavily interested in Carlos Delgado

Sawx suppossedly have David Wells on the table, and he wants to go back out west.

Carl Pavano suppossedly wants out of New York.

White Sox may deal Aaron Rowand for the right price to bring in rookie Brian Anderson..one Rowand rumor has him going to the Yankees in a 3 team deal that may or may not involve the Angels and Jerrod Washburn.

Arizona and the Mets interested in Padres free agent Ramon Hernandez.

Mets still interested in trading for Manny Ramierez, but may end up scrapping those plans as long as Boston is unsettled in the front office.

and what may be the most interesting development...Ichiro is reported to want out of Seattle.

Boomhauer
11/18/2005, 01:46 PM
On the Cubs front:

Cubs traded John Leicester to the Rangers for the famous "Player to be Named Later" Some say that this trade is going to lead to something bigger between the Cubs and Rangers. Maybe Mench?

Yesterday the Cubs signed Scott Eyre from the San Francisco Giants. Scott was supposibly the most talented Set up man on the market this year. Not a bad year but probably the best he will ever have.

Most think that Furcal is going to be a Cub. If this happens look for the Cubs to trade Todd Walker to pick up an outfielder to replace Burnitz.

I know as a Cub fan that I don't look for much to happen with this team!

Scott D
11/19/2005, 03:08 AM
yeah so far Cubs are the only ones to be anywhere near Furcal's demands (10-11 mil per year, 5 years). Padres might be dealing an outfielder provided Cameron passes his physical despite the fact that it's very likely that they may lose Giles.

Dunn is reportedly available from the Reds...for a high price.

Twins might be the most interesting...for a cash strapped franchise...rumors of bringing in any of Piazza, Thome, Frank Thomas, or Garciaparra if not more than one of them just seem somewhat odd...but if rumors of Torii Hunter being on the market are true, then one of those four might be in Minnesota next season.

GDC
11/21/2005, 11:45 AM
oh boy (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/fan_forum/scott_stapp/index.jsp)

Sooner04
11/21/2005, 11:56 AM
Cameron is now officially a Padre after passing the physical on his previously shattered face.

Scott D
11/21/2005, 01:14 PM
That brings up something interesting then 04. With the trading for Cameron.....the Pad's GM seems to think that he can likely get Brian Giles to re-sign with the Padres, you think they'll do a package deal including Dave Roberts to Boston for David Wells (if available)?

GDC
11/21/2005, 01:24 PM
That brings up something interesting then 04. With the trading for Cameron.....the Pad's GM seems to think that he can likely get Brian Giles to re-sign with the Padres, you think they'll do a package deal including Dave Roberts to Boston for David Wells (if available)?

Gawd I hate Dave Roberts.:(

GrapevineSooner
11/21/2005, 02:38 PM
Gawd I love Dave Roberts. :D

Scotty
11/21/2005, 02:47 PM

I really don't see this happening. If the rangers are going to trade any big name players, it would be for an Adam Eaton type pitcher, something that they really need. Last year, Texas was at the top of almost every offensive category, but the pitching just didn't get it done.

Sooner04
11/21/2005, 03:35 PM
I have no idea what Giles will do. It seems to change every day.

Wells badly wants to come back to San Diego, but I'm not sure what it's going to take to get him. Hopefully it'll be Dave Roberts with a solid AAA prospect. Much more than that, and I'll get worried.

Scott D
11/23/2005, 10:39 AM
Ok..today's update.

Manny's list of teams to be traded to comes down to the Angels and Mariners...(perhaps a deal involving Ichiro?)

Marlins aren't done...Mets are the leaders in the race for Carlos Delgado. Juan Pierre and Paul Lo Duca are also rumored to be on the block.

And for you Ranger fans...the team is suppossedly putting in offers with Matt Morris and Paul Byrd, and may still deal Hank Blalock, but to the pitching rich Twins for Kyle Lohse and Scott Baker.

Yankees are suppossedly waiting to see if Brian Giles is going to go back to San Diego in terms of deciding if they are going to pursue him.

Scott D
11/23/2005, 11:21 AM
Sounds like the Delgado to Mets is pretty much a done deal.

One season later, Carlos Delgado is headed to the New York Mets.

The Mets reached a preliminary agreement Wednesday to acquire Delgado and $7 million from the Florida Marlins for first baseman Mike Jacobs and pitcher Yusmeiro Petit, a baseball official familiar with the talks said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the deal was not final.

Boomhauer
11/23/2005, 01:05 PM
Looks like the Cubs are close to aquiring Bobby Howry who had been with the Cleveland Indians last year.

"Howry, like Eyre a former White Sox pitcher, was 7-4 with a 2.47 ERA in 79 games for the Indians, and had a 0.99 ERA in the second half. He allowed only four homers and 16 walks in 73 innings. The two relievers would replace the departed Mike Remlinger and LaTroy Hawkins in setting up closer Ryan Dempster."

0.99 ERA in the second half of the season is pretty sick. Look for him to be signed, hopefully, by the weekend. I think that Hendry has done a good job so far in solidifying the bullpen. To bring in Scott Eyre and now Howry....our bullpen should be set. Now we need to focus on a CF..RF..and SS.

Boomhauer
11/23/2005, 03:20 PM
ESPNews is reporting that the Phillies and White Sox are dealing. The Phillies will send Jim Thome to the White Sox for CF Rowand. We will see if this happens.

Boomhauer
11/23/2005, 08:01 PM
OFFICIAL:

By RICK GANO
AP Sports Writer
CHICAGO (AP) -- Bobby Howry agreed to a $12 million, three-year contract with the Chicago Cubs on Wednesday, becoming the second free agent reliever in a week to join the team's restocked bullpen.
The terms of Howry's deal were revealed by two people familiar with the negotiations who spoke on condition of anonymity because Chicago had not yet announced the deal.
A week earlier, the Cubs agreed to a contract with Scott Eyre that guaranteed the left-hander $11 million over three years. Like Eyre, Howry once pitched for the Chicago White Sox.
The 32-year-old Howry pitched for the White Sox from 1998 until he was deal at the 2002 trade deadline to the Boston Red Sox. In 1999, he saved 28 games for the White Sox.
Howry initially joined the White Sox from the San Francisco
Giants organization in the so-called "White Flag" trade of 1997, when Chicago traded away three of its top pitchers at the deadline, even though the White Sox trailed by only a slim margin in the AL Central.
Howry spent the last two seasons with the Indians and appeared in 79 games last season, going 7-4 record with a 2.47 ERA. He allowed only four homers in 73 innings.
He and Eyre will give the Cubs strong setup men for closer Ryan Dempster.
Chicago's offseason interests also have included free-agent shortstop Rafael Furcal and perhaps another starting pitcher, especially if Kerry Wood -- who had shoulder surgery late last season -- is not ready for the beginning of the season.
Howry, who is represented by agent Craig Landis, made $900,000 last season.

"

Boomhauer
11/24/2005, 11:02 AM
This would be HUGE! Getting a proven centerfielder and leadoff hitter. Hopefully it happens and then we can concentrate on bringing Furcal to the Cubs.

FROM ROTOWORLD:

"WSCR 670 in Chicago is reporting that the Cubs are close to acquiring Juan Pierre from the Marlins for three prospects.
One would be left-hander Renyel Pinto. According to the report, center fielder Felix Pie wouldn't be involved. Another expendable reliever probably would be. Roberto Novoa or Jermaine Van Buren could help the Marlins. Nov. 23 - 9:10 pm et"

GDC
11/25/2005, 08:51 AM
Yanks still after Ryan and Giles, trying to keep Gordon.

Scott D
11/25/2005, 10:42 AM
looks like the Padres rejected the offer from Giles' people which is reportedly for a lot less than he could get from other suitors (read....Yankees and Cubs), so it's looking like he won't be returning to San Diego.

Yanks may go after Philly's Jason Michaels, or possibly trade for Milton Bradley.

GrapevineSooner
11/25/2005, 11:59 AM
Milton Bradley's got game. ;)

jk the sooner fan
11/25/2005, 12:29 PM
the Rangers made FA offerings to Matt Morris and Paul Byrd...doubtful we get either one of them

Salt City Sooner
11/28/2005, 04:29 PM
Well, at least B.J. Ryan's initials are appropriate. ESPN is reporting that he signed a $47 million deal with the Blue Jays.

Salt City Sooner
11/28/2005, 05:03 PM
Also, the Mutts got Billy Wagner. $43 million over 4 years.

Boomhauer
11/30/2005, 10:55 AM
I love the Cubs..so I will keep you up to date with what it happening with them:

Braves free-agent shortstop Rafael Furcal is leaning toward signing with the Chicago Cubs. A source familiar with negotiations said Furcal received a five-year offer from the Cubs that was significantly greater than he was offered by the Braves, in dollars and contract length. The race for Furcal is down to two or three teams -- Braves, Cubs and possibly the Los Angeles Dodgers -- with a decision expected within a few days.
-- Atlanta Journal-Constitution

AND

The Cubs are interested in trading for Dodgers outfielder Milton Bradley but talks appear to be preliminary at this point.
-- Daily Herald

The first one is a no brainer. We need him at Short. I would love it if Hendry would leave Milton Bradley alone! He is a HUGE headcase. We just got rid of Sosa...don't need another one. Hopefully a trade with Pierre will pan out.

Scott D
11/30/2005, 06:40 PM
Alright..around the league...

Anaheim has put in an offer to Paul Konerko's people rumored to be 5/$60. Konerko rejected the 5/$65 from Baltimore yesterday...Chicago is likely going to add a 5th year to their offer which would keep Konerko in Chicago.

Giles is expected to make a decision soon, and the 'front runners' are the Dodgers, Mariners, Blue Jays, and Yankees. It's said he wants to remain out west if possible and has priced himself out of the Padres market.

Blue Jays may make trades for either or both of Lyle Overbay from Milwaukee and Kevin Mench of the Texas Rangers

Johnny Damon is on the Yankees radar as well, but not at the 7 years he is reportedly seeking. Red Sox still the front runner in the chase for Damon though (and it isn't much of a chase because of his demands)

Yankees interest in Milton Bradley and Juan Pierre is waning, so it's likely they won't trade for either of them. Yankees are also negotiating with Kyle Farnsworth for the bullpen and have an interest in Julian Tavarez should Tom Gordon go to Philly to replace Billy Wagner as their closer.

Cleveland looking at Trevor Hoffman, Nomar Garciaparra, Reggie Sanders, Preston Wilson and Juan Encarnacion as potential signing possibilities (some not all)

Twins are likely to move Michael Cuddyer to Right Field and go after either Bill Mueller or Nomar Garciaparra to play 3rd base.

Royals have made a contract offer to OF Jacques Jones. (Big balls by the Royals here)

The Rangers have an offer out to Octavio Dotel and have expressed interest in Farnsworth, Jason Grimsley, Braden Looper and Felix Rodriguez. They have considered Jose Mesa, who had 27 saves as the Pittsburgh Pirates closer last season but has told the Rangers that he would consider an eighth-inning role as well.

GrapevineSooner
11/30/2005, 06:44 PM
Supposedly, there's also a rumor flying around that the A's are shopping Barry Zito around. The Rangers, who originally drafted him but allowed him to re-enter the draft over $50,000, are one of the possible suitors.

Though, I think Billy Beane would be nuts to trade Zito to a division rival.

AllAboutThe'O'
11/30/2005, 06:45 PM
Konerko re-signed with the White Sox today. No big surprise there.

Scott D
11/30/2005, 07:27 PM
Supposedly, there's also a rumor flying around that the A's are shopping Barry Zito around. The Rangers, who originally drafted him but allowed him to re-enter the draft over $50,000, are one of the possible suitors.

Though, I think Billy Beane would be nuts to trade Zito to a division rival.

Yeah I've heard that Zito is likely on the market. The amusement is that they sign Loiaza for $7 mil per season, but can't/won't retain Zito for $8.5 mil per season

Mets are also rumored to be interested in obtaining Zito....that'd be a nice 1-2 punch with Pedro and Zito.

Mjcpr
12/1/2005, 11:00 AM
Giles to sign with San Diego it looks like....good news for 04. :)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2242891

Salt City Sooner
12/1/2005, 11:41 PM
Stark is reporting that Philly has signed Flash Gordon to a 3 year deal.

AustinTXHorn
12/2/2005, 01:04 AM
Stark is reporting that Philly has signed Flash Gordon to a 3 year deal.
Who the hell would sign a 38 year old relief pitcher with rapidly declining stuff to a 3-year deal?

Rangers apparently made a competetive offer for Farnsworth. Between the Yankees and the Rangers. Gee...I wonder who's going to win THIS bidding war.

I love Farnsworth, but a 3-4 year deal worth $17-19 million is not worth it for a setup man.

I hope the Rangers can get Dotel on a one year deal.

Salt City Sooner
12/2/2005, 01:51 AM
"Who the hell would sign a 38 year old relief pitcher with rapidly declining stuff to a 3-year deal?
You & I watched a different pitcher last year apparently, because the Flash I saw in '05 still consistently hit 95-97 on the gun & still had one of the best hooks in the game. As I stated on the Yankees, thread, he & Mo were the ONLY 2 reliable things in the pen last year. I'd have been more than happy had he decided to return as Mo's setup man. Is he old? In pitcher's terms, certainly. Has he shown signs of that age? Not yet.

AustinTXHorn
12/2/2005, 02:03 AM
You & I watched a different pitcher last year apparently, because the Flash I saw in '05 still consistently hit 95-97 on the gun & still had one of the best hooks in the game. As I stated on the Yankees, thread, he & Mo were the ONLY 2 reliable things in the pen last year. I'd have been more than happy had he decided to return as Mo's setup man. Is he old? In pitcher's terms, certainly. Has he shown signs of that age? Not yet.
He doesn't throw the curveball nearly as much as he used to because he can't. It's still decent, but there were times last year when he never threw it. The fastball his still great, though.

Scott D
12/2/2005, 09:26 AM
Ok now that Gordon has officially signed with Philly, and as others have posted the Rangers are somewhat competing with the Yanks for Farnsworth here's the other goings on.

Manny Ramirez - Mets still very interested, and the Angels may be back in the picture after failing to sign Paul Konerko who returned to the White Sox (woo!)

Mets suppossedly shopping Kris Benson (his wife is majorly hot) for relief help. They're expected to make strong pushes to get either Barry Zito or Javier Vasquez for their rotation, perhaps both (longshot).

Twins are talking to the Marlins about Luis Castillo, something to keep an eye on. The Cardinals, Mets, and Red Sox interested in Castillo as well.

Tigers are active in trying to get Matt Morris, AJ Burnett, Kevin Millwood, and Nomar Garciaparra...the likeliest of these is probably Morris.

White Sox rumored to be interested in acquiring either Juan Pierre or Joey Gaithright to bat second and play center field.

Boomhauer
12/2/2005, 09:58 AM
HENDRY DO NOT...I REPEAT DO NOT DROP THE BALL ON PIERRE AND FURCAL. Furcal's agent said that the Dodgers have extended the same offer to Furcal as the Cubs and Pierre was going to be shipped to a lot of rumored places other than the Cubs. Going into the offseason we knew we needed a CF, SS, RF, and relief pitching. Hendry has done a good job with the bullpen. I just can't stomach anymore of Macias and Neifi Perez! Corey Patterson better not be back either. If I see him strikeout one more time with the bases loaded I will puke!

OUthunder
12/2/2005, 10:05 AM
Yankees sign veteran Stinnett. Free agent to replace Flaherty as New York's backup catcher.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051130&content_id=1273994&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

Farnsworth almost a done dealio.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051201&content_id=1274407&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

soonerjoker
12/3/2005, 11:04 AM
Rangers miss out on another pitcher.

Boomhauer
12/3/2005, 06:10 PM
From the Score 670 in Chicago: I guess Phil Rogers from the Chicago Tribune is going to come out with this article tomorrow. Look for this trade to be done soon!!!!

Cubs get Barry Zito and Kevin Mench

A's get Alfonso Soriano and prospects

Rangers get Kerry Wood, Todd Walker, plus 6 million in Cash

PERSONALLY...I think that the only way that the Cubs will do this is if they have Furcal already in the bag. There is no way they can make this trade with no proven Shortstop (Roger Cedeno) and no proven 2B (Neifi Perez). I would love to have Zito and Mench though!!!!!

Mjcpr
12/3/2005, 10:49 PM
If all goes according to Cub lore, next year will be Wood's first in a long line of 20 win seasons and Cy Young Award wins.

I hate to see him go, but he just hasn't been able to get healthy and stay healthy. I worry he's another elbow/shoulder injury waiting to happen. I wish him luck though.

Mjcpr
12/4/2005, 12:53 AM
Furcal agrees to contract with Dodgers....

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2246996

AustinTXHorn
12/4/2005, 04:01 AM
Rumors about Soriano going to the Red Sox for Manny Ramirez.

As much as I would love to get pitching, the thought of Manny in the Ranger lineup makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

If you get Ramirez, then Mench becomes much more tradeable. You can package Mench with someone for some good pitching.

Boomhauer
12/4/2005, 09:04 AM
Geez!!!! I knew that this would happen!!!! Furcal to the Dodgers. 8 oclock in the morning and I am already depressed. Hopefully this will be a good week at the GM meetings for the Cubs. Trades HAVE TO HAPPEN in order for the Cubs to be competitive.

Mjcpr
12/4/2005, 11:52 AM
Geez!!!! I knew that this would happen!!!! Furcal to the Dodgers. 8 oclock in the morning and I am already depressed. Hopefully this will be a good week at the GM meetings for the Cubs. Trades HAVE TO HAPPEN in order for the Cubs to be competitive.

For a team whos farm system was so raved about a few short years ago, I sure haven't seen much of it brought to the big leagues. :(

Boomhauer
12/4/2005, 03:31 PM
For a team whos farm system was so raved about a few short years ago, I sure haven't seen much of it brought to the big leagues. :(

I think that your quote has been the downfall of Jim Hendry. He has heard that we have the best farm team in baseball, blah, blah, blah. Well with him knowing that he doesn't want to go out on a limb and trade a few of them for proven POSITION veteran players. We have a decent Pitching Staff IF ALL ARE HEALTHY!!!! There is not one guy that is spectacular on the Cubs right now that we brought up from the farm system.

1B: Derek Lee (trade from Florida)
2B: Todd Walker (came from Boston)
SS: Ronny Cendeno (from minors but unproven)
3B: Aramis Ramirez (trade from Pittsburgh)
LF: Matt Murton (from minors with the most upside)
CF: Corey Patterson (from minors but sucks bad!)
RF: ?????? (No one unless you put John Maybry there :-(
C: Michael Barrett (trade from Oakland)

BOTTOM LINE: We need help!

Salt City Sooner
12/6/2005, 08:18 PM
& in other news, the Dodgers name as their manager........

Grady Little.

AllAboutThe'O'
12/7/2005, 01:29 AM
The Reds are trading Sean Casey to the Pirates for pitcher Dave Williams.
Horrible, horrible trade for the Reds. Casey is by far the most popular player on the team and is arguably the most beloved Red of all time. Williams is one of those classic "has good stuff but just hasn't put it all together" hurlers. One plus side of this trade is that Casey is going back home; he's from the Pittsburgh area.
But the Reds could've been better off trading one of their surplus of outfielders for pitching help. It doesn't matter if Casey's skills are starting to diminish or not, you don't trade the one guy who's well-respected on the team and in the community.:mad:

Boomhauer
12/7/2005, 08:54 AM
Cubs have traded three pitchers to the Marlins for CF Juan Pierre. A really good move. Now they need RF and SS. Trade for Lugo and Huff from Tampa and this will be a great offseason!

Mjcpr
12/7/2005, 09:41 AM
Cubs have traded three pitchers to the Marlins for CF Juan Pierre. A really good move. Now they need RF and SS. Trade for Lugo and Huff from Tampa and this will be a great offseason!
What 3 pitchers?

Edit: Sergio Mitre (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7186) and prospects Renyel Pinto and Ricky Nolasco

Boomhauer
12/7/2005, 09:58 AM
Those are the three. Sorry...should have put 3 minor league pitchers.

Sooner04
12/7/2005, 09:59 AM
This is as hot as I've ever seen the hot stove, and I've got to think the outlandish contracts being given to mediocre ballplayers has a lot to do with it. Teams are burning the midnight oil with interesting trades instead of throwing money around like the Blue Jays.

FUN!

Mjcpr
12/7/2005, 10:03 AM
The Cubs have a lot of work to do. (Song: 1, Verse: 98)

Don't the Mets go through this same process every once in a while? They suck, then they throw money at any and all big name players to get them to come there, they don't live up to expectations, they unload, they suck again.

soonerjoker
12/7/2005, 10:42 AM
can you believe esteban loiza got 21 mil.

i think someone among the "big red machine" might be the most popular
"red" of all time. like Bench or Rose.

Boomhauer
12/7/2005, 10:49 AM
The Cubs have a lot of work to do. (Song: 1, Verse: 98)

Don't the Mets go through this same process every once in a while? They suck, then they throw money at any and all big name players to get them to come there, they don't live up to expectations, they unload, they suck again.

The only thing that would bring the Mets back where if Bobby Valentine were still the coach. Man...that guy was a class act!!!! :rolleyes:

Soonerborn03
12/7/2005, 12:55 PM
sorry...didn't read the whole thread and don't know how to delete a post anymore

AllAboutThe'O'
12/7/2005, 08:27 PM
What 3 pitchers?

Edit: Sergio Mitre (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7186) and prospects Renyel Pinto and Ricky Nolasco
How many more pitching prospects do the Marlins need? They have enough to stock their entire minor league roster and then some.
Then again, they're doing a better job acquiring pitchers this offseason than the Rangers are doing.

OklahomaTrombone
12/7/2005, 11:30 PM
Soriano traded to the Nats

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2251887

The Nationals have acquired Texas Rangers' second baseman Alfonso Soriano in exchange for Brad Wilkerson, Terrmel Sledge and a minor-leaguer to be named later, ESPN's Peter Gammons reports.

GrapevineSooner
12/7/2005, 11:31 PM
Soriano traded to the Nats

Bastard beat me to it. ;)

Anyway...

Sayanora Soriano.

jk the sooner fan
12/7/2005, 11:43 PM
hmm, soriano traded for 2 outfielders.....who dont pitch

color me surprised........

Sooner04
12/7/2005, 11:56 PM
I bet this Soriano rule just gets the ball rolling. That's ten million off the book, now they can throw that money at some arms.

In other dominoes falling news: Padres re-sign Trevor Hoffman and trade Mark Loretta for Doug Mirabelli. The pessimist in me screams WTF, while the optimist hopes this is just the beginning of some major trading.

OklahomaTrombone
12/8/2005, 12:04 AM
Gammons was saying that getting Wilkerson will allow them to trade Mench...hopefully for pitching

OklahomaTrombone
12/8/2005, 12:06 AM
Also...Bernie Williams was offered Salary Arbitration from the yanks

Ruuuuuufus
12/8/2005, 01:20 AM
The yankees offered arbitration to Bernie under the condition that he turns it down so they can continue to negotiate over the next month. It would be funny to see him accept the arbitration.

AustinTXHorn
12/8/2005, 02:34 AM
Gammons was saying that getting Wilkerson will allow them to trade Mench...hopefully for pitching
I think they're about to trade Mench, too.

I don't see why else they would trade for Terrmel Sledge. That gives them three left fielders between him, Mench, and Dellucci.

I like the Soriano deal. Wilkerson is a good player who will put up numbers that are just as good as Soriano's in Arlington, is a lot cheaper, and isn't as crappy defensively. And the PTBNL is a pitcher, who was one of the top prospects in the Nats organization. It was the guy that Jamey Newberg wanted to get most, so I trust him.

I also don't understand Mirabelli for Loretta. wtf?

jk the sooner fan
12/8/2005, 07:28 AM
just as good as Soriano's?

dude, what are you smoking......he had 11 HR's last year, and 32 the year before.....he's NEVER put up soriano numbers

the pitcher to be named later is Armando Galarraga

OklahomaTrombone
12/8/2005, 10:04 AM
So with Clemens not being offered arbitration....what do you think he'll do?

jk the sooner fan
12/8/2005, 10:06 AM
retire.

Ruuuuuufus
12/8/2005, 10:30 AM
Armando Galarraga is probably the 3rd or 4th best pitching prospect in the Nats organization. He went a combined 6-8 last year between A and AA with a combined 3.80 ERA and has a pretty good slider.

Wilkerson will have better batting stats than Soriano next year. He should get up near a .900 OPS and 30-35 HRs.

Boomhauer
12/8/2005, 11:24 AM
Red Sox trade Edgar Renteria to the Braves for Adam Martre.

TopDawg
12/8/2005, 02:20 PM
I think Edgar will do well in Atlanta.

OklahomaTrombone
12/8/2005, 02:54 PM
Kenny Rogers gets 16 Mil/2 YR from the Tigers

AustinTXHorn
12/8/2005, 02:56 PM
just as good as Soriano's?

dude, what are you smoking......he had 11 HR's last year, and 32 the year before.....he's NEVER put up soriano numbers
Well, first, not only was Wilkerson playing in a pitchers haven last year, but he was also hurt much of last year and had the worst year of his career. I doubt he peaked at 27.

I don't agree that Wilkerson has never put up Soriano numbers.
Look at their OPS numbers from 2004...

Soriano: .808
Wilkerson: .872

Just two years ago Wilkerson had a much better year than Soriano did and Wilkerson didn't get to play 81 games in Arlington.

Soriano on the road last year...
.224/.265/.374

Wilkerson at home last year in the worst of his career...
.236/.367/.395

He's going to benefit greatly from hitting in the ballpark and he's not going to have a year like he did last year again.

And last but not least...career OPS...
Soriano: .820
Wilkerson: .817

jk the sooner fan
12/8/2005, 03:15 PM
well the beauty of sports is that they'll play the games and we'll soon find out whether he can/will contribute as everybody thinks

i like that we got rid of soriano's contract and got something in return for it, rather than letting him leave here as a FA after arbitration and getting nothing.

if we can trade mench for the kid in LA, and get Benson, then i'll be happy

Mjcpr
12/8/2005, 03:15 PM
And last but not least...career OPS...
Soriano: .820
Wilkerson: .817

What was Mr. Holland's OPS?

AustinTXHorn
12/8/2005, 03:21 PM
What was Mr. Holland's OPS?
4/4

if we can trade mench for the kid in LA, and get Benson, then i'll be happy
I'm kinda liking the Benson idea. I get the feeling that Nix isn't going to come around and ever be great and Dominguez is way too flakey to be in the Rangers long term plans.

Benson is a solid pitcher who will eat some innings and add some credibility to the rotation.

Sooner04
12/8/2005, 03:38 PM
I'm kinda liking the Benson idea.
You just want to be on the Rangers training staff when Kris finally throws some dirty leg on the road.

AustinTXHorn
12/8/2005, 03:39 PM
You just want to be on the Rangers training staff when Kris finally throws some dirty leg on the road.
Yep. :texan:

Scott D
12/8/2005, 03:46 PM
mmmmmm (http://www.annabenson.net/)

jk the sooner fan
12/8/2005, 03:47 PM
cbssportslines rumor mill says that Toronto was interested in Wilkerson, and now that he's with the Rangers, they'll pursue him with Texas......they have more pitching than they need with Burnett signed......could be more to come on this whole deal

Sooner04
12/8/2005, 04:01 PM
I'd like to cook some eggs on her hot stove.

OUatanoyo
12/8/2005, 04:54 PM

:eek:

Boomhauer
12/8/2005, 08:32 PM
Miguel Tejada wants out of Baltimore. If I am the GM of the Cubs I give them Ronny Cedeno, Felix Pie, and Rich Hill. 3 of the top 5 prospects for the Cubs. Come on Jim...GET IT DONE!

AllAboutThe'O'
12/9/2005, 12:34 AM
I'd like to cook some eggs on her hot stove.
Wonder if she'll get her own column in the Dallas Morning News or the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram? At least she would be a more interesting read than Tim Cowlishaw.

Salt City Sooner
12/9/2005, 02:10 PM
Soriano lays down the law (could get interesting) :

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2253650

AustinTXHorn
12/9/2005, 03:05 PM
Soriano lays down the law (could get interesting) :

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2253650
Man, he is a moron. It's been a little over a day and I'm already glad he's gone.

"I have the same position [on moving] as I always had when I was with Texas," Soriano told the newspaper. "I said that I'm not going to change from second base."
Yes, because you refused to switch positions and wound up hurting the Rangers defensively! Michael Young was going to be a gold glove second baseman.

"I think that if they traded for me, it's to play second base," he told the newspaper.
Stupid.

"Obviously, I have the control. Of course I'm not going to play the outfield," he told the Star-Telegram.
No you don't. You'll play where Frank Robinson tells you to play.

TopDawg
12/9/2005, 05:37 PM
I used to like Soriano more than I do now.

AllAboutThe'O'
12/10/2005, 01:29 AM
Hmmmmmmmmm.
We acquired Soriano for somebody that didn't want to play with "24 kids" and we traded Soriano because he didn't want to play "24 positions."
Yeah, I agree with the above poster who said that he likes Soriano a lot less now. I wouldn't even mind it if he rejoined the Yankees to play with the "ultimate team player," and I'm not referring to Derek Jeter.

OUstud
12/10/2005, 01:17 PM
As a huge Rangers fan, I really thought we could have gotten more for Soriano. Should be interesting to see what they do with him out in our capital, though. Anyone think that Wilkerson is just trade bait, and do we have a realistic shot at Matt Morris or any other good pitcher?

jk the sooner fan
12/10/2005, 04:15 PM
we have zero shot at Matt Morris......he continues to turn down offers to tour the Ballpark....if he's listening to increased offers by the Rangers, its for no other reason than to increase what St Louis or somebody else will pay

The Rangers would have lost in the long run had they kept Soriano

his jersey's are 50% off at the fan store in the mall down here!

AustinTXHorn
12/11/2005, 12:37 AM
Rangers had the best offer on the table for Morris and he still turned it down.

Farnsworth did the same.
Marlins did the same with Beckett.

Geez. This is getting depressing. Daniels is trying as hard as he can to get some pitching in, but nobody worth a damn wants to come.

GDC
12/11/2005, 09:19 AM
That's the stupidest thing I've ever read.

GrapevineSooner
12/11/2005, 06:00 PM
Time to tear down the Gold Club.

OUthunder
12/11/2005, 06:08 PM
Rangers getting pitching, heh.

What a pathetic franchise.

soonerjoker
12/12/2005, 10:50 AM
like, they could really afford to let kenny rogers go ???

he was about the best they had.

and their "big" trade was for 2 spare parts.

AustinTXHorn
12/12/2005, 01:44 PM
like, they could really afford to let kenny rogers go ???

he was about the best they had.

and their "big" trade was for 2 spare parts.
Wilkerson was a spare part?

Signing Kenny Rogers would have been a PR nightmare for the Rangers. Plus, the Rangers couldn't offer him arbitration. They had that in Rogers' contract. That part sucks because the Rangers won't get a draft pick for losing him. And he's 41 and not worth a 2-year deal.

Mjcpr
12/12/2005, 03:14 PM
Story on ESPN says the Rangers traded for the Phillies' Padilla.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2256742

AustinTXHorn
12/12/2005, 03:18 PM
Story on ESPN says the Rangers traded for the Phillies' Padilla.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2256742
Y'know, Padilla has a good arm. That's not bad as long as they're not giving up much. I'm really interested in who the PTBNL is.

GDC
12/12/2005, 03:20 PM
I'm not.

Salt City Sooner
12/12/2005, 05:06 PM
Matt Morris to 'frisco: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2256788

Sooner04
12/12/2005, 10:21 PM
Y'know, Padilla has a good arm. That's not bad as long as they're not giving up much. I'm really interested in who the PTBNL is.
Padilla is an untapped resource. Dude's got a great arm and phenomenal, electric stuff.

Just got to get past the wall he's hit the last year or so. To only cost a PTBNL, he's a steal.

AustinTXHorn
12/12/2005, 10:36 PM
Padilla is an untapped resource. Dude's got a great arm and phenomenal, electric stuff.

Just got to get past the wall he's hit the last year or so. To only cost a PTBNL, he's a steal.
Yeah, word is that the PTBNL is Ricardo Rodriguez. Jon Daniels is doing a damn good job so far.

Sooner04
12/12/2005, 11:02 PM
Ricardo? Yeesh, I don't know. I kinda like that kid.

Oh, and Soriano was a cancer and a half for this team. Remember the huge fit he threw in the clubhouse the day he penciled Soriano in at DH? The man went beserk!

soonerjoker
12/13/2005, 11:14 AM
you know he's great, if the phils gave up on him.

jk the sooner fan
12/13/2005, 11:17 AM
Ricardo? Yeesh, I don't know. I kinda like that kid.

mark it down, i agree with 04 on something........RR has some upside potential, i'd like to see them keep him if possible

AustinTXHorn
12/13/2005, 02:51 PM
Rodriguez is 28 and has never played a full season of major league baseball. He's about 6 years removed from being considered a prospect by Baseball America.

I don't think he's worth all that much when it comes to getting a much more accomplished pitcher with a better arm of the same age.

Boomhauer
12/13/2005, 06:49 PM
Milton Bradley to the A's for the Texas League Minor League Player of the year.

AustinTXHorn
12/13/2005, 07:07 PM
DePodesta's buddy acquiring crazy Milton Bradley. Something tells me this isn't going to work out well.

AllAboutThe'O'
12/14/2005, 01:30 AM
DePodesta's buddy acquiring crazy Milton Bradley. Something tells me this isn't going to work out well.
I give it till mid-May before Bradley has a meltdown, either in the field, in the clubhouse or cruising the streets of the Bay Area.
I thought when Bradley was traded to the Dodgers that it was his "dream situation." Guess not.

Salt City Sooner
12/14/2005, 02:06 PM
As if they needed to improve their starting pitching, the White Sox get Javy Vazquez for El Duque, Luis Vizcaino, & a prospect:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2258626

Also saw on ESPN News that Bill Mueller is headed to the Dodgers.

Scott D
12/14/2005, 03:24 PM
As if they needed to improve their starting pitching, the White Sox get Javy Vazquez for El Duque, Luis Vizcaino, & a prospect:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2258626

Also saw on ESPN News that Bill Mueller is headed to the Dodgers.

Rotation is shaping up nicely...

Buehrle, Garcia, Vazquez, Garland, McCarthy/Contreras

still not sure what they plan to do on center field whether it'll be Brian Anderson brought up or if they'll move Willie Harris out there to keep in line with Iguchi being the starting 2nd baseman.

Salt City Sooner
12/14/2005, 10:23 PM
Good day for the White Sox. They get Javy, & Powder Keg Everett is gone to Seattle (one year deal).

OklahomaTrombone
12/15/2005, 11:32 AM
This is what I hate about ESPN:

Which team should Nomar Garciaparra play for? (Better question: Why is he still worth this much effort and fascination? Anyhoo...)

If he went to the Yankees, he'd be surrounded by the most potent lineup. (But does he want to deal with the headaches of the media scrutiny?)

If he went to the Indians, he'd be a veteran presence on one of MLB's hot, rising teams. (But have the White Sox put the division out of reach already?)

If he went to the Astros, he'd be expected to produce for a team marked by sketchy offense in 2005. (But is Houston's best year behind it?)

If he went to the Dodgers, he'd join a new-look infield anchored by offseason acquisitions Rafael Furcal and former Red Sox teammate Bill Mueller. (But is L.A. the least likely to contend for the playoffs?)

Let's hope he picks New York, simply because that would maximize the story-line potential for his season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/quickie

GDC
12/15/2005, 11:42 AM
Rotation is shaping up nicely...

Buehrle, Garcia, Vazquez, Garland, McCarthy/Contreras

still not sure what they plan to do on center field whether it'll be Brian Anderson brought up or if they'll move Willie Harris out there to keep in line with Iguchi being the starting 2nd baseman.

Sportscenter asked if this could be the best pitching staff in MLB history.

Scott D
12/15/2005, 12:35 PM
It could arguably one of the best starting rotations ever, especially since out of the 6, only Contreras is older than 29. If Jenks continues to develop the way he did over the course of the season he could become another strong closer in the tradition of White Sox closers...we've got a pretty good combination of middle relievers as well.

I'm still not thrilled with giving up Chris Young to get him, however as talented as Young may be, he still swings at a ton of bad pitches.

OUthunder
12/15/2005, 12:44 PM
The AL East is no longer the beast of MLB.

I don't like the idea of Nomar in pinstripes either.

Salt City Sooner
12/16/2005, 04:21 AM
Braden Looper to the Cards on a 3 year deal. Not too shabby of a choice for a setup man at all, IMO.

Scott D
12/16/2005, 02:04 PM
Since I've been slacking in the general updates..here is one for today.

Nomar....Dodgers, Yanks, Cleveland and Astros are the general finalists, with LA and NY the suppossed front runners.

Johnny Damon ... down to Red Sox, Yankees, and the Orioles have come into the picture.

Miguel Tejada...suitors at the moment are rumored to be Boston, the White Sox, and the Cubs.

Diamondbacks, Dodgers, and Orioles all interested in signing Kenny Lofton

Reds are interested in getting one or more of Kevin Millwood, Jarrod Washburn , Jeff Weaver, or Scott Elarton.

Royals may be front runners for Jacques Jones and the Twins are looking at Mike Piazza and Frank Thomas to be the DH for the Twins.

Clemens and his agent won't talk to any teams until after Christmas.

GDC
12/16/2005, 02:12 PM
WTF are the Yankees messing with Nomar for? Captain Caveman can stay in Boston as far as I'm concerned.

But please god, don't let Boston get Tejada.

Scott D
12/16/2005, 02:13 PM
WTF are the Yankees messing with Nomar for? Captain Caveman can stay in Boston as far as I'm concerned.

Yanks should trade Cano to Baltimore for Tejada after they sign Nomar ;)

Salt City Sooner
12/16/2005, 03:20 PM
Royals sign 4 : http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2261131

Also didn't see it on this thread, but they also acquired former OU star Mark Redman, & as Scott said, they're going after Jacque Jones hard. This could be their best off-season in years. Nice to see that they've at least still got a pulse, as they've pretty much been my 2nd favorite through the years. As a kid I used to love going up & watching Dennis Leonard, Paul Splittorff, Larry Gura, Steve Busby, Danny Quiz (dude won me 10 bucks when he gave up a jack to Reggie), Brett, Otis, Cowens, McRae, Patek (all 5'4" of him, lol), memories.....

Scott D
12/16/2005, 07:41 PM
ya, scratch Elarton from that list I compiled earlier of pitchers the Reds were interested in. The Royals may yet field a better team than the Tigers this upcoming season...

on a side note, rumor is that Carlos Pena is available for the right price.

OUthunder
12/16/2005, 08:04 PM

I agree 2x.

Damon has a ****tay throwing arm and his health is in question.

OUthunder
12/16/2005, 08:11 PM
BTW, read this and you'll see why it took 3000 years for them to win a World Series. What a ****tay franchise and fanbase.

http://www.comcast.net/sports/index.jsp?cat=SPORTS&fn=/2005/12/16/285673.html

Salt City Sooner
12/17/2005, 12:35 AM
Was watching ESPN News today & they had Gammons on. He said that he thought the Yanks weren't going to do anything major this year. Said he thought they were probably going to go after Hunter in F/A next year though so they wouldn't have to give up anything player-wise. With all the power from other spots, I can live w/ Bubba in center for a year. Heck, who knows, he might surprise me.

Oh, BTW, Ron Villone to NY for a minor-leaguer. That pen is starting to look pretty decent.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2262922

OUthunder
12/17/2005, 07:15 AM
I bet you a cookie that the Twins trade Hunter to another team during the season, to avoid the Yanks from getting him.

On a side note, it would be nice if the Twins at least tried to sign one big name player to spark interest in going to see them play at the dome.

Scott D
12/18/2005, 09:30 PM
Nomar signs with the Dodgers.

soonerjoker
12/19/2005, 10:42 AM
looks like he might play 1b or outfield. he could help if he plays most of games.

Scott D
12/19/2005, 11:50 AM
I bet you a cookie that the Twins trade Hunter to another team during the season, to avoid the Yanks from getting him.

On a side note, it would be nice if the Twins at least tried to sign one big name player to spark interest in going to see them play at the dome.

Personally I keep hoping they trade Johan Santana....to a National League non contender ;)

GDC
12/19/2005, 02:47 PM

I'm just glad he didn't go to the Yankees.

AustinTXHorn
12/19/2005, 06:36 PM
Ricardo Rodriguez is the PTBNL in the Padilla trade.

OUthunder
12/19/2005, 07:32 PM

Thank ****ing God!!!

Scott D
12/20/2005, 01:26 PM
White Sox re-sign AJ Pietoolongofalastpolishname.

In irony news, the Angels traded Josh Paul to Tampa Bay.

jk the sooner fan
12/20/2005, 02:41 PM
Rangers send Adrian Gonzalez, Chris Young, and Termel Sledge to San Diego for Adam Eaton, Akinori Otsuka and a prospect to be named later

AustinTXHorn
12/20/2005, 02:55 PM
Horrid. I have no clue why they would trade Chris Young, unless they know something that we don't. Eaton and Young are similar pitchers except Young is locked up for quite awhile (Eaton has 1 year left), Young is younger, and we know CY can have success in the ballpark.

I hope J.D. knows something we don't, because this is a really bad trade if he doesn't.

On the bright side...Otsuka is a great pickup for the bullpen.

jk the sooner fan
12/20/2005, 03:03 PM
wonder if CY's late season arm problems had anything to do with this.....

AustinTXHorn
12/20/2005, 03:07 PM
wonder if CY's late season arm problems had anything to do with this.....
I hope so. I'm just hoping Daniels knows something.

Either that, or maybe Millwood agreed to sign with the Rangers only if they traded Young. :eddie:

Salt City Sooner
12/20/2005, 03:16 PM
& Soriano's still being a hardarse:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2266303

Scott D
12/20/2005, 04:31 PM
& Soriano's still being a pain in the arse:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2266303

fixed it

OklahomaTrombone
12/20/2005, 04:38 PM
meh

Mjcpr
12/20/2005, 06:04 PM
Rangers/Padres deal:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2266394

Sooner04
12/20/2005, 06:10 PM
This is an absolute steal for San Diego, but it could work out well for Texas. Here's the problem I have:

1. Eaton is a flyball pitcher. Ameriquest is Carnation Instant Death for guys like him. Throw in the fact that he's very fragile mentally (he's performed awful in big games the last two years) and the first jet stream homer he gives up in Arlington might send him straight to the ****pile. Electric stuff, but you're going to have to work on his intestinal fortitude.

2. Otsuka has as good of a slider as I've ever seen. The key will be for Orel, if he's still Buck's pitching coach, to get back the control on his fastball. If he's rifling that thing in on the corners at 93, then he's deadly. Last year, though, he had a tendency to fall behind a lot of hitters because he couldn't place the fastball as well as he did in '04. He's still one of my favorites, and I'm sorry to see him go.

AustinTXHorn
12/20/2005, 06:28 PM
This is an absolute steal for San Diego, but it could work out well for Texas. Here's the problem I have:

1. Eaton is a flyball pitcher. Ameriquest is Carnation Instant Death for guys like him. Throw in the fact that he's very fragile mentally (he's performed awful in big games the last two years) and the first jet stream homer he gives up in Arlington might send him straight to the ****pile. Electric stuff, but you're going to have to work on his intestinal fortitude.

2. Otsuka has as good of a slider as I've ever seen. The key will be for Orel, if he's still Buck's pitching coach, to get back the control on his fastball. If he's rifling that thing in on the corners at 93, then he's deadly. Last year, though, he had a tendency to fall behind a lot of hitters because he couldn't place the fastball as well as he did in '04. He's still one of my favorites, and I'm sorry to see him go.
Orel's not the PC anymore, that's Mark Connor, the former bullpen coach.

Chris Young is going to be a stud in San Diego.

I've always liked Otsuka and liked watching him pitch in San Diego, so I'm glad the Rangers have him.

mrowl
12/20/2005, 09:15 PM
I hope J.D. knows something we don't, because this is a really bad trade if he doesn't.

Yes, he knows that John Hart is still running this team. :mad:

I F'ing HATE this trade. Chris Young did well at the Ballpark, he is young, and has some great improvement ahead. Him pitching in San Diego is going to make him an EXCELLENT pitcher.

F you Hicks, my ticket money is gone. I don't care if you get millwood, nolan ryan, and roger clemons.

AustinTXHorn
12/20/2005, 09:30 PM
F you Hicks, my ticket money is gone. I don't care if you get millwood, nolan ryan, and roger clemons.
You would honestly still hate Hicks if he brought in a rotation of Clemens, Millwood, Eaton, Padilla, and Loe?

For some reason, that's hard to buy...

Mjcpr
12/20/2005, 10:51 PM
Cubs sign Jacque Jones

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2266855

Sounds like he'll fit right in...:D

When he slumps, Jones tends to swing at virtually anything near the dish early in the count. He will get himself in a hole and his at-bats will last a matter of seconds.

AustinTXHorn
12/20/2005, 10:59 PM
Damon's a Yankee

CBS4's Dan Roche and Newsday are reporting that Johnny Damon has agreed to a four-year, $52 million deal with the Yankees.
http://cbs4boston.com/sports/local_story_354222357.html

Salt City Sooner
12/20/2005, 11:27 PM
Offensively, I like it. Defensively, the same problem (lollipop arm) is still there, although he does cover more ground than Bernie. I'd almost rather that they'd have stayed put w/ Crosby for a year & gone after Hunter next year.

Oh, & Thunder, I can't spek you right now, but to answer your question, I'd take Rocket back. He may be a bit on the quirky side to say the least, but the fact is the guy can still bring it.

jk the sooner fan
12/20/2005, 11:38 PM
i dont hate this trade.........we basically gave up one pitcher to get 2.....adrian gonzales is a non-factor because he never gets any playing time.....we get a very good set up guy, and a starting pitcher who has an equal ground ball to fly ball ratio.....

if we can get millwood to go along with this, i dont have a problem with it whatsoever

Salt City Sooner
12/20/2005, 11:39 PM
Yanks also get Octavio Dotel.

AllAboutThe'O'
12/21/2005, 02:41 AM
i dont hate this trade.........we basically gave up one pitcher to get 2.....adrian gonzales is a non-factor because he never gets any playing time.....we get a very good set up guy, and a starting pitcher who has an equal ground ball to fly ball ratio.....

if we can get millwood to go along with this, i dont have a problem with it whatsoever
Agreed, I will like this trade a lot more if we can sign Millwood.
Hate to see Chris Young go, I envisioned him as someone who had the potential to be the face of the Ranger franchise. I got his autograph from him last year at a sports card convention in Arlington (Bill Parcells, Kevin Mench and others were there, too) and he seemed to be a real nice fellow who was glad to get the chance to pitch for the team he grew up following. Yeah, he's going to do real fine in San Diego and I wish him the best.
Adrian Gonzalez may be a non-factor now, but what happens if we don't re-sign Teixeira?

AustinTXHorn
12/21/2005, 03:21 AM
Agreed, I will like this trade a lot more if we can sign Millwood.
Hate to see Chris Young go, I envisioned him as someone who had the potential to be the face of the Ranger franchise. I got his autograph from him last year at a sports card convention in Arlington (Bill Parcells, Kevin Mench and others were there, too) and he seemed to be a real nice fellow who was glad to get the chance to pitch for the team he grew up following. Yeah, he's going to do real fine in San Diego and I wish him the best.
Adrian Gonzalez may be a non-factor now, but what happens if we don't re-sign Teixeira?
Maybe move Botts back to first?

This pretty much means, IMO, that they are going to go all out to sign Teixeira long term. There aren't any first base prospects in the organization.

jk the sooner fan
12/21/2005, 07:24 AM
yeah i think they go after Tex pretty hard, they will try and avoid arbitration but i think they get him resigned

there's alot of talk right now about "the gold club" and those damn windows which create the jet stream........if they take those out, then TBIA becomes a pitching friendly park again like it was pre-2000

Sledge was a throwaway because with 6 outfielders, not likely he would have seen any playing time anyway.....

i've not read one article yet where this is a bad trade for the Rangers

OUthunder
12/21/2005, 08:11 AM
Yanks get Damon.

Kinda have mixed feelers about that one.

Boomhauer
12/21/2005, 09:26 AM
This Jones deal doesn't make sense to me! Hendry is a failure. Let's look at the stats for Jock Jones (new RF) and Burny Burnitz (last year RF):

GAMES: Jones...142 Burnitz....160

AVERAGE: Jones .249 Burnitz .258

HOMERS: Jones 23 Burnitz 24

RBI's: Jones 73 Burnitz 87

Walks: Jones 51 Burnitz 57

STRIKE OUTS: Jones 120 Burnitz 109

Stolen Bases: Jones 13 Burnitz 5

This sounds like another KKKKKorey Patterson to me. Jones has said that his declining average the last two years is killing him personally. Sounds like Patterson again. Then tell me something Jock...why don't you go down to one of them dominican leagues to get yourself right? THANKS HENDRY! The Sox GM, Williams, has outdone you again.

GDC
12/21/2005, 12:22 PM
Yanks get Damon.

Kinda have mixed feelers about that one.

He's going to have to get a shave and a haircut.

Salt City Sooner
12/21/2005, 12:34 PM
Nothing he didn't have in KC. I about dropped my teeth when I first saw him in that shag do because he was always so clean cut before he went to the Sox.

Salt City Sooner
12/21/2005, 01:12 PM
Interesting to say the least...Sidney Ponson to the Cardinals:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2267339

mrowl
12/21/2005, 06:28 PM
You would honestly still hate Hicks if he brought in a rotation of Clemens, Millwood, Eaton, Padilla, and Loe?

For some reason, that's hard to buy...

yep.

And do you really think that could happen?

Even if the windows are taken out of the gold club, the jet stream affect would still be there, the solution is ripping the club out, or changing how the wind comes in (wind screens)

AustinTXHorn
12/21/2005, 07:01 PM
yep.

And do you really think that could happen?
No, but I'm not the one that said "I don't care if they get..."

mrowl
12/21/2005, 07:24 PM
No, but I'm not the one that said "I don't care if they get..."

correct. All of the so called players that they "almost got" this year is just Hicks showing to the fans that he tried (but not really).

I know the offseason is far from being over. But, the names on that free agent list sure is getting shorter.

AustinTXHorn
12/21/2005, 08:01 PM
correct. All of the so called players that they "almost got" this year is just Hicks showing to the fans that he tried (but not really).
That's crazy.

The Rangers had the best offer on the table for Matt Morris, but he signed elsewhere.
The Rangers had the best offer on the table for Kyle Farnsworth, but he signed elsewhere.
The Rangers had the best offer on the table to the Marlins for Josh Beckett, but they took the Red Sox deal because they didn't want to pay Blalock's salary.

mrowl
12/21/2005, 08:09 PM
That's crazy.

The Rangers had the best offer on the table for Matt Morris, but he signed elsewhere.
The Rangers had the best offer on the table for Kyle Farnsworth, but he signed elsewhere.
The Rangers had the best offer on the table to the Marlins for Josh Beckett, but they took the Red Sox deal because they didn't want to pay Blalock's salary.

well, I didn't see anywhere that the Rangers offered more money to any of those guys. And the Rangers can say they did, but how do you really know?

And then it goes back to the launching pad that is the Ballpark in Arlington.

GDC
12/21/2005, 08:16 PM
Seems pretty simple to me, Texas obviously sucks.

meaning the baseball team, of course

AustinTXHorn
12/21/2005, 08:20 PM
well, I didn't see anywhere that the Rangers offered more money to any of those guys. And the Rangers can say they did, but how do you really know?

And then it goes back to the launching pad that is the Ballpark in Arlington.
Morris: http://fantasybaseball.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_previousnews.asp?sport=MLB&leaguenum=&id=5784
Dec. 10

Matt Morris has rejected the Rangers' three-year, $25 million offer, and intends to expected to sign with a National League team.
Dec. 11

The Giants and right-hander Matt Morris are close to a three-year deal worth about $25 million, FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports.
Add in the fact that Texas has no state income tax, and the Rangers' offer was better than the Giants when he told the Rangers no. The deal he signed with the Giants is 3-$24 million guaranteed before option.

Farnsworth: http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/spt/baseball/rangers/stories/120205dnsporangshort.2bdade3f.html

The Rangers' deal is believed to be worth less per year than the Yankees, but the deal also includes a fourth-year option that could be locked in based on appearances. The Rangers are are also hoping to capitalize on the lack of state income tax in Texas and the less-expensive cost of living.

And we all know about Beckett already.

Boomhauer
12/22/2005, 09:45 AM
I don't look for this to happen but it is quite interesting:

Ken Rosenthal from Fox Sports is reporting that the Orioles and Cubs are talking trade. The Orioles would send Miguel Tijada to the Cubs for Pitcher Mark Prior. He said that the Cubs want Pitcher Brinard included in the dealio but the Orioles are hesitant.

I don't know what to think of this. I have ALWAYS believed that pitching wins championships! (THe Cubs have it if they can ever stay healthy!) The Cubs have an up in coming shortstop by the name of Ronny Cedeno. He is currently hitting .360 in the dominican league right now. BUT at the same time...Prior's contract, I believe, is up at the end of the year and it will take a boat load of money to keep him. Guess we will wait and see.

Scott D
12/22/2005, 01:05 PM
I've heard a variant of that rumor Boomhauer except it also involved another player from the Cubs, I think it was a prospect but I'm not sure. Cubs also looking to deal Corey Patterson (waits for cheering from Cub fans to subside).

Everyone's focusing on the Red Sox going after the Seattle Center Fielder, however keep an eye on a deal that might be laying in the reeds of them trading for Joey Gaithwright from Tampa.

Boomhauer
12/22/2005, 08:02 PM
I've heard a variant of that rumor Boomhauer except it also involved another player from the Cubs, I think it was a prospect but I'm not sure. Cubs also looking to deal Corey Patterson (waits for cheering from Cub fans to subside).

Everyone's focusing on the Red Sox going after the Seattle Center Fielder, however keep an eye on a deal that might be laying in the reeds of them trading for Joey Gaithwright from Tampa.

GET RID OF KKKKKKKKKKKKKOREY PATTERSON!!!!!

Boomhauer
12/23/2005, 01:53 PM
I have been wrong before and probably will be again...but for some reason I think this will happen.

Cubs get:
Miguel Tejada
Eric Bedard

Orioles get:
Mark Prior
Rich Hill
KKKKKorey Patterson

Salt City Sooner
12/23/2005, 04:13 PM
Flaherty to Boston on a 1 year deal.

GDC
12/23/2005, 07:29 PM
Flaherty to Boston on a 1 year deal.

Hmm, the unit's personal catcher, guess he's not happy.

What was funny was Damon characterizing Boston fans' reaction to him next season as "mixed".

Salt City Sooner
12/24/2005, 12:55 AM
The Yanks got Stinnett, who was Unit's catcher in Arizona. Shouldn't be a big deal.

AustinTXHorn
12/24/2005, 01:39 AM
Rangers offer a 4-year deal to Millwood. Red Sox follow shortly after.

Then Boras says he wants 6 years. But there's no way in hell anybody is giving Millwood six years.

colleyvillesooner
12/24/2005, 02:36 AM
I think he's gonna be a Red Sox. I want him here though. Bad.

GrapevineSooner
12/24/2005, 11:11 AM
As much as I wouldn't mind him pitching for the Red Sox, I want him in Texas if nothing more than because Jon Daniels tried so hard to get Josh Beckett and Matt Morris in here and came up empty.

AustinTXHorn
12/26/2005, 05:45 PM
Jon Daniels just got us Ranger fans a great Christmas present in Kevin Millwood.

Thank you J.D.

jk the sooner fan
12/26/2005, 06:04 PM
link?

do not toy with me horn.......are you serious?

AustinTXHorn
12/26/2005, 06:29 PM
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/13489985.htm

Now, I don't think the Rangers will get Clemens. BUT...this definitely can't hurt it. C'mon Tom, go out and get the Horn.

jk the sooner fan
12/26/2005, 08:22 PM
i dont think the Rocket is in the cards for the Rangers.......but great news with the millwood signing

i doubt JD is done with trades, and such.....he still has Mench or Nix which he can deal

AustinTXHorn
12/26/2005, 08:23 PM
i dont think the Rocket is in the cards for the Rangers.......but great news with the millwood signing
Well, Hicks was just on the Ticket talking about it and he did say that the Rangers have a lot of interest in him and he wants to bring him here. Didn't see to care about what it would cost. Also said that they first need to find out if he's pitching next year. Hopefully he does.

jk the sooner fan
12/26/2005, 08:29 PM
Hicks has been interested in Clemens since the beginning of time.....unfortunately its not been a mutual interest

you never know though.....he'll have to throw in some serious perks to make it happen

OklahomaTrombone
12/26/2005, 09:07 PM
Let him only have to be there the day he pitches

Only has to pitch on the road against AL West opponents and other select opponents.

Hotel and Airfare for the wife and kids paid for on road trips.

What else?

Salt City Sooner
12/27/2005, 02:33 AM
They're saying on ESPN News that the Jays got Glaus. I'm no fan of theirs by any means, but IMO, they have to be considered the most improved team so far.

soonerjoker
12/27/2005, 09:45 AM
rangers finally made a really good move. !!!! IMHO

now, beer goes up another dollar.

Beef
12/27/2005, 10:35 AM
Well, Hicks was just on the Ticket talking about it and he did say that the Rangers have a lot of interest in him and he wants to bring him here. Didn't see to care about what it would cost. Also said that they first need to find out if he's pitching next year. Hopefully he does.
Do you think Clemens wants to go out with the inflated ERA he would have pitching in the Ballpark? I'm not saying Clemens is about the stats, but he has turned the Rangers down many times before. I just don't see it happening.

mrowl
12/27/2005, 11:30 AM
Jon Daniels just got us Ranger fans a great Christmas present in Kevin Millwood.

Thank you J.D.

Good signing... I can't believe it actually happened. Credit to JD and Hicks. The rotation now looks completely different (and better).

AustinTXHorn
12/27/2005, 01:33 PM
Do you think Clemens wants to go out with the inflated ERA he would have pitching in the Ballpark? I'm not saying Clemens is about the stats, but he has turned the Rangers down many times before. I just don't see it happening.
If Hicks gives him the right situation and Clemens believes that the Rangers can win this year, I think he definitely would.

Scott D
12/27/2005, 01:42 PM
The award for 'Most Amusing Trade Rumor' this season goes to this doozy.

On Monday, the rumor got hotter yet. The latest version was a three-team deal that had Prior and pitcher Barry Zito headed to Crabtown, pitcher Erik Bedard bound for the Oakland A's and Miguel Tejada en route to the North Side. If I'm the Cubs, I say, 'Where do we sign?'"

Boomhauer
12/28/2005, 02:45 PM
The award for 'Most Amusing Trade Rumor' this season goes to this doozy.

Trade is dead. According to the Chicago Sun Times the deal was never on the table.

So far this offseason we have signed Juan Pierre, Jock Jones, two relievers and.......JOHN MABRY!!!!! I think that we will get about 85 wins and miss the playoffs again. Probably finish 3rd in the division.

Scott D
12/28/2005, 06:29 PM
Trade is dead. According to the Chicago Sun Times the deal was never on the table.

So far this offseason we have signed Juan Pierre, Jock Jones, two relievers and.......JOHN MABRY!!!!! I think that we will get about 85 wins and miss the playoffs again. Probably finish 3rd in the division.

ironically Tejada to the right side of Chicago rumors are heating up with Jon Garland a possibility to be heading the other direction.

Boomhauer
12/29/2005, 11:07 AM
ironically Tejada to the right side of Chicago rumors are heating up with Jon Garland a possibility to be heading the other direction.

Isn't that ironic! Man I cannot stand our GM. He is about worthless. Now there are strong rumors that we are about to sign Preston Wilson. I am sure glad that we go after these 3rd tier players!!!! With the exception of Pierre. HEY HENDRY...GO HAVE ANOTHER DOUGHNUT!!!!!!!!

jk the sooner fan
12/29/2005, 11:17 AM
AL East is going to be a tough race next year.....Toronto is much improved, but the Spankee's spent enough money to put together a very nice bullpen.....Boston and Baltimore will compete as well

Scott D
12/29/2005, 11:35 AM
And heeeere we go....12/28 rumormill

The Sox, who initially offered Manny Ramírez for Tejada straight up, recently offered Ramírez and righthander Matt Clement, according to the source. However, three stumbling blocks stand between the teams and a deal.

An East Coast source said the Mariners are offering pitcher Gil Meche as well as center fielder Jeremy Reed, in an effort to obtain one of Boston's prized pitching prospects, Jon Lester (a Puyallup native) or Jonathan Papelbon, in a trade.

Jose Contreras is the only one of six potential starters who doesn't have a contract with the Sox beyond the 2006 season. While he is expected to be with the club in the upcoming season, the possibility remains that he could be traded if the Sox receive a flattering offer.

Garland's signing leaves only Contreras among White Sox starting pitchers unsigned through 2007, meaning he might be used as trade bait for someone like Baltimore's Miguel Tejada, a situation that has reversed itself completely from 10 days ago

The Diamondbacks came closer to filling their center field vacancy as they closed in Wednesday on free agent Eric Byrnes. Byrnes, who agreed to what is believed to be a one-year deal worth about $2.2 million, will undergo a physical examination today in Phoenix.

However, they were interested in Shea Hillenbrand when the Jays, the Milwaukee Brewers and the Twins talked about a three-way deal to bring Overbay to Toronto at the winter meetings? Could that happen?

Though the Royals would have liked to re-sign Brian Anderson and have him possibly join the team midseason when he recovers from elbow surgery, the 33-year-old left-hander is instead expected to sign with Texas.

jk the sooner fan
12/29/2005, 11:37 AM
texas is good at signing old pitchers with elbow problems.......we've got it down to an art

Salt City Sooner
12/29/2005, 02:04 PM
Aggie Burnitz to Baltimore: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2273671

Ramon Ortiz to the Nats: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2274196

Miguel Cairo re-joins the Yanks: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2273542

Joe Randa close to signing w/ the Bucs: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2274320

Boomhauer
1/3/2006, 12:00 PM
The trade rumor that won't die:

"The Cubs and Orioles didn't negotiate a deal for Tejada over the holiday weekend, but that should change in the next couple days. The Cubs have made it clear that they wouldn't trade Mark Prior in a one-for-one deal for Tejada, but they would be willing to make Prior part of a package as long as they get a starting pitcher such as Erik Bedard in the swap."
-- Chicago Sun-Times

Salt City Sooner
1/3/2006, 03:21 PM
Burnitz pulls the 'ol switcheroo:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2278782

Mjcpr
1/10/2006, 02:11 PM
Read in the Transactions section of the paper today that the Cubs traded Corey Patterson to Baltimore for SS Nate Spears and LHP Carlos Perez, both minor leaguers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2285777

Mjcpr
1/11/2006, 08:31 AM
Read in the Transactions section of the paper today that the Cubs traded Corey Patterson to Baltimore for SS Nate Spears and LHP Carlos Perez, both minor leaguers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2285777

I know, I could hardly believe it either.

:O

GDC
1/11/2006, 10:23 AM
I can't believe the Hawk isn't getting enough HOF love, Goose either for that matter.

Salt City Sooner
1/11/2006, 11:36 AM
Definitely. Add Bert Blyleven to that list as well, IMO.

Salt City Sooner
1/15/2006, 03:01 AM
Dodgers get Baez & Carter from Tampa for 2 prospects:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2292564

OklahomaTrombone
1/17/2006, 11:34 AM
Teixeira signs 2 year contract worth 15.4 million

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2295205

So he's locked up through 2008 now.

AllAboutThe'O'
1/18/2006, 02:15 AM
. close to a No ***** Tuesday violation
No, as long as we mention the Rangers and not T****, we're fine.

jk the sooner fan
1/18/2006, 10:06 AM
Teixeira signs 2 year contract worth 15.4 million

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2295205

So he's locked up through 2008 now.

best thing the Rangers did all off season, now we'll see in 2 years if they give him the payday i thnk he's going to earn/deserve

soonerjoker
1/18/2006, 10:27 AM
don't worry, hicks invented the "25 mil" contract.

jk the sooner fan
1/23/2006, 04:31 PM
Tom Hicks sent a letter to Roger Clemens agent today, outlining the reasons why he should pitch for the Rangers next season......included in the letter were some financial terms.......

please God, let it be so

Boomhauer
1/23/2006, 08:14 PM
Cubs sign Wade Miller to a 1 year/1 million dollar contract. I like the signing! A guy with a good upside for dirt cheap. Had good years until arm problems last year. Should be ready to pitch in May.

GDC
1/24/2006, 08:49 AM
Definitely. Add Bert Blyleven to that list as well, IMO.

Nice article, Goose says today's players are pussies, except Jete and Sheff.

Outspoken Gossage set for benefit
By LYNN JACOBSEN World Sports Writer
1/24/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

One of the biggest pet peeves of former baseball players is being compared to modern-day players.

Closer Rich "Goose" Gossage is no different in that regard.

Nothing gets the former Yankee great's blood boiling than comparing him to current New York closer Mariano Rivera, or Barry Bonds to Hank Aaron.

"How can they compare me to Mariano?" asked Gossage, who will be in Tulsa on Sunday for the John A. Ferguson Diamond Dinner, which benefits the ORU baseball program. "I used to say I was brought into situations God couldn't have gotten out of because I could strike people out. It was power against power. I wish the young writers would stop comparing us to them and compare them to us."

"And how can anyone compare Barry Bonds to Hank Aaron? The first two pitches Hank Aaron had to worry about were the two coming at his head. Barry goes up there every day taking batting practice."

Tulsa Drillers executive vice president and general manager Chuck Lamson agrees somewhat with Gossage.

"It is hard to compare players from different eras," he said. "There are guys with statistics who are in (the Hall of Fame), whose statistics are not as glowing as some who are not in there.

"Perception is reality.

Sandy Koufax's career numbers are maybe not on par with Greg Maddux. But there's no doubt in people's minds that if Sandy Koufax hadn't gotten hurt early, he would have been one of the greatest all-time and people recognized that and he is there.

"Barry Bonds never had to face Bob Gibson. With Barry's penchant for sitting on the plate, back in Gibson's day he would move them off or hit them to get them off. Then there's the issue of guys wearing armor so that in case they do get hit, they won't miss games."

A 22-year major league veteran, Gossage recorded 310 saves and compiled a 124-107 record with nine different teams from 1972-94. He went to three World Series, two with the Yankees and one with San Diego, and pitched in nine All-Star games.

Gossage finished third in the voting for the Cy Young in 1980 and finished in the Top 10 four other times. He holds the single-season National League strikeout record for a reliever with 151 in 1977.

Named the Sporting News Fireman of the Year in 1975 and 1978, Gossage owns a lifetime earned run average of 3.01 with 1,500 strikeouts in 1,800 innings.

Does he deserve to be in the Hall of Fame? His numbers speak highly of the Colorado native. But despite impressive stats, he didn't get the required 75 percent vote needed to get in on the most recent ballot.

Months after the vote, Gossage remains outspoken on the issue.

"So many of these young executives have lost touch with the game," he said. "It's no longer strictly on talent. You see very few multidimensional players in the big leagues today. A lot of them are one-tool guys. Look at (Boston's) Manny Ramirez. He drives in 150 runs but his (lack of) defense may allow 50. Today's writers reward players simply because they can hit."

Gossage doesn't like how the game has changed.

"I have seen the total evolution of the bullpen from where it was when I came in to where it is today," he said. "When I started, the bullpen was like a junk pile for pitchers who couldn't start. It's evolved into the specialty it is today.

"I remember coming up with Chicago (White Sox) and being told I was going to the bullpen. It wasn't what I wanted, but it was the major leagues. I would have mopped the floors to get in."

Today's closers are one-inning wonders, he said.

"It's an easy position compared to what we used to do," he said. "We usually pitched three or more innings and would be lost to the team for two to three days. And they were grueling outs. To have a guy like Rivera available every night is unbelievable. They are so dominant in the role because it is easier. Thirty saves was unbelievable when I pitched because you came into a lot of games where the score was tied or you were behind."

He also voiced displeasure at how the game has become about numbers.

"It isn't only in relievers, it's every other statistic also," he said. "We're seeing 100-year records that were shattered. It's not because the players are that much greater, the game has changed so much.

"I only had 310 saves, but they were grueling saves. I'd be interested in seeing how many one-run, three-inning saves they would have if they pitched today like we did. The setup guy has more problems than the reliever in today's game."

Gossage also believes that once pitchers such as Roger Clemens, Greg Maddux, Randy Johnson and Tom Glavine enter the Hall of Fame, there might not be another starter voted in.

"Six innings used to be a quality start, but today's pitchers don't pitch past five innings a lot of times," he said. "When I broke in, if you could only go six innings, you were sent to the bullpen."

Gossage said he has seen few current players who could have played in his era. Two exceptions are current Yankees Derek Jeter and Garry Sheffield.

"Jeter could play in any era," Gossage said. "Sheffield is a great hitter, but he also is a good defender. He doesn't get credit for his defense."

Other changes he has seen include a limited strike zone.

"The game is soft," he said. "Pitchers can't go inside or they will be thrown out of the game. Everything is for the hitter. It's a home run derby every night.

Getting into the Hall of Fame won't complete his career.

"I don't know if I will ever get in," he said. "I was hoping that (Bruce) Sutter and I would go in together. But there are a lot of guys who deserve to go in. Guys like Jim Rice, Bobby Bonds, Tommy John, Sparky Lyle and Lee Smith. Sparky won the Cy Young in 1977 and he isn't in.

"They put Dennis Eckersley in and there are other guys who deserved it before him. Don't get me wrong, he's a great pitcher and he deserves the honor, but he had to resurrect his career. He was almost out of baseball. He's probably the first guy of the one-inning save variety. But I'm happy for him and Bruce."

Even without the Hall of Fame, Gossage has a closet full of memories.

"All I ever wanted to do was put on a big league uniform one time," he said. "And that turned into 22 years. I still have to pinch myself. The whole big league experience, I will take to my grave.

"Fans are what the game is all about. I don't want to take anything away from what it meant to me. Baseball is still a great game, it's just a different game."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lynn Jacobsen 581-8461
[email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John A. Ferguson Diamond Dinner
When: Sunday, 6:30 p.m.

Where: Marriott Tulsa Southern Hills Silent auction from 5-6 p.m. followed by VIP Reception at 6 p.m.

To reserve a table or individual seats, call 495-7213

MiccoMacey
1/24/2006, 03:19 PM
01/23/2006 3:03 PM ET
The Cincinnati Reds today announced that general manager Dan O'Brien will be replaced.

01/19/2006 6:15 PM ET
Reds outright RHP Josh Hancock
RHP Josh Hancock today cleared waivers, was outrighted to Class AAA Louisville and was invited to Major League spring training camp.

01/08/2006 9:44 PM ET
Reds ink Aurilia to one-year deal
The Cincinnati Reds on Sunday signed IF Rich Aurilia to a 1-year contract through the 2006 season with a mutual option for 2007.

That's it so far for the next World Champions. :D

Salt City Sooner
1/25/2006, 06:19 PM
Frank Thomas to the A's on a 1 year deal.

Scott D
1/27/2006, 09:41 AM
after reading that article Goose wonders why he hasn't been voted in? It's no secret that the writers will carry a grudge forever.

Salt City Sooner
2/7/2006, 01:02 PM
The Jays strike again: Bengie Molina to Toronto on 1 year deal w/ an option for a 2nd, per ESPN News.

GDC
2/14/2006, 10:36 PM
Me and royalfan are getting stoked for some baseball.:)