PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend some good headphones for an iPod?

GDC
11/14/2005, 09:20 PM
I want something to bring out the lower end, the ones that came with it succs succs succs

achiro
11/14/2005, 10:48 PM
Hmm, did you try a search? :D

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53707

SoonerWood
11/14/2005, 11:30 PM
Sennheiser, Shure, or Etymotic - accept nothing else.

ou4me
11/15/2005, 01:06 AM
These (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=MDREX71SL&Dept=audio&CategoryName=pa_Headphones_FontopiaEarbud) are as good as any out there to 99.9% of the ears in the world. Extremely comfortable, incredible sound and priced from 30-50 bucks instead of the 200-400 of the Shures and Etymotics of the world.

Unless you have an incredibly discerning ear, save yourself some cash and get these.

Oh, and they are available in black and white, for iPod people and non-pod people.

SoonerWood
11/15/2005, 10:11 AM
These (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=MDREX71SL&Dept=audio&CategoryName=pa_Headphones_FontopiaEarbud) are as good as any out there to 99.9% of the ears in the world. Extremely comfortable, incredible sound and priced from 30-50 bucks instead of the 200-400 of the Shures and Etymotics of the world.

Unless you have an incredibly discerning ear, save yourself some cash and get these.

You might be surprised at how many people have a discerning ear and don't know it. I'd be ****ed if I had gone my whole life thinking my ears weren't good enough for better gear. But my cousin convinced me to go listen to some better gear than the Sony/Bose stuff I was used to. I went and listened to stuff outside the superbox stores and realized pretty much all they sell is crap. I was just used to listening to it.

Another thing I noticed, it isn't all about having a discerning ear. Ear fatigue also plays a role. Yeah Sony may sound fine, but after a while your ears take a beating and soon you're removing the earplugs or turning off the music to let your ears relax a little.

Sorry for the rant, but I can't stress enough at how many people think spending a bit more on good gear isn't worth it. Especially when the price margin is as small as it is in earphones. I'm not one of those guys that will tell you that using a green sharpie on the edge of your CD's or 'demagnetizing' the CD will make a huge difference in sound quality, (It won't) but I will say that there is a quite an appreciable increase in sound quality in the first few brackets of audio gear - as long as your buying the right stuff. You can get into the Shure e2c's for around $100 - well worth it IMO. It's like upgrading your car's horsepower - the first 50-100 horsepower are significantly cheaper than the last 5 horsepower.

Best thing you can do is go listen, then decide. You can thank me later.

49r
11/15/2005, 10:24 AM
I use e2c's

Wouldn't go with anything less.

GDC
11/15/2005, 09:33 PM
Thanks

GDC
11/16/2005, 09:06 PM
I use e2c's

Wouldn't go with anything less.

That's what I'm getting.

49r
11/17/2005, 11:52 AM
That's what I'm getting.

You won't be disappointed.

achiro
3/29/2006, 04:13 PM
That's what I'm getting.
So how are they?

GDC
3/30/2006, 09:11 AM
excellent

mrowl
3/30/2006, 09:23 AM
hmmm... I am now shopping for some also.

I am use to the ipod earbuds, and I think they are comfortable, are the e2c's the same fit or better?

GDC
3/30/2006, 10:02 AM
They are adjustable, and I worked with mine until they fit perfectly.

mrowl
3/30/2006, 10:06 AM
they go deeper in the ear right? did that bother you?

GDC
3/30/2006, 10:15 AM
they go deeper in the ear right? did that bother you?

I didn't even notice that, but they come with a variety of plugs in different shapes and sizes.

sooneron
3/30/2006, 10:18 AM
I have the E2c's as well, their bass is really good. I was told that it was better than the 3's, fwiw. I had the sonys that were listed above- one of the buds cut out on me. I thought I had gone deaf in one ear!

mrowl
3/30/2006, 10:26 AM
I am also thinking about the etymotic ER-6i

http://www.headphone.com/productphotos/small/0020100007_277.jpg

anyone have these?

TheHumanAlphabet
3/30/2006, 10:50 AM
Bose II Noise Canceling Headphones!

sooneron
3/30/2006, 11:05 AM
I don't like what Bose does with distortion. Their systems seem to be all about clarity and the distortion of certain good old Rock gets lost. Plus, they're frigging huge. I guess they're good for home use, but every time I see someone on the train whip them out I giggle. They look like they should have an antenna coming out!

mrowl
3/30/2006, 11:06 AM

they don't travel so well.

All of the headphones we are discussing have about 20db-30db of noise reduction anyways...

Kels
3/30/2006, 11:13 AM
I researched the heck out of this myself. For the money, the E2C's are the best going right now.

You can get a set for $70 new if you look around a bit. The foam tips create the best sound seal.

49r
3/30/2006, 11:20 AM
I just got a pair of the Shure e3c's a couple of weeks ago, so now I have the e2c's AND the e3c's.

They're both great, the sound quality is amazing. Nice thing about the e3c's is they are a lot smaller, so they are good if you are doing a lot of moving around....(I use them on my iPod, which is used primarily in the gym). e2c's are at work.

Best part about these earphones is the foam really reduces ambient sounds (they call them "sound isolating" headphones) dramatically, almost to the level of the Bose noise cancelling headphones. The primary benefit to having the foam tips is because ambient noise is reduced, you can enjoy your music at much lower volume levels, and this is a lot better for your hearing than lesser earphones.

SoonerWood
3/30/2006, 11:24 AM
Anything with 'Bose' on it succs

49r
3/30/2006, 11:34 AM
Anything with 'Bose' on it succs

You sir, are correct!

TheHumanAlphabet
3/30/2006, 09:10 PM
they don't travel so well.

All of the headphones we are discussing have about 20db-30db of noise reduction anyways...

I don't travel anywhere without mine. They make the International hops comfortable and less tiring. They significantly reduce cabin noise and block out crying babies...

I have had breakage, but only when I have been in my office. They replaced them directly.

I don't think Bose sucks...

achiro
5/8/2006, 11:33 AM
I just got a pair of the Shure e3c's a couple of weeks ago, so now I have the e2c's AND the e3c's.

They're both great, the sound quality is amazing. Nice thing about the e3c's is they are a lot smaller, so they are good if you are doing a lot of moving around....(I use them on my iPod, which is used primarily in the gym). e2c's are at work.

Best part about these earphones is the foam really reduces ambient sounds (they call them "sound isolating" headphones) dramatically, almost to the level of the Bose noise cancelling headphones. The primary benefit to having the foam tips is because ambient noise is reduced, you can enjoy your music at much lower volume levels, and this is a lot better for your hearing than lesser earphones.
So if you were recommending an either or thing, which ones would you say?

GottaHavePride
5/8/2006, 01:04 PM

At that point it's probably more of a "do you want to spend $100 or $200 on your earphones?" consideration. If I ever have money again I might go for the e2c's. Prospects not looking real great on that count, though. ;)

49r
5/8/2006, 01:36 PM

e3c's

but really, they both are fantastic. The e2c's are bulkier...and cheaper.

achiro
5/8/2006, 01:47 PM
At that point it's probably more of a "do you want to spend $100 or $200 on your earphones?" consideration. If I ever have money again I might go for the e2c's. Prospects not looking real great on that count, though. ;)
Actually on Amazon the E2c's are $69 and the E3c's are $139
Even the Etymotic ER6i have gone down to $95 or so.

A LOT cheaper than they sell them for at the Apple store at Penn Square Mall.

GottaHavePride
5/8/2006, 01:51 PM
Actually on Amazon the E2c's are $69 and the E3c's are $139
Even the Etymotic ER6i have gone down to $95 or so.

A LOT cheaper than they sell them for at the Apple store at Penn Square Mall.

Hey, not bad.

Beef
5/8/2006, 01:51 PM
I bought the E2c's and can't get any of the tips to fit comfortably in my ear.

achiro
5/8/2006, 01:57 PM
I bought the E2c's and can't get any of the tips to fit comfortably in my ear.
Looking at your avatar I can see why, you got some freaky lookin ears there.:eddie:

tbl
5/8/2006, 02:03 PM
I saw these on sale last week...

http://www.gr13f.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/dumbpix/hp/1.jpg

Then again, you could always go quadraphonic.

http://members.cox.net/quadraphonic/headphones/MEP%2004-H%20QUADRAPHONIC%20HEADPHONES.JPG

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/8/2006, 02:03 PM
I got the 2s. The ear fitters I use are the really soft plastic ones. On the left ear, I use the little bitty one, on the right ear, I use the medium sized one.

The only complaint I have is that the cord is too thick. You get a bit of a stethescope type thing where you can hear when the cord rubs on something. I can imagine that if you were to use these while being active, you might get a lot of that going on. I think the 3s have a much thinner cord.

For sitting at a desk and working or on a plane or at the library or on a train, there's no problem. If you were to use these jogging, I would think that it might interfere. Of course, if you use these jogging, you're probably gonna die because you couldn't hear a car coming.

I tested the bose sound cancelling ones and these seem to shut the outside world out a lot better. Very seldom to I have to increase the iPod volume to anything above about an 8th of the way across. Even on a plane.

I had a pair of jvc sound cancelling headphones that I thought were pretty good, but there's no freaking comparison. Plus they were bulky.

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/8/2006, 02:04 PM
aww geez. I didn't know I was following the light saber headphones. Nobody can follow that.

tbl
5/8/2006, 02:08 PM
:D

That's it for me! Have a good night!

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/8/2006, 02:08 PM
I think I'm gonna get the 2s. Last week while flying and stuff I realized that a good-fitting earbud is pretty important. I hardly ever use earphones but I had to a lot last week...

Felt like I slept on my ear wrong or something...it still kinda hurts.

49r
5/8/2006, 02:10 PM
So....what's the fan for?

To blow your hair back for that "action sequence" look?

achiro
5/8/2006, 02:14 PM
So....what's the fan for?

To blow your hair back for that "action sequence" look?
That or to keep your flowing locks from catching ablaze from the heat of the light bulbs...er...I mean light SABERS.

49r
5/8/2006, 02:55 PM
I wonder how well the mic works what with the buzzing of the light sabers and the hum of the fan in front...