PDA

View Full Version : My take on the Pride and Fightin' Aggie Band!

oumartin
11/14/2005, 06:38 PM
I dont' understand peoples love affair with the fightin' aggie band. I believe what impresses people is their precission marching and fancy bugle flags. I agree that all that flashy stuff and good military marching is cool and stuff but they dont' sound any better than any other band out there. They are not an overpowering band. They are fun to watch cuz they are flashy with their shiny swords and bugels but overall just an average band to me.

The Pride seemed to sound louded and better than any other time this year that I have heard em(3 times). They were loud enuff and sounded good enuff for me. I'm not a big fan on their formations and such but I thought sound wise they were better than the fightin aggie band.

Loved the national anthem!

the boy and I also enjoyed the percussion performance before the game and was really impressed with the female snare drum player!!!!! ;)

IronSooner
11/14/2005, 07:28 PM
I think it's just their precision marching that everybody loves. The Pride doesn't really march - they're a walk-to-your-position-and-stand-there kinda band. I'm surprised it took so long before they finally started making the OU shape on the field. Would be nice if they'd do some actual marching while playing.

oumartin
11/14/2005, 08:40 PM
i hear ya Iron! i was impressed with the prides sound saturday

BajaOklahoma
11/14/2005, 08:44 PM
Lil Baja would agree with you. She was very disappointed in the Aggies band.
She also mentioned that the Pride was playing louder this week.

oumartin
11/14/2005, 08:48 PM
oh, I'm sorry i missed Lil Bajas take..

Is the FOCK the only place that still does the wave? Thats the dumbest thing to do. I'm a child and lover of the eighties but gosh.
and what a dead crowd too.. I see on television at different games people waving stuff and making all sorts of noise and we got nuttin' at the FOCK.

KABOOKIE
11/14/2005, 09:34 PM
I've seen the FTAMB 3 years in a row now. Same sheeat different year. A ****ing monkey could do that routine.

GottaHavePride
11/14/2005, 10:20 PM
I've seen the FTAMB 3 years in a row now. Same sheeat different year. A ****ing monkey could do that routine.

You just summed up PrideTrombone's near-legendary rant from 4 or 5 years ago. ;)

Although I have to admit, the stuff they do with the banners on the trumpets is pretty sweet. Other than that, as far as the marching they do what they do pretty well, but it's not that difficult to do if you spend all year learning how to do that.

The Pride sounds better (still) than they do, but I think the Pride is still not expecting enough of themselves. I think this was the second time this season that they essentially repeated the show from the week before, and there's no reason (especially with an off week) that they couldn't have fielded an entirely new show, drill and all.

oumartin
11/14/2005, 10:29 PM
Anyone hear Traber after the game say that the FTAMB was the most impressive thing in the stadium that day..... Doesn't take much to snow him does it.

KaiserSooner
11/14/2005, 10:50 PM
Traber..... Doesn't take much to snow him does it.

:D

He's a simple fellar :texan:

SicEmBaylor
11/14/2005, 11:23 PM
The Pride=A College Band
The Aggie Band=Faux-Military Reform School Band

That pretty much sums things up.

OUlissa
11/14/2005, 11:33 PM
The aggie band marches in the same style that my parents did in the 60s. I don't understand how that is impressive to people. BTW, did anyone else notice how small they were this year, or did they just bring a pep band?

11/15/2005, 03:13 AM
They only travel with about 1/2 the band.

Okieflyer
11/15/2005, 08:02 AM
The aggie band marches in the same style that my parents did in the 60s. I don't understand how that is impressive to people. BTW, did anyone else notice how small they were this year, or did they just bring a pep band?

No offense, but that is why it is a "Marching Band" and not a "Dance Team". I think everyone likes it because nobody else is doing it. They all look alike anymore. I've been in "Military Drill" teams and "Drum and Bugle" and that takes a bunch of practice.

But having said that, I still refuse to clap during the Aggie Fight song. :)

PrideTuba
11/15/2005, 09:25 AM
well technically the aggie band is taking a 6 to 5 step, which is normal distance for the average person walking. A "marching band" uses the 8 to 5 step which is 23 1/2 inches. The reason nobody else is doing what the A&M band does is because everyone did it in the 60's and marching bands have evolved to a new "corps" style of marching. The only difficult thing the A&M band does is, wait there is nothing difficult about it, junior high bands could do that. I will give credit to the aggie band, because they do sound good when they play, even though their halftime music is super slow. Im sure if the whole band was there they would have blown the Pride out of the stadium.

Okieflyer
11/15/2005, 11:13 AM
The only difficult thing the A&M band does is, wait there is nothing difficult about it, junior high bands could do that.

You must very young if you think anyone could do it. If your a member of "The Pride", I would have to say your not taking enough credit for what you do know. Not just anyone can make a band like that. And there is nothing wrong with the type of marching they did in the '60s. If looks good to the average fan, great!

mdklatt
11/15/2005, 11:46 AM
What the A&M band does marching wise is nothing but a follow-the-leader drill. HS freshmen can do that after their first week of summer band.

KABOOKIE
11/15/2005, 11:56 AM
Jack booted thuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugs!

That is all. Just wanted to say that in a post.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/15/2005, 01:17 PM
What the A&M band does marching wise is nothing but a follow-the-leader drill. HS freshmen can do that after their first week of summer band.

Just like UT...

apusooner
11/15/2005, 02:20 PM
do you guys remember in, i think it was 2001, when the pride did the salute to american forces show? it was simialr to an a&m show and we had at least a week and we couldnt pull off a straight line. i think it may be harder than it looks. the pride sure as hell cant do it. they have tried, and it failed miserably. i know cause i was in it. and i watched people run into easch other countless times. even during the performance.

Soonerborn03
11/15/2005, 02:35 PM
The Pride seemed to sound louded and better than any other time this year that I have heard em(3 times). They were loud enuff and sounded good enuff for me. I'm not a big fan on their formations and such but I thought sound wise they were better than the fightin aggie band.The reason we sounded louder Saturday may be because we did not move while we played in this show. We moved to a new set and stopped and played except for the ending of the show. For the most part though, we moved, stopped, and then played.

TheBobbyTrain
11/15/2005, 02:42 PM
do you guys remember in, i think it was 2001, when the pride did the salute to american forces show? it was simialr to an a&m show and we had at least a week and we couldnt pull off a straight line. i think it may be harder than it looks. the pride sure as hell cant do it. they have tried, and it failed miserably. i know cause i was in it. and i watched people run into easch other countless times. even during the performance.

i think they had like 3 weeks to learn this one but on saturday there were still people out of place, out of step, not knowing where to go, etc... it was pretty funny to watch.

fadada1
11/15/2005, 02:43 PM
They only travel with about 1/2 the band.
listeater gobbled up the rest of 'em??????

mdklatt
11/15/2005, 03:59 PM
it was simialr to an a&m show and we had at least a week and we couldnt pull off a straight line. i think it may be harder than it looks. the pride sure as hell cant do it.

Marching and playing at the same time is a different story, but the kind of marching A&M does is theoretically a lot easier--if each leader knows what he's doing.

soonersponge
11/15/2005, 04:02 PM
The A&M band is the best I have been around. The play great songs and they are really loud. I can hardly ever hear the Pride.

mdklatt
11/15/2005, 04:19 PM
The play great songs

So great they never ever change the show.

and they are really loud

It's not hard to play loud. It is hard to play good. And playing loud and good is really hard.

soonersponge
11/15/2005, 04:22 PM
OU never changes either. The Pride plays the same stuff every game. They just change 1 song or so at halftime.

11/15/2005, 04:26 PM
OK, you band folks can talk about how bad the A&M band is all you want. I'm sure they aren't as talented as you. And I'll agree that they only play between 4 and 10 songs during the course of an entire year. (10 songs is a bit of a stretch)

But you must admit that an occasional break from a band assuming a stationary amoeba formation and playing show tunes might be something that a football audience in middle America wants on occasion, right?)

The Aggie band plays patriotic songs. Yes, they are the same songs every year since the 40s. (Well, except for the theme from Patten) The formations are different every game, but look much the same from week to week to those who only see them once or eight times a year.

However, they don't stop moving during the performance and look pretty sharp, from above, in their drills.

There is room for both types of bands. I love The Pride, and they never fail to get me fired up every time I throw in the CD crossing the Red River. But in my 6 years of working here and going on most every road game, one thing is consisitent... the away crowds tend to really enjoy a performance from he Aggie band.

(Oh, and A&M plays sub-par football for the most part... I've noticed that too)

mdklatt
11/15/2005, 04:38 PM
But you must admit that an occasional break from a band assuming a stationary amoeba formation and playing show tunes might

I don't know why The Pride doesn't move around more while they play. My HS bands were almost always in motion.

PrideTuba
11/15/2005, 10:49 PM
You must very young if you think anyone could do it. If your a member of "The Pride", I would have to say your not taking enough credit for what you do know. Not just anyone can make a band like that. And there is nothing wrong with the type of marching they did in the '60s. If looks good to the average fan, great!

I was a member of the Pride, and I know anyone can do it, I have seen some horrible marchers do it. There is a tuba player in the Pride and he came from a texas high school that marched just like A&M does, and we have talked about how easy it is. It is not difficult at all to march like that, if you can walk in a straight line, then you can march like that.

OK, you band folks can talk about how bad the A&M band is all you want. I'm sure they aren't as talented as you. And I'll agree that they only play between 4 and 10 songs during the course of an entire year. (10 songs is a bit of a stretch)

But you must admit that an occasional break from a band assuming a stationary amoeba formation and playing show tunes might be something that a football audience in middle America wants on occasion, right?)

The Aggie band plays patriotic songs. Yes, they are the same songs every year since the 40s. (Well, except for the theme from Patten) The formations are different every game, but look much the same from week to week to those who only see them once or eight times a year.

However, they don't stop moving during the performance and look pretty sharp, from above, in their drills.

There is room for both types of bands. I love The Pride, and they never fail to get me fired up every time I throw in the CD crossing the Red River. But in my 6 years of working here and going on most every road game, one thing is consisitent... the away crowds tend to really enjoy a performance from he Aggie band.

(Oh, and A&M plays sub-par football for the most part... I've noticed that too)

I think they are a good band and even though they play the same songs year after year, im positive they can play other things, the talent is there. I just think marching wise, they arent doing anything special. You are right, it is a good break from the routine stuff the Pride has been doing.

SeattleOUstudent
5/18/2006, 10:39 PM
dude...this stuff is impressive, no matter how monotone their actual melodies are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4ZbbQcM_RI&search=Aggy%20Aggies%20A%26M%20UT%20football%20poo p%20Longhorn%20Band%20Parsons%20Mounted%20Cavalry

Jimminy Crimson
5/18/2006, 10:43 PM
It's not even foosball season and people are bringin up band shiot. heh.

The aggy band sucks. Nothing about them is good. If you like them, it's just b/c people told you to like them, so you do. Nothing is good about them. Nothing is fancy about them. Their marching isn't all that good or cool, either.

They're just trying to hypnotize you to join the cult.

woop! :mack:

stoops the eternal pimp
5/18/2006, 10:45 PM
we sat in the endzone were their yell leaders where.....different for sure, but they did the same little song and dance thru the game....I thought one cheer is all you got?

Jimminy Crimson
5/18/2006, 10:45 PM
we sat in the endzone were their yell leaders where.....different for sure, but they did the same little song and dance thru the game....I thought one cheer is all you got?

You should see what they do to each other! :eek:

SicEmBaylor
5/18/2006, 10:48 PM
I honest to god can not stand :texan: Aggies. I may hate aggies as much as GDC hates the whorns. You all think OSU is bad, but thank God you don't live a couple of hours from College Station.

Those people are just insane; absolutely freaking insane. And this isn't just the rivalry speaking, they're honestly messed up.

SeattleOUstudent
5/18/2006, 10:56 PM
Aggies are funny....come on now. All that "tradition"...how many championships?

SicEmBaylor
5/18/2006, 11:12 PM
Aggies are funny....come on now. All that "tradition"...how many championships?

proud gonzo
5/19/2006, 12:10 AM
dude...this stuff is impressive, no matter how monotone their actual melodies are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4ZbbQcM_RI&search=Aggy%20Aggies%20A%26M%20UT%20football%20poo p%20Longhorn%20Band%20Parsons%20Mounted%20Cavalry
no, it isn't. know what they're doing? they're marching in ****ing straight lines taking 6 steps to every 5 yards and remembering how many counts before they do an about face. and every once in a while they turn 90 degrees instead of 180 and at the end they turn 45 degrees. OH MY GOD.

whoopty frickin doo. ****in aggies.

Jimminy Crimson
5/19/2006, 12:19 AM
not impressive at all.

i take ***** more impressive.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/19/2006, 12:19 AM
I remember their announcer during their nazi march at halftime...Now presenting Gods gift to all mankind....Watch now as they turn after marching in a straight line for 75 yards

proud gonzo
5/19/2006, 12:21 AM
I guess it's impressive for aggies to learn to count higher than 20 though. :rolleyes:

stoops the eternal pimp
5/19/2006, 12:22 AM
your right...I guess sometimes we put too high of expectations on them...Like move in a circle or something

SicEmBaylor
5/19/2006, 12:22 AM
I guess it's impressive for aggies to learn to count higher than 20 though. :rolleyes:
I wish I could spek you twice.

Jimminy Crimson
5/19/2006, 12:24 AM
They have trainers every 10 yards barking shizz to them.

I mean fo real.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/19/2006, 12:24 AM
At least that cocky lil sac Reggie Mcneal wont be back in the stadium

LoyalFan
5/19/2006, 04:20 PM
The only difficult thing the A&M band does is, wait there is nothing difficult about it, junior high bands could do that.
If their whole band was there they would have blown the Pride out of the stadium.

Assertion One Response: BS!
Assertion Two Response: Correct.

LF

Boarder
5/19/2006, 04:33 PM
I agree that junior high bands could do it. Probably with only a month of practice starting from zero. Not like half of them have to learn the songs or anything.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/19/2006, 04:36 PM
I agree that junior high bands could do it. Probably with only a month of practice starting from zero. Not like half of them have to learn the songs or anything.

:les: HA HA! YOU POSTED IN AN AGGIE THREAD!

Boarder
5/19/2006, 04:38 PM
Aggie, not aggy. :les: STALKER!

Also, thier songs consist of quarter notes or longer. It's like a 6th grade band book.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/19/2006, 04:42 PM
Sorry. I just take any chance I get to use the leshead.

:les: I LOVE IT!